Welcome

Day by Day

“Well, I don’t know what you want me to do about it.” I snapped at Jimin, who stared back at me with a moody expression. “I’m on bedrest, Jimin. The gynecologist said yesterday that I’ve got to be in bed for at least five hours every day and I absolutely cannot do any heavy lifting.”

“I’m not asking you to do any heavy lifting, sasspants. I’m literally asking you to pack up your clothes. This room is a mess. It looks like your closet vomited all over the floor.” He picked up a lace push-up bra that I hadn’t worn since last summer. The lime green lace beckoned invitingly to me, but there was no way the band was fitting over my pregnancy s.

“I miss my pre-pregnancy body.” I complained. “God, Jimin, why’d you have to knock me up?”

He rolled his eyes and tossed the bra at my face. “Don’t change the subject. And you also wanted another kid, so don’t even play.”

“I have six weeks left in this pregnancy. I’m not ready.”

“Yeah, you’re not ing ready!” Jimin cried. “You’re standing there ing about your body instead of packing up your clothes so we can ing move into our new home. You wanna be homeless, girl? Huh? Get your priorities straight.”

“I’m carrying a baby in this body!” I exclaimed indignantly. “A ing baby, Jimin. And it’s coming out of my , okay? I’m allowed to be stressed.”

“You’ve already done it. What’s there to be stressed about?” He muttered under his breath as he went around scooping up clothes and shoving them into a cardboard box. “Besides, two months is a while. Just focus on the fact that we were supposed to move two weeks ago and we’re currently paying rent for two apartments. Do you think I’m made of money? Seriously, babe, just pack up these boxes for me and then go lay in bed.”

“Don’t even act like it’s all your money! I work, too! I make a substantial income! I pay half the rent for this place and the other place!”

Jimin threw a pair of socks at me. “We don’t split rent anymore, . When’s the last time you even paid a bill, huh? Besides your Victoria’s Secret bills. God, do you ever stop shopping?”

“Says the man with fifteen Supreme beanies. Fifteen, Jimin. Fifteen.”

“You said fifteen so many times it lost all meaning.” He mused. “Fifteen. Fifteen. Fifteen.”

“That’s too many ing beanies.” I argued. “And you don’t complain about the lace underwear I buy when you see me in it, so let me ing shop at Victoria’s Secret in peace.”

“You’re not gonna be allowed to shop anywhere if you don’t ing pack up all the clothes you already own.” Jimin placed the cardboard box in front of me and handed me a pile of neatly folded clothes. I didn’t fold, but Jimin could get a little obsessive about it. “Put these away.”

“You can’t stop me from shopping.” I grumbled as I placed the pile in the box. Damn, I hated packing. Hated it so much.

"Can you guys stop fighting please? You’re loud.” Jin poked his head in the door to reprimand us. “I’m trying to get Haru to sleep.”

“Wanna trade?” Jimin offered. “I’d rather put Haru to sleep than continue this useless argument with the most stubborn person in the universe.”

I’m the most stubborn person in the universe?               I am?” I placed a hand on my chest in indignation.

“You’re both ing stubborn.” Jin hissed through closed teeth. “Shut the hell up before I leave you two to pack up all your by yourselves.”

 

Jimin and I stared at him. He waited until he seemed satisfied with our silence, then stalked from the room and slammed the door.

“I think that’s the most I’ve ever heard Jin curse.” Jimin said, stunned.

“Well…he’s got a point. We are both stubborn.”

“You’re more stubborn.” He huffed as he tossed a crop top at me. “Please, I’m begging you, pick up your clothes.”

“But it’s hot and I’m tired.” I whined. “I don’t wanna, Jimin.”

“Baby, please. Please.” Jimin stepped closer to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. It proved to be a challenge, since my stomach had expanded quite a bit.

I sighed as Jimin kissed my forehead. “Kissing me isn’t gonna work.”

Jimin persisted and kissed my earlobe. “Babe, we have to move. We can’t keep putting it off. All you need to do is put your clothes in the box and then you can lay in bed to your heart’s content. Can you do that for me? Hmm? Please?”

He kissed down my neck and across my collarbones, slowly working a hickey or two into my skin. I tilted my head back and thought of reasons why I didn’t want to pack, but Jimin had distracting lips and an infuriatingly good kissing technique.

Jimin whispered a proposition in my ear. “If you pack your clothes, I’ll make it worth your while.”

I smiled as he slid a hand under my dress and toyed with the band of my underwear. “You little boy.”

“I’m your little boy.” He murmured as he kissed my neck. “What do you say, baby? Hmm?”

“Jin’s here.”

“It’s okay. You can be quiet.” Jimin slid his tongue over a hickey he’d made.

“Yeah, he’ll get suspicious if we’re too quiet. Not fighting or anything.”

“You wanna get some or not?” He laughed into my neck. “You really don’t wanna pack your clothes, hmm?”

“Yeah, I really don’t. Do it for me.” I pushed him away and flopped onto the bed. He raised an eyebrow as I made a nice little burrow for myself out of my dresses.

“You’re going to wrinkle those. You know how long it takes to steam those ing dresses? Stop buying pleated skirts; you’re not a ing Catholic schoolgirl.”

“You didn’t mind them when we were dating.” I retorted through clenched teeth.

“You were also twenty-two when we started dating.” Jimin said under his breath.

My jaw dropped in shock. “Are you calling me old?”

“I didn’t call you anything.” He snapped his gaze to mine for a moment, a mischievous look in his eye.

“You insinuated that I’m too old to wear pleated skirts.” I hissed.

“Well…you’re turning twenty-nine in a couple of weeks.” Jimin said condescendingly as he slid a skirt out from underneath me and tossed it into the box. “Seems a little inappropriate to be wearing that kind of thing at your age.”

“ you!” I shouted. “You little ! It’s not my fault you’re practically a teenager!”

Jimin ducked his head down to hide his laughter as Jin burst through the door, fuming.

“Sunshine, I swear to God, if you don’t shut the up right now, I’m gonna murder someone. And since you’re pregnant and Haru’s a child, it’s going to be Jimin and I don’t think you want that.” He panted, all red in the face. He pushed his hair back from his forehead and glared at me, which, in all honesty, I found kind of y.

Jimin’s eyes darted from Jin’s face to mine and a scowl darkened his features.

 

“You’re by Jin right now, aren’t you?” He accused in a soft voice, trying not to let Jin hear.

“What was that?” Jin perked up, suddenly cheerful and almost calm. “You think I’m y, sunshine?”

“No.” I denied, but even I could feel the blush creeping up my neck. Jimin looked livid while Jin looked surprisingly pleased. I waved a hand in front of my face, feeling flustered.

“Pack up all your ty clothes.” Jimin spat. “Old lady.”

My mouth fell open in astonishment for a second time. “My clothes are not ty! And I’m not an old lady!”

“Ehh.” Jin cocked his head and surveyed the mess of lace undergarments on the floor, coupled with the pleated skirts and tight-fitting v-neck shirts. “They’re kind of ty.”

I let out a low hiss, too infuriated for words. Jimin and Jin stifled their laughter as I pushed myself up off the bed and waddled past them in a huff. Waddling did not allow for excellent dramatic exits, but I tried my best.

As soon as I slammed the door behind me, they broke out into raucous laughter. I grumbled to myself as I ignored Haru’s whiny pleas for a bedtime story.

“Mama, read me a stoooory.” She insisted in an irritating voice. Listen, I loved my daughter, but children knew how to make the most awful, high-pitched voices to get you to do what they wanted.

“Go to sleep, Haru. It’s naptime.”

She burst into tears and I blew her a kiss and quietly shut the door to her room.

 

I stretched out on the couch and drummed my fingers across my enormous stomach. The television remote beckoned invitingly from the coffee table, where it was crowded by piles of my books and Jimin’s CDs. I knew we needed to pack, but I still had three more seasons to watch in The Mindy Project on Netflix.

I had gotten deeply involved in an episode that featured the usual romantic and between Danny and Mindy when Jimin’s angry voice broke through my television-induced rapture.

“Just tell her how you feel! You’ve been dragging it out for ing years, and I’m sick and tired of it.”

Immediately intrigued, I stealthily lowered the volume on the tv and kept a curious ear out for juicy tidbits about Jin’s love life.

I caught the tail end of Jin’s sentence as his voice grew louder in consternation. “…you of all people telling me this, Jimin! She’s in love with someone else, why would I confess? Huh? Why would I confess? It’s none of your goddamn business.”

Jimin said something that I couldn’t understand, but I definitely understood the seriousness of his low, angry tone.

Jin quickly disagreed with whatever he said. “She’s not mine and she’s never gonna be mine. I’ve got Anjali, I’m trying to move on.”

“You’ve been trying to move on! You need to just confess and get rejected. It’s the easiest way.”

I didn’t agree with Jimin’s philosophy. It felt cold and jaded to me. Rejection just wounded people. Wasn’t it better just to nurse an unrequited love until it faded?

Also, who the hell was Jin in unrequited love with?

“Why do you care so much? It’s not bothering you! I’m not doing anything to bother you, so just let me live my life!” Jin replied heatedly.

“Are you seriously that much of an idiot to suggest that you’re not doing anything to bother me?” Jimin sounded so sassy. I felt bad for Jin, but I was proud of my sweet husband for letting out his inner sass.

“We’re just friends, Jimin.” Jin’s voice dipped low, but I could still make it out.

 

Their conversation dropped and I refocused my attention on my show, rewinding to hear all the parts I missed.

“Baby!” Jimin called. “I know you’re eavesdropping. Stop watching tv and come pack.”

I grumbled under my breath and reluctantly waddled my way back into the bedroom. Jin looked flustered while Jimin just looked irritated. He sat perched on the edge of the bed, legs spread wide. He gestured for me to come near and I stood in between his thighs.

Jimin knocked his forehead against mine and scolded me in a whisper. “It’s not polite to listen to other people’s conversations.”

“You shouldn’t shout, then.” I retorted. He smiled and lazily kissed me.

Jin cleared his throat in the background. “Sunshine, are you keeping all of your ty clothes or are you going to donate some to a Catholic charity foundation? Or maybe a strip club? I think the skirts are too short for any God-fearing Catholic girl.”

“ you, Jin.” I muttered, turning to him with a scowl. Jimin’s soft, thick lips pressed against my jaw and neck. I elbowed him, but he held my arm and pulled me closer.

Jin coughed uncomfortably and began chucking my clothes into the box.

I giggled as Jimin smiled against my neck and peppered kisses all over my shoulder. “Jimin, can you stop kissing me for like a second? I’m gonna pack. I swear, I’m gonna pack.”

“Now I don’t want to let you pack.” Jimin murmured with a sneaky grin, yanking me closer and kissing my cheeks, ears, and mouth. Tiny little butterfly kisses that left me feeling unsatisfied.

“You guys have been married for a million years. Please stop canoodling in front of me.”

Jimin pressed one last kiss to my lips and then turned my body so I faced the massive pile of clothes on the floor.

“Have fun, baby.” He cooed as he pushed me towards the mountain. I groaned and tried to step back into his arms, but he gave me a firm shove on my behind and I knew that kissing was no longer an option.

 

Jimin left the room to go prepare lunch, singing Trey Songz’ “Slow Motion,” which he knew was a surefire way to make me grit my teeth in ual frustration. .

“So…are you gonna help me or what?” Jin tossed a shirt at me with a smile. “C’mon, let’s move you guys. Today. Or Jimin might murder the both of us.”

I dimpled at him. “Jin, you’re the best. We seriously do not deserve a friend like you.”

“Ah, well…” He shrugged and folded a little red polka dot dress of mine. “You guys are like family to me.”

“So, who’s your crush?” I peeked up at him from beneath my eyelashes, grinning mischievously.

Jin spluttered and took a step back as his face turned red. “Wh-What are you talking about?” He stammered. “I like Anjali.”

“Yeah, but you and Jimin were arguing about your undying love for another girl. Who is it?”

“Oh my god.” He muttered, running a hand over his face. “Sunshine, please keep your nose out of my business.”

I gasped in mock-offense. “Jin, we’ve been up in each other’s business for years. I can only demand more information. Besides, Jimin will tell me if you don’t.”

Jin looked at me levelly, a cool, determined expression in his eyes. “You think so?"

“Uh, yeah. Have you met my husband? He loves gossip.” I laughed and picked up a shirt, brushing off a speck of dust. I folded it while Jin weighed his options.

“I’m still not telling you.” He decided. “But, if Jimin does tell you, you can ask me about it and I’ll tell you about it.”

“Alright.” I agreed. “I can wait. I’ll bide my time and figure out who you’re in love with.”

“Shut up and pack your clothes.” Jin threw a pair of socks at me and I shrieked, causing Jimin to storm into the room, spatula in hand, to scold me for being too loud.

 

“So…Yoongi’s meeting us at our new place, right?” I asked Jimin one more time. He held Haru on his hip and had a very sour expression on his face. Yukon barked excitedly from the inside of my car. We were working on loading the last of the boxes, which had proven to be stressful and tiring.

“How many times do I need to tell you? Is your brain working? Are you that pregnant that you can’t remember a damn thing?” He groused at me. A long day spent packing had worn his patience thin.

I burst into tears and Jin dropped the box he was carrying to my car in shock and concern. He hurried over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders, peering into my face.

“Sunshine, are you okay?” He asked worriedly.

“She’s fine.” Jimin snapped. “She’s just pregnant. Pay her tears no mind.”

“You’re an .” I said in a strangled voice. “We’re moving and I’m sad.”

“This is the fifth time you’ve cried this morning.” He pointed out in a calmer voice. “You’re pregnant. It’s an occupational hazard.”

“That doesn’t mean you can be mean to me! I’m carrying your child!” I brushed away my tears with the back of my hand as Jin glared at Jimin.

“I know, I’m sorry, baby.” Jimin leaned in and kissed my temple. “I’m sorry, love.”

“It’s okay.” I turned and kissed his cheek. “I know, I’m super hormonal. I’m sorry.”

Jin looked a little nonplussed as he stepped away from us. “Being pregnant seems…weird.”

I laughed and wiped my last tear away. “It’s crazy. Don’t ever do it.”

“That’s not even possible.”

 

It was already night by the time we packed up everything and arrived at the new apartment. Yoongi waited for us outside of our building, his hair bright blonde against the colorful mosaic. A cigarette dangled out of his mouth and he looked really cool until Jin marred the picture by snatching it from between his lips.

“Yoongi! How many times have I told you that these things kill you? And they’ll ruin your lovely voice?” He threw the cigarette to the ground and stamped it out in an irritated huff.

“Seokjin, don’t even try to act all high and mighty with me.” Yoongi replied crabbily. “When I know you and Namjoon sometimes light up after concerts.”

“Oh my god.” Jimin giggled breathily. “Seokjin’s been exposed.”

“Jin smokes?” I demanded. “He seriously smokes?”

“Yeah, sometimes.” Jimin winked at me. Haru yawned and rested her head on his shoulder. Her curly little pigtails brushed the skin of his neck and he giggled. “That’s ticklish, baby sunshine. You like tickling Daddy?”

Haru giggled back at him, a sleepy little smile decorating her face.

Yoongi ruffled Seokjin’s hair and lazily sauntered over to us. Jimin beamed at him and reached out to pet his hair, but Yoongi dodged him. Jimin pouted and I internally squealed over how adorable he looked with his lower lip puffed out like that. Made me want to kiss him.

“Alright, lemme help you carry your in.” Yoongi flashed me a smile and took the box I carried out of my hands.

 

The five of us traipsed up the stairs to our little sunshiney apartment with the yellow door. I loved it already and couldn’t wait to make it feel like home.

 A small surprise greeted me as I walked in the door. Jungkook and Taehyung were laughing and running around my apartment. When I greeted them, they ran into the baby’s room and told me they were playing hide-and-seek. Jimin immediately put Haru on the floor and chased after them, a huge smile on his face.

High-pitched shrieks pierced my ears as Jimin scared the boys with an evil laugh. I could detect sounds of a scuffle and waddled my way down the hallway to peer into the room. Jimin lay flat on his back as Taehyung and Jungkook tickled and pinched them.

“Baby, save me!” He yelled and sharply batted away Jungkook’s hand as he reached under his shirt.

“Nah.” I stuck my tongue out as him and he flashed me the finger. I gasped in outrage. “Now I’m definitely not saving you!”

Haru appeared behind me and stuck her head between my legs, giggling. “Daddy, you look so silly!”

You look so silly, love bug!” Jimin smiled at her, which dissolved into a frown as Taehyung pinched his thigh. “TaeTae! Uncalled for!”

“Boys, stop.” Yoongi called from over my shoulder. I glanced back at him in surprise. Who knew he could walk so stealthily?

Jungkook and Taehyung immediately stopped torturing my husband, who sat up gratefully.

“God, that really took it out of me.” He panted as he pushed his hair back from his forehead. “You guys are supposed to help us unpack, not tire me out before I even do anything.”

Haru ran over and jumped into his lap. Jimin let out an “Oof,” then pretended to topple to the ground rom the force of Haru’s push.

“Oh, snugglebug, you’re just too strong for me.” He laughed into her hair. She laid on his chest and played with the pocket on his shirt.

“Daddy, I’m tired.” Haru said earnestly. “Can I sleep soon?”

Jimin pressed a hand to her forehead. “You feeling all right, Haru? I don’t think you’re my daughter. My daughter never wants to go to bed.”

“Well, it’s ten o’clock already. I’m sure she’s exhausted.” I held my arms out to her and she scampered into them.

“Mama, I wanna go sleep.” She mumbled, arms tight around my neck.

“Okay, baby. Go give Daddy a kiss.”

“I’ll put her to bed with you.” Jimin offered, jumping up. He put a hand on the small of my back and led us into Haru’s room, where he quietly shut the door behind us.

 

I tucked Haru into her bed, which was actually just a mattress on the floor. The bedframe had been a pain in the to put together and a pain in the to move, so we’d left it in the U-Haul truck we’d rented. Jimin’s members would bring it in later, as I helpfully supervised.

Haru yawned hugely and reached a hand out blindly. “I nee’ a buddy.” She mumbled into her pillow. “Nee’ a puppy buddy.”

“Here you go.” Jimin tucked a fluffy white dog stuffed animal next to her. She wrapped an arm around it and gave it a kiss.

“Where Yuton?” She demanded sleepily. “I nee’ him.”

“Oh, . We left him in the car!” I turned to Jimin in wide-eyed panic.

“No, we didn’t.” He reached out a hand and soothingly my hair, a soft smile on his face. “Jin went to go get him when I was getting tickled.”

His nose looked really cute from this angle and I wanted to kiss it, but Haru was staring at us.

“Daddy…” She grabbed his cheek in her chubby little fingers and pulled.

“Ow, Haru.” Jimin loosened her grip and kissed her fingers. “Give kisses and hugs, not boo-boos and tugs.”

I stifled a laugh. “That’s corny, Jimin.”

He rolled his eyes. “They say it at school.”

“Miss Mina tells me.” Haru informed me. “Mama, my heart’s beating.”

“Is it?” I smiled at her, then kissed her chest. “I love to hear your heart beating.”

“Me, too.” Jimin chimed in. “My favorite thing.”

“Goo’night.” Haru lisped. She turned away from us and snuggled deep into her blankets.

“Are you gonna be okay sleeping in your new room all by yourself?”

“I wan’ Yuton.” She whispered.

“We’ll send him in as soon as Uncle Jin brings him back inside.” I promised. “I love you, baby sunshine.”

“I not a baby. I’m a big girl.” She mumbled into her pillow.

“Mama’s our big sunshine, and you’re our baby sunshine.” Jimin whispered in her ear, then kissed her cheek. “Daddy loves you.”

“Love you, too.” Haru tiredly waved us away, which I found adorable and much too independent at the same time.

 

I followed Jimin out the door. He closed it with a sigh, then turned to me.

“She’s so big.” He murmured.

“I know.” I took one of his hands and kissed his palm. He pulled me into his arms and kissed me softly.

“Welcome home.” Jimin said warmly, quietly.

“Welcome home.” I echoed. I curled my fingers in his hair and pulled him in for another kiss.