Christmas: Korea

Our Story

Their goodbye at the airport had been different than their usual goodbyes. Usually, Luhan would be dramatic and even cry a bit as he said goodbye to Xiumin and Xiumin would frown for the entire day, distracted and upset, unable to do anything right, quietly missing the deer-like boy. Usually, it would often be awkward and upsetting, both of the boys unable to fully express their sadness at their departure. 

This time, however, their was a solemnity in the air. The year had been a challenging year, especially the last few months, and they both realized the need for some time away from each other. This didn't mean their feelings for each other had changed, in fact, they had probably been strengthened ever since the Christmas party. 

They said their goodbyes at the dorm, in private. They had all woken up earlier in order to say their goodbyes without any managers interfering. The Chinese members had their flight early in the morning. As Xiumin said goodbye to the other Chinese members, wishing them great holidays, he couldn't help but glance at Luhan from the corner of his eye. The boy was greeting the EXO-K members, hugging each of them. Xiumin turned his focus back to Lay, giving the boy a warm hug. "Have a great trip, Yixing-ah." He said. Lay nodded. "You have a great time as well, Minseok-ge." Lay said, a sleepy smile on his face. 

When it was finally his turn to say goodbye, he turned to Luhan. The boy had a bittersweet smile on his face as he gazed at Xiumin. Xiumin walked over to him and Luhan kept his arms wide open. Xiumin hugged the boy, his arms wrapping around the boy. He hid his face into Luhan's shoulder and let Luhan's cologne overwhelm his senses. When they let go, Xiumin spoke up. "Have a great trip, Lu-ge." He said softly. Luhan nodded. "Have fun. Take it easy." Luhan replied. Xiumin nodded. 

All the members were watching them in anticipation, as if waiting for something. "What are you guys looking at?" Luhan asked bluntly, noticing their gaze. Everyone immediately began to talk and disappeared from the room, talking about forgetting something. Lay was the only one who remained, looking confused. "What is going on?" He asked. Luhan and Xiumin exchanged secret smiles at the clueless boy. Chen walked back into the room and dragged Lay out, rolling his eyes at the boy's stupidity. When Luhan and Xiumin were left alone, they both turned their gazes to each other. 

They both remained quiet. "I should go." Xiumin finally spoke up, unable to deal with the silence anymore. "Wait." Luhan said. Xiumin turned around immediately. Luhan stepped closer to him, placing a hand on the boy's cheek. "I'm going to miss you, you know that. But, we need this. This break." Luhan said softly. Xiumin nodded. "You don't have to explain anything to me. I understand." Xiumin replied, a small smile on his face. Luhan chuckled a bit, the sound sad and forlorn. "You know me better than I know myself." Luhan probably meant it as a joke but it came out sounding serious and upset. Xiumin bit his lip, unsure of what to say. So, instead of saying anything, he kissed the boy, his hands looping around the boy's neck. Luhan immediately responded, his arms wrapping around Xiumin's waist, pulling him closer. The kiss was long and sweet, lazy and soft. When they broke apart, the pressed their foreheads together, panting slightly. "Bye." Xiumin whispered. "Bye." Luhan replied, his hand clutching the locket around his neck. 

~

Minseok was happy to see his parents and siblings again. Of course he was. The week went by very quickly and Minseok gave a day to each member. On Monday, he and his father went to the office and they spent their free time talking about football and the economy. Minseok felt strangely grown up. On Tuesday, he went with his younger sister to a nearby shopping mall (wearing suitable disguises of course) and they bought presents and clothing as well as having a relaxing cup of coffee. His older brother and him spent Wednesday playing soccer. His brother invited a lot of his friends from work to the game and they formed teams before playing against each other. Even though Minseok's team lost, it was refreshing and fun. On Thursday, Minseok helped his mom at home, doing gardening, helping with the chores, cooking with her. On Friday, he had a day to himself, going around his hometown, visiting some of his childhood friends, talking to some of his neighbors, reminiscing his childhood days. He visited all the spots he used to go to as a kid and let nostalgia overcome him, sitting for hours at each place. On Saturday, it was Christmas and he spent it with his entire family, eating everything and joking around freely. They exchanged presents cheerfully and Minseok had watched with affection as his siblings fought about who gave the better present. 

It was now Sunday and Minseok was waiting for the car and the manager to come and pick him up. He had gotten a text saying that they would be picking him up in 2 hours. He was having a cup of coffee in the kitchen, watching his mum work. "Minseok." His mum spoke up. "Yes?" He asked, glancing up from the cup of coffee. His mother was wiping down the counter as she spoke. "Is something wrong?" She asked, concern in his voice. Minseok raised an eyebrow. "No, why would you ask?" He said calmly. His mother placed the dishcloth down and turned to him, her arms crossed and a worried expression on her face. "It's just, you seem to be worried about something. You're quieter than usual and you seem more tired. More distant." His mother explained. The pure concern for him made Minseok feel slightly guilty, though there was no reason for him to feel that way.

"It's nothing really. It's just stress from trainings and stuff." He lied, shrugging his shouders. His mum's worry seemed to deepen and she frowned. "How bad is it that you can't even relax at home?" His mother asked him. Minseok thought about the manager, thought about Luhan's wish to leave EXO, thought about their relationship. "Well, recently, it's been a bit tense." He said awkwardly, wincing a bit. His mother sighed. "What happened? You know you can tell me." She said. Minseok smiled. "I know I can." He whispered, remaining quiet. His mother's face took on a resigned expression as she realized that Minseok wouldn't be talking about his troubles anytime soon. "Just remember, I'm only a call away." She said, patting his shoulder. 

~

When it was time for him to leave, Minseok was ready. He had said goodbye to his father and brother (who had to go work) in the morning and his sister had said goodbye in the afternoon, going to the library to study for an upcoming exam. His mother was the only one in the house. Their goodbye was passionate, his mother beginning to cry and Minseok had to promise to call her as soon as he got back at the dorm in order to calm her down. When he heard the car honk repeatedly, he knew that it was time to go. His mother managed to calm herself down and they shared one last hug. And then Minseok was gone. 

~

Along with a manager (whom Minseok didn't recognize) was Chanyeol. The boy looked hyperactive and disturbingly happy, as usual. "Hey hyung!" Chanyeol greeted in his deep voice. Minseok smiled back. "How was your break?" He asked the younger boy. "It was great-" And that was all it took before Chanyeol began his tale of every single thing he had done during the week. Minseok didn't really mind though. He welcomed the boy's voice, found comfort in it's cheerfulness. 

Truth be told, he wasn't sure how to feel or act. He didn't know how Luhan would want him to act. Their was nothing really wrong about their relationship, the manager problem was slowly but surely being fixed with the help of several other groups in SM, who, although slightly confused, were more than willing to help. They still loved each other, they said so everyday, and it was never forced or untrue. But there was a sort of barrier, something that seemed to keep them sadder than normal. Minseok thought it was Luhan's wish to leave EXO. It had been a shock to hear those words from Luhan's lips, from the boy who had been so happy about each comeback, who had practiced so much and trained so hard. Minseok didn't understand how the boy could willingly give it up. They had worked so hard, all of them. 

How could he let it go so easily? How he could let Minseok go so easily?

~

When they were nearing the dorm, Chanyeol's tale ended. "And that's what I did, more or less." The boy concluded, turning to the distracted Minseok who wasn't even looking at Chanyeol, his gaze fixed on the view outside the window. "Hyung?" He asked. "Were you even listening?" Minseok snapped out of his reverie and smiled quickly. "Of course! You were talking about your sister's new boyfriend, right? You don't like him?" Minseok said, frantically trying to recall the details. Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "I was talking about that, like 10 minutes ago." The giant said. Minseok smiled apologetically. "Sorry, I'm just a bit distracted." He said. 

Chanyeol nodded understandingly. "I know." The boy said. Minseok raised an eyebrow. "What, uh, what exactly do you know?" He asked, confused by the boy's response. Chanyeol turned and whispered the next words, watching the manager to make sure the man didn't hear. Thankfully, the manager seemed to be occupied by the radio. "You and Luhan hyung, you guys are having problems." Chanyeol said. Minseok swallowed. "There's nothing wrong." He said weakly. Chanyeol glanced at him, his eyes narrowed. "I don't know about that hyung. But, if you say so, I won't ask anymore questions." Chanyeol said, leaning backwards, his eyes closing. 

"Hyung." Chanyeol spoke up again after a while. Minseok turned to the taller boy, a questioning expression on his face. Chanyeol opened his eyes. "Everyone has this feeling." Chanyeol said cryptically. "What feeling?" Minseok asked, expecting a ridiculous answer, because it was Chanyeol, for heaven's sake. He was, therefore, surprised at the seriousness and solemnity of the words that were spoken next. 

"It's like the feeling before the storm; the calm before the storm. Something big is about to happen. And everyone knows it's going to be bad." 

~~~

OMO 150 subscribers!?? You guys rock! A big and sincere thank you to everyone who reads this story and comments! I know that the writing is far from perfect and it really means a lot that you guys still read it! 

Thank you, once again. 

Have a great day/night/morning! BYE!