Snow Place Better

Unrelenting Fortitude

Jeri continued to absentmindedly out the window, watching the snowflakes fall from the sky and coat the ground in white. Setiawan had left earlier that morning to appear on Happy Together, thus leaving Jeri and Jun asleep and with nothing to do for the day. Nyua had even asked them to try and stay out of trouble, more than likely being code for stay put in Jeri’s opinion. And thus, here she sat, pouting like a forlorn puppy who wanted to go play in the snow.

The sound of a door clicking open down the hall caught her ear, turning her head slightly to just catch sight of her brother’s shape shuffle from their room into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

“JUN!” she called out with a whine.

“I’m a little busy brat gimme a second!”

Giving another pout, Jeri waited until the sound of a toilet flushing met her ears and a few moments later her brother emerged from the bathroom.

“You’re so needy, what?” Jun grumbled, rubbing his the heel of his hand over his eyes while sleepily glaring at her.

“I’m bored!” Jeri whined.

Jun simply rolled his eyes and went back into the bathroom, closing the door with some force behind him making Jeri scowl. Standing up and walking over to the bathroom door, she sat down in front of it before swinging around and lying on her back with her feet propped  against it.

“Juuuuuuuuuuuuunn! I’m bored let’s go do something!” she whined, kicking her feet against the door.

“Go do something yourself!” Jun barked back over the sound of the shower turning on.

“But it’s no fun to do things by yourself!” Jeri replied.

“Then call one of the guys from Super Junior, I’m sure Kyuhyun would love to humor you!”

“What are you implying? You don’t want to spend time with your precious little sister!?” Jeri barked, giving a firm kick to the door.

“I spend enough time with you every day, when I have free time off I plan on doing my own things!”

“So what, youre just gonna hole yourself up in our room and ignore me?” Jeri scoffed, crosing her arms over her torso.

“That’s the plan.”

“But Juuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn!!”

“OH MY GOD FINE!!”

Jeri gave a triumphant grin as the shower turned off and the telltale muttered curses of her brother could be heard on the other side of the bathroom door. Quickly standing up from the floor, she made it to her feet just as Jun swung the door open, a towel thrown over his head and a pair of sweatpants hanging off of his hipbones.

 

“You owe me one, check?” he growled, walking back towards their room while toweling off his hair.

“I love you~~” Jeri sang.

All she received was a dissatisfied grunt as their bedroom door closed.

“Juunie! Juuuuuuunnnniiiiieeeee!” Jeri called out, pounding her fist on the door. “Dress warm ok? We’re gonna go play in the snow!”

“You and the damned snow!!” Jun yelled, a mix of laughter and teasing in his tone.

Jeri pouted for a moment before dashing out of the hall and towards the kitchen, knowing that her brother wouldn’t be going anywhere until he’s had his morning coffee. While it brewed, Jeri dug out their coats, hats, mitts and boots, placing them all together in the foyer so that they could grab them and go.

A few minutes later, Jun’s coffee was done and said man came out of their room wearing cozy clothing and looking mildly awake. Jeri handed him his coffee without a word, sipping on her own orange juice allowing the dorm to be encompassed in silence.

When Jeri was done her orange juice, she openly stared at her brother until the man gave an aggravated sigh and placed his mug on the table with a thud.

“Fine fine, let’s go…”

Jeri gave an excited chirp and dashed out of her seat to go put her winterwear on, Jun following behind her with a roll of his eyes after placing their cups in the sink.

When both siblings were dressed, they made their way out of the apartment building and over to a nearby park. A few others were in the parking walking along the path and a few children were playing in the snow, Jeri quickly dragging Jun off to one corner of the park before all but diving into the undisturbed white flakes on the ground.

As Jeri rolled around in the snow like a toddler Jun pulled his phone out of his pocket and began typing, his sister catching this and pausing for a moment.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Just telling Nyua where we are; she technically told us to stay put and we’re outside rolling around in the snow so we’re bad children,” he replied, a small smirk stretched across his lips.

Jeri managed to roll her eyes before Jun stuffed his phone back into his jacket pocket and all but tackled his sister into the snow, Jeri giving a squeal as they rolled around, both siblings trying to pelt each other with the snow.

“I CHALLENGE THEE!” Jeri called out with a laugh.

“If it’s a dance battle I decline,” Jun snorted, trapping his sister in a headlock with a handful of snow paused by his shoulder.

“Not a dance battle, a snow battle!” Jeri laughed. “Snowball fight me brotha!”

“Oh, you’re so on!” Jun laughed, releasing his sister and dropping the snow in his hands. “Usual rulings?”

Jeri nodded and at a countdown of three, the siblings dashed in opposite directions and quickly found cover while trying to build a barracks.

“The snow over here !” Jun’s voice called out in aggravation.

Jeri simply laughed as she continued to make her small wall before quickly beginning to pack a round of snowballs.

A wad of snow suddenly slammed into the tree she was hiding behind causing her to squeak. “I thought you had crappy snow!” she barked out.

“I lied!”

Jeri quickly peeked around her tree and wall to see her brother hastily packing more snowballs, the girl taking aim and throwing her own snowball and managing to hit him on the back making him yell and her to laugh in triumph before quickly hiding again. Just as Jeri began to peek out from behind her cover, her tree was pelted with snowballs.

Damnit Jun how many do you have!?” she laughed, more and more snowballs hitting the other side of her cover.

“”I have an endless amount of projectiles! You’ll never out snowball m-WHAT THE HELL LAU!”

Jeri’s eyebrow rose and she poked her head around the tree in time to see Jun dancing around with his hands up the back of his shirt and Henry running towards her while laughing.

“I will protect my Clover at all costs!” he called out with a laugh.

“My heroic Pancake~!” Jeri cooed, opening her arms for him to dash over and give her a hug before hiding with her.

“DAMNIT HYUKJAE HELP ME OUT HERE!!” Jun squawked.

Jeri laughed as Eunhyuk walked over to her brother and helped him get the snow out from under the back of his shirt, Donghae standing a few feet away with a cup of coffee in each hand.

When the snow was out from under his shirt, Jun immediately swung around and darted over to Henry and Jeri’s hiding place, the girl releasing a squeal of laughter as Henry flew to his feet and out of the small fort, Jun hot on his tail barking profanities at him. Jeri stood from her hiding place as Eunhyuk and Donghae walked over beside her, the trio laughing as Jun finally managed to tackle the younger man into the snow and began to pelt him with handfuls of snow.

“What are you guys doing here anyways?” Jeri asked, looking up at the two.

“The three of us don’t have schedules today,” Donghae replied, sipping his coffee.

“Donghae and I were just gonna run out for a bit and Henry decided to tag along,” Eunhyuk added. “I bet he’s regretting it now~”

Jeri simply laughed and turned back to see Jun was finally making his way back towards them, Henry only just standing from the ground while trying to shake the snow out from his hair and shirt. The girl also noticed the look her older brother was giving the two men standing beside her and nonchalantly stepped to the side… just in time for Jun to football tackle Eunhyuk to the ground who dragged poor Donghae with him due to how close they were standing.

As the three older men rolled around in the snow yelling mild profanities at each other, Henry walked over to stand beside Jeri, gloved hands stuffed into his pockets and she turned her head to look at him.

“Pancake, will you build a snowman with me?”

“T’would be a great honour~” Henry hummed, giving Jeri an extravagant bow before offering his elbow.

In the course of around two hours, the quintet managed to make three snowmen that Jun insisted would be named Larry, Curly and Moe, a malformed igloo that Henry had dubbed Enrique Igloosias and managed to create half decent snow angles that made a cute little circle with their heads. By the time they all agreed to head back into warmer climates, even Jun and Jeri, who were renowned for being immune to cold weather, had shivering bodies and chattering teeth.

“I’m freezing!” Eunhyuk claimed, he and Donghae huddling together as they made their way towards the front doors.

Jeri laughed as her brother reached over and rubbed the older man’s cheeks with his cold fingers, Eunhyuk growling and swatting his hand away. Rubbing her own cold hands together and breathing on them, Jeri followed them all towards the elevator but turned towards the stairs.

“You guys know where our dorm is right?” Jun suddenly asked.

“Yeah why?” Ryeowook asked, sounding confused.

“It’s fine Jun, you guys take the elevator,” Jeri called out, knowing what her brother was leading to.

“I hate you climbing the stairs alone…”

“I can walk with her,” Henry offered, already walking towards his friend.

Jeri grinned up at him and stuck her tongue out at Jun when she caught him giving Henry the stinkeye. Before anyone else could speak, Jeri grabbed her fellow maknae’s hand and opened the door to the stairwell, leading Henry up the stairs towards their level.

“I always feel bad whenever we get to a tall building and you have to take the stairs,” Henry began, quickly matching his steps with hers so they were walking side by side. “What are you gonna do when the day comes you’re on like… the twenty fifth floor or something?”

“Then I will climb those twentyfive flights of stairs, all the while cursing my luck and then move on,” Jeri replied with a laugh. “C’mon Pancake what am I supposed to do? Get bit by a radioactive spider and climb the outside wall?”

Henry stopped walking causing their linked hands to halt Jeri a step above him, the girl turning to give him an inquisitive look.

“I know… Hankyung-hyung knows…” he paused when Jeri didn’t move or speak. “I just… I just wish I could…”

“Awwww, look at my sweet Pancake, worrying over me~” Jeri sang, swinging their connected hands while grinning at him. “You don’t have to, I’m fine-”

“Does it have something to do with your mom?”

Jeri froze and her eyes widened marginally. “Wh… what?”

“The times we’ve asked about your home life… you and Jun always speak highly of your dad… but the times the guys have asked about your mom… you just… go silent…” Henry began. “I don’t want to open old wounds or anything Jer… I’m… I just want to help…”

Jeri had by then lowered her eyes to the ground and off to the side, avoiding eye contact, Henry noticing this and stepping up so that his eyes would be level with her and used his unoccupied hand to gently turn her head towards him, her eyes meeting hers. Seeing the worry and kindness in his eyes, Jeri slowly smiled and squeezed his hand.

“Promise you won’t tell?”

“Cross my heart.”

-=-

Jeri punched in the code for the dorm and pushed it open, her and Henry’s ears instantly being hit by boisterous laughter and some mild arguing.

“Hyuk god damnit that’s my mug!” Jun’s voice barked out.

“But Junnie it’s so cute, are you sure it isn’t Jeri’s?” Eunhyuk laughed.

“If it’s green with a pink kitten on it then it’s Jun’s,” Jeri called out as she slipped her shoes off.

The dorm was instantly filled with laughter, Jun’s drowned out protests of “It was a gift!” being mixed in as the two youngest finally walked into the living room.

“Awww, now I understand why Zhou Mi wants you two to date; you’re so cute looking together~” Donghae cooed, instantly catching sight of their connected hands.

“NO DATING UNTIL YOU’RE THIRTY!!” Jun roared from the kitchen.

“Jeez, yes dad,” Jeri scowled making the boys laugh.

“Jeri-ah! Come snuggle with us!” Eunhyuk called, quickly dashing over to the sofa beside his friend and extending his arms towards her.

“Aww, but I’m supposed to snuggle with my undercover boyfriend,” Jeri pouted, displaying her and Henry’s clasped hands causing him and the others to laugh and Eunhyuk to pout.

Before her brother could enter another rampage, Jeri led Henry over to the loveseat and sat down, Henry releasing her hand only long enough to shed his winter jacket before sitting beside her and taking her hand again.

Jun came out of the kitchen a few minutes after they all began with idle chatter, a tray of steaming mugs of hot chocolate and a bag of marshmallows on his hands, handing the mugs out while giving Henry a dirty look, which the duo ignored.

“Here brat,” Jun hummed, offering his sister her usual mug filled with the steaming drink and another for Henry.

“Mmmmmm, nothing like some hot cocoa after a good snow day,” Donghae hummed.

As everyone participated in more conversation, Jun found his eyes constantly drifting towards the duo off to his side. When they had walked in he hadn’t missed the way Henry seemed to stand closer to his sister, nor the looks he would cast in her direction. What baffled him was the fact that they weren’t looks off adoration like the two were constantly teased with… no… Henry was giving her the same look Harii and Setiawan would give the girl when the siblings told them about…

Jun found a small smile stretching across his lips as he too sipped his hot chocolate, watching as Henry kept Jeri’s hand in his, running his thumb across the back of her hand as she leaned into his shoulder.

 


GUYS!! I'M SO SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS LATE FIRST MOVING AND THEN THIS RIDICULOUS COLD MAKES ME SUCH A BAD AUTHOR! I hope I could at least make this chapter worth the wait, and I'll do my best to update a little more before the new year~~

Thank you for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~!

Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson, iheartbts, FixRate, DolphinWorld and Arashi93 for upvoting~!