014

The Heart's Best Mistake

 

2014, London

 

 

It has been a week ever since their “staycation” at the countryside, but Martina knew some things had already changed between them.

Mark was unusually tensed and a little distracted. And Hyemin and Minsoo were living with them.

Hyemin story made Martin cry when Mark first told her.

Her marriage’s happiness only lasted for a few months then her husband started to change. He started abusing her, hitting her, shouting at her and yelling at her in public.

Mona even noticed the bruises on Hyemin’s legs and arms.

“T?”

Marti looked up from her laptop; she was at the kitchen sitting on one of the stools. He was clad in a plain white shirt and denim jeans.

Are you flying back this Sunday?” He asked as he approached her.

Yes.” She nodded; Mark stood behind her seat and pressed his palms on the marble counter.

Well, the report’s looking good.” Mark commented with a smile, Mona grinned, and then Mark spun her around and claimed her lips with his.

I don’t think they still bother to mission report to our grandmothers.” She mused; Mark chuckled and pecked the side of her lips before pulling away.

“Mark?” Hyemin was standing by the doorway, Mona started to move but Mark would not budge.

“What is it?” He asked without moving from his position, Marti sighed.

“It…can wait…I’m sorry.” Hyemin turned away and left.

“Mark.” Mona exhaled as the other girl disappeared.

“You asked her to stay with us for a while, now you’re being rude. I don’t understand. You love this girl, and you’ve been cold to her the whole time.”

I’m cold? I offered her protection.” Mark replied.

Wrong choice of words. But what I meant was, you weren’t like this to her. She wanted to hug you yesterday, but you pulled away.

Mark stood up straightly and shook his head.

T, some things change. She doesn’t mean~

What if now she likes you back? I think she loves you, Mark. And she’s just realized it now, give it a chance. I know you were hurt when she left you, but she came back.” She gathered her things.

Think about it.” Mona looked at him before going up to their room.

“She doesn’t matter anymore. It’s you T, not her.” Mark whispered.

 

 

“It’s depressing, really.” Martina sighed as she pressed the phone closer to her ear; she was inside their room, sitting by the windowsill.

“I don’t really care about her.” Harin muttered.

“H, her husband was~”

“I know, that’s too bad, really. But you were the one who said how this girl chose the other guy over Mark. Now she’s back, messing up with his life.”

“I don’t think she has anyone else. She has a son too.” Mona nodded as she leaned on her knees.

“Exactly, she has a son with that guy. Why is she forcing herself between you and~”

M looked up just as Mark entered the room.

“I’ll call you back.” Mona murmured before setting her phone down.

I ordered takeout for dinner.” Mark said carefully.

That sounds great.” She nodded as she slid down from the windowsill, Mark sighed and sat on the leather couch.

We have to be in Taiwan the week after next.” Martina started, Mark nodded without speaking.

I know. I kind of need to step out for a bit. I have to get a few materials from school.” Mark stood up, he grabbed his trench coat and looked at her. His brows met briefly before walking up to her and kissing the side of her head.

Okay.” Martina nodded; he exhaled before leaving the room.

 

 

I’ll do it.” Mona smiled as she gathered the plates, the maid nodded and slowly stepped back. She brought the utensils to the table and paused as she noticed Hyemin facing her.

“Minsoo’s asleep?” She said as she set the items down on the dining table.

“He is…Hey, Mona?”

Martina looked up.

“Can we talk?” Hyemin asked her.

“Sure. We can talk in Mark’s study.” Mona nodded and gestured for the girl to follow her.

Mona led the other girl in the room, she pulled the doors shut before resting herself on Mark’s chair.

“Is something bothering you, Hyemin?”

“Actually…that day when Mark kissed you,”

Marti paused.

“Before that happened, he told me about how he felt for me. At that time, I don’t know what I was thinking, he got me confused and the way he said it scared me. He was my best friend, how could he have feelings for me?”

Mona looked at her fingers.

“It wasn’t long when I realized that I love him back. I think I always have, I just denied it.” Hyemin exhaled, Marti’s eyes went to the girl.

“Hyemin, why are you say~”

“I know, Mona. I know about your marriage.”

Martina paused, she didn’t know what to say.

“I heard you two talking. After he kissed you, he dragged you back to the building. I followed you two, because I wanted to talk to Mark. Then I heard you two.”

Marti’s brows met.

“I know you two are just pretending, Mona.”

“Hyemin,”

“And I’m asking you if you could give me chance to make things right with Mark again.”

Mona bit on her lower lip.

“You..have to ask Mark about this, Hyemin, I just~”

“I want him back, Mona.” Hyemin met her gaze. Martina swallowed and nodded.

“Of course.” Mona nodded before excusing herself, she grabbed her phone and left the room.

 

 

 

Mark did not come home for dinner, and nobody could reach him. Not even Martina.

So the meal was quick and quiet, Minsoo was too sleepy to notice how the two adults with him were awkward and unsure of each other.

Marti stepped back in the room and shut the door behind her, she leaned on the door and sighed.

She took out her phone and dialed.

Please have it delivered in Taiwan, there’s been a change of plans.” She said politely.

Yes, I will take care of it, ma’am.

She tossed her phone on the table before taking a quick shower. She changed into a loose shirt and a pair of silk pajamas.

She skipped drying her hair and just went straight to bed. Hyemin’s words started flooding back to her.

“I know you two are just pretending, Mona.”

“I want him back, Mona.”

Marti stared at the ceiling, her forehead furrowed.

Then her eyelids started to droop, sleep had consumed her. Ten minutes later, Mark quietly entered their room. He took off his shoes and shirt before heading straight to the bathroom.

Clad in a pair of sweats and a shirt, he stepped back in the room and paused as his eyes went to T’s vanity table. His lips quirked up as he noticed the diamond ring he had given her sitting beside her Cartier watch and pearl earrings.

He padded towards the bed and carefully lay beside her, Mona stirred and turned to face him.

“T?” He spoke softly, no reply came.

Mark smiled and gently tucked a lock of her hair behind ear. Martina mumbled incoherently before inching closer to him, Mark chuckled softly before pulling her to his chest.

 

Good night, T.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++