The Four Trainees

Unrelenting Fortitude

knock knock knock

“Ah! I’m coming~!”

The door quickly opened and a smaller girl poked her head around it. “Oh! Jun-oppa~! Good morning~!”

“Morning Sunyoung, is Jeri awake yet?” Jun asked with a small laugh.

“Jeri-unnie? No I don’t think so…” Sunyoung hummed, raising her eyes to the ceiling in thought.

Jun sighed and rubbed his hands across his face. “Well could you go wake her up for me? We have to go practise again today.”

“Sure Oppa! Wait right here and I’ll go-”

“It’s alright Sunyoung, I’m right here.”

The smaller girl jumped slightly as the door was pulled open by the taller brunette, Jeri rubbing her eyes with the heel of her hand with a small duffle bag hanging off of her shoulder.

“C’mon brat, we’re already late. See you later Sunyoung,” Jun bid, reaching over and tugging his sister out of the dorm room.

“Bye bye Oppa! Take care of Unnie today as well please~!” the smaller girl cheered, waving after them.

Once the siblings were making their way down the stairwell, Jun tightened his grip on his sister’s hand, knowing that in her half dazed state that it was more likely for her to trip and kill herself on the steps.

“I know I said that this would be just like school, but I’m starting to regret it,” Jeri grumbled, running her hand through her messy hair. “Even after a year and a half I’m still not used to these all nighters and early mornings.”

“How do you think the rest of us feel? I have to get up extra early to come and get you from your dorm,” Jun chuckled, opening the door to the lobby.

“You know you don’t have to come and get me, I was awake and just finishing getting my bag ready,” Jeri scoffed, upturning her nose.

Jun simply chuckled and continued to hold her hand as they exited the building and began the short walk towards SM headquarters.

Though the siblings were trainees under SM Entertainment and debuting in only five months, none of the fans standing on the sidewalk outside the building even gave them a second glance. There was a tiny part of Jeri that was a little insulted that they were pushed aside and ignored because they were not of clear Korean descent, but there was also a second(and more rational part) that told her to enjoy the ignorance while it lasted; they’d be getting mobbed and having their privacy rights revoked like all of the other groups soon enough.

As the duo walked through the front doors and down the familiar hallways, Jeri caught sight of a few other groups practising diligently for their next release or their hopeful debut number.

“Hey brat, stop zoning out,” Jun laughed, poking his sister in the nose with a grin.

Jeri wiggled her nose at the contact and gave him a small glare before following him into the practise room.

“Heeeey! There you two are!” Harii greeted from his stretching position.

“We thought you’d gotten lost or something,” Setiawan added with a chuckle.

“Us? Lost? Never,” the siblings chorused, large grins quickly stretching across their lips.

Harii and Setiawan simply laughed as the siblings entered further into the room, placing their bags on the far wall with the other two and took off their sweaters so that they were only wearing loose fitting shirts and sweatpants with their shoes. Jeri and Jun both walked onto the floor and began to stretch as well.

“You’re such a show-off,” Jun snorted, watching as his sister descended into a bridge.

Jeri shifted her head slightly to grin over at him. “You’re just jealous that you can’t do it.”

None of us can!” Jun huffed.

Beside him, Harii scoffed and took a few steps forward until he was standing next to Jeri. Twisting his back a few times, he too slowly made his way down into a bridge causing Jeri to fall over as she started laughing and Jun to pout.

“What, you’re not going to show-off next?” the brunet pouted, looking up at their leader.

Setiawan laughed and raised his hands in surrender. “My bones are too old to even try stuff like that.”

Jun continued to pout as Jeri got back into her bridge position from the floor.

“Can you go into a handstand, Jeri-ah?” Harii asked with a laugh.

Jeri gave him a quizzical look causing him to grin before pulling his feet up off of the ground into a handstand.

That I can match!” Jun laughed, dashing over and quickly flipping into a handstand next to the Korean.

“C’mon Jeri-ah,” Harii laughed, him and Jun walking around the room on their hands.

Giving a huff of determination, Jeri did a few little jumps, attempting to lift her feet up and over her head.

“Harii, how did you do that!?” the girl growled, doing a few more jumps.

“You lift with your back, not your legs,” Harii laughed, still standing on his hands as Jun attempted to swat his feet with his own.

“My back??” Jeri gawked. “How the flock do I do that??”

Before either Harii or JUn could answer her, Jeri’s legs were lifted up off of the ground, the three laughing as Setiawan helped her to get her balance before releasing her calves.

“Waaaaa, I’ve never done a handstand before!” she cheered, her arms wobbling for a few moments before she managed to straighten them. “....how do I get down…?”

Jun and Harii laughed again and set their feet back on the ground as Setiawan helped Jeri flip right-side up, the girl teetering on her feet for a few seconds while holding her head.

“Well I think we’ve stretched enough,” Setiawan laughed, holding Jeri’s shoulders so she didn’t fall over. “Should we just run through the entire routine to start?”

“The entire routine??” Jun groaned.

“We probably should; we don’t want any mistakes, do we Gantu?” Jeri scolded, giving their leader a pointed look.

Harii and Jun snickered as Setiawan sighed and rolled his eyes, releasing her shoulders upon figuring that her head rush had passed. “How many times do I have to say I’m sorry?” he groaned.

“She’s going to carry your two left feet to the grave,” Jun laughed, walking over to his position for their opening formation.

Setiawan simply released another sigh before joining Harii and Jun in their proper spots, Jeri readying the stereo with their music. Pressing play, the girl dashed over to her spot at the front of the diamond formation and waited for the music to start.

Tambourine’s debut single, Back Row Breakout, was supposed to tell a story of how a stereotypical band geek, played by Harii in the MV, could have a shining moment if given the right motivation and chance to do so. Wielding their namesakes for not only the MV but the dance as well, the quartet hoped to make their mark come March.

"You guys are just sad," Jeri laughed, looking down at the three who were laying on the floor panting. "You'd think you've never danced before."

 

"Give us a break, Jeri," Setiawan panted. "I'm not as spry as I used to be."

 

"Yeah, and some of these moves are so overly dramatic..." Jun grunted.

 

"Oh please, I hand you a bottle of Schnapps and you're dancing is so dramatic that you look like you're in a Shakespearean play," Jeri shot back with a raised eyebrow.

 

Harii and Setiawan burst out laughing at her statement as Jun's face went a little more pink.

 

"That doesn't leave this room, check?" Jun stated, giving his sister a pointed look.

 

"No promises," Jeri challenged with a smirk.

The door to the practise room suddenly creaked open causing the four to turn, the three men instantly jumping to their feet when they found the president standing in the doorway.


“Ah, hyung! Good afternoon!” Harii greeted, giving the older man a deep bow.

“Good afternoon president!” the other three chorused, giving the man a deep bow as well.

Sooman laughed and walked further into the room and motioned for them to straighten up, them doing so.

“What brings you here Hyung?” Setiawan asked, seeming genuinely curious.

“I came ask how you’re all holding up; not getting too nervous are we?” the man asked, folding his hands behind his back.

“I’m sure that there are a little bit of nerves, but I don’t think that any of us are experiencing it to the point where we’re going to break down or run away,” Setiawan laughed, looking down at the three by his side as they nodded in agreement.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Sooman smiled. “I also came to give you four something to help you along.”

The quartet exchanged confused glances as the president walked out of the practise room and returned with four large rings in his hands.

“These were the closest things we could find to size and weight to your tambourines, they should help you for practise,” the older man hummed, offering them to the youngers.

Harii quickly shuffled forward and took them from the older man, walking back over and handing the rings out.

“Oh wow, these have some weight on them,” Jun hummed, lifting the ring in his hand a few times before swapping hands.

“Hopefully these will do for your practises,” Sooman hummed.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine Hyung, thank you,” Setiawan replied, giving the older man an appreciative smile.

Sooman nodded. “Well in that case, I’ll leave you four to it. Train well.”

“Thank you, we will!” the four chorused, giving their elder another bow as he left the room, closing the door behind him.

“Alright, so what do we do now?” Jeri asked, rolling her ring around in her hands.

“Do we want to try to run through the dance again, but with these this time?” Harii suggested, holding his own ring up.

“We should; we’ve been learning with nothing in our hands so far, so we need to get ourselves used to having something to hold onto,” Setiawan rationalized.

The three youngers nodded and Jeri walked back over to their stereo to reset the song, sprinting back over to their formation just before the song began.

The music started and they ran through half of the song before Harii’s ring went flying in the opposite direction, the other three bursting out laughing as he went dashing after it.

“Harii! We were doing so well!” Jeri whined, giving the Korean a pout.

“How many times so I have to tell you to use Oppa,” the boy sighed, giving her a scolding look.

“Hey! You said it’s alright as long as it’s just us!” Jeri shot back, crossing her arms over her torso.

“Yeah, but I don’t want you to go out and drop all honourifics in general, so you should start using them now before you get yourself into trouble,” Harii claimed.

Jeri simply pouted at him, Harii continuing to give her a stern look as Setiawan rolled his eyes while Jun laughed and ruffled his sister’s hair.

“Lead vocalist against lead dancer, who’s your money on hyung?” Jun snickered, looking up at the blond.

“I’m not touching this,” Setiawan chuckled, walking over to his bag to get himself a bottle of water.

“Aw c’mon Setiawan! You’re such a party pooper,” Jun laughed.

“Then how about lead rapper joins the brawl?” Setiawan smirked, giving Jun a knowing look.

“I take pride in my role as lead visual more than lead rapper; I still think you would have fit the position better,” Jun scoffed with a roll of his eyes.

Setiawan simply chuckled and took a swig of his water, offering the brunet a bottle of his own, Jun taking it with a nod in thanks.

“Jeri!”

“But whyyyy??!” the girl whined, her shoulders sagging.

“Because it’s proper and you can get into some serious trouble if you don’t!” Harii barked back. “If you don’t use honourifics with people who are older than you or higher than you then you get have some nasty comments come your way.”

“Harii has a point Jeri,” Setiawan spoke. “They may let it slide the first few times because your a foreigner, but eventually it’ll start to tick people off because you’re essentially ignoring their culture.”

Jeri blew a raspberry but sighed in defeat, accepting that she really had no other choice.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wooow! So many of you guys zipped over here when I posted the link, I feel so loved~<3

Thanks for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~! Also guys, I'm not sure if you've seen it or not, but be sure to give me feedback on what I posted for the first "chapter", if you guys aren't interested then tell me and I won't do it, but I don't know how to interpret silence XD

 


Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson and iheartbts for upvoting~!