Ghost

Day by Day

JIMIN’S POV

 

I tried to sleep in the day after Christmas. I really did.

I mean, I’d had the perfect set-up. Haru slept in my parents’ room that night, Yukon was downstairs in the basement, and my wife had passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow. It was the perfect recipe for a relaxing, lazy, and extended morning in bed.

However, I hadn’t counted on my mother.

 

There I was, happily ensconced in a cocoon of blankets, my head deep into the pillow and my mind buried in dream. Until I received a few successive sharp pats to my bottom.

“Jimin, baby, wake up.” My mother’s voice entered my consciousness and I had a sudden nostalgic feeling of middle school. “Wake up, it’s time to work.”

“Mom, I’m married.” I mumbled, mistaking myself for a middle schooler. Obviously if I was married, I couldn’t attend school. There had to be laws against that or something.

“Yes, I’m aware. Get up, Jimin. The restaurant won’t open itself.”

I groaned deeply and loudly into my pillow. “Ma! I don’t have a restaurant!”

She smacked my . “Jimin! You ungrateful rascal! Your father and I raised you at that restaurant and it will be yours one day. Get out of bed before I call your wife in here!”

I sat up immediately, carding my fingers through my hair. “Don’t do that.” I pleaded in a voice heavy with sleep.

My mom took my face in her hands and gently kissed my forehead. “Still a child sometimes.” She whispered against my skin. I leaned into her touch, always happy to let her baby me. Being a trainee and an idol had forced me to miss out on so many years of my mother’s affection; I soaked it up every chance I got, even at the mature age of twenty-six. Even as a father to my own child.

I knew she needed it sometimes.

“Get dressed, my baby. Your father needs help today. You know how many people come in the day after Christmas. Too lazy to cook at home.”

 

She left and I stumbled into some clothes. I was still teetering on the edge of sleep when I brushed my teeth and washed my face. By the time I’d eaten breakfast, I’d woken up enough to wonder where my family had disappeared to.

The walk to the restaurant was crisp. The fresh snow crunched under my boots and my breath turned to fog in front of me, capturing my dreamy, dazed attention. I passed by the familiar copse of trees on my way, suddenly recalling the early spring before my wife and I got married. We spent a fair bit of time making out in those trees on our lunch breaks, often called back to work by a sullen Young Jae.

 

I made my way past the dumpsters behind the restaurant and slowly creaked open the ancient back door of the restaurant. The first thing my eyes fell upon was my beautiful wife perched on the counter next to the sink, swinging her legs as Young Jae washed the dishes. I blinked and fleetingly wondered if I had just dreamed up our married life with Haru and we were actually still broken up. The scene was so similar to ones I walked into almost four years ago that it took me by surprise.

I hung up my coat and donned an apron, hoping my wife would at least greet me. She hadn’t even glanced my way since I came in. Was this four years ago? Had I dreamed everything up? I searched her hand for her wedding ring, but she wasn’t wearing it and I couldn’t make out her little heart tattoo, either. Why wasn’t she wearing it? Were we fighting and I hadn’t realized?

Suddenly feeling nervous, I walked over to her, completely ignoring Young Jae’s presence. I knew it was childish of me, but I didn’t care. I was a childish person and she knew that. We all knew that.

“Hey, baby.” I stood in front of her, dabbing my tongue across my lower lip as I took in the sight of her unusually pale face. Was she feeling ill? Had she eaten something bad? Did she sleep enough the night before?

She stared at me wordlessly. I searched her face for the slightest warmth; a slight uplift of her eyes, perhaps, or a gentle relaxing of . She gave me nothing, but perhaps I was just tense. I tended to get a little paranoid in the mornings when I woke up without her. Paranoia, possibly, but she was moody when pregnant. Moody in general, actually, but dizzyingly moody when pregnant.

I leaned in close, barely brushing my lips against hers. She grasped my shirt in her hands and pulled me closer for the briefest kiss before pushing me back and turning her face away. Were we fighting or was I paranoid?

I cleared my throat and her attention came back to me. As I touched my forehead to hers, I noticed her skin felt hot to the touch.

“Are you sick?” I shifted and kissed her forehead, checking her temperature. “I think you have a fever.”

“It’s the steam.” Young Jae explained. “It got to her, so that’s why she’s taking a break.”

I pressed the back of my hand against her forehead. “You feel too warm for just steam.”

“She’s fine.” Young Jae said dismissively.

“I’m still worried, though.” I murmured, staring into her eyes. “You’re awfully quiet. What’s wrong? Are you upset about something?”

She cast her gaze down as the faintest pout appeared on her lips.

“What is it, baby?” I asked softly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “What’s got you so quiet?”

“Girl you lost your ity to is here.” Young Jae sang out, smirking over at me. “She’s jealous.”

“Not jealous.” She mumbled sullenly, a slight scowl replacing the pout. I always thought she looked pretty while scowling.

“You haven’t said five words since I told you.” Young Jae laughed. “You’re jealous, baby girl, admit it.”

 I matched her scowl as she met my eyes once more, looking for my reaction to Young Jae’s little nickname. I leaned in close and kissed her once, very softly.

“Mine.” I whispered, too quietly for Young Jae to hear. My forehead rested against hers; I could smell her shampoo as her dark brown eyes smoldered up at me.

She caught my lower lip in between hers and gave me a gentle kiss.

“Mine.” She whispered back, reaching down and twining our fingers together.

 

The kitchen door swung open and we broke apart. I coughed awkwardly, shuffling my fingers through my hair as she fixed her unruly bun. My father, a firm disbeliever in worktime kisses, stood in the doorway with a frown on his face.

“Jimin. You’re serving today.” He said crossly.

“But – ”

He cut me off. “No buts. Fix your apron and get out here. There’s a party of fifteen that still needs to be served.”

“That’s your girl, ChimChim!” Young Jae cooed, bringing back the scowl to my wife’s face.

“Ah, don’t call me that.” I snapped. “And stop antagonizing my wife.”

She cleared and I looked at her, an apology on my face.

“Don’t forget I still have the receipts to all your Christmas presents.” She warned. “And I’m not afraid to use them.”

I winked at her. “Put your wedding ring back on, baby. You might have to show it off in a little bit.”

She shrugged. “Can’t. Washing dishes.”

“Where is it?”                    

She reached into her sweater and pulled out a chain. Her wedding rings dangled off the end and I once again felt transported back to almost four years ago. I kind of wanted to drag her into the broom closet for a hot makeout session or something.

“Jimin!” My father shouted from the main kitchen. “Get to work!”

She blew me a kiss and I pretended to catch it, grinning. Young Jae gagged and she laughed, a delightful tinkling laugh. It was the last thing I heard before the kitchen door swung shut behind me.

 

I folded my apron in half and tied it around my waist for a more sophisticated look. My mother was at the cash register, counting out bills. Haru sat on the counter next to her, eating a lollipop. Wasn’t it a little early for sugar?

I walked over to them and Haru looked up, lollipop almost falling out of as her face lit up in joy.

“Daddy!” She cried, holding out her hands for me. I scooped her up and peppered kisses all over her face.

“Haru! I missed you this morning! Where were you?”

“I was here! With Grandma!” Haru tore the lollipop out of and held it up to show me. “I eatin’ a lolldypop.”

“So I see. Can Daddy have a bite?” I opened my mouth wide and slowly lowered it towards her candy.

“No!” She giggled. “It mine.”

I kissed her forehead as she happily on the lollipop.

“Daddy, I workin’.” Haru said importantly. “I workin’ wif Grandma.”

“Is Grandma paying you?” I asked, ruffling her hair.

My mom laughed. “In love and kisses. But stop snuggling and get to work. There’s an entire party waiting for you.”

“Yes, ma’am.” I set Haru back down on the counter and prepared my heart for seeing the old ghost from my past.

 

Kwon Soon Ae had been one of the hottest girls at my high school. She was a senior when I was a freshman, so our circles didn’t mix much. She went to a local college once she’d graduated, so I’d seen her at parties until I moved to Seoul. Young Jae often dragged me to college parties and he was friends with her, so one night when I was visiting for a holiday or something, we went to a party she hosted.

I was living a lonely life at the time. As a trainee, we didn’t get to party and I didn’t meet many girls. I was eighteen years old and already tired out from life. My self-confidence had reached an all-time low and Young Jae had noticed. He pumped me with alcohol and compliments and then introduced me to Soon Ae, who by this time had become a gorgeous twenty-two year old. I was drunk by the time she sat on my lap and whispered to me about how y she found me. We started to kiss and soon we were in her room and I was . I honestly couldn’t remember much else from that night except for the overwhelming feeling of shame when I woke up in the morning.

I hadn’t seen her since.

 

I fiddled with my wedding ring as I made my way over to her table, strangely nervous. I wasn’t sure she would even remember me, but I couldn’t forget about her. Who could forget the person they’d lost their ity to?

“Good morning, ladies. My name’s Jimin and I’ll be your server for today. Can I get you started with some drinks?” I flashed them a charming smile, discreetly scanning the table for Soon Ae. I spotted her in the back, staring at me. Our eyes met for a brief moment before I looked away.

“We’ll have a couple of pitchers of soda, please.” Soon Ae called down the table.

“Right away.” I nodded and quickly went to fill the order.

“Excuse me!” A voice called me back. I turned to see Soon Ae behind me, smiling.

“Yes?” I asked, a little bewildered.

“Can you show me where the bathroom is?” She twirled her hair around her finger and bit her bottom lip.

“Um, sure.” I led her past my mom and Haru and into the back hallway where the bathrooms were tucked away. I stopped in front of the ladies’ room and pushed open the door for her. “Here you are.”

“Thank you.” She smiled sweetly before disappearing inside.

 

HER POV

 

“Stop sulking.” Young Jae ordered. “It’s not a big deal.”

“I don’t want to stop sulking.” I pouted from my perch on the countertop.

“Well, you have to because I need help with all of these dishes.”

“Why are you even here? Don’t you have your own restaurant?”

Young Jae tore his gloves off before coming over to stand in front of me. “Listen, sass, you know why I’m here. And you said you would help me. So you better stop being a brat and help me.”

“You never talked to me this way when you were trying to date me.” I accused.

“I probably should have.” He retorted. “Spoiled rotten princess.”

“Oh my gosh! You’re so rude.”

Young Jae grabbed my hips to pick me up. He held me in front of him for a moment, a sly grin on his face, before setting me down on the ground.

“You’re pretty heavy these days.”

“I’m pregnant, . And I’d appreciate it if you didn’t do that again.”

He threw a pair of gloves at me before sighing. “Ah, why couldn’t Jimin have worked with me in the dishroom instead? I want to be friends with him again, not you.”

“Not me?!” I demanded, mock offended.

“We’re already friends, sweetheart.” Young Jae ruffled my hair. “I miss Jimin. It’s been eight years; he needs to let it go and just reconcile with me already. Why do you have to be clumsy, huh? Huh? Why’d you have to get stuck back here in the dishroom with me?”

“Lemme go talk to Mr. Park.” I patted his cheek with my wet glove. Young Jae laughed and pushed me away.

“Go, go. You just wanna see if you can find Jimin and kiss him.”

“Nah, I just wanna get out of doing dishes.” I quipped.

 

I took off my apron and gloves and practically skipped through the door. Young Jae had been right; I was trying to find Jimin to kiss him. He was probably in the dining room serving the party that had come in for brunch this morning.

“Might as well pee while I’m waiting.” I mused. Being pregnant meant I had to pee about every ten seconds. I listened outside the door of the ladies’ room to see if anyone was inside.

“Stop, I don’t want…ahh…stop.”

I blushed as I realized people were hooking up in the bathroom. It wasn’t something I’d never done before, but in the morning? In a family restaurant?

I sighed and lifted my ear from the door. Maybe I could use the men’s bathroom.

“C’mon, please. Stop. I don’t want to.” I paused at the sound of the pleading voice. I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman through the thick oak door. What was going on in there? Should I do something?

I pushed open the door and saw a woman propped up on the sink counter as a man kissed her neck, his hands on her waist, holding her in place.

“Jimin?”