Goodbyes and Absences

Our Story

A solemn silence filled the living room where the 12 boys sat. It was 4:00 am in the morning but they were all awake and alert. It was the day that EXO-M was leaving to go to China. The first time they had left, it had been rushed and no one had really thought about what distance could do, how hard it would be without their other half. But now they knew. And they didn't want to go through it again. 

Minseok felt a strange sadness engluf him as he stared at the 6 boys that comprised EXO-K. He was going to miss them terribly.

He was going to miss Junmyun and his gentle, calm personality; the way that the younger boy managed to compromise, keeping the balance between the two groups. He would miss how Suho would never ask anything for return. The way that he let jokes and insults go with an easy smile, never embarrassed to show his love for s.

He was going to miss Jongin, the passion with which the boys danced, constantly, everywhere; he was going to miss the boy's playfulness and how he was such a normal boy with interests that he shared with the majority of boys his age. He was going to miss the boy's easy going personality and the way with which he accepted everyone, for who they were.

He was going to miss Sehun, the maknae. It may seem unusual to some that the eldest hyung and maknae got along so well but Minseok had always felt that there was something similar between them. He didn't know what it was exactly, I mean, they were both opposites when it came to appearance and Sehun's playful personality hardly matched Minseok's calmer and quiet one. Maybe it was how they didn't really have a specific role in their groups, Minseok contemplated. Maybe, maybe. 

He was going to miss Chanyeol, that stupid giant. He was going to miss how Chanyeol would always be so unusually bright and happy, no matter how bad the situation was. He was going to miss that one optimistic voice that would always speak up when something went wrong. He would miss the boy's laughs, the way his body would shake out of control. He would miss the boy's carefree confidence and self satisfaction, something which he even envied at times. He would miss how the boy persisted in being cheerful and happy even when he wasn't feeling happy or cheerful himself. 

He was going to miss Baekhyun. He was going to miss the witty remarks and sarcastic comments that would come out of the boy's mouth as naturally as breathing. He would miss how whenever they were on a show, Baekhyun would help him, in subtle ways, adding in a word or two, or commenting on what Minseok was saying. He would miss the boy's hyperness, even though it was awfully annoying at times. But he would also miss the times when the boy would go snuggle up to the members, in his puppy-like way, when he was sad or tired. 

He was going to miss Kyungsoo, perhaps the most. There was no doubt that Minseok talked to Kyunsoo the most from EXO-K. They were both quiet and understood each other's personalities perfectly. They knew what should be said and what shouldn't. Kyungsoo understood the nervousness Minseok would feel at the thought of speaking in public and knew what would help. Minseok would miss having someone who understood him like a brother. 

Minseok was reluctant to leave. But goodbyes were essential. They didn't have much time. He cleared his throat. "We should probably say our goodbyes now." He suggested. And, as if they had been waiting for a cue, everyone got up and began hugging each other, the room suddenly filled with quiet sobs and fake cheerful voices.

Minseok hugged Junmyun. "You're a great leader. Take care of the dongsaengs for me." He whispered into the boy's ear before patting his back. Junmyun gave a sad little smile. "I will. You take care as well, hyung." Junmyun said sadly.

Minseok hugged Jongin. "Keep dancing, my dongsaeng. " He said affectionately. Jongin nodded. "I will. You keep dancing as well, my hyung." He whispered quietly, his eyes b with tears. 

Minseok moved on to Sehun. He looked calm, his face molded into his stage mask, the one he kept for stages and interviews. "I'm going to miss you, Sehun-ah." Minseok said softly, hugging the boy. Sehun seemed to put his weight on Minseok for a moment, his head buried into Minseok's shoulder. "Hyung, take care of yourself. And, take care of.. Luhan hyung as well." He added, his voice no more than a whisper. Sehun let out a choked sob before taking a deep breath and standing up, his face calm as ever. "I will." Minseok promised, clutching the younger boy's hands and giving them a last, final squeeze. 

Chanyeol stood in front of Minseok and before Minseok could do anything, he was being hugged by the giant. Minseok wrapped his arms around the boy, tightly. "Hyung, you better send me a lot of pictures! I'll send you pics as well! You should get an instagram! It would be perfect-" Chanyeol rambled on, trying to hide his sadness with a stiff smile as words flew out of his mouth. Minsoek smiled. "Be quiet." He said affectionately. Chanyeol shut his mouth and looked at the floor. "I'm going to miss you hyung." He whispered softly, staring at the floor. Minseok smiled. "And I'm going to miss you. Don't worry, we'll soon be back." He reassured the younger boy. "Take care." 

Baekhyun was sniffling. "Hyung, have fun. Remember me, okay?" Baekhyun said, his voice shaky. "I'm not going away forever, silly." Minseok lightly smacked the boy's arm. "You take care and have fun as well, okay?" Minseok said seriously before hugging the boy. Baekhyun sighed into his hair, a soft and melancholy sigh. 

Minseok turned to look at the last member, Kyungsoo. They both wordlessly hugged each other, holding on tightly. Kyungsoo, the sweet boy, was crying a bit, Minseok realized. They both let go. "Hyung." Kyungsoo said. Minsoek nodded. "Yeah, I know. You too." Minseok said softly. 

These were their goodbyes, EXO-K and EXO-M's, only one of many, yet each began and ended in the exact same way. 

~

The ride to their airport was silent. Everyone watched out of the window, looking at Korea. Minseok looked out of the window, trying to remember everything. 

~

As they waited for their passports, Minseok felt an absence. He looked in his pockets, had he forgotten something? He checked everywhere, but everything seemed to be in place. Then it hit him. 

Luhan. 

Minseok had gotten so used to the boy's presence that he felt weird not having the pretty boy around him. Luhan had been weird for the last few days but Xiumin had just assumed it was because of their leaving Korea again. 

Minseok looked around and spotted Luhan talking with YiXing. Staring at the scene, Minseok couldn't help but feel a bit bitter. Why was Luhan with YiXing? Granted they were good friends, but Luhan always stuck to Minseok in the airports. Always. He wanted to approach them, to approach Luhan but didn't know how so he stood there silently, debating with himself. 

"Hyung? Are you okay?" He turned to see Jongdae. The boy looked calm and collected, relaxed. "Yeah, I'm fine." He said automatically. "It's just, I'm going to miss Korea." He said quickly. "Yeah, it's sad. But China is really pretty as well." Jongdae continued but Minseok tuned him out, noticing Luhan whispering into YiXing's ear. Which was what he usually did to Minseok.

Minseok let loose a shaky breath. Why was he feeling so strange? There was no reason to be. No reason at all. He humoured Jongdae for a while, talking about random tourist attractions that they wanted to go to but both knew would never have time for when suddenly his phone rang. He saw it was from his mum. 

"Omma." He let out. 

"Minseokie. Is my darling son going to China now?" His mother cooed, her voice shaky. 

"Yes." He replied, suddenly feeling sadder. 

"You didn't even visit me though." He could hear his mother's sadness. 

"I know. I'm sorry, we just didn't have enough-" 

"Time, I know."

"I'm sorry."

"Is it worth it?" 

"What?" 

"Are you happy?" 

"Of course." 

"That's all I need." 

"Omma." Minseok felt tears well up in his eyes. He suddenly felt like a child that had scraped its knee. "I miss you so much." He choked out. "I miss you too." He heard her sweet voice reply to him. A tear fell from his eye. "Tell Dad I love him." He managed to let out. 

"I will. I better go now. Love you, take care." 

"Love you too, bye." Minseok whispered. 

He heard the beeping noises, indicating the call was over. He reluctantly closed the phone. He was crying now. Silent tears, running down quickly. "Stop it. Stop crying." He whispered to himself, placing his hands over his eyes. He felt someone's arms wrap around him and peeked to see Jongdae. He felt.. disappointed somehow. He wasn't the same as Luhan. 

Minseok wanted Luhan. 

But Luhan still seemed to be having a serious conversation with YiXing, their faces close to each other as they spoke in hushed tones. Luhan didn't even glance at Minseok. The tears stopped and Minseok calmed himself down.

Stop being a baby. Don't cry again. You are 24, for 's sake. Don't look at them. Don't look at them. Don't look at them. Don't look at th- , they were still talking. No. It doesn't matter. They're friends as well. Stop being a brat. He thought to himself. He set his mouth in a straight line. A thought occured to him. He put on sunglasses. Now, look at them from the corner of your eye. 

~

They didn't stop talking. They continued on the plane, Luhan didn't even notice Minseok. Minseok tried his hardest not to care. He sat next to Jongdae who seemed interested in sleeping and sleeping only. Minseok heard rapid fast but quiet Mandarin from the seats in front of him. YiXing and Luhan's seats. Luhan was in front of him. Minseok could tap his shoulder if he wanted to. 

But he didn't. And soon, lulled by the plane's whirring, he fell asleep. 

~

"Is he asleep?" Luhan asked YiXing in mandarin. YiXing turned to check. "Yeah." Luhan turned around and took a look at the boy's face. He was sprawled over the flap that was used for eating. His lips could be seen and his hair. His eyes remained closed. Sunglasses that had come off were next to the boy's face.

"Do you really think that you-" YiXing hesitated, not sure whether to continue, not sure whether he should. 

Luhan looked miserable as he gazed back at YiXing. "I don't know. I honestly don't."

~~~

WAH no plotline ehhhh

also jealous minseokkkkkkkkk

poor minnie mouse. 

wah its so late 

i have school ugh

thanks for subs and comments!

bye!!!