Trouble in the Sandcastle Kingdom

Unrelenting Fortitude

"We should go out and do something; it's so nice out today," Yesung claimed looking out the window.

 

"We should go to the beach!" Eunhyuk cheered, from his place on the couch.

 

"And get mauled by fans?" Jeri laughed raising an eyebrow.

 

"We won't get mauled! We can go incognito," Kyuhyun grinned.

 

"And what counts as incognito? Going shirtless?" Jeri said, giving the boys a look.

 

The five gained thinking expressions making Jeri roll her eyes and chuckle.

 

"Well we'll figure that out when we get there! C'mon Jeri!" Donghae chirped, jumping to his feet and dragging the girl behind him.

 

"YA! A, I'm not going to the beach! B, Even if I wanted to, I don't have a bathing suit!" Jeri yelped, trying to get out of the man's hold.

 

"Oh come on Jeri, it'll be like a family outing~!" Sungmin booed, shaking her shoulders slightly.

 

Jeri gave him an unimpressed look, then caught the pleading faces of the other four. The girl groaned and hung her head, the five cheering, knowing they had won.

 

"Now, on our way to the beach we'll stop by your dorm and get your bathing suit."

 

Jeri simply muttered under her breath as Donghae continued to lead her out of the dorm.

 

"Don't you need to pack for the beach…?" Jeri sighed.

 

Donghae froze and the others laughed. Jeri sat back down onto the couch and waited for the five to change and pack. Once they were done, the six moved out of the building, jumping into Eunhyuk’s car and drove over to the building that Tambourine lived in.

 

"You guys don't have to follow me up you know," Jeri laughed, looking back at the five boys following her up the stairs.

 

"You only live on the fourth floor, it's not as bad as ours," Yesung laughed, continuing to climb.

 

Jeri rolled her eyes and continued up the stairs.

 

Soon the troupe stood in front of Tambourine's dorm, Jeri fumbling with the keys for the door. Opening it, they piled in, Jeri retreating to her room as the boys wandered around.

 

"The hyungs aren't here?" Kyuhyun called, looking around for the older men.

 

"They have schedules today," Jeri called back.

 

They nodded and Sungmin found himself walking over to one of the walls with pictures hanging from it. The majority of them were the four members posing and/or smiling at that camera, but a couple were single or duo pictures. One picture was of Jun and Jeri sitting, Jun behind his sister and attempting to brush some hair out of her face while she smiled.

 

"Alright let's get this over with," Jeri sighed, coming out from her room.

 

"Ya! That's not a bathing suit!" Eunhyuk barked, pointing to her sweater.

 

"You get this or you get nothing," Jeri huffed, crossing her arms over her pale yellow sweater.

 

"I don't think they'll let you go in nothing…"

 

The boys burst out laughing as Jeri's face went red and threw a couch cushion at Kyuhyun.

 

"Alright I guess this'll have to do, so let's gooo~!” Eunhyuk sang, leading the girl out of her dorm by the shoulders.

 

"Ya Pabo! I have to lock the door!"

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

"Ah~~ the beach~!" Eunhyuk sighed, stretching his arms above his head.

 

"Joyous emotions abound," Jeri muttered, shoving her hands in her pockets.

 

"Stop being such a sourpuss!" Kyuhyun laughed, patting the girl on the shoulder.

 

Jeri rolled her eyes as the two along with Yesung and Sungmin raced down the beach to the water. Jeri turned and noticed Donghae holding the beach umbrella with a smile. She smiled back at him and got some towels and walked with him along the sand.

 

The two set up a little area with towels and the umbrella and Jeri sat down.

 

"You're not going to go swimming?" Donghae asked, giving her a confused look.

 

"Nah, I'll man the fort," Jeri laughed. "Go ahead and splash the others, I don't mind."

 

At her shooing him away, Donghae nodded and made his way to the water.

 

Jeri shuffled under the umbrella and kicked at the sand. The beach wasn't really her forte, her being more than 10 meters away from the water still made her nervous. She pushed her feet under the sand and watched the tiny crabs scuttle across the sand. Her eyes slowly slid closed and she listened to the sound of the boys acting like toddlers in the water.

 

Jeri nearly jumped out of her skin when a bucket was placed on her head. She swung around to see Donghae had come out from the water and was holding a small pail with a couple shovels.

 

"Sandcastle?" he asked with a shy smile.

 

"Aww, Nemooo~" she cooed, patting the spot beside her. "I thought you'd never ask."

 

Donghae laughed and sat down beside her and handed her a shovel while she took the bucket off of her head.

 

They began packing sand into the buckets and putting them in the sand. Donghae slowly lifted his and it instantly fell apart making him pout and Jeri laugh.

 

"You have to add a little bit of water so that the sand sticks together," she laughed.

 

Donghae nodded and jogged over to the water, filling his bucket, then carefully ran back. He added sand to his bucket then flipped it over onto the sand. Before he could lift it, Jeri put her hands over his and pushed around the bucket.

 

"You have to try and help it stick together. Give it a squeeze and pat and it should stay," she explained, patting his bucket.

 

Donghae nodded and mimicked her, patting the bucket to help the sand stick. After a couple seconds, Jeri gave him a nod and he slowly lifted it, showing his new sandcastle. Donghae grinned as Jeri clapped with a smile.

 

"Huzzah! Part one of our beautiful castle is done!" she cheered, doing the same thing with her bucket, having stolen some of Donghae's water.

 

She lifted her bucket and although a corner crumbled away, the small castle stayed standing.

 

"How big are we making our kingdom?" Jeri asked, handing Donghae her bucket when he offered to take it.

 

The man left and came back, sitting in the sand in front of the girl. "Let's make it really big!" he cheered.

 

Jeri nodded and began scooping sand into her bucket, smiling when a memory came back to her.

 

"Jun and I went to a beach when we were little. He had this… toy crane that you could sit on and we dug a hole so big and deep that we got stuck in it for nearly half an hour," she recalled with a laugh. "We tried everything we could think of to get out but the top of the hole was almost 2 feet above our heads."

 

"How did you get out?" Donghae asked, finding the storytelling moment a little humorous.

 

"Jun actually got me on his shoulders and basically threw me out of the hole so I could go get our dad," Jeri laughed.

 

Donghae smiled and watched as she lifted her bucket to reveal another sandcastle. He followed her example and lifted his bucket, but accidentally bumped it making a large fraction of it collapse.

 

Jeri snickered as Donghae pouted. He looked up at her to see she was using her pinky finger to engrave the side of her castle, her tongue sticking out the side of in concentration.

 

"So why don't you want to swim?" he asked.

 

Jeri froze and her face fell slightly.

 

"I don't want to talk about it," she replied darkly.

 

Donghae shivered despite the sun beating down on his back, never having heard Jeri speak like that before.

 

The two were interrupted when Jeri was suddenly lifted from the sand and over someone's shoulder.

 

"Ya! Yesung!" Jeri laughed, pounding on his back. "Put me back down Squeaky!"

 

"Just for that you're going for a swim!" Yesung laughed, dashing over to the water.

 

Jeri's eyes shot wide and she began thrashing around on his shoulder and pounding on his back.

 

"No! Yesung! Yesung don't!! YESUNG PUT ME-"

 

Jeri was cut off when he threw her into the water. Her body involuntarily seized up and her lungs closed, feeling like her heart had stopped. Images and screams flashed through her head and she began to flail her arms, feeling like they were made of lead.

 

After what felt like hours, a pair of arms were secured around her waist and pulled her up to the surface. As soon as her head broke out of the water, she began flailing around and screaming, trying to get away from whoever was holding her.

 

"Jeri! Jeri calm down it's me!" Kyuhyun cried, trying to evade her waving hands and legs.

 

"NO! NO LET ME GO PLEASE!! I'M SORRY!!" she wailed, tears streaming down her face.

 

With help from Sungmin and Eunhyuk, Jeri was brought to the shore. As soon as their grip on her slacked, she pushed away from them and ran from the water.

 

"JERI!" Donghae called, extremely worried.

 

The five dashed after her but lost her in a crowd of girls that had been watching the group. When they tried to push through, they ended up getting surrounded by the screaming fans. Kyuhyun managed to squeeze his way through the mass and dashed further down the beach.

 

A couple minutes later, he saw a figure huddled in a small alcove between two beach houses. Slowly walking towards them, he instantly recognized the back of the yellow jacket which surrounded a shivering teen.

 

"Jeri," he sighed, relieved to have found her. He walked towards her and knelt at her back, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

 

Jeri let out a terrified scream and shot away from him, covering her head with her arms and shaking.

 

"Jeri! Jeri! It's alright! It's just me! It's Kyuhyun!" he hastened, trying to comfort her.

 

When he touched her again she flinched but didn't move away. As if on instinct, he reached forward and wrapped his arms around the girl's shoulders, pulling her back into his chest, his legs resting on either side of her.

 

"Shhhhhh. Shhhhhh, it's alright," he cooed, petting her hair as she sobbed into his chest.

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

"YOU THREW HER INTO THE WATER!?!?!" Jun roared.

 

"I didn't think she'd have a panic attack!" Yesung cried, trying to defend himself.

 

"YOU IDIOT!! YOU'RE LUCKY SHE DIDN'T GO CATATONIC!! SHE HAS AQUAPHOBIA YOU MORON!!!" Jun roared again, his face burning in pure rage.

 

Despite the lack of honorifics, Yesung flinched at the younger man's harsh words and gaze, training his eyes on the ground of the beach's parking lot.

 

"And you guys!! What the hell were you thinking!?! She was flailing in the water!! YOU THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY??!!" the brunette continued, turning his anger towards Eunhyuk, Donghae and Sungmin.

 

The three didn't speak, following Yesung's example and lowering their eyes to the ground.

 

Jun huffed and walked around them to the van that held a still shaking Jeri and Kyuhyun still trying to comfort her. As soon as Jeri saw her brother, her eyes began to water again.

 

"Juunie~!" she sobbed, reaching out for him like a toddler.


The older man quickly took the teen from the van and allowed her to latch onto him. He gave Kyuhyun a firm look, but a grateful nod nonetheless, Kyuhyun returning the gesture slowly. Jun ce again and lead Jeri over to his car, helping her into the passenger seat then getting in himself and driving away.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This chapter's a little shorter than my usual but I wanted to try to get it out on time for you guys~

Thank you for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~!

Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson, iheartbts, FixRate, DolphinWorld and Arashi93 for upvoting~!