Kisses

Day by Day

JIMIN’S POV

 

“It’s Chrishmas Eve!” Haru hopped around on the living room carpet of my parents’ house. “Santa is comin’!”

“Santa’s not real.” My wife said from her lazy spot in my father’s armchair. She had draped herself across it, legs over the armrest. She scrolled through her phone as she casually crushed our daughter’s hopes and dreams.

Haru looked up at me with tears glistening in her eyes. “Santa’s not real, Daddy?”

“Of course he’s real, holly berry. Who else would eat the cookies you and Grandpa made?”

“Me.” My wife said. “Although I’d like almond milk this year. Can’t have lactose, Jimin.”

“Mama eats the cookies?” Haru’s lower lip trembled.

“No, Mama doesn’t eat the cookies.” I reassured her. “And it’s not Christmas Eve, poinsettia. Tomorrow’s Christmas Eve.”

“Yeah, and tonight Mama is going out.” My wife crowed, carding a finger through her curls. “I’m gonna get so druuuunk.”

I covered Haru’s ears. “You’re pregnant, .”

Her face fell. “. I forgot.”

“How can you forget? You cried when you couldn’t fit into your jeans this morning. You’re wearing my sweatpants right now.””

My wife’s eyes filled with tears. “Jimin, you jerk! Are you calling me fat?”

“I’m calling you pregnant.” I laughed.

Haru looked up at me in concern. “Mama’s crying! Why’s her crying?”

“She’s not feeling well, love.” I kissed Haru’s curls. She scooted away from me and crawled into her mother’s lap.

“Mama, you otay?” Haru asked, tenderly cupping her mother’s face. “You sad, Mama? Why you crying?”

“I’m just feeling emotional, little love.” My wife ran her fingers through Haru’s curls. “Just a little emotional.”

“A little memoshinal?” Haru lisped. “You sick, Mama? Your tummy hurt?” She rubbed my wife’s stomach. “Mama, you tummy is round.”

“Cause I’m getting a baby, love.” She replied, kissing Haru’s forehead. “A baby is growing inside of Mama’s belly.”

Haru stared at her, nonplussed. “A baby is in dere?” She poked my wife’s belly.

“Yeah.”

“Take it out. I wanna see it.” Haru demanded.

“I can’t, love. It’s not ready to come out yet. We have to wait a while.”

“Forty minutes?” She asked. “We have to wait forty minutes and then a baby is gonna come out of your belly?”

“In the summer. In the summer the baby will be ready.”

Haru contemplated that for a minute. “We go to the park in the summer. We went to the animal museum and we saw the dinosaurs. They were a yeetle scary. I don’t like dinosaurs. I just like buddaflies. And they eat bananas.”

“You sure?” My wife smiled, still playing with Haru’s hair.

“Uh, yeah.” Haru nodded. “Buddaflies eat bananas. Like me!” She pointed to herself and smiled.

“Haru, you’re going to be a big sister.” Jimin interrupted.

She turned to stare at him. “A big sister?”

“Yeah, love. You’re going to have a new baby brother or sister like Min Ho from daycare. His mommy and daddy had a baby.”

“I was a baby.” Haru said importantly. “But now I’m a big girl.”

“Yeah, you are a big girl. That’s why Mama and Daddy thought it would be a good idea to have another little baby.”

Haru nodded, then changed the subject. “The dinosaurs come into my room at night. They’s a yeetle scary. Just a yeetle. And they waked me up. They say, ‘Haru, it’s time to waked up.’” She mimicked yawning and stretching her arms. “And den I waked up and went to go see Mama and Daddy. And den the dinosaurs tried to eat me.”

“Okay.” My wife said uncertainly. “Haru, do you understand what we’re trying to tell you?”

“Um, yeah.” She nodded and hopped off of the chair. “I’m gonna go see Grandma.”

The two of us watched her toddle out of the living room before exchanging looks.

“Kids are so ing weird.” My wife whispered. I nodded fervently.

 

“Grandma!” We heard Haru shout from the kitchen. “Mama’s getting a baby!”

I heard the distinct sound of a plate shattering on the ground and I rushed into the kitchen, my wife at my heels. She crouched next to Haru to make sure she was okay while I worriedly examined my mom, who had started crying.

“Jimin,” she whispered, “is it true? Are you two pregnant?”

I cupped her face in my hands and kissed her cheek. “Yeah, Mama. We’re having a baby.”

“Oh, my baby.” She wrapped her arms around my neck and held me close to her, her tears wetting my neck. “Oh, my beautiful baby boy.”

“Why’s Grandma cryin’?” I heard Haru whisper to my wife.

“Because, my love, she’s happy.”

“But people don’t cry when they happy.” Haru disagreed, confused.

“Sometimes they do.” My wife said softly. “Sometimes people are so, so, so happy they just start to cry.”

“Huh.” Haru said. “I wanta give Grandma a hug.”

“I’m sure she’ll love it.”

Haru ran over on unsteady feet and threw her arms around my mother’s leg.

“Don’t cry, Grandma.” Haru whispered, kissing her grandmother’s pants. “I love you.”

My mom sniffled and held me closer.

 

My wife went out with her friends later for their annual December 23rd barhop. Sul, Daniel, Ji Eun, and Taehyung were all attending this year, plus my wife’s cousin and probably Tae Joon. I knew better than to ask if he would come. It was water under the bridge now; I knew she would make good choices.

I spent a good part of the night snuggled up next to my mom, my head in her lap as she my hair. Haru was on a nighttime walk with my dad and Yukon. She and my father were obsessed with each other.  My dad adored taking Haru on little outdoor adventures and Haru loved wearing her special snow boots. They were pink and purple and had unicorns on them.

“I can’t believe my little baby is having a baby.” My mom murmured for the hundredth time that night.

“Mama, I already have a baby.”

“I know you do. But each baby is special. Plus, I love seeing you with a baby. You’re so tender.”

“Yeah, my wife loves it, too. Said it made her fall in love with me all over again when she’d catch me singing lullabies to Haru when she was an infant.”

“I can’t believe how that girl has grown. She’s beautiful, Jimin.”

“She’s a good girl.” I smiled and stretched as my mom carded her fingers through my hair.

“She looks so much like you.”

“Yeah, I know. People mistake her for a boy quite often. I suppose it’s the way we dress her, too.”

“She’s got your wife’s nose.”

“She’s got her ears, too. Pointy little elf ears.”

“How are you and your wife doing?”

“I love her.” I sighed dreamily. “Exquisite creature.”

“You’re welcome.”

I turned and wrapped my arms around my mom’s waist. “Thank you, Mama.” I mumbled into her sweater.

 

The doorbell rang and I reluctantly sat up.

“That must be Gemma.” My mom patted my back. “Can you get the door, baby?”

“Yeah.” I kissed her temple and she smiled fondly at me.

 

“Gemma!” I cried, flinging open the door. “What the hell? Tae?”

“Language, Jimin!” My mom shouted from the living room.

Taehyung chuckled.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, confused.

“Ji Eun said I couldn’t come tonight since I wasn’t a part of the original crew.”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m not allowed either. Well, come on in.”

“Are you expecting Gemma?” He asked, looking reluctant.

“Yup.” I grabbed his arm and pulled him in. “Say hi to my mom.” I pushed him towards the living room.

 

I looked out the door again to see a group of four coming towards me. Two adults and a very excited small child and puppy jumping around and falling in the snow, then cackling and barking at themselves. She shrieked when she saw me.

“Daddy!”

“Haru!” I squatted down and she flew up the steps and into my arms. “My Haru!”

“My daddy! My daddy!” Haru jumped up and down, curls bouncing. Her cheeks were bright red from the cold.

“Oh, I missed you, sugarplum. You’re not allowed to ever leave me again, ever.”

“Ever, ever, ever!” Haru shouted.

I lifted her up and peppered her face in kisses, smiling as she giggled uncontrollably.

“Daddy, my daddy.” She patted my cheek to get my attention.

“Yes, my beautiful snow princess.”

“Aunt Gemma is here. In dis house.” She turned and excitedly pointed her out.

“So she is!” I cried. “Did you see her when you went outside with Grandpa?”

“Yeah, yeah! She was walkin’ and she scared me cause I didn’t know she was dere.”

“Oh, did she? Did you scream a little bit?” I bopped her nose.

“Yeah, I did.” Haru said gravely. “And Grandpa said I was gonna give ‘im a heart battack.”

“Oh, no. We don’t want Grandpa to get a heart battack.”

“No, so that’s why we can’t scream.” Haru told me seriously, and put her finger to her lips.

“I love you.” I whispered, kissing her.

She beamed at me. “I love you, too, Daddy.”

“Give me kisses.” I demanded. “Daddy needs lots and lots of kisses.”

“No.” Haru refused with a smile.

“Kisses!” I insisted, holding my cheek out. “I need them!”

“No, no, no!” Haru shrieked, giggling. “No tisses!”

“Yes, kisses! Give me kisses!” I roared, tackling her to the ground. “I need so, so many kisses. I need all the kisses in the world!”

Haru giggled her deep giggle and pulled my hair as I growled over her body, pretending to eat her.

“I’m this kiss monster. You have to give me kisses and I won’t eat you.”

“Eat me!” Haru cried. “I wanna get eated!”

“Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom.” I mouthed at her sweater.

“Ah, dat tickles, Daddy!”

“I’m not your daddy! I’m the kiss monster.” I growled.

Haru held my face in her hands and looked at me seriously. “You is my daddy. We are just pretendin’.”

“Ah, you got me.” I slumped onto her, defeated. She cackled and tugged on my arm.

“You’re so silly, Daddy. But you bootiful, Daddy.”

“Certainly bootyful.” Gemma stood above us. She smacked my and I yelled, rolling off of Haru.

“That’s my wife’s!” I cried. “Can’t touch.”

She giggled and plopped down next to us. Haru patted her knee excitedly.

“Aunt Gemma.” She cocked her head shyly and pointed at Gemma. “I wanna play wit you.”

“Okay, baby! What do you wanna play?”

 

I felt someone’s stare on us, so I lifted my head and looked around, immediately locking eyes with Taehyung. He averted his eyes and gave an awkward cough. I nudged Gemma and she elbowed me sharply in the ribs.

“Don’t even think of interfering, Jimin.” Gemma hissed at me.

“You loooove him.” I teased.

“What are you whispershing about?” Haru poked her head in between us, looking for all the world like a little puppy.

“How much we love you.” I smiled at her. She let out a delighted little giggle, then hopped away to chase after Yukon.

“Yuton! Yuton, come play wit me!” She clapped her hands and the small dog came running, jumping up and her face. She giggled and looked back at me. “Daddy, he’s givin’ me tisses!”

“He is indeed, little love. Can Daddy have a kiss?”

“No.” Haru replied, nonchalantly breaking my heart.

“But Daddy loves you.” I cooed, holding my hands out to her.

“No.” She giggled evilly.

“Definitely her mother’s daughter.” Gemma murmured. I pushed her a little bit. She laughed and continued teasing me. “You’re still the same lovesick boy, too.”

“Yup.”

“That’s unnatural. Most people don’t love each other this much after having kids. Or even after a year of marriage. You guys aren’t newlyweds.”

“We’ve only been married three and a half years.” I reminded her. “It’s not a long time. And we’re not old yet. Who knows what will happen in ten years.”

“I suppose that’s true.” She pondered for a moment. “I’ll be sad if you two fade into a couple that makes passive-aggressive comments about each other to the babysitter.”

“Me too.” I said softly. “She asks me that sometimes. If I’ll stop loving her one day or if we’ll stop wanting to talk to each other. I know we won’t be in love like this forever, but I don’t want to stop loving my wife.”

Gemma patted my back.

“Life is tiring.” I continued. “But we try to make time for the little things. And we still like kissing, which I honestly believe is more important than .”

She snorted.

“No, seriously. It’s easy to have , but after you’re married, kissing takes more effort. I like making out, not just little goodbye or good morning kisses. I don’t do ‘Have a nice day, baby’ kisses.”

“I don’t need to hear about your kissing preferences.” Gemma grimaced.

“Uncle TaeTae! Come sit wit me.” Haru called. Taehyung obliged and she pulled him over to Gemma. “Uncle TaeTae, this is my Aunt Gemma. And this is my daddy.” She patted my knee and looked up innocently at Taehyung. “You know Aunt Gemma?”

“Yeah.” Tae said softly, glancing up at Gemma. “I know her.”

“How do you know her?”

“Your daddy introduced us.” Taehyung scooped her up and rubbed their noses together.

“Where’s Aunt Ji Eun? Why you not togedder with her?” Haru asked.

“She’s out tonight, baby girl. You’ll see her tomorrow.”

“Mama’s out, too. She went to go get juice boxes with her friends.”

Taehyung laughed.

“My mama’s getting a baby.” Haru informed Taehyung.

Gemma started beside me.

“I know, honey! Your daddy told me!” He ruffled Haru’s hair. “You’re gonna be a big sister!”

“Like Min Ho from daycare.”

“Sure, sure.” Taehyung nodded.

“Is Aunt Ji Eun getting a baby?” Haru asked.

“No.” He said firmly. “She is not.”

Haru turned to Gemma. “Are you getting a baby?”

A flash of sadness crossed Gemma’s face before she reached out and ruffled Haru’s hair. “Nope, little love. I’m not.”

Haru pouted. “Why is Mama the only one?”

I wasn’t sure how to answer that. “Just because.”

“But, why?” Haru whined. “Why, Daddy? Why?”

“Hey, Haru.” I bent down to whisper conspiratorially in her ear. “I bet you Grandma has some dessert for you.”

“Dessert?” She asked interestedly. “Is you sure?”

“Are, love. Are you sure. Not is you sure.”

“Are you sure?” Haru placed her hands on my legs and looked up at me eagerly. Yukon jumped up and did the same thing. Puppies. I had two puppies.

“Why don’t you go ask her?” I pointed to my mom sitting on the couch, reading a book.

“Grandma!” Haru shouted, running over towards her. “You has dessert for me?”

“Oh. Yes, I do.” My mom glanced up and met my eye. She winked and I grinned at her.

 

Gemma and Taehyung looked at each other awkwardly for a moment before he broke the silence.

“Do you remember when we were here for a Christmas party a few years ago and Jimin got so piss drunk he took a million selfies with both of our phones and texted them to both of us?”

She laughed. “I had text messages coming in for hours. It was so irritating! Neither of us could use our phones. I remember I had to text you something important, like what I needed to give your mom for Christmas.”

“Yeah, and it couldn’t send because of this over here.” He cocked his thumb at me.

“Wow, rude. I don’t remember that at all.” I pushed his thumb out of my face.

“They’re terrible pictures. I posted some in the fancafe. Ruined your image a little bit.”

I shrugged. “My image was ruined a little bit anyway when I got married. Nobody wanted to see my pretty face if they couldn’t imagine having me for themselves.”

“Your popularity came back when you had your baby, though.” Tae reminded me. “Everyone is weak to a handsome man who’s a good father.”

“Yeah, seriously.” Gemma agreed. “That’s very true, Jimin.”

“Did you all secretly fall for me?” I wiggled my eyebrows.

“You got me.” Taehyung shrugged. “Your wife better watch her back. I’ll steal you away.”

“Yeah, not happening.” I laughed. “I won’t fall pretty to your shaggy hair and charming smile.”

Gemma giggled. “Personally, I fell for the soft hair tousles.”

“Soft hair tousles?” I quirked my head at her as Tae blushed.

“Yeah, like this.” She leaned forward and rubbed my hair with a goofy grin on her face.

“I don’t do that.” Tae muttered.

“No, you definitely do!” I reached over and patted his hair, mocking him. “I’ve been on the receiving end of them many a time.”

“It’s cute.” Gemma said affectionately.

“I’m a cutie.” Taehyung held his face in his hands and gave us a smile.

Gemma suddenly sighed and slumped against me. “Jiminie…I’m tired.”

“Go home.” I pushed her away. “Don’t sleep on me.”

“You’re so mean to me.” She snapped. “I’ve known you your whole life. Have some respect.”

“Shh.” I pulled her back against my shoulder and her hair. “Just shh. Relax here until I have to put Haru to sleep.”

“When’s that?”

I checked my phone. “Now, actually.”

 

Haru was falling asleep in my arms as I carried her up the stairs. I carried her into my bedroom where we’d set up a cot for her. She took turns sleeping in our room and my parents’ room. I set her down on the mattress and snuggled up next to her.

“Daddy.” She whispered, clinging to me.

“Yes, my love.”

“Don’t leave. You can’t leave, okay?”

“I’m not going anywhere.” I her hair. “My big three year old girl.”

She fell asleep with her fist curled around my shirt and I remembered other nights when she’d fallen asleep just like this. I closed my eyes and kissed her soft, baby skin, regretting how time passed so quickly. It felt like a few months ago that’d she’d been tiny enough to hold in my arm, too little to do anything but sleep and smile.

We were having another baby and I couldn’t wait, but it was bittersweet to watch my firstborn grow up so fast.

“I won’t ever leave you, Haru.” I murmured against her skin. “My little love.”

 

HER POV

I came home to find Jimin asleep in Haru’s bed. Nothing I hadn’t seen before, but he was going to ruin her ability to sleep alone.

“Jimin, wake up.” I bent down and tugged on his hair.

“Hmm.” He yawned and stretched, knocking Haru’s head against the bed rails.

“Oh my god!” I hissed. “Are you trying to give our daughter a concussion?”

Jimin sat up and rubbed his eyes. “Hey, baby.”

“Jimin, how many times have I told you not to fall asleep with Haru?”

“Many times.” He lumbered out of her bed and collapsed onto his. “Just hush. She’s a love. Wouldn’t let me leave.”

I changed into pajamas and joined him, snuggled under the same blanket. I hated sharing blankets, but I wasn’t about to demand an extra comforter from my mother-in-law. People thought it was weird Jimin and I didn’t sleep under the same blanket, but they probably didn’t grow up sharing a bed with their selfish older sister. If we shared blankets, Jimin would wake up freezing every night because of my self-preservation instincts.

“How was your night?” Jimin yawned and pulled his phone out of his pocket, scrolling through it as he waited for my answer.

“Fine. Ji Eun got really ing drunk. She’s going to have a terrible hangover tomorrow. We’re not in our early twenties anymore.”

“Did you have fun?”

“Yeah.”

Jimin put down his phone and rolled over to face me, a stern expression on his face.

“You’re hiding something from me.”

I flushed. “No, I’m not.”

“Yeah, you are.” He insisted. “What are you not telling me?”

“You’re just gonna get mad.”

“What did you do?” Jimin held my chin in his hand and frowned at me.

“Ahhhhhh, I don’t wanna tell yoooooou.” I moaned.

“Judging from your reaction, you’re more embarrassed about it than ashamed of it.” He let go of my face and settled back comfortably against his pillows. “Take your time. I’ll be waiting.”

“One of your fangirls asked me if I was your wife and I said no.” I blurted out.

Jimin looked puzzled. “You said no? Why?”

“I don’t know! I panicked! And then she pulled up all these pictures of the two of us and Haru on her phone and said, ‘That’s you, right?’ and I just kept denying it like an idiot and all my friends were too drunk to help me out.”

He laughed. “Oh my god, that’s priceless. I wish I had been there to witness it.”

“It’s weird that people have pictures of us on their phones.” I reached over and plucked Jimin’s phone from him. “Which reminds me. Don’t upload horrible pictures of me on your Instagram. That girl showed me this one, where is it…ah! This! Me sleeping! Why do you need to post pictures of me sleeping on your social media accounts?”

Jimin gave me a wide smile, cheeks looking so kissable. “You’re just so pretty when you’re sleeping, baby.”

I kissed his kissable cheeks before cuddling up against him.

“Hey, remember when we used to make out in this bed when we were dating?”

“I do remember that.” Jimin said fondly, tapping my nose. “You used to call me a boy.”

I nuzzled my nose against his scratchy cheek. “You’re not a boy. Although I did have to school you a bit in feminist issues.”

“Ah, I was young and naïve.”

“Ignorant.” I corrected. “Ignorant and raised in a patriarchal society that commodifies women.”

“I worry about Haru sometimes.” Jimin confessed. “I want her to always be as happy as she is now. I don’t want her to worry about her weight or whether or not some boy wants her. I don’t want her to have ual experiences she doesn’t want or to kiss people she doesn’t love.”

“Jimin, it’s honestly fine to kiss people you don’t love. Besides, she might worry if a girl wants her.”

“Yeah, that’s true.” Jimin tucked me up against his shoulder and my hair. “I hope she’s happy. I just want her to stay three forever and call me Daddy. I think I’ll cry when she shortens it to Dad.”

“I just hope she doesn’t call her boyfriend daddy.” I yawned and pulled the covers up to my chin. When Jimin didn’t answer, I glanced at him. He looked stricken and I found it hilarious. “Hmm, I can see you hope that as well.”

“I really hope Haru’s gay.” Jimin whispered fervently.

I laughed. “You’re adorable.”

“No, but I do seriously worry about her sometimes. It’s tough raising daughters.”

“You’ve only got one so far.” I pointed out.

“Just wait until this little girl comes out.” Jimin rested his hand on my stomach. “She’ll be a handful. I can already tell.”

“Seriously, what are you going to do if we have a boy?”

“Love him.” He said simply. “And raise him well.”

“Good.” I replied, satisfied with his answer. “So, do you wanna hear the latest gossip?”

“Ooh, yes.” Jimin took back his phone and placed it on the nightstand. “Tell me all about your night.”

“Well, Ji Eun got really drunk, as you know. She drunk called Namjoon and told him she loved him. Like, really, really loved him. She was so sloppy, honestly. And I could hear him talking to her and he said the sweetest things, but kept reminding her that she was with Taehyung and wanted to be with Taehyung.”

“Why is she with Taehyung when she loves Namjoon?”

I sighed through my nose. “From what I can understand, Namjoon doesn’t support her career.”

“What kind of…” Jimin shook his head. “After all the she has to deal with because of his? Remember when there was that scandal about them dating and they interviewed her past boyfriends who said she was a ? And he doesn’t support her career?”

I shuddered. “Don’t remind me of that. I’m glad we were already married before the media found out about us.”

“How’s she feel about TaeTae?”

“She loves him. I think she does, at least.” I added quietly. “She looks at him like she loves him. And they’re always touching each other, not like gross affection, but some part of them is always touching.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed that. He’s always got his hand on her shoulder or around her waist, or she’s got his hand on his thigh or they’re sitting close together on the couch. It’s cute.”

“But she loves Namjoon more. He’s her person.”

“Her person?” Jimin played with my bangs.

“Yeah. The one person she loved the most.”

“You’re my person.” He kissed my forehead.

“I’m the only person you’ve ever loved.”

“I got lucky.” He whispered, tugging on my hair.

“You’re my person. Gemma’s, too.”

“Hmm, I don’t know about that last one. Gemma was totally flirting with TaeTae tonight. Called him cute and said she fell for him because of his hair or whatever.”

“What the ? Is she trying to steal someone else’s boyfriend again?” I snapped.

“Baby, relax. They were just talking.”

Flirting.”

“He’s not into her.” He said. “I was wrong. He and Ji Eun are happy together, even if she’s in love with Namjoon.”

“Yeah, they are.” I yawned and shut off the light. “Namjoon loves her, though. So badly. I heard him talking to her tonight. He said he’d always love her and he was so, so sorry.”

“I’ll bet he is.” Jimin wrapped his arms around me and burrowed his nose deep into my curls. “Goodnight, baby.”

“Goodnight, Jimin.”