Stars

Day by Day

Jimin and I loved our nanny.

She was amazing; possibly a better parent than the two of us combined. Our children adored her and Haru actually ate the food she cooked.

There was just one problem.

She clearly wasn’t over Taehyung.

 

At the moment, Haru and Isabel sat curled up in the window seat, snuggled under a blanket and reading a book, the winter morning sunlight catching the gold flecks in Haru’s brown eyes.

“Morning, Isabel.” Jimin waved at her with a smile on his face. “How are you?”

“Good, thanks. How are you guys doing?” Isabel returned his smile. She really was quite pretty, in an unexpected way. Which sounds y, I know, but I meant like, in a unique way. Like, at first glance seems good-looking, but at a second glance, exquisite.

“Good. You eat breakfast yet? I was just about to put something together.”

“I didn’t, actually.”

“Great!” I grinned at her. “We’d love for you to join us.”

 

Jimin made us scrambled eggs with rice and kimchi. Nothing fancy, but still delicious. Haru dropped several pieces of egg onto the floor and tried to feed her kimchi to Yukon, who adamantly refused it. Isabel sat shyly at the table and took as little food as possible. She was truly wonderful with our children, but still a little awkward around us. I supposed she had a personality that was better with kids than adults.

“Baby, what time are you heading out today?” Jimin asked me.

“Um…” I glanced at the clock, “about half an hour. Maybe forty-five minutes.”

“Mama? What are you doin’ today?”

“I am hanging out with Uncle TaeTae! Interviewing him for the new book I’m writing.”

Haru pouted. “I wanna come!”

“You have school today, little love. How about I invite Uncle Tae for dinner? You can help me make dessert, hmm?”

“Yeah! I wanna make, um, brownies.”

I smiled at her and she dimpled back up at me. “Sounds delicious, babycakes.”

“Is Taehyung meeting you here?” Jimin glanced at me, then Isabel with a sneaky little smile. I shot him a look and he suddenly seemed very interested in staring at his breakfast.

“Yes. Then we’re getting coffee and heading over to his place.”

“Can I join?” He fluttered his eyelashes at me, attempting to be coquettish.

“No. Go and finish your solo album.”

I stood up from the table, empty plate in hand. Jimin frowned at me, so I kissed his cheek and gave him a pat on the head.

“I’ll see you later, babe. Don’t miss me too much.”

Jimin took my hand and kissed my fingers. “Love you.”

 

Taehyung arrived just after Jimin left for the studio. He looked cozy in a tan, thickly knitted sweater and black jeans. He had on socks that I knew Ji Eun had knitted for him the Christmas before.

“Mama! Mama, Uncle TaeTae is here!” Haru launched herself at his legs and kissed his knees.

“Haru! My baby! My angel! My favorite little love!” Taehyung picked her up and swung her around, then pulled her close into a hug and sprinkled her face with kisses.

Isabel stood awkwardly in the corner, holding Sun Jae and avoiding Taehyung’s eyes.

I walked in the living room, trying to put on my earrings and greet Taehyung at the same time. “Tae! How you doin’?”

“Good, good,” he leaned in and kissed my cheek. “Where’s your boy?”

“Here,” Isabel offered up shyly. She handed Sun Jae over with a smile. Taehyung winked at her, and their fingers brushed as he took the baby from her.

Damn, they were flirting over my baby.

 

I tied my shoes and kissed my daughter goodbye while Taehyung and Isabel chatted.

“So, how have you been, Bel? Still hanging out at that club we used to go to?”

“Not so much anymore.”

“Are you still seeing that guy you told me about?”

Isabel’s cheeks turned red. “Nope. You still seeing that girl you were in love with?”

Taehyung smiled and leaned in close, still cradling my child. “No. I’m not.”

“Aren’t you seeing Gemma?” I butted in, much to Isabel’s embarrassment.

Taehyung cut his eyes at me. “No, sunshine. I’m not.”

“Mama,” Haru tugged on my jacket, “are you taking me to school today?”

“No, baby. Isabel’s gonna take you and I’m going to go out with Uncle Taehyung.”

Her lower lip trembled and tears welled in her eyes. “Mama, I want you to take me.”

“I know, little love! But I’ll be here when you get home, okay? You’re gonna have so much fun with Isabel. She’s the best! She’s so fun!”

 

Taehyung handed Sun Jae to me, then crouched down next to Haru and kissed her head. “Isabel is really fun, sweetheart. Did you know we’re friends?”

Haru rolled her eyes, still a little tearful. “Daddy says you have a lot of girlfriends.”

He stifled a laugh. “I do have a lot of friends who are girls, yes. Don’t you?”

She stuck her thumb in , then nodded. She clung tightly to my hand.

“Isabel can be your friend, too. She’s really nice,” Taehyung gave her an encouraging smile. “Maybe she can take you to school today, hmm?”

Haru shrugged and looked down at her feet.

“And then afterwards,” he leaned in and whispered, “maybe I can pick you up from school and we can get a special treat.”

She clapped her hands over , eyes wide in excitement. “Can we?!”

“Sure, baby. Uncle TaeTae will buy you the best treat money has to offer. Anything you want.”

 

I held Sun Jae close for one last snuggle, then kissed Haru. Taehyung winked at Isabel on his way out the door.

“You big flirt,” I admonished as we raced down the stairs and stepped out into the bright March sunshine.

“Hey! She’s cute, okay?”

“She is. But don’t up our nanny situation, okay?”

Taehyung sighed. “You know, sunshine, I should just stop dating people related to you and Jimin. It never works out.”

“You should stop dating people who are in love with other people.”

There was a brief pause. Taehyung shoved his hands in his pockets and hunched up his shoulders, frowning into the wind.

“So, you knew Gemma was in love with Jimin?”

I touched his arm. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know for sure, but I had a feeling.”

“Jimin knew?”

“He was in denial. But then she confessed and it was a little hard to deny the cold, hard fact.”

“While she was with me,” he asked flatly, although it was more of a statement. He already knew the answer.

“It was a long time ago, Taehyung.”

“Yeah, and my relationship with her really ed me up, so thanks for that. A little heads up would have been nice.”

He let out a puff of air. “What’s so good about you two that people stay in unrequited love with you for such a long time?”

I shrugged. “Jimin’s really pretty. In every aspect of his entire being.”

“Mmm,” Taehyung hummed in agreement, “you know he’s filming one of his music videos today.”

“Yeah. I wanted to watch and take notes, but he said he’d be nervous with me around.”

“He’s come a long way.”

I watched as a cloud passed over the sun, and smiled up at the sky. “I’m so proud of him. I remember the days when he didn’t think his singing voice was good. And now, he’s making an mv for his first solo album.”

Taehyung took my hand. “Let’s sneak in and watch.”

 

The first part of the shoot took place at the dance studio. That was all Jimin would tell me. I wasn’t allowed to know the song or the storyline. In fact, he hadn’t really let me listen to the entire album, even though the tracklist was done and all the songs were recorded. I didn’t see a need for all the secrecy.

When we walked in, the studio was empty except for Jin and Namjoon, who were practicing choreography. After greeting them, I asked about Jimin’s whereabouts. They exchanged a glance, then turned to Taehyung.

“She doesn’t know?”

“What don’t I know?”

Jin turned to me. “Jimin’s in Busan.”

I stared at him. “Busan’s hours away. He said he’d be home for dinner.”

“Ah, you know, there was a last-minute change to the filming schedule. He probably didn’t know until he got here this morning.”

“It’s been, like, an hour since he left this morning. What is he doing in Busan? Where is he filming there?”

Jin stared at his feet for a long moment, then looked back up into my eyes. “His parents’ restaurant.”

Namjoon shushed him. “It’s a surprise.”

“What is? Just tell me! I’m good at keeping secrets.”

“He’s filming the story of how you first met,” Taehyung blurted out. “But he didn’t want you to know because it’s a surprise and also he worried you’d be jealous of the girl they picked to play you.”

I took a moment to process this information.

“Why would I be jealous?”

“It’s Hwasa. Jimin asked her as a favor.”

Hmm. Hwasa as me, huh?

“Her thighs are nicer than mine,” I mused, “but it would explain why Jimin has been texting her so frequently.”

“He didn’t pick her for her thighs, sunshine,” Namjoon laughed.

“Still…I don’t know if I like it. They’ve kissed before.”

“They kiss in the music video,” Jin watched for my reaction. I knew he said this to stir up trouble, but I couldn’t help how I felt about it.

I excused myself and placed a call to my husband.

 

Jimin answered after a few rings. “Hey, babe. What’s up?”

“Hey. You on your way to Busan?”

“Yeah,” he replied with some surprise. “How’d you know?”

“Ah, Tae and I had the idea that we’d sneak in and watch you filming, but you weren’t here.”

He tsked. “Couple of rascals. Yeah, I don’t think I’ll make it for dinner tonight.”

“So, Hwasa’s in your music video?”

Jimin coughed. “Oh, . Tae tell you that, too?”

“Jin, actually. You guys kiss, huh? Were you ever going to mention that to me?”

He fell silent. When he spoke again, his voice was very quiet.

"Why were you talking to Jin?”

“Oh. He was in the studio with Namjoon.”

There was another pause.

“I’m gonna kiss Hwasa,” Jimin stated, “and I asked for her specifically to be in this music video. Because we’re friends and it’s good for both of our careers. People love videos with guest stars. And because she’s talented and I think she’ll do a good job.”

“Since when have you guys been friends? You didn’t introduce me?”

“Just for a little while. When I went to California the first time, she was there. I didn’t introduce you because she’s been really busy and she’s shy. We’ll have her over for dinner sometime, yeah?”

“Yeah.”

Jimin cleared his throat, “Baby, listen. There’s nothing going on between us. I hid the music video from you because I wanted it to be a romantic surprise.”

“I know, Jimin. I trust you.”

“I just don’t want you to feel like I would ever cheat on you.”

“I don’t,” I said quietly. “I don’t feel that way.”

“You’re not even the tiniest bit jealous?”

“Do you want me to be jealous?” I couldn’t help laughing. “Listen, I would save all your kisses for me, but you’re both professionals. I trust you, Jimin.”

“Thank you, sweetheart.”

 

I offered for Jimin to just stay at his parents’ house that night, and he agreed. I hated to spend even a night apart when his tour was coming up so soon, but it would be nice to have the television all to myself. I’d make a nice mug of hot chocolate after I put the kids to bed and cozy up on the couch to watch The Office.

Jimin didn’t like The Office. He said that Jim was selfish. I said that Jim had always reminded me of Jimin. Then Jimin would get all snotty and say that it was because Jim had chosen his career over his family, blah, blah, blah. But in reality, it was because Jim was such a sweetheart to Pam, always, the way Jimin had been to me.

 

Halfway through my second episode, he called me and interrupted my night of television watching without even being there.

“What’s up, Jiminie? How’s life in Busan?”

He sighed sleepily. “I’m sleeping in my childhood bed and I miss you. The sheets smell like you. I guess my parents haven’t washed them since we were last here.”

“How did your music video shooting go?”

“Good. Finished up fairly quickly.”

“How was kissing Hwasa?”

Jimin laughed. “Um, it was fine. It was regular.”

“Did it bring back memories?”

“Baby, don’t be like this,” he tsked. “It was just a kiss.”

“Did you get any thigh action?”

He snorted through his nose. “Shut the up.”

 

We giggled for a bit, but soon the conversation shifted to silence. I lowered the volume on the television so that Michael Scott’s loud antics were softened. Jimin breathed on the other side of the line, shifting into sleep.

“Your phone will die if you fall asleep without hanging up,” I reminded him.

“I just wanna be home,” he whispered. “I miss you.”

“I saw you this morning.”

“I still miss you.”

 

There was a brief pause.

“Do you remember when you thought I cheated on you?” Jimin’s voice was very quiet.

I drew in a breath, steadying myself. Why was he bringing this up? “Yes.”

“I didn’t tell you about Hwasa because I worried that you would think I was cheating on you with her.”

I couldn’t see the logic in this. “Jimin…you know I would have seen the music video, right? And that it would have been bad if I thought you were hiding it? Listen, Jimin, I don’t think you’re cheating on me or have ever cheated on me.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So why are you bringing this up?”

Jimin fell silent. I wondered what he was thinking as I heard his breath hitch on the other line. Was he thinking about the fact that I’d done the exact thing I’d been afraid of him doing? Was he thinking about how I’d kissed Jin, not for work, but because I’d wanted to?

Was he thinking about all the times I’d ed up and resenting me for them?

 

“I just want you to know. I just wanna make sure that you know you’re the only one for me.”

“I know, babe. I trust you.”

“I miss you,” he said again.

“I miss you, too.”

“Can you come?” Jimin’s voice was so small, so vulnerable. “I wanna be with you.”

“Jimin, it’s really far. And the kids…they’re asleep. Plus, Yukon, what am I gonna do with him?”

“Just come! It’s Saturday tomorrow and we can stay the whole weekend. My dad can make you pancakes and eggs and bacon. Besides, my parents hardly get to see Sun Jae. It’s been three months since Christmas; he’s gotten so big. Baby, please? Please, please, please?”

I could picture his puppy dog eyes as he pleaded with me. My resolve crumbled away as he let out a soft, defeated sigh.

“It’s fine. I knew you wouldn’t come.”

“I’ll come!”

“Really?!” Jimin’s shriek of glee was reward enough for the inconvenience of the drive.

“Yeah,” I smiled, so pleased that I’d made him happy. “I’ll come.”

 

It wasn’t easy transporting two sleeping children and a dog out of a second-story apartment with no elevator into the car, but I managed to do it without waking either of them. They slept the entire car ride to Busan while Yukon kept me company in the front seat.

Jimin met me at the door, looking sleepy and sweet in his too-big nightshirt and pajama bottoms.

“Hey.” I pressed my lips to his and folded him into my arms. He let out a soft exhale and relaxed against me.

“Sorry for being needy,” he mumbled into my shoulder.

“Don’t ever apologize for that,” I murmured, kissing his temple. “I’m always here for you.”

Jimin carded his fingers in my hair, murmuring soft, romantic words in my ear.

 

We stayed like that for a while, just holding each other in the doorway of his parents’ house until he started to shiver from the cold.

Jimin hadn’t told his parents we were coming because they were already asleep, so we took the kids up to his room to sleep. Haru slept on a small futon Jimin had had in his closet, piled high with blankets and Sun Jae barely manage to squeeze into his infant bassinette from Christmas. My baby boy was getting big.

 

Jimin sat on the edge of the bed, watching me as I changed into pajamas.

“I’m really happy you’re here.”

I pulled a hoodie over my head, then climbed into his lap and pressed my forehead to his.

“I’m really happy I’m here with you,” I murmured, kissing him. “I missed you today.”

“Tell me about your day,” Jimin requested, ducking his head to nuzzle his nose against my neck. “What’d you do?”

“Mm, tried to spy on you but then found out you were in Busan. Got lunch with Tae to interview him for the book. Ate too much for dinner. Snuggled a lot with Haru and fell asleep in her bed before I woke up with a start and realized I’d left Sun Jae in his swing unattended.”

“Oh man. Was he okay?”

“Yeah, he was snoozing.”

“That’s why we gotta tag-team bedtime.”

“You are my best bedtime buddy,” I grinned. “What about you? What was your day like?”

“Mm, tiring. We’re shooting more for the music video tomorrow, so I really should be sleeping. My skin will look tired.”

“You’ll still be beautiful. You’re always beautiful.”

 

I traced along his nose with the tip of my finger, then over the edge of his lips. Jimin smiled underneath my touch. I pressed forward to murmur into his ear.

“Can we go to the beach?”

He gestured to our sleeping children. “And leave the babies here unsupervised?”

“I wanna watch the sunrise with you.”

Jimin ran his fingers through his hair and his lips, contemplating. “So we’re not sleeping, huh? Tell you what. Let’s bundle ourselves up in these blankets and watch the sunrise from the porch. Yukon can watch the kids.”

“A trustworthy choice.”

“I thought so.”

 

JIMIN’S POV

 

There was an old swing on my parent’s back porch. I used to take naps there when my grandmother babysat me in the summer, back before she didn’t approve of me. I had only fond memories of this back porch. I told my wife I loved her for the first time while we ate watermelon. Later, I’d went back to the exact spot and carved a heart with the date of my confession underneath it. When she first told me she oved me, I added that date, too.

I turned my eyes to my sleepy wife, who had hidden most of herself underneath a red flannel blanket. A few messy curls framed her face; in the moonlight I could see the scattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose.

With a sigh, she tilted her head back to look at the stars, then breathed in the cold night air, slowly, deeply, eyes blinking shut. She reached for my hand with a small hum, then laved our fingers together. A small, contented smile on her face.

“I can’t wait to live here someday. Maybe we could build an addition, or convert the basement into a couple of bedrooms for the kids? Is that a thing basements can do?”

“I can’t say for sure.”

“We can hang up a hammock…” she gestured widely to the other side of the porch, “right here? And in the summer we can have those little fairy lights strung up over the fence”

“Oh, I like that idea. Maybe we can build a little enclosure for the cats to sun themselves without running away.”

“That sounds lovely.”

My wife let out a deep, satisfied sigh and pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders. She smiled and her dimples deepened.

“It’s nice to be back here,” she turned to me with a bright, uncontained smile.

I leaned in and kissed her, cupping her face in my hands. She let out a happy sound and pulled me closer, twining her fingers in my hair.

 

Around four in the morning, I went inside to make us both some hot chocolate. When I came back, she was sitting on the porch, bare feet sticking out from underneath the covers.

“Baby! It’s March. Why are you barefoot?”

She grinned up at me. “Cause. I wanna be.”

I handed her a mug of hot chocolate. “Here, warm up. You goofball.”

She opened the blanket to let me in and we both snuggled together, sipping at our drinks and looking up at the stars. The sun would rise in about an hour or so, but I wasn’t sure if I could stay awake to see it.

My wife took my hand and kissed the place where my wedding ring used to be. The tiny tattooed heart was still there, but it was fading, as finger tattoos tended to do.

 

We sat in a serene silence for a while, holding hands and stargazing. I stifled many yawns before my eyes started to close. My wife let out a small noise of complaint when my head landed on her shoulder, jostling her hot chocolate. I mumbled a sleepy apology.

She took my mug from me and set both of ours down on the porch, then wrapped her arms around me and buried her face in my hair, whispering sweet nothings and giving me soft kisses.

I fell asleep just like that.