Break

Day by Day

“Hey!” Jimin breezed in through the door with Haru in his arms. Snowflakes fell from his hair onto the floor, where Yukon eagerly ate them up. “We made it.”

I jumped up and brushed the two of them off, Jimin sneaking a quick kiss as I unwound his scarf from his neck. Haru sat on the floor as Yukon her all over her clothes and face, trying to eat the snow off. She giggled hysterically and he had a huge smile on his face.

“I thought you were going to get stuck out there in the snow.” I said as I took his large black overcoat and hung it up in the closet. We tossed Haru’s things outside the front door to dry off. Luckily, we had a corner apartment, so we had a little section of hallway all to ourselves. Jimin liked to keep his rainboots out there and a spare umbrella.

“Well, Haru was already making plans for us to live in an igloo. Apparently, they learned about those in school today. She made one by pasting cotton balls onto a sheet of paper.” He held up Haru’s masterpiece.

“Ooh, Haru, did you make this all by yourself?” I exclaimed. Haru nodded proudly.

“It’s an idloo.” She informed me. “Pola’ bears live in dere. And penguins.”

“Oh, I see. Should we hang it up on the fridge?”

“Uh, no.” Haru shook her head. “Pola’ bears can’t go in the fridge.”

“Silly Mama.” Jimin ruffled my hair. He brushed past me and scooped up Yukon, nuzzling his nose in Yukon’s soft white fur.

“Yeah, silly Mama.” Haru giggled. She stood and attached herself to one of my legs, shrieking with laughter as I almost stumbled.

“Ji Eun and Taehyung are coming over tonight. They should be here any minute.” I told Jimin, who was snuggling with Yukon on the couch. He nodded, lazily petting the dog.

“Baby, I really wish you would tell me about these things beforehand. Did you forget that Yoongi and Namjoon are coming over? They’re helping me work on my album.”

“, I forgot.” I hissed, clapping a hand to my cheek. “Oh, , , . Ji Eun’s gonna murder me.”

“Namjoon’s gonna murder me!” Jimin cried. “Do you know how much he’s been ing about the two of them lately? They’ve been broken up almost a year and he’s still being a little baby about it.”

“Well, he loves her.” I pointed out as I sat on the floor to complete a puzzle with Haru. “And it must be hard for him since he and Taehyung live together. It’s like they’re showing off in front of him.”

“It’s not like he can’t afford to live alone.” Jimin muttered. “He still thinks he’s going to win her back.”

 

A muffled pounding at the front door distracted us from our conversation.

“Jimin! Hurry and open this damn door, I’m freezing.” Yoongi demanded gruffly.

Jimin hopped up, startling Yukon, and hurried over to the door.

“Sorry, Yoongi.” He smiled sheepishly as he stepped aside to let Yoongi and Namjoon in. Haru looked up from her puzzle.

“Suga Suga!” She cried, hopping over to him excitedly. “Hi!”

“Aw, what a cute nickname.” Yoongi smiled and picked her up. “Goddamn, you are so cute.”

“Hi, Haru.” Namjoon waved and dimpled at her.

“Uncle Joonieeeee.” She cooed, stretching out her hands for him. He took her and placed a sweet kiss on her cheek.

“How’s my girl? You still biting people?”

Haru giggled evilly.

“Namjoon, don’t bring that up.” Jimin hissed. “We’re trying to just avoid it altogether.”

“Excellent parenting technique.” Yoongi snorted.

“Well, we’re excellent parents.” I joked. “Avoidance techniques are our specialty.”

“Suga Suga!” Haru called. She stretched out and yanked on a lock of Yoongi’s bright blond hair.

“Ouch. You’re cute, but I don’t like getting my hair pulled.” He took her into his arms and she smushed his cheeks.

 

Yoongi took her over to the living room and she showed him the puzzle we had worked on. She sat right in his lap and they started to do it together. Jimin took a picture on his phone and started typing away madly, probably uploading it to BTS’s twitter. My phone dinged and I checked it to see an Instagram update from Jimin. Of course. He’d tagged me in the photo of Yoongi and Haru.

Namjoon started talking to Jimin, who just hummed in response, not even paying attention. He was much too busy watching Haru. However, I listened to Namjoon. He was avidly telling Jimin about a new beat he had mixed for him (mixed? Was that right or had I heard wrong?) and how Hoseok had started working on some choreography.

“No, I’m doing the choreography.” Jimin suddenly snapped to attention.

“What?” Namjoon stopped mid-sentence. “I thought you talked to Hobi about this. He said you had.”

“I said I didn’t want any help on it.” He replied. “Our dancing styles are completely different and this is my solo venture, not his.”

“Whoa, whoa.” Namjoon held up his hands. “No need to get all bent out of shape about it.”

“I’m not. I just don’t want unsolicited help with dancing.” Jimin said calmly. I could tell he was annoyed.

“Well, just talk to Hoseok about it.” He clapped his hand against Jimin’s shoulder. “But I think you’ll like the song.”

“Great.” Jimin nodded. “Thanks, Joon.”

Jimin was angry. I don’t know why he was being so touchy about the issue, but he was. I wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned my head into his back. He sighed as I kissed his shoulder, but I felt him relax a little.

“Why didn’t you and Taehyung carpool?” I asked Namjoon.

He stared at me. “Is Tae coming over?”

I swallowed nervously and I felt Jimin chuckle.

“Yup. Ji Eun, too. Apparently, it’s double date night and my wonderful wife forgot to mention it to me before I invited you guys over tonight.”

“Great.” Namjoon muttered.

“It’s fine. We’ll work in the bedroom. You won’t even have to see her.” He pushed out of my grasp and grabbed Yoongi away from Haru. She pouted, but he placated her with a kiss.

 

They disappeared into the bedroom as soon as the doorbell rang. Yukon barked madly and scurried over to the door. Haru and I followed him, her giggling and asking, “Who is it?” and me yelling, “One second!”

I ushered them into our slightly overwhelming family atmosphere. After many hugs and kisses, Ji Eun and Taehyung settled themselves on the couch with a couple of glasses of wine while Haru played with Yukon. I went into the kitchen to scrounge up some dinner. I had some chili on the stove, but I just could not find the cornbread mix.

“Where’s Jimin?” Ji Eun called from the living room.

“In the bedroom with Namjoon and Yoongi.” I replied absentmindedly as I rooted through a cabinet.

“Oh.” A short silence ensued. “Isn’t it date night?”

“Yeah. I forgot to tell him.” I murmured.

“What?” She yelled back.

“I forgot to tell him!” I shouted back.

The bedroom door creaked open. “Baby?” Jimin called.

“Yeah?”

“Can you…be a little quieter, please?” He asked quite nicely.

“Shut the up!” Yoongi yelled. “We’re trying to work in here!”

“Go to the studio!” I snapped, ruffled.

“I told you to be nice.” Jimin hissed, presumably at Yoongi. “She’s pregnant. She gets mad at the smallest things.”

“What the hell!” I exclaimed. “I do not! How dare you?”

Taehyung and Ji Eun burst into laughter.

“Oh my god. I missed this.” Ji Eun sighed, wiping away a tear from laughing too hard.

“I honestly wish I had been dating you when you two were roommates.” Taehyung giggled. “I can’t even imagine the kind of shenanigans you guys got up to.”

“It was awful.” Jimin told him. “They were always ganging up on me. Even Sul. That sweetheart! They corrupted her.”

Ji Eun snorted. “Sul was never sweet. She’s just quieter than the two of us.”

Namjoon chimed in. “Ji Eun was always the sassiest. She and sunshine constantly fought because the two of them could never keep their mouths shut.”

“Um, rude.” I took offense. “This from the drama king himself.”

“I am not a drama king.” He stepped out of the bedroom and joined us in the living room.

“You are.” Ji Eun agreed. “You’ve always been dramatic.”

“This coming from the girl who throws things when she’s angry!” He cried.

Taehyung turned to her in surprise. “You do?”

“You haven’t witnessed that?” Namjoon asked. “She doesn’t throw things when you guys fight?”

He shrugged. “We don’t fight. Not…not really.”

They both looked at each other and Ji Eun nodded. “Yeah.” She agreed. “We don’t really fight. I mean, we have the occasional fight, but I’ve never thrown a book at him or anything.”

“You threw a book at Namjoon?” Tae laughed incredulously.

“Yeah.” She kissed his cheek. “And that’s why I’m with you and not him.”

Namjoon flushed angrily as Taehyung smiled and wrapped his arm around Ji Eun’s shoulder.

“Alright.” Jimin clapped his hands together. “Nam, let’s get back to work. Come on.”

 

When they left, I turned to Ji Eun.

“Do you have to be such a ?” I hissed. Haru was too immersed in her puzzle and patting Yukon to listen to a word we said.

“What?” She whined. “We’ve been broken up for sooooo long. He needs to get over it.”

Taehyung laid his head against hers. They looked up at me with innocent expressions.

“You guys are mean to him.” I frowned.

“You don’t live with him.” Taehyung pointed out. “You don’t hear him muttering angrily to himself every time we try to watch a movie together on the couch. Or, God forbid, kiss each other.”

“Yeah. It’s a terrible atmosphere of constant passive-aggression.”

They looked at each other and nodded.

“Do you guys kiss in front of him?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah.” Ji Eun admitted without shame. She squished Tae’s cheeks in her hands. “I love kissing Tae. He’s such an excellent kisser. Right, baby?”

He smiled and placed two or three kisses on . I gagged internally.

“Why don’t you guys just hang out at Ji Eun’s apartment?” I asked in disgust. “Poor Joonie. No wonder he’s miserable.”

“Tae’s apartment is nicer. And he’s got an Apple TV. Also, I moved in with him.” Ji Eun grinned at me.

My mouth dropped open in shock. “Did you?”

“Yup.” Tae answered. They kissed and I was incredibly tempted to take a sip of wine to steady my nerves.

“We’re getting married.” Ji Eun informed me nonchalantly.

“And we’re pregnant!” Taehyung cried. “Surprise!”

“You guys are ing liars.”

Ji Eun giggled. “We are. None of those things have happened.”

“So, you didn’t move in together?”

“Nah. But we’ve been talking about it.” Taehyung answered.

I left them to go finish up with dinner, a little too overwhelmed to carry on conversing with the stupid couple.

 

“I love you.” I heard Taehyung whisper to Ji Eun.

“That’s cute.” She whispered back. “You’re cute.”

I sighed internally. She didn’t love him. Ji Eun may have been a lot of things, y included, but she didn’t lie about loving someone.

 

After dinner, Ji Eun insisted on putting Haru to sleep. I cozied up next to Taehyung with a blanket and mugs of tea.

“So, you’re in love with my best friend, huh, TaeTae?”

He took a sip of his tea. “I am indeed, sunshine. She’s wonderful.”

“Yeah, she’s okay.”

“She’s not in love with me, though.” He added, almost as an afterthought.

“Yeah.” I agreed sadly, resting my head on his shoulder. “I think she wants to be.”

“I think she wants both of us.” Taehyung said softly. “I think she can’t let him go.”

I hummed, not necessarily agreeing, but letting him know I was listening.

“I hear them talking sometimes when I’m not around. I know she went into his room the night I told her I loved her. She thought I was asleep, but how could I fall asleep after I told her I loved her and she didn’t reply in kind?”

He sighed. “I know they kiss sometimes. I know she lets him hold her. I know she misses him.”

I took his hand. “She cares for you, Tae. I know she does.”

“Do you think I’m in their way, sunshine?” He asked me seriously. “Do you think she’d be with him if she wasn’t with me?”

“I think you should talk to her about this.”

“I’m afraid of losing her.” Taehyung said in a subdued voice. “I haven’t been in love in years. Not since…not since Gemma. She was in love with someone else, too.” He added wistfully.

“She loved you, Tae. I know she did.”

“Not enough.” He said bitterly, taking another sip of his tea. “No one ever loves me enough.”

 

“Baby?” Jimin opened the door of the bedroom and called out to me. “Can you come here?”

“Yeah.” I squeezed Taehyung’s hand before letting go and walking over to Jimin.

He tousled his hair. “Babe, did you see the weather report? It’s a winter storm warning.”

“Yeah, I knew that. It’s not supposed to start for another four hours.”

“It’s already started.” He took my hand and pulled me into the bedroom, yanking open the curtain to show me the snowflakes whirling around. “It’s like three inches and it’s only been an hour.”

“Oh, .” I turned to Yoongi and Namjoon. “You guys either need to leave now or stay here.”

The three of them exchanged glances.

“Baby,” Jimin began, “we have a ton of work to do. They can’t leave now.”

I shrugged. “Alright, you guys are welcome to stay. I’ll get out the futons.”

Jimin smiled in relief and wrapped his hands around my waist. “You’re the best, baby girl.” He murmured, trailing kisses along my jawline. “I love you so much.”

“Gross.” Yoongi commented.

“Oh, go yourself.” Jimin sassed, tousling my hair with a grin.

“Jimin!” I scolded. “That’s rude.”

“It’s okay, sunshine, I’m used to your husband’s foul mouth.” Yoongi waved aside my concerns with a magnanimous air.

“What about Taehyung and Ji Eun?” Namjoon asked suddenly. “Will they stay over, too?”

“Probably. They’re always up for a sleepover.” I smiled at him, but he just looked worried.

 

Taehyung and Ji Eun took the pull-out couch with Yukon snuggled up in between them. I laid on a futon on the floor near Ji Eun. The other three were still busy working in the bedroom. I fell asleep quickly, tired from the long day.

 

NAMJOON’S POV

 

“Jimin, I need to sleep.” I yawned at 3 a.m. Yoongi was already passed out in Jimin’s bed.

“Okay, go ahead.” Jimin waved me away. “There’s futons in the living room. Night.”

“Are you going to keep working?”

“Yeah.” He glanced up from the computer to look at me.

“Don’t stay up too late. You have a kid and your wife is looking pretty pregnant these days.”

“Sixteen weeks.” He yawned. “Five more months until we have another kid running around here.”

I nodded, my hand on the doorknob.

“Don’t cause trouble.” Jimin warned me sleepily. “She’s not your girlfriend anymore and she’ll never be your girlfriend again.”

“If Young Jae dated your wife, would you ever stop trying to win her back?” I asked him.

Jimin gave me a level stare. “Yeah. I would have. If I thought she really didn’t want to be with me, I would have let her go.”

 

I left him and went into the living room. Taehyung and Ji Eun slept soundly on the pull out mattress. Jimin’s wife was sleeping on the floor, but there was no other futon in sight. Had she fallen asleep before getting them out?

I could have asked Jimin where they were, but instead I crawled in bed next to Ji Eun. She shifted so her nose touched my cheek. I kissed her warm skin.

Her arms wrapped around me and I felt a brief surge of hope.

“I love you, Ji Eun.” I whispered into her hair.

“Love you, too, Tae.” She mumbled, turning her head to kiss my cheek. “Go to sleep.”

 

I pulled her closer and twined our legs together, ducking my head down to kiss her neck.

“You’re mine.” I whispered, teeth against her skin. “I’m not letting you go.”

I fell asleep with her tightly wrapped in my arms and my lips against her skin. I wasn’t playing games anymore.

If she wouldn’t break up with him, I would make him break up with her.

She wanted to be with me, right? She had to.