006

The Heart's Best Mistake

 

January 2012

 

 

Marti slid in the Jaguar and it purred to life as Mark started the engine.

“So, who’s coming over?” She asked and dusted off her skirt.

“Hyemin.”

“Okay..” She looked at him, hoping he would continue, but he didn’t.

“So shady.” She muttered.

Mark stepped on the gas and soon they were heading far away from the university.

“Jinyoung replied, he said they’ll catch up. So, who’s Hyemin?”

“She’s my best friend.” Mark replied, not elaborating.

Martina sighed.

“Mark, I know you don’t like to talk much. But you dragged me out of school, bag less, wallet less and phone less, you kind of have to explain. I’m demanding you too.”

Mark just chuckled and rubbed her hair.

Hey!” She slapped his hand away.

I’ll explain later, T. For now, just put on your seatbelt.

“He’s smiling. Wowza.” She muttered darkly.

 

 

Jaebum and BamBam watched as Mark drummed his fingers on the table, they were at their favorite pizza joint, waiting for their food.

Was he poisoned? Or ever got in contact with some narcotics? He’s so..happy it’s weird.” Martina whispered to Jackson.

No, I don’t think so, M. It’s Hyemin. She’s coming over to visit.

I know, Mark’s lady bff. Does she study here too?

In Seoul, she’s a year older than Mark. They’ve known each other since forever.

Marti nodded and glanced at Mark again, then she paused.

He’s in love with her.” She breathed, Jackson snorted.

Took you long enough, sweetheart.

Martina nodded but she saw the frown and sadness in Jackson’s face as he looked at Mark.

Is something wrong with her?” Mona asked, Jackson exhaled.

Hyemin is the daughter of Mark’s dad, president Tuan’s secretary.

Martina nodded and stared at Jackson, the latter just blinked back.

Okay, so?” Mona looked at him.

Secretary’s daughter.” Jackson said again.

Jackson, I understand English perfectly.” She reminded him, Jinyoung shushed them just as a girl clad in a pair of jeans and a sweater walked in.

“Let me be spoiled son of wealthy Chinese businessman for a bit, okay?” Jackson pulled her from the seat just as Mark greeted the girl with a hug.

The fact that he’s meeting her here, far away from school, means that they cant be seen together.

But, why?

“M, she..her social standing…It’s not exactly what the Tuans would accept. We all know how Mark feels for her, but she’ll never be accepted, they will be accepted because she doesn’t belong in our circle. And that’s the truth.”

“You brat.” Mona slapped his arm, Jackson winced.

You asked for an explanation, young miss.

Still, why would they let that bother them? Elite society and its , really.” She said as they padded back to the table.

We can call it , but we’re still part of it.” Jackson sighed.

 

 

“T, this Hyemin.” Mark said as their pizzas arrived.

“Hi, it’s actually Martina or Mona, my Korean name. Mark just loves his monosyllables. Nice to meet you.” Mona smiled and offered her hand.

“Same here, BamBam was just telling me about you.” Hyemin smiled. Martina chuckled.

“I hope it’s all good, no drunken stories please.” She grinned at BamBam before leaning back on her seat.

“So, how’s Seoul?” Mark spoke.

“Good, everything’s good, actually, my father says hi. And worst winter ever.” Hyemin smiled and picked up a slice for herself.

“I haven’t been to Seoul for almost a year.” Mona faced Jinyoung.

“You didn’t come home?” Hyemin looked up.

“I was stuck here the whole Christmas break. I miss home.” She shrugged.

“I actually brought some kimchi, well..smuggled.” Hyemin whispered, they laughed.

“I’m not sharing.” Mark took Hyemin’s hand, Mona smiled.

“Whatever, Tuan. Thanks for the pizza, but I really need to get back to school. It was nice meeting you, Hyemin. How about dinner later? My place.” She offered.

“I can cook. Korean barbeque night?” Mark was excited, it made them smile.

They all could see how Hyemin affected him.

“Cool, I’ll see you guys in school.

“Hey, T?”  Mark tossed her his keys.

“I’m ditching, I’ll get the car at your place later.”

BamBam and Yugyeom grinned. Ever since Mona entered their group, Mark was always a little protective of her.

Thanks, rich boy.

 

 

Mona put the Jaguar to a stop and pulled the key out of the ignition. She was already making her way towards the elevator when her phone rang.

“I know, I’m a bit late. But I had to get some groceries~”

“Have you seen Mark hyung?” Yugyeom asked hurriedly, Mona paused.

“No, aren’t we supposed to meet up at my place?” She asked as she pressed the button before her.

“No, noona..something happened, we don’t know where hyung is. Can you call me if you see him?”

“Sure, but Gyeom, what~” Yugyeom ended the call, Mona frowned and tightened her grip on the bags as she got in the elevator. She arrived at her floor and arrived at her penthouse apartment. She dropped her bags on the kitchen counter and shook off her suede jacket.

Something’s not right.” She muttered as she looked around her, the guys should have arrived by now. But her friends weren’t around yet. It wasn’t like them to be late. Her thoughts went to Yugyeom’s call earlier, she was about to take off her shoes when her phone rang.

Miss Jeon? Martina Jeon?

“Yeah? Is something the matter?” She asked, she recognized the voice of the building’s doorman.

Yes, ma’am. A mister Mark Tuan is looking for you. I understand he has the permission to come up, but he requests you come down.

Marti’s brows met but she ended the call and jogged to the elevator.

 

 

 

Martina Jeon cursed inaudibly as she stepped out of the building, in her rush to come down, she forgot to put on her jacket and now she was wearing just her pencil skirt and her white structured off-shoulder top, and she was freezing.

Hey, rich boy.” She said as she spotted Mark, she tossed her keys at him and for the first time he didn’t catch it, he was just staring at her.

Marti grew confused, she was about to lean over to pick up the key when Mark yanked her arm and pulled her with him.

Mark, what are you~ Oh, hi!” She saw Hyemin standing before them; beside her was a male that looked around their age.

“Mark~” Hyemin was frowning as she looked at him.

“I’m not lying. It’s true.” Mark faced Hyemin, Mona felt the tension surrounding them.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were going to tell me all this today.” She was frowning, Marti noticed how the male beside her grew uncomfortable, then she saw their linked hands.

Martina paused; her eyes went to Mark, his grip on her wrist loosened.

“I said that because we had a fight earlier, I wanted to get T jealous so she’d forgive me.”

“We…fought?” Mona looked up at him, but Mark ignored her. He was still facing Hyemin and the male.

“Why do I have to be jealous?”

Is this about the car?” Marti queried again then before she could look at Hyemin, Mark pulled her forward.

 

I can explain.” He whispered hastily before claiming her lips with his.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++