New Friends and Tattered Wings

Unrelenting Fortitude

The forest was dense and dark. The trees were as high as the clouds and seemed so serene it was intimidating. It was absolutely silent.

 

Suddenly, a figure burst through a bush and raced through the trees, a look of panic on their face as their laboured breathing and pounding heartbeat could almost be heard. They continued to dodge and weave around trees and bushes, their boots thumping on the ground with every step.

 

The person shrieked and suddenly fell out of the camera view.

 

"Cut!" A voice hollered.

 

"Jeri!" Jun cried, dashing over to his fallen sister, Harii right behind him.

 

"Ah man, that's just rude!!" Jeri cried, removing her hand from the warm pile it had landed in when she fell.

 

Jun and Harii burst into laughter as Jeri attempted to whip the feces off of her hand and into the grass.

 

"What did you trip on?" Harii asked.

 

"I'm assuming this," Setiawan claimed, tugging on her caught foot.

 

The bush that she had jumped over had managed to snag the laces of her boot and prevent her from moving. Setiawan quickly unravelled the branches from her foot, allowing her to stand up. As she brushed off the dirt from her front, Jun was patting her down to make sure nothing was broken.

 

"What are you, my mother? Stop!" Jeri huffed, batting his hands away.

 

"Just making sure you didn't break a nail," Jun teased with a grin.

 

Harii and Setiawan laughed as Seomun came over.

 

"Are you alright Jeri?" he asked, sounding concerned.

 

"I'm fine, the only thing I hurt is my pride," she sighed, cracking her knuckles while giving her brother a warning look.

 

Seomun nodded in approval. "Well, that's all the footage we need for the song anyways. We'll compile some of it, but other than that, get some rest, walk around a little, and enjoy Canada while you still can."

 

The four nodded as Seomun walked away and they all exchanged high-fives and smiles.

 

Tambourine has been in British Columbia, Canada for nearly two months, finishing up the filming for their new album, Stand-By. The "outdoor" filming had now been finished, which gave the four an opportunity as well as the freedom to enjoy the northern country before they left for Seoul. While they had been in Canada,Jeri had gotten multiple calls, texts and e-mails from the guys back in Korea. In her time away little to nothing had happened back in Seoul prompting to guys to call and ask how she was doing. As the guys from SuJu M had brought her back souvenirs from China, Jeri was adamant about bringing gifts back from Canada, even if she had to go to a dollar store and just buy stamps...

 

"What are you guys going to go do?" Harii asked as the bus drove them back to the hotel.

 

"I'm going to go find a restaurant and eat maple syrup and bacon until I implode," Jun stated with a grin.

 

"Please don't… If you implode, they'll call us to come and clean it up, and I've already been wrist deep in stuff I'd rather not be in…" Jeri groaned, subconsciously wiping her hand on her seat while texting Henry back.

 

The boys laughed and Jeri glared at them and muttered, crossing her arms in a pout.

 

"I just want to get back to the hotel and sleep," Harii sighed, sinking in his seat.

 

"What about you Jeri?" Setiawan asked, turning in his seat to look back at her.

 

"I have to try and find thing for the guys, that and I just wanted to meander around and see what they have to offer around here… see how different it really is from Korea and Ireland," she replied, looking out the window.

 

"Well, I guess you and me are escapading then, huh?" Jun claimed nudging his sister in the side with a grin.

 

"Joy to the world," she sighed, but a smirk still forming on her lips.

 

The bus soon got to the hotel and the four split into twos: Setiawan and Harii staying at the hotel to pack/sleep, and Jun and Jeri leaving to go look around the city.

 

"So? Where to first?" Jun asked, allowing his sister to linked their elbows together as they walked into town.

 

"Hmm, well… let's get your bottomless pit not bottomless shall we?" Jeri offered.

 

Naturally, Jun grinned widely and they began walking towards a fairly busy street, not even noticing some of the people would stop and stare at them or quickly pull out their phones or cameras and take pictures. Jun suddenly pulled her into a small tavern looking restaurant. Immediately, Jeri's nose was assaulted with the aroma of pancakes, syrup, eggs, hash browns and… of course…

 

"Bacon~~" Jun moaned, inhaling the air.

 

"Can we get a table for two please?" Jeri laughed, as a girl came over to them with a couple menus.

 

She nodded with a smile and led them over to a small table and gave them their menus. When their server came over to take their orders, Jun was naturally all over the bacon, asking how much it was and what grade it was, so on and so forth. The man, who couldn't have been any older than Jun himself, was quite baffled and turned to Jeri for help.

 

"Give him extra bacon and he'll shut up," she claimed with an apologetic smile.

 

He quickly nodded and walked away as Jun continued ranting about the bacon and it's quality.

 

"Jun, he's gone… you can stop it now," Jeri stated, toeing him under the table.

 

Jun gave her a grin and rested in his seat, a triumphant grin on his face.

 

Their food soon came and sure enough, Jun had several more pieces of bacon stacked on his plate. They thanked their server and dug in. They finished their food, paid, and continued into town.

 

The duo meandered into a couple stores, Jeri buying a couple souvenirs and Jun looking at the earrings. They continued their walk, Jun offering to carry the bags, and when they were passing by, Jeri pulled Jun into a small park where a bunch of kids were playing by a river. Jun ran towards the river's bank and Jeri sat down on a bench beside another girl.

 

The girl was quite pale and had a small layer of makeup on her cheeks with thick black eyeliner and dull purple lipstick. Her right eyebrow was pierced with two hoops, a ring in her left nostril and several studs, rings and bars running up her ear, Jeri only assuming it was the same for the left ear as well. Her hair was a shimmery violet and was massively spiked on top of her head with black roots poking through. She was wearing stereotypical gothic clothing; the spiked choker, ripped fishnet shirt with a tattered tank-top overtop of it, and ripped short shorts, but the type that actually covered one's rear. The things that really drew Jeri in were the beautifully crafted tattoos on her body, one lining the girl's collarbone and right arm in the shape of a blue and purple phoenix, and one actually wrapping from her collar bone, around the back of her neck and down her front, disappearing under her shirt, Jeri managing to make out a snake with feathers.

 

"Can I help you?"

 

She jumped up straight and noticed that the girl was looking up from her book and giving the teen a scolding look.

 

"I-I'm so sorry, I was just admiring your tattoos, they're beautifully done," Jeri stuttered, a tinge of pink on her cheeks from embarrassment.

 

The scolding look fell from the girl's face and was replaced with a grin.

 

"Thanks, my brother did them for me," she said, closing her book.

 

"Well, you're brother has a real talent," Jeri replied with a laugh. "Is he going into the tattooing business?"

 

"He wants to, but mom doesn't want him too, she's never been very approving of doing anything to change your body; tattoos, piercings, coloured hair, the works," the girl explained.

 

"How's that working out for you?" Jeri joked, motioning to the girl's appearance.

 

The two burst into laughter and the girl ran her hand through her violet locks.

 

"My name's Harley. Harley David," the girl introduced, holding out her hand.

 

"Jer-" Jeri stopped suddenly when she remembered that she was a celebrity, so dishing out her name wasn't exactly the best thing to do. But she wanted to make friends with this girl, Harley…

 

"Jeri Isami right?" Harley finished, grasping Jeri's hand in hers. "My friends have the hots for your brother," she laughed, nodding to the man splashing about in the river like a toddler.

 

"Why?" Jeri asked, seeming absolutely baffled at the thought.

 

Harley burst out laughing and dropped her book to the ground making Jeri laugh as well.

 

"Is he that bad?" Harley asked, reaching down to get her book.

 

"Two year old children on sugar are saints," Jeri deadpanned.

 

Harley snorted, trying not to laugh once again and placed the book on the bench in between them.

 

"Twilight?" Jeri asked, trying to hide a groan.

 

"You can't judge a book by its cover," Harley claimed, picking it up and opening the front cover.

 

She pulled off the paper backing and allowed the teen to see "The Lord of the Rings" etched in gold on the actual cover, making Jeri laugh.

 

"That I approve of," she laughed, patting Harley's shoulder.

 

Harley laughed also and put the book back together. Jeri simply stayed silent and Harley gave her an odd look.

 

"You're staring at me again," Harley laughed, waving her hand in front of the younger teen's face.

 

"Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what your other tattoo is," Jeri said, pointing to the hidden snake. "I'm thinking a dragon, but there's no feet…"

 

"It's Quetzalcoatl," Harley replied.

 

"Bless you." was Jeri's instant reply.

 

Harley laughed and shook her head.

 

"Quetzalcoatl. He was a Mesoamerican deity who taught humans about the calendar and was the ruler of the sky… I'm pretty sure…" Harley explained, pulling her shirt down slightly to let Jeri see the serpent's head which rested just on her bone.

 

"It's so detailed," Jeri gawked, leaning in closer to see the detail of the feathers on the snake's head.

 

"It goes from there, up and around my neck, then down to my ribs; kinda like a feather boa," Harley said with a laugh, tracing the tattoo with her index finger.

 

"I know that in the bible it says honour your mother or something to take degree, but your brother needs to ignore that woman and go for it," Jeri claimed with a smile. "I'd totally come to him for a tattoo!"

 

"I'm sure he'd be honoured to know that a celebrity would grace him with their presence," Harley laughed.

 

Jeri pouted and crossed her arms, making Harley laugh and pat the younger girl's head.

 

"Hey brat, you ready to head back?" a voice sounded from beside them.

 

The girls turned to see that Jun had gotten out of the water finally and was standing there with a smirk, dripping from head to toe.

 

"Yeah sure," Jeri responded, standing from the bench. "Oh! Wait a second!" she quickly dug into her pant pocket and pulled out a small pencil. "Can I give you my number and e-mail?" she asked, turning back to Harley.

 

"Sure," she laughed, flipping her book open and offered the idol the front cover.

 

Jeri quickly scrawled her number and e-mail on the paper and handed the book back with a smile.

 

"Maybe I'll see you again before we leave, but if not, it was nice meeting you Harley," Jeri called, waving to her new friend as Jun walked her out of the park.

 

"So, you made a new friend huh?" Jun teased, patting her shoulder.

 

"Yeah, and she didn't even seem to care that I was an idol," Jeri smiled.

 

Jun ruffled his sister's hair and continued to lead her back to the hotel where the others were no doubt waiting for them to return.

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

"We're leaving tomorrow?" Harii asked, buttering his toast.

 

"Yes, our plane should be here around 6:30, so I suggest packing up tonight," Seomun responded, sipping his coffee.

 

"Well, at least we get to sleep in," Jeri sighed with a smile.

 

"6:30 in the morning brat," Jun corrected, sitting down at the table with his plate of food.

 

"You have got to be kidding me…" Jeri deadpanned. "That means we have to be up at like… 4. You do realize that that isn't going to happen right…?"

 

"I'll haul you over my shoulder if need be," Setiawan stated, finishing off his eggs.

 

The others laughed as Jeri pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. They all got into their own conversations when Jeri felt her pocket vibrate. She pulled out her phone fully expecting it to be one of the guys again and flipped it open.

 

'Hey, it's Harley! I was wondering if you're still in town, do you wanna hang out?'

 

Jeri smiled and quickly texted the girl back with a yes.

 

"What's up, you got a date?" Harii asked, noticing Jeri's happy expression.

 

"With a friend yes," Jeri replied.

 

"Is it that girl from yesterday?" Jun asked.

 

Jeri nodded and she noticed that Seomun's eyebrows were knitted together.

 

"I don't think that's a good idea Jeri. She could be an obsessed fan…" he began.

 

"If she's an obsessed fan then Harii is American," Jeri deadpanned.

 

The three men burst out laughing as Seomun simply sighed, knowing that she wasn't going to listen to him.

 

They finished breakfast and Jeri continued to text back and forth with Harley. They were going to meet at the park from yesterday and Harley offered to show Jeri around the town while she still could. Harley also asked if it was alright for her brother to tag along as he got into a fight with their mom and needed to go for a walk. Jeri was all for this, eager to meet the artist of the David family.

 

She bid the others farewell and made her way to the park. As she got to the gate, a group of girls a couple years younger than her ran up and asked for autographs. Jeri simply laughed and signed their pictures and CDs. After everything was signed, the girls left and Jeri waved as they hollered their goodbyes.

 

"I see you're good with the ladies," Harley laughed from behind her.

 

"I guess that's one way to put it," Jeri laughed, turning around to face her friend. "Is this the artist?"

 

"Yeah, Jeri, this is Josh. Josh, this is Jeri, the girl I was telling you about yesterday," Harley introduced.

 

"It's nice to meet you," Josh greeted, offering her his hand, which she shook.

 

Josh was a tall boy, perhaps a tiny bit shorter than Jun, and was quite lanky. He had a bright pink and green mohawk spiked on top of his head and green eyes and a small scar on the side of his face. He also had two piercings in each ear, two bars through his left eyebrow and a stud on his right nostril. He wore a wife-beater showing off his shoulders and arms allowing Jeri to see the several tattoos up and down both arms, up the left side of his neck and saw a couple that curled around to his back.

 

"Before you ask, he has ten," Harley said with a laugh.

 

Jeri laughed as well and Josh smiled.

 

The three moved out of the park and began walking around. Harley would pull Jeri into store and fawn over some rings or necklaces. Jeri picked out a couple things for the guys then sat at the side with Josh, allowing her to talk to the man.

 

"How long have you been tattooing?" she asked, genuinely curious.

 

"For about…. five years now? I've been tattooing since before I was even legal to get tattoos myself," he laughed.

 

Jeri nodded and looked at his arms. Each tattoo was impressively detailed; each scale, feather and eye looked like they could jump right off of his skin and become reality. Without realizing it, her hand stretched out to one that was on his wrist. She quickly stopped herself and jumped back like she had been burned, her face going pink from embarrassment.

 

"Sorry…" she muttered.

 

Josh laughed and twisted his wrist so that it showed the whole tattoo. For someone of his… appearance, a butterfly was the last thing Jeri expected to see on his skin.

 

It was made up of several variants of greens, blues and black. Its wings were fully stretched out and it had a shadow underneath of it. This plus the detail made Jeri believe that if she blew on it, it would fly away. The thing that was different about this butterfly, was while other tattoos will have them looking absolutely beautiful, Josh's butterfly had torn wings and was even missing an antenna.

 

"Why are its wings torn?" she asked, gently running her fingers over it.

 

"Symbolism." Josh replied watching her fingers.

 

"Symbolism?"

 

"A butterfly represents the ability or potential to change; to become something even greater. But my butterfly has torn wings…" he began, fading off with a downcast look.

 

"Sooo… you've changed… become great… but… you can't fly?" Jeri guessed.

 

Josh's head swung up to look at her, his eyes wide. Jeri saw his look and stepped back a bit.

 

"I-I-I'm sorry! I've never been good at guessing! I'm sure that's not-"

 

"You guys alright?" Harley asked, walking over with a couple bags over her arms.

 

Jeri swung her head to look at the older girl with a pleading look. Harley caught this then looked over to her brother, the man still looking stunned.

 

"Close yer' maw Joshie; you'll attract flies," she scolded flicking him in the forehead.

 

Josh stuttered for a couple seconds then glared up at his sister.

 

"C'mon! Let's go get some food, I'm starving!" Harley stated, pulling Jeri after her out of the store.

 

The three made their way through town until they came to a small diner and sat down.  Not even five minutes passed and someone knocked on the window. Harley laughed as Jeri groaned, seeing a group of screaming girls outside of the window with T-Shirts, CDs and other memorabilia with her brother's face on them.

 

"What, no Jeri?" the older girl joked, looking at all of the stuff the girls were pushing against the window.

 

"Out of the four of us, I'm the one who's least popular," Jeri muttered, playing with her fork and ignoring the girls.

 

"Who's the most popular?" Josh asked.

 

Without a word or raising her head, Jeri gestured to the girls with her fork, making the siblings chuckle. Just then, their waitress walked over and pulled out her pad and pen. She was about to say her usual speech when she saw the girls outside the window. She looked to the three sitting in the booth and her eyes laid on Jeri. Her pad flew up to cover as she squeaked in excitement, making Jeri groan.

 

"Oh my god! You're part of Tambourine, right?" the waitress squealed.

 

"I'm also leaving," Jeri muttered, standing from her seat and walking away without another word.

 

Harley and Josh quickly followed after her and managed to arrive just in time to step in between Jeri and the waiting hoard. The three were forced to make a run for it, Jeri leading them through the streets. Just as she ran around the corner, she slammed into a broad chest and fell down to the ground, Harley and Josh nearly running over her as they turned the corner.

 

"Jeri?"

 

Harley paused from helping the girl up to look up at the man she had run into.

 

"Whoa…" she gaped.

 

"Setiawan, how do you get rid of fans?!" Jeri asked frantically.

 

The blond blinked down at her and raised an eyebrow. He was about to question her when the group of girls came around the corner and froze, seeing the leader standing there.

 

"You've gotten yourself into a fine mess this time haven't you…?" Setiawan grumbled as the girls charged forward.

 

Jeri yelped and hid behind Setiawan as the girls ran up and began raving about wanting autographs and how they were number one fans and such.

 

As they continued their rantings, Setiawan simply raised his hand calmly, asking for silence. Surprisingly, the girl's slowly calmed down and waited for him to speak.

 

"Translate for me," he stated, turning his head to Jeri.

 

The girl nodded and walked out so she was standing beside him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"I'm sorry that you guys got caught up in all of that," Jeri apologised with a sigh.

 

"Nah, don't worry about it!" Harley said with a wave and smile

 

"It was a new experience for us," Josh laughed.

 

"Jeri!"

 

The girl turned to look back at the car and glared. She turned back to her two friends and gave them a smile.

 

"So… you're leaving tomorrow… right?" Harley tested, rubbing her arms.

 

"Yeah, back to South Korea for me," she replied.

 

"Well, it was awesome to meet you! I always expected famous people to be snobs and uppity, but I guess not all of them are," the older girl laughed.

 

Josh and Jeri laughed with her and soon the three were consumed by an awkward silence.

 

"Soooo…… Josh has something to say to you, so I'll head back in. Thanks for the ride back home Jeri!" Harley said, quickly dashing into the house before either of them could stop her.

 

Jeri looked up at Josh, the man rubbing the back of his neck and sighing.

 

"Well, I guess I should start then, since your ride wants to go home," Josh muttered, the horn of the car honking behind Jeri. "I wanted to say… thank you."

 

At Jeri's baffled look he laughed and showed her the tattoo that she had been fascinated with before; the butterfly.

 

"What you said was true; I've changed, become better, but I've been grounded; I can't fly. But… after you said that, I realised that I don't have to be grounded, I can fly with my tattered wings, it'll just be challenging to stay in the air," he explained. Josh lifted his head and looked at the teen with a smile. "I'm going to become a tattoo artist, it's what I've always wanted to be, to do, and if my mom doesn't like it, well… maybe she'll come around one day."

 

Jeri grinned at him and stuck out her hand, which he shook.

 

"Well then, I'll be sure to come and see you after that happens, and recommend all of my friends to you!" she laughed.


Josh nodded and motioned for the younger girl to go to her irritated driver. She dashed off, giving a wave over her shoulder at him, hopped into the car and was driven away from the quaint neighbourhood, watching it disappear from the back window.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I remembered to update this time! I noticed that since I put up the other three chapters no-one has really visited/read this story, did I scare you guys off?? I'm sorry if I did T^T

Thank you for subscribing and following along with me as I attempt to bring you an even greater experience with Jeri and the gang~! Also guys, I'm not sure if you've seen it or not, but be sure to give me feedback on what I posted for the first "chapter", if you guys aren't interested then tell me and I won't do it, but I don't know how to interpret silence XD

Thank you to all subscribers as well as silent readers, and a special thanks to arandomperson and iheartbts for upvoting~!