Wrapping

Day by Day

Haru’s birthday was in one day. December 13th, exactly two months after Jimin’s. She wasn’t old enough to understand time, but she kept mentioning to Jimin and I that her birthday was just around the corner.

“Jimin.” I spoke into the phone, pressing it in between my shoulder and ear. I was in the middle of making a tuna fish sandwich for Haru. “You need to be at Haru’s birthday party. Did you figure it out?”

“Well…” He hesitated. “I’m going to be a bit late, but I’ll be there.”

“How late?” I asked, displeased.

“Like half an hour.”

“Alright, well, that’s not too bad. Did you get the present?”

“Pwesent! My pwesent?” Haru asked curiously from her high chair. We only had bar stools in the kitchen, which were much too tall for her to safely sit on, so she still got strapped in for every meal.

“Is that Haru?” Jimin asked on the other side of the line.

“No, it’s our other almost three year old.” I muttered sarcastically.

“You know what? I don’t need your sass right now.”

“What you need is that present! Make sure you bring it or I’m gonna be pissed.”

“I’ll be home in a couple of hours, babe. Don’t stress.” Jimin placated.

“Don’t forget to get it gift-wrapped!” I yelled into the phone as he sounded like he was about to hang up.

“I won’t. Love you, babe!”

“Love you, too.” I hung up and pocketed my phone, setting down Haru’s sandwich in front of her.

She started to cry. “Mama, I don’t want tuna fish.”

I rolled my eyes. “Haru, I asked you five times if this was what you wanted for lunch and you said yes. You better eat that tuna fish sandwich.”

“I don’t want it!” Haru shrieked. “I don’t wanna eat this yucky sandwich!”

“Haru, be nice to your mother.” A voice said from behind me. Haru gasped and turned pink.

“Oh, Jin. You’re here.” I kissed his cheek as he came up next to me. Jin had a key to our apartment for emergencies, but he used it almost every time he came over.

“Hi, sweetheart.” Jin gave me a hug before turning to Haru. “Haru, honey, why don’t you eat your sandwich?”

Haru obediently picked it up and took a bite. I scoffed and Jin snickered.

“Uncle Jin, what you doing here?” Haru asked through a mouthful of tuna.

“I’m helping Mama cook the food for your birthday party.”

“You is?”

“Are.” I corrected.

“Our is?” Haru tried again. I stifled a laugh.

“Yeah, honey, I am.”

“I wanna help!” Haru bounced up and down in her seat.

“Finish your food first.” Jin leaned over and kissed her nose. She giggled.

“Again.” She demanded.

Jin peppered her face in kisses.

“It’s going to be your naptime in a little while.” I warned Haru.

She pouted at me, but Jin ruffled her hair and she was all smiles.

 

Jin wore Jimin’s Hello Kitty apron. I had to take a picture of him in it. He posed with Haru in his arms and I put it on BTS’s twitter under Jin’s name.

“Uncle Jin, what are we cookin’?” Haru asked, waving a wooden spoon around.

“We’re baking your cake, princess.”

“Uncle Jin, I’m not a princess. I’m Haru.” She giggled, tugging on his pants in her excitement.

Jin crouched down so he was eye level with Haru. “You’re my princess, Haru. My very special girl.”

Haru threw her arms around his neck. “I love you, Uncle Jin.”

I had to interrupt this sweet moment with some terrible news.

“Haru, baby, it’s time for your nap.”

“No, it not.” Haru said matter-of-factly.

“It is.” I repeated firmly. “Give Uncle Jin a hug and a kiss and come to bed.”

“But I don’t want to.” She burst into tears and hopped up and down. “I don’t want to, Mama.”

Yukon trundled over and pushed his nose up against Haru’s hand. She sunk to the floor and wrapped her arms around him, sobbing into his fur.

“Can Yuton come to bed wif me?” Haru asked despondently.

“Yeah, he can.” I scooped the both of them up in my arms. Yukon wriggled happily and my face. Precious little puppy.

Jin bent down to give Haru a kiss, which she returned shyly.

“Goodnight, princess!” He called after us.

“Goo’night, Uncle Jin.” Haru whispered into my shoulder.

 

I put her in a diaper (she was almost potty trained, but couldn’t make it through a sleep without an accident) and tucked her into bed with Yukon. She grabbed my hand as I kissed her forehead and whispered “Have a good nap.”

“Mama.” Haru pulled me closer.

“What’s up, little love?”

“Can you cuddle wif me?” She held my face in her hands.

I melted at the tender look in her beautiful brown eyes. “Of course, baby. But just for a little while.”

I laid down next to her in her big-girl bed and wrapped my arms around her.

“Here, you has this buddy.” She broke free from me and bustled around her bed, tucking in a rabbit next to me. “And I has this one!” She hugged Floppy tightly.

Haru laid down next to me and smiled. “Mama, I love you.”

“I love you, too, Haru.”

“Mama, one day I’m gonna be as big as my daddy. I’m not gonna be a yeetle girl anymore. And then I can be a fiyafighta and help people.”

“You can be a firefighter. That’s nice, Haru. That’s a nice thing to do.” I nuzzled my nose into her hair.

“But I’m not a fiyafighta now.” She moaned. “I’m just yeetle.”

“Good.” I kissed her nose. “Stay yeetle. Always be my little baby Haru.”

“I’m not a baby, Mama.” She giggled.

“You’re my baby.” I squeezed her close to me, suddenly feeling sad. “I can’t believe you’re going to be three already. You’ve grown up too fast.”

Yukon my toes as Haru impulsively leaned forward and kissed my cheek.

“You beautiful, Mama. I love you.”

“I love you, too, baby. So, so, so much.”

 

I snuck out of her room once Haru closed her eyes. Jimin was home, a pleasant surprise. He was chomping on carrots on the couch while Jin was in the kitchen, chopping up something.

“Hey, baby!” He greeted me with a wide smile. I burst into tears. “Oh, . What’s wrong? What did I do?”

“Ha-Haru’s so grown.” I hiccupped. “I hate it.”

Jimin’s face instantly softened from its panicked expression. He set down his bowl of carrots and walked over to me. I sniffled as he took me into his arms. “I know, baby. I know.”

“I just want her to stay little forever.” I sobbed into his shoulder. He rubbed soothing circles against my back.

“You know what, love? We’re going to have another little baby real soon. Okay?” Jimin pulled back and kissed my forehead. I stared glumly up at him.

“It’s not the same.” I whispered. “She’s my firstborn.”

“Yeah. I’m gonna miss her snuggles.” Jimin agreed sadly. “Ten years from now she’s going to be a teenager.”

“That’s a long way away.” I mumbled, taking a deep breath to calm down. “A lot can happen in ten years. I haven’t even known you for that long.”

Jimin hugged me closer for a moment. “So, don’t stress, okay? She’ll be little for a while yet.”

 

Jin came in as Jimin kissed me. He cleared his throat.

“You guys are so touchy.” He grumbled. “I’m tired of catching you kissing.”

I shoved Jimin away from me, beet red. “It’s his fault. I’m only like this if I’m drunk.”

“Well, you’re not gonna be drunk for another seven months, mama.” Jimin patted my stomach. “Not with little sunshine in there.”

“What are you gonna do if we have a boy?” I demanded. “Are you even going to love him?”

He shrugged. “Probably. But less than I love Haru.”

I smacked him. “You better love all of our children fairly, Jimin.”

Jin interrupted us by taking my hand and dragging me into the kitchen, muttering something about how he thought this was going to be a joint effort to cook.

 

I emerged from the kitchen a half an hour later, extremely crabby. Jin was still in a good mood. We sat down on the couch next to Jimin, who promptly slung an arm around me.

“Namjoon’s coming over.” He announced.

“No, he’s not. Ji Eun’s supposed to come over!” I cried, panicked.

“Ooh, drama.” Jin rubbed his hands together. “I will enjoy watching this.”

“Baby, he’s already on his way.” Jimin said helplessly.

I glared at him as the doorbell rang. He jumped up to answer it.

“That’s probably Namjoon right now.”

Ji Eun stood on the other side. “Namjoon’s coming over?” Her eyes flashed dangerously over at me. I offered up a weak smile.

“If it makes you feel any better, I just found out now.”

“Found out what now?” Namjoon popped his head behind her. His expression changed from cheerful to annoyed when he realized who she was.

“Found out you were coming.” Ji Eun huffed, tossing her hair over her shoulder. It smacked Namjoon in the face.

“Wow, this is hostile.” Jimin commented, awkwardly standing back so they could come in. “Just wanted to have some people over to help me wrap Haru’s presents.”

“You didn’t get them wrapped?” I whisper-shrieked, trying not to wake Haru.

Jimin shot me a guilty look. “Um…they only had a wrapping station and I’m really terrible at wrapping gifts.”

“No worries. I am excellent at it.” Namjoon breezed into the room. “Where’s the stuff?”

“In our bedroom.” Jimin pointed. “And lock the door behind you. I don’t want Haru getting in.”

Ji Eun slouched down next to me on the couch. “You .” She mumbled, pinching me.

“I didn’t know he was going to be here.” I laid my head on her shoulder. “Be nice to me; I’m pregnant.”

“You’re pregnant!?” She screeched, shaking my arm. Jin clapped a hand over .

“You’re gonna wake up Haru.” He hissed. She stared at me with wide eyes.

“Whoops.” I said softly, turning pink. “Guess I forgot to tell you.”

“You !” Ji Eun smacked my arm. “Sunshine, you ing !”

Jin snorted. “Nice.”

“Don’t start with me, pretty man.” Ji Eun pointed a warning finger at him. “Judging from your complete lack of surprise, I’m guessing you already knew?”

“She told me by accident, too.” Jin smiled at me. “You really need to work on how you tell people you’re pregnant.”

“You’re pregnant?” Namjoon stood in the hallway. Jimin laughed from behind him.

“Yeah, we’re gonna have a baby soon.” He slung an arm around Namjoon’s shoulder. “Another little baby for you to love.”

“Yeah, since I’ll never have my own.” He glanced pointedly at Ji Eun for a moment.

“I’m not the only girl in the world!” She cried.

“You’re the only girl I love!” Namjoon shot back. His neck turned a blotchy shade of red.

“Hush, you’ll wake Haru.” Jimin chided. “If you two need to be dramatic, do it in the bedroom while you’re wrapping presents.”

“Fine.” Namjoon strode over and grabbed Ji Eun’s wrist. She protested as he dragged her into our bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him.

 

Haru let out a little cry. Jimin and I looked at each other and both sighed.

“Can’t they just fight in private? Why do they always have to do it in front of all of us?”

Jimin sat down next to me on the couch and took my hand in his. He played with my fingers absentmindedly. “She’ll probably fall back asleep if we just leave her in there.”

Jin squished himself in between us. Jimin looked at him sourly.

“What?” He asked innocently. “I was feeling left out.”

Jimin hissed as Jin nuzzled his head against my shoulder. “Sunshine, you’re just so pretty.”

I laughed. “You’re sweet.”

“Stop touching my wife.” Jimin growled, pulling Jin away from me. “Stop hitting on her.”

I pushed myself up off of the couch. “I’m going to get a blanket. Do you guys want one?”

“I do.” Jin raised his hand.

“I’ll just share with you.” Jimin smiled up at me.

 

I opened the door quietly, trying not to wake Haru.

“Oh my god.” I gasped. My hand flew to my mouth.

Namjoon and Ji Eun were kissing on my bed. Kissing. On my bed.

“Oh, .” Namjoon broke apart from her and glanced at me sheepishly.

“This isn’t what it looks like.” Ji Eun sat up and scooched away from him.

I shut the door behind me. “What the hell is going on?”

“We’re, um, we’re…” Namjoon stumbled, looking between me and Ji Eun.

“Making out.” I finished. “On my bed.”

JI Eun sighed and ran her fingers through her long, black hair. “It’s complicated, sunshine.”

“I understand.” I said softly. “Namjoon, can you give us a minute?”

He looked to Ji Eun, who nodded. He patted my shoulder as he walked past me.

When the door shut behind him, I sat down on the bed next to Ji Eun. “What’s going on, Ji Eun?”

She rested her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arms around her. “Don’t tell Tae.” She whispered.

“I won’t.” I promised.

“I really like him, you know.”

“But you love Namjoon.” I gave her a squeeze.

“Yeah.” A tear plopped onto my arm. “I do.”

“Then why aren’t you with him?” I her hair, unused to seeing her cry about boys.

“Because we’re not good together. You know that. We all know that.” Ji Eun sniffed. “We haven’t been able to make a relationship work for all the time we’ve been together. It’s been almost as long as you and Jimin. Over five years since I’ve known him, but we just fight.”

“What do you two fight about?” Ji Eun had remained tight-lipped about their relationship the whole time they’d been together.

She shrugged. “You know. Marriage, kids. His career. He wants to settle down, but I just don’t trust him. You know he had a couple of flings with idols while we were on breaks. What if he wants to do that again? What if he cheats on me?”

“You were with other people, too.” I reminded her gently. “Do you think he would cheat on you?”

She shrugged again. “I don’t know, sunshine. I just don’t think he’s that committed to me. He was in the beginning, but that was when I wasn’t sure about him. When I knew I loved him, we started fighting a lot more. He loves me, I think, but I don’t know if he knows how to take care of me. How can I marry a man like that? I need to be with someone who looks out for me and cares more about our relationship than his next mixtape and going on tour, you know?”

“Yeah. I know.” I knew all too well. “Why’d we fall in love with musicians? It seems like a foolish choice.”

“Right? Definitely not how I expected my love life to turn out.” Ji Eun let out a weak chuckle.

“So how’d you and Namjoonie end up making out in my bed? You know Jimin and I have in this bed.” I teased.

She smacked me. “Gross, sunshine. I don’t need to know about the details of your life.”

“You were always so interested before.”

“That was before you got married.” She wrinkled her nose in distaste. “I don’t need to know about your boring married life.”

“We’re not boring.” I protested, injured.

“Shh, shh. I don’t want to hear about it.” She pressed a finger to my lips.

“You’re rude.” I huffed.

“And you’re tame. No longer my wild sunshine. Jimin has tamed you and you’re in love and a mom. So, just shh. Some of us are still enjoying our youth.”

“Yeah, by cheating on your boyfriend with his best friend.” I commented wryly. “Sounds like a fun youth.”

Ji Eun turned red and flopped back against the mattress.

“I still don’t really understand why you guys broke up.”

She burrowed under the covers and hid her face from me.

“You two look really happy for a couple of months, but then suddenly everything was over.” I continued.

I laid down next to her and tugged the blanket a little lower to reveal her face.

“What happened, Ji Eun? Hmm?”

“We started talking about getting serious. Moving in together, getting married, having kids. After that conversation, we started fighting a lot more. He wants me to stay at home and raise babies, but I don’t want that. I want him to be home more and stop working so much, but he says his rap is his first love and he can’t abandon it.”

I let out a slight scoff. “He can be a musician and still be home. Jimin does it, even though it’s a challenge.”

“Right?” She sat up and ran her fingers through her hair. “He’s not prioritizing me at all! Like as soon as I told him I loved him, he just sort of took it for granted that I would keep loving him. Little .”

I laughed, clapping my hands in amusement. Ji Eun looked slightly mollified.

“I mean, really. He expects me to just drop my whole life to be his little wife? Nothing against women who do that, but I’ve always been more of a career person and he knows that. So why does he expect me to change for him? Especially when he’s saying he can’t even come home earlier three nights a week!”

I tsked. “This jerk. I didn’t even know Namjoon was so conservative.”

“Yeah, he has unrealistic expectations for women. I thought he’d grow out of it, but he hasn’t.”

She sighed and leaned against the headboard.

“Tae doesn’t even want kids yet. He’s not even thinking about it at all.” She laid back against the pillow and wiped her eyes. “And he’s so nice and sweet. He knows all about what happened between Namjoon and I, and he doesn’t even care.”

I patted her head. “He’s a good guy. There’s a reason why he’s Jimin’s best friend, after all.”

“We’re both just trying to have a good time and forget about the people we fell in love with. But Namjoon’s just so hard to forget about when he’s right here in front of me all the time. I just love him so much, sunshine.”

“I know you do.” I murmured. “I know.”

 

A gentle knock came at the door. Jimin poked his head in.

“Hey.” He said softly, looking at me. “You guys alright?”

I nodded.

Ji Eun pushed herself off of the bed. “Jimin, who should I choose? TaeTae or Namjoon?”

Jimin pondered for a moment. “Whoever you want to see before you fall asleep.”

She patted his shoulder as she brushed past him. “Easy for you to say. You’ve only ever loved one person.”

                                                                        

Jimin grinned at me. “That’s true. I never needed to love anyone else besides you.”

I crossed the room and stood in front of him. He puckered his lips for a kiss. I chuckled at his ridiculous expression before pushing his face away.

“Save the sap for later, lover boy.”

“I’ll wrap these presents.” He told me before sneaking in a kiss. “You distract Haru if she wakes up.”

I held his face in my hands for a moment. Jimin smiled, a soft, sweet smile.

“Thanks for being so great.” I whispered. “I appreciate you.”

He leaned in to kiss me gently. “I appreciate you, too.” His hands slid down my body. “I also appreciate this booty.”

“Oh my gosh.” I rolled my eyes at him. “Just wrap these presents.”

“Love you, baby!” Jimin called after me. I flipped him off with a smirk.