Kyutest Birthday Surprise

Unrelenting Fortitude

“We should get sprinkles!”

“I’m not sure-”

“And whipped cream!”

“But I-”

“OOH! We should totally get some gummies!”

“I don’t-”

“OK we’re definitely getting some carrot sticks!”

“....for a cake??” Ryeowook asked, giving the girl a baffled look.

“What? I get munchy when I cook, and unless you want me to munch on the cake ingredients I’m planning ahead!” Jeri defended, giving the man a pout while placing the carrot sticks in their cart.

Ryeowook simply rolled his eyes with a smile as Jeri fixed the glasses on her face before continuing to look along the aisles for any more required items.

It was February 3nd, meaning Super Junior’s maknae had a birthday today; a birthday that Jeri and Ryeowook agreed to indulge in by making Kyuhyun a homemade cake and decorating their dorm. The girl had enlisted some of the other boys to go out and buys gifts for their maknae while her and Super Junior’s eternal maknae would be making the food, especially after Ryeowook indulged Jeri with the horror stories that their poor kitchens had to endure through. Though Jeri had no doubt the making of the cake would be a tedious task as well as decorating the dorm, the hardest part about this whole surprise party had been keeping Kyuhyun in the dark about the whole thing; the quick witted maknae asking more than once if they were doing a hidden camera prank on him until Jeri finally forcefully enlisted her brother’s help to get Kyuhyun out of the dorm for a few hours, though not without consequence.

And here she stood, in the middle of the icing aisle, list in hand with Super Junior’s Kim Ryeowook and a horrendously oversized and flamboyantly pastel coloured knit sweater; she didn’t know who was more embarrassed, her or poor Wookie…

“Jeri-ah, don’t get that one; it’s fattening!” Ryeowook chirped as she picked up an icing from the shelf.

Jeri gave him an incredulous look. “But’s it's the best brand…”

“We’re trying to keep our calorie intake to a min-”

“If you’re telling me you want to make someone a low or fat-free cake for their birthday we’re not friend anymore,” Jeri deadpanned. “If you’re so worried about the calorie count then don’t have a HUGE piece and make sure you burn off what you eat; it’s how you lose weight in the first place, making sure what you burn is greater than your intake…”

The man gave her a baffled look to which Jeri simply rolled her eyes and placed the icing in the cart, giving him a look that dared him to say anything against it.

The two made their way to the cashiers and finally into Ryeowook’s car before heading back to Super Junior’s dorm.

“You go in and start everything up, I’ll bring the bags,” Jeri spoke as they drove by the front entrance towards the underground parking lot.

When she didn’t get an answer from the driver, she turned to look at him only to see he was pouting at her.

“Don’t look at me like that, you know that I’ll have an easier time getting into the building than you will. Besides, if you get swarmed and ruin my carrot sticks I’ll throttle you in your sleep,” Jeri huffed, upturning her nose and crossing her arms over her chest to emphasis her point.

She missed Ryeowook rolling his eyes but smiling and shaking his head as he parked.

They exited the car and the older man made his way towards the dorm as planned while Jeri shuffled around with the bags, trying her best to figure out how to carry all of them by herself without lacerating her arms. She managed to get them all on her arms and used her hip to bump the back door closed before making her way towards the dorm as well.

As per usual, few of the fans gathered outside the dorm gave her a second glance, and those that did either glared at her or waved with an excited smile stretched across their face. Jeri wished she could have waved back, but as her hands were occupied they had to make due with getting a happy grin instead.

Once she got into the dorm and trekked up the several flights of stairs, she simply kicked the door several times, not having the strength to lift the bags to ring the buzzer. Regardless of the means to summoning him she used, Ryeowook opened the door mere seconds later, quickly taking half of her bags and allowing her to enter first after she thanked him.

“I got everything set up but I haven’t started the oven yet; I figured we’d do that when we’re closer to being ready to putting the cake in,” Ryeowook relayed, placing all of their ingredients on the kitchen table beside Jeri’s bags.

“That sounds reasonable,” Jeri agreed. Rubbing the red lines along her palms. “Should we start?”

Ryeowook nodded as Jeri walked by him to wash her hands in the sink. As she was rinsing the suds off of her hands, she was momentarily blinded when a thin piece of fabric passed over her head, Jeri looking down and laughing as Ryeowook tied the strings of the apron around her back.

“Isn’t this Tui’s?” she laughed, recognising the familiar pink apron from back in 2010.

“I’m sure he won’t mind sharing… where is he anyways, he said he’d help us make the cake and snacks…” Ryeowook hummed, looking over at the clock on the wall.

As if on cue, the front door opened and a second later Zhou Mi walked into the kitchen with a few bags in his hands.

“Jeez what are you Beetlejuice? Did we say your name one too many times?” Jeri laughed.

“Two things,” the oldest began. “One, I don’t understand that reference so I’m assuming it’s a European thing-”

“Actually the movie is American-”

“TWO,” Zhou Mi interrupted, giving Jeri a look, “Have I ever told you that you look ravishing in my clothes~?”

“Down boy, buy me dinner first,” Jeri laughed.

“Am I making the cake on my own or are you two going to flirt all day?” Ryeowook snickered, walking passed them to start digging out the necessary ingredients.

“Nah, Jeri’s cute but she’s not really my type,” Zhou Mi sighed, placing the back of his hand on his forehead.

“Tui needs someone strong to carry his copious amounts of shopping bags for him,” Jeri snickered.

Quickly taking a towel off of the counter, Zhou Mi whipped it, landing a solid ‘snap’ on Jeri’s rear end causing her to yelp and laugh while making a hasty retreat to Ryeowook’s side.

The trio quickly set themselves on making Kyuhyun’s birthday cake, each man making one layer of cake while Jeri “enhanced” the icing as she worded it, adding some flavouring and colouring after splitting the icing into three different containers. The girl was so focused on what she was doing that it wasn’t until it was too late that Zhou Mi had a small handful of flour above her head… and soon in her hair.

“YA! TUI!” the girl barked, quickly closing her eyes as the two men laughed.

“C’mon Jeri, going grey already?” Ryeowook laughed from behind his hand.

“Yeah, unfortunately that’s what happens when I affiliate myself with people like you; early greys,” Jeri scoffed, shaking her head back and forth to try and get the flour out of her hair.

“Rude!” Zhou Mi scoffed.

Jeri caught sight of his hand out of her peripheral vision and acted on instinct, the oldest releasing a squeal when Jeri squirted the food colouring bottle in his direction.

“Jeri!!”

“Oooohhhhh, that’s gonna stain~” Ryeowook sang with a laugh.

“Don’t mess with the Jer-Bear! Besides it’s your own fault; who in their right mind wears white when they’re cooking?” the girl barked, wielding the red food dye in his direction again as Zhou Mi fussed over the red, now pink stain on his white shirt.

Zhou Mi simply gave her a pout after his rubbing only served to spread the stain as the two youngers laughed at his apparent fashion tragedy.

So as to not waste any more ingredients and at Ryeowook’s pleading to actually get the cake finished, the trio finished their jobs, Jeri placing the icing containers in the fridge while each half of the cake was placed in the oven to cook. The moment Ryeowook set the timer, the front door opened once again, this time followed by excited chatter.

“Welcome home~” Jeri called out, poking her head into the foyer.

“Hey Jeri, how’s the cak-whoa…” Shindong stopped mid sentence when he saw the state of her hair, still laced with flower.

“What happened to you?” Siwon asked with a laugh.

“Oh trust me, you think this is bad? You should see the other guy,” Jeri laughed, allowing Leeteuk to step forward and attempt to brush the flour out of her hair.

“Did you want to shower while we decorate the dorm?” Donghae offered.

“Yeah, one of us can lend you a shirt or something,” Yesung agreed.

“Nah, call me old fashioned but showering in someone else’s place just weirds me out unless I’m like, there for a few days,” Jeri claimed with a shrug. “I can wait until I get back to the dorm. Besides, someone’s gotta watch the cake.”

“The cake is cooking Jeri-ah, besides, i can watch over it, you go clean yourself up upstairs,” Ryeowook spoke, walking over.

“But-”

“No buts unless it’s yours moving to a shower, now get!” Eunhyuk laughed, spinning her towards the door.

“Henry, go and make sure she doesn’t steal any hats again,” Sungmin called out with a laugh, pushing the Canadian towards the door as well.

“That was one time!” Jeri called out with a laugh. “And I gave it back!”

“Yeah, like a week later! That was my favourite hat!” Donghae whined.

Jeri simply rolled her eyes and opened the door to head up to the second dorm upstairs, Henry following behind her.

“I still think they should be concerned about you knowing their passcode,” Henry laughed as she punched it in.

“Then it’s a good thing you don’t live here with them isn’t it?” she grinned, opening the door and stepping into the dorm.

“Sorry, I don’t have any nice hats to steal,” he called out as he sat down on the couch.

“Ya!”

Henry snickered as Jeri closed the bathroom door behind her and seconds later the shower could be heard turning on. Playing around with his phone and zoning out, Henry didn’t hear the shower turn off a while later, nor the door creaking open and someone calling his name.

“YA! LAU!”

Henry shrieked and dropped his phone while shooting to his feet and spinning around. Jeri’s head was poking out from behind the door, her hair still damp and an amused grin stretched across her lips.

“How much do you love me?” she asked.

“After a stunt like that I’m not so sure anymore…” Henry scoffed, bending over to pick up his phone from the floor.

“Hey, you were ignoring me or doing something naughty over there and I’m facing a crisis over here, what was I supposed to do, throw a shampoo bottle at the back of your head?” Jeri scoffed.

Henry rolled his eyes and took a step around the couch. “Alright fine, what is this crisis?”

“I don’t have a towel…”

At her words Henry froze and his cheeks went pink, his eyes subconsiously drifting down her face to her neck and the one bare shoulder that could be seen from around the door.

“My eyes are up here Pancake,” Jeri teased. “Go get me a towel.”

Henry’s eyes shot back up and he hurriedly nodded his head and went to the closet to grab her a towel, Jeri all the while laughing at his embarrassed state. After grabbing one, he kept his head turned in the opposite direction as he handed it to her, Jeri laughing again but thanking him before closing the door.

“I’m gonna go to Donghae-hyung’s room and see if I can find some clothes you can wear,” Henry called out.

Hearing a faint affirmative from inside the bathroom, Henry made his way towards the older man’s room, muttering a quick apology before opening one of his drawers to look for a shirt that may fit the girl. Finding one he deemed approriate, he closed the drawer and walked back into the hall and knocked on the bathroom door. The door opened a crack and a hand shot out causing Henry to laugh and place the shirt in it before both hand and shirt disappeared into the bathroom once again.

A few seconds later the door opened and Jeri stepped out while still toweling her hair dry.

“Thanks for the save Pancake,” she grinned.

Henry gave her an elaborate bow making her laugh and pat him on the back of the head before motioning that they should head back down.

Just as they got to the lower floor and opened the door, the duo’s ears were hit with arguing and the overpowering smell of something burnt as well as sickeningly sweet.

“Hyung turning the temperature of the oven up does not make it cook faster!”

“How was I supposed to know that!?”

“C’mon Shindong, everyone knows that!”

Jeri’s eyes widened and she didn’t even bother taking her shoes off as she marched into the dorm and quickly entered the kitchen.

“WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO!?” she screeched, her eyes laying on the burnt halves of the cake sitting on the stove top.

“It was Shindong-hyung!” Eunhyuk yelped, pointing an accusing finger towards the older.

“YA!”

“He turned the oven up because he thought it was taking too long to cook…” Zhou Mi sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“SHINDONG!!”

“I didn’t know!!” the plump man defended, waving his hands back and forth at the clearly seething girl.

“What are we supposed to do now!? Kyuhyun and Jun are going to come back soon!” Jeri yelled.

“We could go buy a cake?” Sungmin offered.

“WE SHOULDN’T HAVE HAD TO!!”

Just as the words left , a resounding thud and short scream sounded from the living room, Jeri internally groaning as everyone poked their head into the living room.

Leeteuk and Donghae both on the ground rubbing their backs while Siwon stood there wide eyed with a now torn birthday banner and Yesung had his head in his hands.

“GUYS!!”

“I’m sorry Jeri-ah, we tried to make sure it was taped well…” Leeteuk began.

“But I lost my balance and… kinda took Leeteuk-hyung and the banner with me…” Donghae sighed.

Jeri hung her head as Henry laughed and patted her on the back.

“Jeri-ah! Maybe if we use your icing and some other sweets we can salvage the cake!” Sungmin called out from the kitchen.

Jeri turned to look at the older man who was fiddling with her containers of icing while walking towards them. Her eyes widened when she realised how he was holding the container however.

“Wait! Mickey no don’t-”

Before she should stop him, Sungmin pulled the lid off of the container, but the relieved pressure caused the bin to fly out of his hands and into the living room, blue, green and pink icing splattering all over the floor, couches, walls and residents.

“Sungmin-ah!”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean too!!”

Jeri once again bowed her head in defeat, accepting that things couldn’t get much worse...

“What… are you guys doing??”

The dorm was suddenly so silent that you could hear a pin drop, everyone freezing and slowly turning to look towards the short foyer. There stood Kyuhyun and Jun, both with a few bags in their hands and baffled looks on their faces.

While Jeri attempted to force intelligible words out of , she could see Kyuhyun’s eyebrow raise as his eyes scanned the ripped and scattered decorations as well as various splotches of whipped cream, frosting and sprinkles on the floor, walls and several faces. When his eyes finally returned to her own, Jeri simply gave him an awkward smile.

“Happy birthday?”

 


Here's the next chapter guys~ I hope you enjoy the ridiculouness that poor Jeri has to endure

Thank you for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~!

Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson, iheartbts, FixRate, DolphinWorld and Arashi93 for upvoting~!