Dream

Day by Day

Jimin and I had never really lived a typical married life. While most of my married friends (i.e. Sul and Daniel) spent their evenings on the couch falling asleep in front of the television, Jimin rarely spent a night at home.

I spent most evenings with a book and a glass of wine, or my laptop and a glass of wine, or my bed and a glass of wine.

A glass of wine was almost always involved.

 

The glasses of wine usually escaped the evening unscathed; I’d fall asleep before taking more than a few sips. Jimin joked that I poured a glass of wine for the nightstand each night. It felt like a waste, but I always began with good intentions.

Jimin spent about three nights out of the week at home. Sometimes, during a break, I’d have a whole week of my husband falling asleep next to me. I used to enjoy having the bed to myself, but recently I had started to wonder whether our sleeping arrangements had led to the lack of intimacy between us.

It wasn’t that Jimin never came home at night. He’d come home, at around three in the morning. I knew that if I woke up for Sun Jae’s night feeding and he wasn’t in bed next to me, he was probably on his way home or sleeping on the couch. He did that, sometimes, when he didn’t want to disturb me.

Jimin had always been like this, but after Sun Jae came into the world, he’d had a harder time keeping up this kind of lifestyle. The three to four hours of sleep he’d been accustomed to since a young age wouldn’t suffice anymore. The man had recently turned twenty-seven, which wasn’t old, but certainly wasn’t seventeen.

 

Which is why he had fallen asleep at 8 p.m. with his head in my lap, on the couch in front of the television. We’d been watching Adventure Time, an animated show that Jimin and I loved, when he nearly split his face in half with a yawn and passed out on my thighs.

So cute.

Jimin didn’t even stir when I squished his cheeks and poked his nose. Or when I gently kissed him on the mouth.

I wished he would wake up so we could hang out, but I supposed it had been a while since he’d fallen asleep on me. It had been a while since we had been comfortable enough with each other to relax like this.

I’d missed him.

 

“Cat.” Jimin suddenly opened his eyes and stared straight at me. My heart leapt up into my throat and I inhaled sharply in surprise.

“What the ?” I wheezed. “You scared the out of me.”

“Wanna cat.” Jimin turned and sleepily nuzzled his face against my stomach. “Get me a cat.” He whined as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Okay, let’s get one tomorrow.” I petted his hair, feeling fond of him.

“’M sleepy.” He yawned into my shirt.

“So go back to sleep.”

“Can’t. Gotta go practice.” Jimin started to hoist himself up off of me, but I pushed him back down.

“Just stay here tonight. Take half a day off. You worked this morning, don’t work tonight.”

He looked up at me with crinkled eyes and a sweet smile. “I’ve got to practice.”

“Whyyyy?” I whined, lightly punching his chest. “Just stay here with me.”

“Ah, ah, what is this cutesy act? Too adorable!” Jimin squeezed my cheeks, then kissed my nose.

“I’m not being cute!” I huffed.

“Your cheeks are red.” He cooed. “Oh my god, you’re too cute.”

“Just stay with me.”

“Okay.”

 

Jimin sat up in my lap and wound his arms around my neck. Soft, sweet little kisses were placed on my neck, my jawline, my cheeks.

“Since you won’t let me exercise at work, I suppose I’ll just exercise at home.” He whispered in my ear, in a low and husky voice.

I rolled my eyes. His voice.

“Yeah, let’s do yoga together.” I suggested with a sly smile.

“Oh, I was thinking of a different form of exercise.”

“Oh, really? Let me guess. ?”

Jimin laughed, his breath sending shivers across my neck. “No, seriously. I meant like sit-ups and push-ups. I’m trying to get my abs back.”

“Why? You don’t need abs and the fans seem satisfied.” I tousled his hair. “Do some yoga with me. Or, better yet, sit on the couch and eat brownies with me while we watch a movie.”

He shook his head. “It’s just something I want to do.”

“Isn’t it tiring?”

Jimin shrugged. “Not so much. I can do it.”

 

Yukon came out from our bedroom, carrying a small stuffed bear. He padded over to us with his tail wagging, and plopped the toy down on the couch cushion next to me, looking up with pleading eyes.

I patted the seat. “Come here, baby. Come snuggle with us.”

He leapt up and tried to nudge Jimin out of the way so he could place his head on my lap. Jimin laughed and scratched him behind the ears.

“Not enough room for both of us, bud. I got dibs.”

Yukon let out a pitiful whine and gave us his best puppy eyes.

“Aw, Jimin. Let him have a turn.” I pleaded. “He’s doing his cutest and saddest face. I can’t resist that face.”

Jimin pressed one last kiss on my neck and conceded his seat to Yukon. The fluffy dog immediately scampered into my lap, where he didn’t quite fit anymore. His legs rested on the couch cushion, but he managed to nuzzle the rest of his body onto my lap.

“Yukon, did you eat Jimin’s wedding ring?” I played with his ears as he looked up guiltily at me. “Hmm? Did you eat it?”

“I’m not checking his every day.” Jimin called from the hallway. I shushed him; the babes were asleep and I wasn’t going to be the one to put them back to sleep if their stupid dad woke them up.

“Seriously, where the did it go?”

Jimin shrugged, then went into our bedroom. I sat contentedly with my sleepy puppy. He returned wearing a pair of basketball shorts and nothing else.

“Jeez, when did you get so thin?” I fretted. “Are you feeding yourself well? Aren’t you exercising too much?”

“Babe, you just watched me eat three servings of ramen.” He plopped himself down on the floor and started doing push-ups. Yukon lifted his head to watch him, but quickly grew bored and nudged his nose against my palm, an indication that he wanted more pats.

“Yeah, but still. You look really thin.”

“I’m fine, love. Don’t worry about me.”

“I’m your wife. I’m allowed to worry about you.”

Jimin ceased conversation in favor of counting push-ups under his breath. I turned up the volume on the television, but still watched him secretly from the corner of my eye. Exercising Jimin was y, not gonna lie. Distractingly y.

 

“Babe,” Jimin sat up and ran a hand through his sweaty hair, “pause the show while I take a shower.”

“Hm? Oh, okay.” I was a little preoccupied by the droplets of sweat trickling down his chest.

“My eyes are up here, baby girl.” Jimin smirked at me.

“Oh,” I cooed, melting inside, “you haven’t called me baby girl in ages.”

 

Jimin sprang up from the floor and pulled me into his embrace before I could register what was happening.

“Baby girl.” He said huskily, lips mere centimeters away from mine. “Baby girl, baby girl. My beautiful baby girl.”

“Holy .” I breathed.

“Yeah, I can you so good you think you’re having a spiritual experience.” Jimin whispered in my ear, slipping one hand into the back of my leggings. “Have you calling out for God.”

“That’s so sacrilegious.”

He ignored me and surprised me with a kiss. My hands found their way into his hair as he deepened the kiss, slipping his tongue in and leading us back to sit on the couch. He maneuvered us so I sat in lap, straddling him.

When we parted, I was breathless, but Jimin immediately leaned in for another kiss.

“Wait, wait.” I gently pressed a finger to his lips. He pouted and batted his eyelashes at me. “Just let me catch my breath.”

“I love you.” Jimin nudged his nose against mine. “I love you so much.”

“I love you, too.” I murmured, staring into his pretty brown eyes.

“Let’s get married.” He kissed me.

I smiled into the kiss. “We’re already married.”

“Then let’s have a couple of babies.”

“We have a couple of babies.”

Jimin kissed me again, then pulled away to touch his forehead to mine. He smoothed my hair back with the palms of his hands, a loving smile on his face.

“Oh? Then all of my dreams have already come true.” He kissed the tip of my nose.

I blinked at him. “Not your solo album. Not yet, at least.”

Jimin placed a sweet kiss on my cheek. “You’re my favorite dream come true.”

I felt a little fluttery feeling in my heart. “Yeah?”

“Yeah.” He gave me a half-smile. “I’m so lucky to be with you. Thanks for reminding me.”

“Thanks for remembering.”