One Step Closer

In Full Colors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hakyeon stared at his father, who was sitting on his designated chair opposite to the one Hakyeon was currently sitting. He was reading the newspaper quietly, not bothering to strike a conversation with Hakyeon. Hakyeon was used to it, but he needed to converse with him today. That was the whole point of him coming here today in the first place.

 

Hakyeon sighed. If his father was not going to start the conversation, he would have to take it to

his own hands. “How have you been, father? Is your health well? Have you been taking your medicine?” Hakyeon asked him.

“Hmmm,” His father nodded as a response. Hakyeon pouted. That was not the response he wanted. Some elaboration would have even nice.

 

Hakyeon stood up and looked around the room. At the back of the room was a fireplace. On top of that fireplace hung, large photo of his mother. It was the biggest marked photograph in the whole house. Hakyeon wondered why. How important was his mother to his father to have him enmark such a giant picture of her?

 

Hakyeon did not remember his mother. She passed away when he was two of a sickness Hakyeon did not remember. He had never asked too many questions about her. He grew up looking up at this picture and making up a story about her. Every time he tried asking a question about her, he was shot down by his father. Hakyeon only learnt that she was not to be spoken of in the house.

 

Until now that was.

 

Hakyeon had a burning curiosity over his mother. That kind of person was she? Was his father different around her? Was she nice? Was she his father’s soulmate? Hakyeon came here with a specific set of questions he wanted to ask. Asking questions about his mother could be added that task. It would not hurt.

 

“Who was my mother?” Hakyeon asked as he looked up at the photo of his mother.

“A woman,” His father simply said and flipped to the next page of the newspaper, “A good woman.”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes. “I need some elaboration, father, please.”

“Why?” His father put his newspaper down and looked at Hakyeon.

“What?” Hakyeon turned to face his father, “Can I not be curious about my own mother?”

“You've never been,” His father said.

“I've never been allowed to,” Hakyeon responded. “Who was my mother? I would like to know now.”

His father sighed and looked away, “She was a good person, a great wife, and an amazing mother.”

Hakyeon pursed his lips shut. That was probably the most he had heard his father say about h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter