Playing the Name Game

Unrelenting Fortitude

“Apologize! Now!” Harii barked, pointing over at Eunhyuk as he and the others began to calm from their laughter.

Jeri instantly shuffled on her knees until she was facing the lead dancer and entered a bow so that her forehead was touching the floor. “I’m sorry you look like a fish-”

“JERI!!”

“I’m sorry I said you look like a fish!” she yelped, quickly correcting herself. “It… came out wrong… please forgive me…”

“Oppa,” Harii groaned. “Please forgive me Oppa.”

“But Oppa sounds so weird,” Jeri whined, her head still touching the waxed dance floor. “I don’t even call Jun Oppa.”

“She never calls you Oppa??” the SuJu boys gawked.

“She calls me Jerk, I call her Brat; it’s a European thing,” Jun laughed.

“Do you not have honorifics in Europe?” Leeteuk asked, sounding genuinely interested.

“No way,” Jun laughed. “We see someone remotely familiar and we just yell ‘Hey you!’.”

“It’s alright Jeri-ah, I’ve been called worse,” Eunhyuk laughed, reaching around Jun to pat her on the back of her bowed head.

Jeri slowly raised her head and gave the dancer a sheepish apologetic smile making him laugh and motion for her to sit properly.

“So, Jeri-ah speaks well but doesn’t like honourifics,” Siwon hummed. “Is it because you didn’t have any where you grew up?”

“Well, Oppa means big brother doesn’t it? I just find it weird calling people who don’t have any familial relations with me my brother,” she explained. “But Harii keeps telling me it’s rude not to-”

“Because it is!” The Korean groaned, giving her a pleading look.

“But why?” Jeri groaned back.

“I’ve told you why!”

“Hankyung-hyung should explain it, you’re a foreigner too!” Shindong laughed.

 

"In Korea, and actually a lot of other countries in Asia, you have honorifics," he began, looking over at her. “It's when you add… a word at the end of someone's name to show that they are older or… higher up on the food chain then you are."

 

Jeri nodded slowly, letting his words sink in.

 

"Well, it's a little rude not to use them, and since we've met you, you haven't used any, and not just with us, but with any of your bandmates either.” he finished.

 

"So," Hangeng continued, making her turn to him. ""Because all of us are older than you, you would call all of us Oppa. So you'd address me as Hangeng-Oppa, er I mean… Hankyung-Oppa."

“Wait. Hangeng or Hankyung, which one do I call you?” Jeri asked with a laugh, clearly confused now.

“I’m from China so my name is Hangeng, but in Korea it’s pronounced Hankyung,” he explained with a small smile.

“Han… Han... geng,” she attempted to pronounce.

The Chinaman nodded.

“Hey Brat, don’t try to change the subject,” Jun scoffed. “Hangeng Oppa.”

"But I don't want to be their younger sister," Jeri whined.

 

The guys burst out laughing as Jun rolled his eyes while a few of the SuJu guys sighed, rubbing their foreheads.

 

"Now you know what I had to deal with for the past year and a half," Harii laughed, feeling their pain.

 

"The newbie had a question~!" Jeri sang, raising her hand.

 

"Yes newbie?" Setiawan joked.

 

"So what would Hangeng call you?" she asked, looking at the blond.

 

"I don't know, how old are you?" Setiawan asked the man.

 

"22," Hangeng replied.

 

"Oooohhhhh, they're the same age…" Harii oohhed, looking back and forth from them.

 

"Month?" Hangeng asked.

 

"October," Setiawan replied.

 

"Ah, February," he replied, motioning to himself.

 

"So… Setiawan's younger, so does he call you Oppa too?" Jeri asked.

 

The guys burst out in laughter and Hangeng nearly fell over her was laughing so hard.

 

After he managed to calm down, he waved his hands in denial.

 

"No, only girls call older guys Oppa. Since Setiawan's a guy, he'd call me Hyung," he explained.

 

"Or Sunbaenim because you've been in the industry longer than I have," Setiawan added.

 

Hangeng nodded and Jeri was looking down at the floor utterly confused.

 

"She's lost," Sungmin laughed, seeing the girl's face.

 

The guys laughed and Jun patted his sister on the back.

 

"I don't like Korea anymore!" she cried, holding her head dramatically and falling back.

 

"Think of it as showing respect to your elders," Leeteuk claimed.

 

"But respecting it’s still just so weird!" Jeri whined.

 

"Respecting your elders is custom, so stop whining and practise," Heechul growled.

 

"Heechul," Leeteuk warned, not liking his tone to the teen.

 

"Wait, did you just call him Itchy?" Jeri asked, looking up from her spot on the floor and giving them a baffled look.

 

"Get the peanut butter out of your ears!" Jun barked as the others burst out laughing.

 

"Wait! Nicknames don't need honorthingies! Muahahahaha, I found a loophole!!" Jeri cackled rolling around on the floor.

 

"Oh boy…" Setiawan sighed.

 

"From now on, you are Itchy!" she announced, pointing to Heechul.

 

The others continued to laugh and Heechul glared at her. She made a small heart with her hands and Heechul crossed his arms stubbornly.

 

"Nawww, c'mon Itchy, don't be mad~" she booed, giving him a pout.

 

"Call me Oppa," he said simply.

 

"But I already have too many brothers~" she whined.

 

"Oi!" Jun barked, glaring over at her.

“Sorry to burst your bubble Jeri, but even nicknames would need honorifics added to the end of them,” Setiawan chuckled. “If you insisted on calling Heechul-hyung… Itchy, then you’d still have to add Oppa to the end; Itchy-Oppa.”

Jeri’s grin quickly fell into a pout as there was a knock on the practise room door, both Leeteuk and Setiawan standing to no doubt fetch the pizza that was waiting for them.

“It something that you have to practise,” Donghae claimed, continuing their topic from before. “You may be able to get away with it for a little while because you’re a foreigner, but if you don’t use honorifics with someone important you could get into a lot of trouble for it.”

Harii wordlessly motioned towards Donghae while giving Jeri a glare. “See? It’s not just me saying that!”

Jeri pouted and blew a raspberry causing a few of the others to chuckle.

“Late lunch is served~!” Leeteuk cheered, carrying half of the pizza boxes over to the large circle, Setiawan carrying the other half.

Everyone cheered and instantly dug into the food, thanking the two leaders for paying. The room became silent save for the sounds of chewing and the occasional slurps from nearby drinks.

“Alright, I’ve thought of a compromise,” Harii suddenly spoke after swallowing his pizza. “Using the typical honorifics like Oppa or Unnie might take some getting used to, so while you’re adjusting to them, add -ssi to the ends of names instead. It’s not as formal so don’t use with with people like Sooman-Hyung or other CEOs or MCs, but it’ll stop the majority of people from throwing you over their knee.”

Jeri suddenly began to choke on her pizza, Jun laughing and thumping her on the back until her airway cleared.

“If I don’t use honorifics someone’s going to spank me?” she laughed, giving the Korean an incredulous look. “Isn’t that a bit naughty depending on the person?”

“JERI!!”

While Harii gave the girl a scolding look all of the other guys started howling, Jeri simply giving Harii a cheeky grin.

“Well Jeri-ah, I think I speak for everyone when I say we look forward to seeing what your future holds,” Leeteuk laughed, continuing to eat his pizza.

“Setiawan-Hyung is a foreigner too right?” Ryeowook suddenly asked, changing the topic. “I’m sorry, Sooman-Hyung told us your heritage but I can’t remember…”

“I’m half Russian half Indonesian; I take after my mother, as do my sisters,” Setiawan explained with a hum.

“Is your mother this tall as well?” Yesung asked with a laugh.

“Not in the least,” Setiawan laughed. “She’s barely 152cms. The three of us got our height from our father. He actually used to be taller than me before he started shrinking.”

“Three of us?” Hangeng asked, having caught that part.

Setiawan nodded. “I have two older sisters, both of them, or at least last time I saw them, came up to here on me,” he explained, pointing to his eyebrow.

“Your sisters are even taller than me??” Jun asked with a disbelieving laugh. “What kind of water does Russia have??”

The group let out a loud round of laughter as Setiawan took a piece of pepperoni from his pizza and threw it at the younger men, Jun skillfully dodging to that it missed him and stuck to Eunhyuk’s cheek, the laughter only getting louder.

“Aw Hyung~ You shouldn’t have~!” Eunhyuk laughed, taking the pepperoni off of his cheek and eating it with a grin.

“You’re so smiley,” Jeri laughed, having watched the exchange from her brother’s other side. Her eyes suddenly widened and she grinned, pointing over at the older dancer. “I dub thee, Smiles!”

The others let out a loud round of laughter as Eunhyuk’s smile only grew.

“Oh God what have we done?” Harii groaned, hanging his head in his hands.

“I don’t mind Harii-ssi,” the dancer laughed. “It’s better than calling me a fish.”

The laughter only got louder as Jeri’s head was the one to hang this time, rubbing her palms together to silently ask for forgiveness once again.

“So Setiawan-Hyung, Jun-ssi and Jeri-ssi are all foreigners, how have you been liking Korea so far?” Kibum asked, finished his last piece of pizza.

“Yeah, has everyone been treating you well?” Yesung added.

“We had a few run ins when we all first got here I think,” Jun laughed, giving Setiawan a knowing look.

“Please don’t tell them the story,” the blond groaned.

“I think it’s a hilarious story,” Jun laughed, sipping on his water.

“What story?” the SuJu boys chorused, looking interested.

“Well, Jeri and I are only half siblings, we share our Japanese father. My mother was actually German, and because of it my first language is actually German rather than English,” Jun began. “Well one day while we were trainees I just started singing a German song and one of the trainers chastised me for it. ‘You're going to be a member of a band that is hosted out of South Korea, therefore you shouldn't sing in anything other than Korean," Jun repeated.

“That’s a little harsh…” Donghae huffed.

 

"You should've told him off!" Jeri snapped, planting her fists on her hips and looking up at him.

 

"I did," Jun claimed, a smirk growing on his face. "In German."

 

The room erupted into laughter as Setiawan sighed, giving the younger man a stern look.

 

"You abusing the fact that you're multilingual is most likely the reason he gave you such a hard time," the blond stated, crossing his own arms.

 

"Oh yeah! What if you were in there singing in Russian and someone told you to stop because they can't understand what you're saying," Jun barked, pointing at him.

 

"I'd call him a moron," the older man instantly replied. A smirk of his own grew onto his face and he chuckled. "In Russian."

 

The laughter in the room only grew as Harii patted their leader on the shoulder with a laugh of his own.

“So how many languages can you guys speak?” Ryeowook asked, seeming genuinely curious.

“I speak German, English, Irish, Japanese and now Korean fluently,” Jun claimed, raising his hand in the air.

“Same for me, except for the German part,” Jeri agreed, raising her hand as well. “I speak English, Irish, Japanese and Korean now.”

“I speak Russian, Indonesian, Korean and basic English,” Setiawan claimed.

All eyes turned to Harii as his cheeks gained a little bit of colour. “Korean.”

“That’s it?” Donghae laughed.

“I’m sorry I’ve never been out of the country OK? I never learned these funky languages!” Harii pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. “Besides, we’re basically set with these two absorbing languages so fast,” he added, nodding his head towards Jun and Jeri.

“Well, you’re set with Jun at least,” Heechul snickered.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jeri barked, giving him a glare.

“Call us Oppa.”

Jeri simply pouted and blew a raspberry making a handful of the others chuckle while others rolled their eyes at her stubbornness.


“How about I just think of nicknames instead?” Jeri laughed.

“Only if you add -ssi to the end of them,” Harii scolded.

“I’ll think about it,” Jeri deadpanned.

A few of the others snickered while Harii groaned.

“You’re not seriously going to call me Itchy are you?” Heechul scoffed.

“....maybe…”

Heechul sent her a glare while a few of the others laughed.

“Find a nickname for Sungminnie!” Leeteuk laughed

 

"Wait, did you just call him… Sungminnie?" Jeri asked, a pondering look growing on her face.

 

"Yeah, almost everyone calls him that," Kibum claimed with a smirk.

 

Jeri gained a grin of her own and rolled her hands together. "I've found his nickname."

“Why do I have a feeling it’s going to be really corny?” Jun laughed.

A few of the others joined him as Jeri glared up at her brother, swatting at his shoulder.

“I dub thee, Mickey!” Jeri cheered, pointing over at Sungmin.

“Mickey?” The others questioned.

 

"DBSK already has a Micky…" Siwon added with a laugh.

 

"Why am I Mickey??" Sungmin asked, giving the girl a confused look.

 

"Well, Kibum said that everyone calls you Sungminnie, and the "husband" to Minnie is Mickey," she explained with a grin.

 

"Are you calling me a mouse?" Sungmin whined, giving her a pout.

 

"He does have a somewhat squeaky voice…" Shindong laughed.

 

The others joined him and Sungmin continued to pout, crossing his arms across his chest.

 

"So what? You're basing your nicknames off of ones we already have?" Kangin asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Not necessarily, it might have something to do with you personally…" she explained.

 

"So we have Itchy, Smiles and Mickey, I'm not sure if I'm excited or scared about getting a nickname…" Kangin claimed with a smirk. “You have to give me a manly nickname Jeri-ah!” he finished, raising and flexing his arms for her to see.

 

Jeri turned to him and gave him a grin, making his smirk drop.

 

"Ohh, you can see the mechanics working in her brain," Leeteuk laughed.

 

"Yeah, there's even steam coming out of her ears," Donghae added.

 

Jeri stuck her tongue out at them and placed her thumb against her lower lip in thought, assessing Kangin for a suitable nickname.

 

"Well with arms and a general build like that, you’re almost built like a German war-" Jeri suddenly stopped and grinned. "I dub thee; Tank!"

 

"Huh?!"

 

The others burst out laughing as Kangin gave the girl a baffled look.

 

"What? Look at those muscles! You're built like a German war tank!" she claimed, motioning towards him. “Besides, Jun says nicknames aren't manly so consider yourself lucky.”

 

Kangin unconsciously massaged his arms. "Well, it's better than calling me fat…"


The group let out another round of laughter as Jeri rolled her eyes but smiled.

She liked these Korean singer; they were funny.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here;s the double update I promised you guys! I work the next two days and then I'm going out of town with family, so I won't be able to update, but hopefully sometime next week I'll be able to post the next chapter~ :)

Thanks for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~! Also guys, I'm not sure if you've seen it or not, but be sure to give me feedback on what I posted for the first "chapter", if you guys aren't interested then tell me and I won't do it, but I don't know how to interpret silence XD

 


Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson and iheartbts for upvoting~!