Dance

Day by Day

I loved living with a dancer.

 

Every moment of Jimin’s exuded grace and beauty. Even when he fell, he did so in such a way that it appeared to be on purpose. I used to laugh at him when we first started dating about his habit of standing with his feet turned out, but it endeared him to me.

I was not graceful. Jimin tumbled across our bed in the morning like it was nothing, but I constantly tripped over the blankets and landed face first into the carpet. He’d smoothly glide across the sidewalk while holding Haru’s hand, but I would trip over every single crack. He’d always reach out a hand to steady me with a small smile on his face. I never could quite tell if he laughed at me on the inside, but the moments were rare when he laughed out loud.

Haru had not inherited my clumsiness. She wasn’t exceptionally graceful for a three year old, but she could dance. Some nights I came home to see her and Jimin two-stepping in the living room while watching music videos. Her current favorite artists were f(x) and Michael Jackson. On Valentine’s Day, she told me that if Michael Jackson already had a Valentine, she was gonna freak out. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that Michael Jackson would never have a Valentine again.

One artist I was not pleased to see her take an interest in was Jay Park. She stared at him the way she stared at her uncle Jin; like a lovestruck little girl. I approved of Jin, but I definitely didn’t approve of Jay Park. How could I let my daughter grow up loving boys?

Jimin told me it was my own fault since I couldn’t stop watching his music videos or listening to his music.

“Of course she’s going to like him, you’re so damn obsessed and she wants to be like you.”

He grumbled about my obsession with Jay Park. I chose to never tell him about the time I went to one of his concerts and screamed that he could take me anytime, anywhere. Jay Park had actually winked at me and then I screamed into Ji Eun’s shoulder, practically sobbing.

I asked Jimin casually one day if he would ever learn one of Jay Park’s dances for me. He said “No ing way” and effectively ended the conversation. I pestered him for weeks, probably months, until he told me to shut the up. I did, but not before bursting into tears. Being pregnant caused me a lot of emotional turmoil.

 

I came home one day, letting myself in quietly, and surprised Jimin in our bedroom. He was in the midst of filming himself dancing to Jay Park’s song “Mommae.” I dropped my bag (and my jaw) in shock.”

“Holy mothering , if I weren’t pregnant with your baby already, seeing you doing that dance move would have gotten me pregnant.”

Jimi spun around, flushed with shame.

“You’re not supposed to be home yet.”

“I got out early. Where’s Haru?” I wiped away a speck of drool from the corner of my mouth.

“With Kookie.” Jimin mumbled, still obviously embarrassed.

“I didn’t even know you could dance like that.” My gaze drifted downward as I recalled his hip from a moment ago.

“Yeah, you did.” He tugged on his bangs and shifted so he could shut off the music, which was still blaring the obscene lyrics.

“Okay, you can do hip s, but I’ve never seen you do them quite like that.” I insisted. “Do it again.”

“No.” Jimin refused.

“Please.” I pouted my lip at him.

“No. You freak.”

“Why are you sulking?” I demanded, coming closer to him.

Jimin flopped onto the bed, ever so gracefully, with a defeated expression on his face.

“You think Jay Park’s ier than me.”

I burst into laughter and laid down beside him. “When have I ever said that?”

“With your eyes.” He pinched my nose accusatorily. “If Jay Park was ever in ten feet of you, your and your wedding rings would be off in a hot second.”

“Oh my god.” I rolled my eyes, unable to keep from giggling.

“It’s true! I’ve literally seen you wipe the drool from your mouth after watching NaNa. You hate boys, but you’re like head over heels for the biggest one I’ve ever seen just cause he dances a little ily.”

“Alright, fine. That’s fair. I drool over Jay Park. I’d probably lose my if he were around me, probably.” I conceded with a nod. Jimin groaned beside me. “But! Let’s not forget that you made out with Hwasa.”

“Before I even met you!” Jimin exclaimed in exasperation.

“Still. Still. Your lips touched those lips and your hands probably got all up on those thighs.”  I shook my head. “You probably still think about it sometimes.”

“Literally only when you bring it up.” He sighed. “God, you’re impossible.”

“If you could cheat on me with any celebrity, who would it be?”

Jimin turned his head to look at me. “Isn’t this a tender topic?” He asked flatly.

“Just answer the question.” I waved away his concerns.

“I don’t even know.” He ran his hand through his hair.

“Jun Ji Hyun?”

“Nah.”

“Park Shin Hye?”

He wrinkled his nose. “No.”

“Sul. Oh my god, you would cheat on me with Sul.”

“She’s not a celebrity.” Jimin pointed out.

“So, if she were, you would cheat on me with Sul?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Yup. Sweet little Sul. She’s adorable. I’d definitely cheat on you with her.” He flicked my forehead.

“I don’t think Daniel would be too pleased.”

“Sometimes I hate you.” Jimin commented, staring up at the ceiling. “Honestly.”

“You love me.” I grinned at him, watching him. He didn’t turn to look at me, just continued in a thoughtful voice.

“You’re a hateful person.”

“That’s what you love about me.”

“I really picked the perfect nickname for you when we first started dating. Little devil.”

“Am I still your little devil?” I traced my thumb against the side of his face.

“Well, you’re still evil and a ing tease, so I’d say yeah, you’re still my little devil.”

“And now I’m populating the earth with my evil little minions.” I rubbed a hand over my stomach.

“Year little posse of heartbreakers. If we have a boy, he’s probably gonna be a boy.”

“Probably.” I agreed. “With your face and my personality? I’m probably gonna hate him by the time he’s twenty.”

“Well, you hate men.”

“I love you.” I reminded him.

Jimin impulsively kissed my cheek. I sighed with a smile on my face and nuzzled closer to him.

“I wanna have a boy.” I whispered into his y little stubble. He must have forgotten to shave that morning.

“Why? So you can hate him?”

“I wouldn’t mind having a boy if he were like you.”

Jimin brushed my hair out of my face and gazed tenderly into my eyes. “You really love me, huh?”

“Just a yeetle bit.” I murmured, kissing him one, two, three times.

 

Jimin left me after a little making out to go and take a shower. I picked up the camera and played his recording of him dancing to “Mommae.” He started it off talking and I wondered if this was something he had planned on showing me later. I debated whether I should watch it and decided in favor of watching it. What if he deleted it later and I never got to see it?

“Baby,” he began, brushing his hair back and his lips, the way he always started a video, “you know I don’t approve of your love for Jay Park, but I decided to do this for you since I made you cry. I love you, and also fully expect to get laid after this. Just kidding, but kind of not.” He winked at me and then started the music.

I was full on drooling by the time he switched off the recording, a shocked expression on his face as I entered the room.

 

“What are you doing?”

I glanced up to see Jimin standing in the doorway, one of our red towels wrapped around his waist.

“Nothing.” I fumbled to switch off the camera and dropped it. It fell to the floor with a concerning thump, and started blaring the video.

Jimin raised an eyebrow and smirked. “Nothing, huh? Doesn’t seem like nothing.”

My face burned as he sauntered over to me, pushing back his wet hair. God, he looked so y.

“I do fully expect to get laid.” Jimin said in a low voice, standing in front of me. He brushed his hand through my curls, rubbing the ends in between his fingers.

I was melting like butter at the dark look in his eyes, but I didn’t want to admit it.

“It’s been a while, you know.” He reminded me, still the strands of my hair.

I said nothing, so he gracefully climbed into bed and laid himself down on top of me.

“Haru won’t be home for hours.” Jimin whispered in my ear, thick lips brushing my earlobe. “And I’ve got a surprise for you.”

“What kind of surprise do you have?” I shifted underneath him. He smelled good, but his damp towel pressed against my tights was not a delightful sensation.

“You’ll get it later.” He murmured with a y little smile. “Just accept this surprise for now.”

“Boy, you don’t have any more surprises for me. I’ve been sleeping with you for like six years. I know your body.”

“Yeah, but you don’t know these new dance moves I learned.” He kissed my forehead, my cheeks, my eyelashes.

 

Later, after we had both showered again, Jimin plopped down next to me on the couch and handed me an envelope.

“Open it.” He encouraged quietly.

I gingerly tore it open and pulled out two tickets. In big, bold print the name JAY PARK was emblazoned across the white paper.

“What the .” I stared at the tickets in my hand. “Is this real?”

“Yup.” Jimin smirked at me. “I’m going with you to chaperone.”

“Oh, ! , , ! I’m so excited, oh my god. Oh my god, .” I couldn’t stop cursing or bouncing up and down in my seat.

“You’re welcome.” He took my arm and tugged me into his lap, smooth as hell. “Welcome to my bed, baby girl.”

“Oh my god, sing that song to me next time we have .” I groaned and leaned my head back onto my shoulder.

Jimin giggled and snuggled up close to me. “You’re really cute when you’re fangirling. I wish you would act this way over me.”

“You’re my husband, not my idol.” I kissed his cheek. “I love you for entirely different reasons than why I love Jay Park. Or Shinee, for that matter.”

“I always forget you’re a Shinee fan. Why can’t you be a BTS fan?”

“I like some of your songs. Boy in Luv will always be a favorite of mine. You looked damn hot in that.”

“I wish you liked my dancing as much as you like Jay Park’s.” Jimin continued to sulk.

I shifted in his lap so we could see eye-to-eye. “Boy, I see you dance around this apartment every day of my life. Your dancing is my favorite dancing because you are my favorite dancer. I just wanted you to try some of Jay Park’s moves because you never dance like that and I think you’d look y as hell.”

“I do, don’t I?”

“ yeah. I expect a personal show in my bedroom every night.”

Jimin laughed and kissed my nose. “You’re cute when you’re .”

“You’re cute all the time.” I whispered.

“ing cheesy.”

“ing love you.” I told him. “So much. Even more because you’re taking me to see Jay Park.”

“Yeah, just keep your on. And your wedding rings.”

“Not making any promises.”

“Girl! You better remember the promises you made to me at the altar in Italy before I call your mama.”

I laughed in his face and his kissed me, catching my teeth and chin with his lips.

 

Jimin always said my laughing kisses were his favorite kind of kisses. Said it reminded him of when we were younger and I would laugh at him for trying to impress me so hard and he'd try to shut me up by kissing me.

He said I liked to tease, but I just liked to see how much he adored me.