Rose Petal

Day by Day

“Jimin, can you grab Haru’s diaper bag?” I asked, in the midst of trying to dress Haru. She was screaming in my ear about how she didn’t want to leave.

“Sure, baby, where is it?” Jimin came up behind me and kissed my head.

“I don’t know. Just find it, okay? I’m going crazy here. Haru, baby, hush. We’re going to Grandma and Grandpa’s. You’re gonna have so much fun.”

“No, no, no!” Haru screamed. “I don’t want to go!”

“Come here, let me take her. You find the diaper bag.” Jimin scooped her up out of my arms. “Hey, sunflower. Let’s get dressed, okay? You and Yukon are gonna spend the week with Grandma and Grandpa. Okay?”

“No, Daddy, no.” Haru cried into his shoulder. “I don’t want chu to goooo.”

I finally located the diaper bag as Jimin tried to calm Haru down.

“We’ll be back before you know it. Just seven sleeps and then we’ll be back here, living the good life with Mama, okay?”

“Jimin, she can’t even count to seven.” I laughed.

“No, no! She learned!” Jimin turned to me with a proud smile on his face. “Geranium, tell your mama how you learned to count!”

“Ah, um…” Haru hesitated. Jimin whispered in her ear. “One, two, tree, fo, five, six, seben, eight, ten!”

She clapped her hands triumphantly.

“Oh, look at my baby girl!” I cooed, kissing her cheek. “Growing up so fast.”

“Alright, let’s get you in the car and then we can practice counting all the way to Grandpa’s house.” Jimin pulled Haru’s little dress over her head as I went out into the living room and grabbed Yukon’s collar. He was getting up there in years, but he was still that precious little puppy to me. He and Haru got along like best friends.

“Alright, baby, let’s go.” Jimin grinned at me as we hustled out of the apartment, trying to get into the car while Haru was still in a good mood.

 

Five hours in a car with Haru was never easy, but we didn’t usually take Yukon for the ride. After three hours of intermittent screaming and barking, I wanted to cry. Jimin was taking a nap in the front seat while I was navigating the way back to Busan. I knew it much better than he did; Haru and I stayed there fairly frequently, especially when Jimin was on tour for a long time. It wasn’t easy having an idol for a husband, but we made it work.

“Jimin, baby, wake up. I need a break.” I patted his shoulder. He snuffled in his sleep. “Jimin, please, baby, please.”

“Hmm?” Jimin yawned and looked at me. Haru and Yukon were sleeping peacefully in the back. It was her naptime and she’d finally fallen asleep, thank God.

“I need a break.” I whispered. “I’m so tired.”

“Okay, baby, pull over.” Jimin rubbed his eyes.

I turned off unto the shoulder and we switched seats, Jimin trying to wake up.

“You okay, babe?” Jimin asked, shooting me a concerned glance. I nodded, catching his yawn.

“It’s just a little much sometimes.” I rested my head against the seat.

“She’s certainly got a pair of lungs on her.” Jimin agreed ruefully.

“I’m so looking forward to this week away, just the two of us. It’s been so long since it’s just been us.”

Jimin took my hand, intertwining our fingers.

“I’m really looking forward to it, too. Baby girl, I’m gonna you up so good we’re gonna have two babies when we get home.”

“Don’t even think about it, Jimin.” I laughed.

“Why not? Let’s have another baby, hmm? Give Haru a cute little sibling.” Jimin kissed my hand, smiling.

“Keep your eyes on the road.” I snatched my hand away. “You really want another baby? You want another screaming poop machine?”

Jimin snickered before getting serious. “Coming home to you and Haru is the best part of my day. Why not add to that love?”

“Sure, but get me a nanny.”

“I thought you hated nannies.” Jimin glanced at me.

“Excuse me, I was a nanny. Of course I don’t hate nannies. I just usually hate children who have had nannies. They’re so spoiled and bratty and they always bit me.”

“I don’t want Haru to be like that!” Jimin cried. “No nannies.”

“You think I’m gonna let my baby treat anybody like that, Jimin?” I scolded him. “I’ll be taking that nanny’s side from day one.”

“Nope, no nannies.” He said firmly.

“Well, you better get your home earlier in the day and help me take care of these babies. I’ve got a job, too, Jimin. I don’t have time to work and take care of two babies.”

“Fine, baby, fine. We can get a nanny if we have another baby. Can we afford all this?” He scratched his head, considering.

“We do pretty well for ourselves, Jimin. We can afford it.”

“I want our baby to have the best. You know that nannies are expensive. Good nannies are expensive.”

“What kind of nanny are you trying to hire?” I laughed. “We just need a normal one.”

“No, we have to have one that won’t spill all our family secrets to the reporters. One who won’t snoop in our drawers and try and figure out where our toys are.”

“Jimin!” I hissed, smacking him. “Haru is in the car!”

“She’s asleep.” Jimin grinned. “Listen, babe, we need to hire the best nanny available. Let me ask Tae.”

“Tae? He doesn’t have any kids!”

“Yeah, but he gets around with a lot of nannies.” Jimin winked at me.

“No ing way. We’re not getting a nanny that Tae has screwed around with.” I said firmly. “What if she tries to use us to get revenge?”

“No, no. He dates girls that don’t want serious commitments. Listen, it’s fine. They’re all professionals.” He waved away my worries.

“How do you know? Have you met these nannies?” I raised an eyebrow at him. “Is that why you’re so keen to hire a ‘good nanny?’ Don’t you mean a y nanny? Huh, Jimin? Huh?”

“Shut the hell up.” Jimin laughed. “You know you’re the iest nanny I’ve ever laid eyes on.”

“I’m not even a nanny anymore. Face it, Jimin, I’m getting old.”

“You’re twenty-eight and you look like you’re twenty-two.”

“Yeah, but you’re still twenty-five. I wish you’d hurry up and have a birthday so I could stop feeling like a cougar.”

“Baby, you need to get over our age difference. It’s been bothering you since your twenty-fifth birthday.”

“Yeah, since I got pregnant with a twenty-two year old’s baby.”

“We got married so young.” Jimin said wistfully.

“You got married so young. I got married at a normal age.”

“Haru’s birthday is soon.” Jimin peeked back at her. “I can’t believe our little baby is going to be three.”

“Her birthday’s not until December. Your birthday is before then.” I laughed.

“But she’s getting so big. I feel like she’s three already.”

“I know. It makes me so sad. I’m glad she’s growing up well.”

“I don’t want to leave her.” Jimin said softly. “I miss her so much when I’m gone.”

“What? You wanna cancel our vacation?” I asked him.

Jimin bit his lip and threw a hesitant glance at me.

“Jimin…” I whined. “This is supposed to be just the two of us.”

“I know, baby, I know.” Jimin said pleadingly. “But can’t we just stay with my parents for the night? Just one night?”

“We’ll miss our flight.” I pouted.

“Our flight’s in the morning, baby girl. We can still make it if we stay the night.”

“You love Haru more than you love me.” I said accusingly, crossing my arms.

“I love both of you.” Jimin shot me a winning smile. “Come on, baby, just one night as a family.”

“Fine.” I surrendered. “Lemme text your mom.”

“She and my dad will be excited.” Jimin grinned. “Thanks, baby.”

“You’re changing all of her diapers tonight.” I said begrudgingly.

“Anything for you, baby.” He smiled at me. “Take a nap. We’ll be there soon.”

 

I woke up a little while later to Jimin’s voice.

“Hey, rose petal, it’s time to wake up.”

I heard the click of her car seat and her sleepy little exclamation of “Daddy!”

I opened my eyes to see Jimin kissing her forehead with the sweetest look in his eyes. He loved that little girl and it melted my heart to see him with her. I picked a good man to knock me up.

Haru snuggled up against Jimin, her eyes still closed.

He glanced at me, smiling when he saw I was awake.

“Hey, sleeping beauty.” He winked at me.

“Hey, handsome.” I yawned and stretched. “Are we here?”

“Yup.”

 

I climbed out and picked up Yukon while Jimin grabbed Haru’s diaper bag.

“You’re here!” Jimin’s mom squealed. “Oh, where’s my baby?”

“Right here.” Jimin grinned, holding his cheek out for a kiss.

Mrs. Park laughed and kissed Jimin before scooping Haru up into her arms. “Can Grandma have a kiss?”

“No.” Haru stubbornly refused.

“Haru.” I said warningly. “Sorry, she just woke up.”

“Oh, it’s okay.” Jimin’s mom patted Haru’s back. “I know what babies are like. Grandpa’s very excited to see you. Are you hungry? We have cookies.”

“You’re dealing with a sugar-crazy Haru.” I whispered to Jimin. “Not me, boy.”

“I can handle it.” Jimin rested a hand on the small of my back, leading me into the house. “I can handle anything.”

“Oh, anything?” I raised my eyebrows at him suggestively.

“Yeah, baby girl.” He yanked me over and pinned me to his side. “Anything.” He whispered, biting my ear.

“You just love getting freaky in your parents’ house.” I whispered back.

“I was very ually frustrated in high school.” He murmured into my ear. “Seeing this house reminds me of it. And you’re like the hot older girl I knew I could never get.”

“You liked hot older girls in high school?” I asked, a little surprised. Yukon barked and wriggled in my arms, eager to get down.

“Shh, baby. You don’t need to know. It was a long time ago.” He kissed underneath my earlobe. “You’ve been the sole occupant of my fantasies for a long time now.”

“What kind of fantasies?” I whispered, turning my head and kissing his cheek.

“Ones that would make your toes curl.” Jimin teased, flicking his tongue against my ear.

“Stop flirting, you two.” Jimin’s dad greeted us. “Don’t you guys get sick of each other?”

“Never.” Jimin chirped, kissing me in front of his father like he had no shame.

“Oh my gosh.” I pushed his face away. “Jimin.”

“Do you kiss like this in front of Haru?” Jimin’s mom hissed, covering Haru’s eyes.

“Yeah, Mom. She needs to know her father is madly in love with her mother.” Jimin took my face in his hands and kissed me deeply.

“Jimin!” I shrieked, breaking the kiss. “Stop it!”

“I can’t believe I raised a son like this.” Jimin’s dad shook his head. “Come here, sweetheart. Go and have a glass of wine while we prepare dinner.”

“I can help you.” I offered, but Jimin’s dad practically pushed me onto the couch and shoved a glass of wine in my hand.

 

Jimin sat down on the living room floor, playing with Haru and Yukon. He and Haru liked to wrestle while Yukon barked in the background, very overexcited. I sat sipping my wine, relaxed.

“Mama, play wit us.” Haru reached her hands out to me.

“Nah, orchid, Mama’s taking a break. We’re gonna play together.” Jimin tackled Haru to the ground and smothered her in kisses. She tugged at his hair, shrieking with laughter.

“Oh, I love you so much.” Jimin crooned, nuzzling her stomach. He kissed down her chubby legs to her tiny little toes.

 

“Dinner’s ready!” Jimin’s mom called.

Jimin scooped Haru up and grabbed my hand, leading us into the dining room.

“Ooh, what a cute little family.” Mrs. Park squealed, beaming at us.

“Are you two thinking of having any more children?” Mr. Park asked.

“Yes.” “No.” Jimin and I both answered at the same time.

Jimin scowled at me. “I’m gonna knock you up again. Just you wait.”

“Hush your mouth.” I pinched his cheek. Haru giggled.

 

We sat down and ate, Jimin feeding Haru because he promised he’d do everything tonight. Diapers, dinner, bathtime, bedtime. I was off for the night and I was loving it.

It was nice to catch up with Jimin’s parents. They doted on Haru, feeding her too much and giving her so many kisses. I felt like I owed a lot to them. They’d set me up with Jimin, helped me through our breakup, supported us when we got back together, and even accepted our marriage despite the fact that I was already pregnant. I’d never heard a cross word from them about the matter. Jimin had heard quite a few from his father, but no one regretted Haru. She was perfect to us.

The grandparents volunteered to put Haru to bed, so Jimin and I had a few glasses of wine and snuck up to his bedroom.

 

“You know.” He began, locking the door behind us. “We haven’t stayed here in a really long time. Not the two of us, anyway.”

“Yeah, I know. Usually I sleep in here with Haru.” I sat down on the bed and took my socks off. Jimin came and stood over me, a mischievous glint in his eye.

“You remember when we broke up the second time?” He bent down and kissed along my neck.

“Why are you reminding me of that painful time in my life?” I asked, breathing in his scent.

“You remember when I was trying so hard to get you back together with me? And we made out in the bathtub? And then I came back here and undressed you?” He pushed me down onto the bed and climbed on top of me.

“Yeah, I remember.” I played with his hair as he pressed kisses against my collarbone.

“I wanted to make you a baby that night.” Jimin whispered, ing my jeans.

“Did you now?” I reached down to pull his shirt over his head.

“Yeah. I caught you trying on that ring right there on your finger and I had visions of you becoming my wife.” He finished undressing me before I even got his shirt off. Even after being with him for five years, I still had no idea how he did it so quickly.

Jimin sat up and ed his jeans, shucking them off so he was just in his boxers.

“I wanted to knock you up right then and there.” He kissed down my body. “Wanted to see you pregnant with my baby with that ring on your finger.”

“You got me pregnant the next night, so I guess it worked out, huh?” I let out a soft laugh. “What are you trying to say?”

“You already know, baby.” Jimin whispered. He left a gentle kiss on my thigh. “I want another baby.”

“Jimin, we’ve talked about this. I don’t want a million children. I just want Haru.” I sighed as he rested himself on top of me.

“You didn’t even want Haru.” He reminded me, kissing down my jawline, trying to seduce me. “And now you couldn’t live without her.”

“I wanted Haru.” I said defensively.

“You told me you never wanted to have children. Numerous times.” Jimin nibbled on my earlobe.

“I also told you I never wanted to get married, and yet I was the one who proposed to you.”

“And you’ve never regretted that a single day in your life, have you?” Jimin laughed, a husky little laugh, right in my ear.

“I wouldn’t go that far.” I smiled. “Boy, how many children do you wanna have before we even turn thirty? We’re so young.”

“We already have a kid!” He cried, sitting up on me. “I just want another one! Is that so much to ask?”

“I’ll think about it.” I promised. “I really will.”

“You been taking your birth control, baby?” Jimin teased.

“No, you haven’t reminded me.” I replied absentmindedly, distracted by what he was doing with his tongue against my skin. “Oh, , Jimin! You !”

I sat up and shoved him off of me, scooting far away from him.

“You planned this.” I hissed accusingly. “Am I pregnant? Am I ing pregnant right now, Jimin?”

“What? No, honestly, baby, I was just joking.” Jimin looked at me with wide eyes. I knew immediately he wasn’t lying. Jimin was a terrible liar. He got all moody and depressed whenever he tried to hide something from me.

“Good. I would have divorced you over something like that.” I warned him. “So don’t ever ing think of trying it.”

“You would have divorced me?” Jimin looked very offended. “I would never divorce you.”

“Not even if I cheated on you?” I looked at him skeptically.

He hesitated. “I really love you. I’d probably forgive you. But don’t cheat on me.”

“I’m not going to cheat on you.” I rolled my eyes. “Oh, you know who I ran into the other day?”

“Who?” Jimin asked warily, lying down next to me. He pulled me on top of him and tucked my hair behind my ear. “I’m glad you’re growing your hair out again.”

“Yeah, I guess it’s nice. But long hair is a pain in the . And So Young Jae. You remember him?” I kissed his forehead.

Jimin tsked. “My childhood friend that tried to steal you away from me? You think I’d forget?”

“He told me I looked just as beautiful as ever.” I grinned, loving to see Jimin get jealous. It was a rare occasion these days; he was so assured of my love for him.

“Did he now?” Jimin rolled over on top of me, pinning me to the bed. He dragged his lips down my neck as his hands went down my body.

“Yeah. He said he heard I was married with a kid and that when he found out he regretted letting me go so easily.” I loved riling him up like this. He got so passionate about seducing me when he was jealous.

“Oh, really?” Jimin breathed against my neck, nipping the skin lightly.

“Yeah.” I whispered, running my fingers down his broad back.

“Too bad for him that you’re mine.” He lifted his head and stared into my eyes before taking my bottom lip into his teeth, biting down hard. His hands trailed down my back, teasing me as he unhooked my bra slowly.

Jimin kissed down my body, on the skin hard enough to leave bruises.

“You’re mine, baby girl.” He whispered, glancing up into my eyes in between kisses. “You’re my wife.”

He kissed down to the hem of my underwear, kissing teasingly above my waist. “The mother of my child.”

“You don’t need to remind me.” I murmured, running my fingers through his hair.

“Oh, I think I do, baby girl.” Jimin flipped me over and started kissing down my back.

“I didn’t take my birth control. You got any condoms?”

“Um…” Jimin hesitated, his mouth on the small of my back. “Maybe a few from high school.”

I snickered. “You had condoms in high school? Boy, you know you weren’t gonna get any.”

“I lost my ity in high school, you little devil.” Jimin smacked my before climbing off his bed and rustling through his bedside drawer.

“Yeah, drunk at a party. Definitely something to brag about.” I cackled, taking off my underwear.

“Wait, that wasn’t high school. I had already debuted then. How old was I?” He scratched his head, thinking.

“Eighteen, baby. Stop remembering girls who aren’t me and find a damn .”

Jimin shut the drawer with a sigh. “I don’t have any condoms.”

“Ugh, are you ing kidding me? I was all prepared to have with you tonight.” I scowled at him as he climbed back on top of me.

“We can still mess around.” He soothed me, kissing my forehead.

“I’m not in high school anymore. I wanna go all the way.” I flicked his forehead.

“You wanna get pregnant?” Jimin raised an eyebrow at me.

I shrugged. “What the hell? Let’s have another baby.”

Jimin stared at me before breaking into a wide smile. “Are you ing serious? You really wanna have another baby?”

“I really wanna have with you right now.” I said bluntly. “And if another baby comes out of that, well, so be it.”

Jimin hesitated before nodding. “I’ll take it.”

 

He rested his forehead against mine, staring down into my eyes before kissing me.

“I really love you.” Jimin whispered.

“I really love you, too.” I kissed him once more, lingering for a while.

“I hope the next baby is just like you.” He told me in between kisses.

“Haru’s your clone.” I let out a soft giggle. “And I love that.”

“I want a baby like you.” Jimin kissed me gently. “You’re perfect. I want a little baby girl just like you.”

“I love you, Jimin.” I curled my fingers in his hair. “I love you so ing much.”

“I love you.” Jimin breathed. “I love you always.”