Half a Dozen Kisses

Day by Day

JIMIN’S POV

 

The next day mainly consisted of waiting for test results to come back. We lounged on her hospital bed together for most of the day. Jin came to visit again, as well as the rest of Bangtan and Ji Eun. Jungkook picked up Haru from our apartment, where my wife’s parents were looking after her.

She was currently sitting on my thighs and bouncing up and down.

“Daddy, Daddy! I love my daddy!” Her cute little hands patted my cheeks. “Mmm, Daddy, I just love you squishy cheeks. Squish, squish, squish.”

“You have the cutest squishy cheeks, too! I wanna kiss your squishy cheeks!” I leaned in and rubbed my nose against her soft little chubby cheeks. “Sunflower, I missed you so much.”

“Me too, I missed you, too.”

Jungkook snapped a picture of the two of us. I pointed to him in warning.

“Keep that picture to yourself. No one needs to know my wife is in the hospital.”

“Oh my god, can you see me in that picture?” My wife shrieked from beside me. “I’m a mess right now; I haven’t washed my face in like three days. Kookie, I swear if you post that picture, Jimin and I will both kill you.”

“I’ll kill you.” Haru giggled.

“Baby…” I sighed exasperatedly. “Can you stop talking like this in front of our children?”

She pointed to her stomach. “This baby can’t hear me.”

“The baby can definitely hear you. That’s why it’s so bonded to you. Loves the sound of your voice. You’re a mother, sunshine. Shouldn’t you know these things?” Namjoon crossed his legs and smiled smugly at her.

“I just wanna smack you.” She told him flatly. “Goddam know-it-all.”

“Again, our children can hear you!” I reminded her impatiently. “Use nice words!”

“Not nice, Mama.” Haru shook her finger at her mother. “Not nice.”

Jungkook giggled in the background.

 

“So, sunshine, how are you feeling?” Taehyung cocked his head at her. “Are you stressed? Relaxed? Does anything hurt?”

“My whole body hurts.” She moaned dramatically, head flopping onto my shoulder. I stifled a laugh. “Don’t ever get hit by a car, TaeTae.”

“I’ll do my best.” He took her hand with a solemn expression.

Ji Eun cleared and I glanced over at her. She wore her long hair in two braids, which was adorable, but her eyes had dark purple bags etched underneath them. Namjoon slung an arm around the back of her chair and played with one of her braids. I wondered why the three of them had decided to squash themselves on that side of the room.

“Maybe next time, don’t look at your phone while crossing the street.” Yoongi suggested drily from the foot of the bed. I shot him a dirty look and Jin smacked him in the chest. Hoseok hid a smile when he saw my serious expression.

“Yeah, I know.” My wife said sadly, her face suddenly downcast. She dropped her head and caressed her stomach. “It was stupid.”

I threw my arm around her shoulder and pulled her into my side. She buried her face in my shoulder. “No one blames you. It was an accident, and the baby’s fine.”

“For now.” She whispered into my shirt.

“When do your test results come back?” Hoseok asked kindly.

“Right now.” Dr. Seo sailed breezily into the room. “If all of you could excuse us, I’d like to speak to my patient in private.”

 

Everyone obediently stood and shuffled out of the room.

“Jin!” I called after him. He turned and saw me gesture to Haru. “Please?”

“Haru, honey, wanna come get a treat?” Jin suggested to her.

“A treat!” She clapped her hands and hopped off the bed and over to Jin. He offered his hand and she took it, turning back to grin at us.

I watched them leave with a heavy heart. Would everything be okay with our baby? Even if the baby was okay, would my wife’s pregnancy become complicated because of this? I didn’t want her to blame herself.

Dr. Seo seated herself next to my wife and took her hand. She was quite affectionate and open for a doctor. I appreciated that she took the time to be gentle to my wife.

“How are you feeling?” Dr. Seo asked cheerfully.

“Alright. Nothing unusual.” My wife replied hesitantly. I could tell she just wanted to hear the news. I reached over and took her hand, my arm still wrapped tightly around her shoulders.

“That’s a good sign. You should recover from your injuries fairly quickly, considering that you’re young and strong. The human body is capable of miraculous things.”

“Is our baby going to be okay?” My wife blurted out. “That’s all I want to know.”

Dr. Seo looked startled for a moment. “Your baby has survived. He’s made it out of the danger zone and I can safely say that this car accident will not prevent him from making it full term.”

“It’s a boy?” My wife whispered, squeezing my hand.

“Yes.” She beamed. “You’re having a boy.”

“Wow.” I breathed out. “A boy.”

 

Dr. Seo gave us a moment to let that sink in.

“I hate to upset this happy moment, but I have to warn you, your pregnancy will have some complications.”

“Bedrest.” My wife nodded. “I’ve been preparing myself for that.”

“Not only that. You’ll have to be on a strict diet that you absolutely must not break away from. Even for cravings.” She added with a knowing smile.

“What? What does diet have to do with anything?” My wife hated dieting of any kind.

“Diet has everything to do with health.” Dr. Seo patted my wife’s hand. “The nutrients we get from food are the tools the body needs to repair itself. I’ll give you some materials before you head out and also put you in touch with a health coach, which I highly recommend.”

“Okay.” She heaved a sigh. I kissed her temple and she shifted closer to me. It was a change, really, from the way she used to push me away in public.

 

Dr. Seo left us alone after telling us we would be free to leave the hospital after completing an outtake form and receiving the necessary pain medications. My wife didn’t want to take them since she was pregnant, but the doctor assured her she would be fine.

“So, we’re having a boy.” She sighed wistfully as she wrapped her arms around me.

“Yeah. A baby boy.” I repeated softly.

“Are you sad?” She asked, looking up into my face. I smiled down at her.

“Not even a little bit.”

She poked my dimple. “Guess we can’t name him Sunny.”

“Hmm, true. What names are you thinking of?” I tried to pull her closer, but we were already stuck together like glue. I settled for gazing into her eyes, occasionally letting my eye wander to her freckles, her pouty lips, the brush of curls on her forehead. I kissed her cheekbones, soft little eyelash kisses, as she called them.

“Jin Woo.” She continued to poke my dimple. My smile widened at her childishly delighted expression.

“No. Not naming our son after your favorite member of Winner.”

“Well, what sort of suggestions do you have?”

“What about Jungkook?” I offered a big, cheesy smile.

“No.” She stated bluntly. “Ya creep.”

“Just kidding. What about Taeyang?”

“Jimin!”

“No, no, like your nickname. Taeyang, the sun, sunshine.” I argued unconvincingly.

“No.” tugged down into a little frown. I kissed it away.

We kissed several times, which was wonderful, but all the while I was thinking of baby boy names.

“I’ve got one.” I murmured against .

She pulled away, her fingers caressing my face. “What? Don’t say something stupid.”

“Sun Jae.”

 

She pondered that for a long moment, my face all the while.

“I love it.” She finally said in a soft little voice. “Sun Jae.”

I kissed her, then leaned back on the pillow, contemplating.

“Haru and Sun Jae.” I tried.

“I like Sun. Like sunshine or Sunny, almost.”

We turned our heads to look at each other. Her curls splayed out over the pillowcase and I idly played with one.

“I don’t even care that I have to be on bedrest for the next four months.”

“I’ll take care of you.” I promised.

She leaned in and rubbed her nose against mine. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”

I cupped her jaw and pulled her closer until our lips met. It was a soft, sweet kiss. When I broke away, I rested my forehead on hers and looked deep into her infinite brown eyes.

“I love you.” I whispered to her.

“I love you.” She whispered back.

 

I placed a hand on her stomach. “Sun Jae, too. He seems like a very lovable little guy.”

“Yeah, he does.” She agreed with a small smile.

“Must take after his mama.” I teased.

“Yeah, he must.” She wrinkled her nose then kissed me quickly, a half a dozen times.