Chapter 49*

Hidden Raindrop

Rather than celebrating the last day of school, Jaemi went straight to the gallery after class to meet up with her mother, Professor Seon, and Hyomin.

 

“Are you okay? Did anything happen to you last night?” Jaekyung asked concerned.

 

“Yeah, I’m perfectly fine. But… things did happen last night,” she paused, “My ninth tail appeared.”

 

“What?” they said simultaneously.

 

Jaemi went outside and brought L.Joe in. Everyone’s eye widen as they looked at one another.

 

“Byungho?” Hyomin spoke up.

 

Jaemi looked at them, “Um… no. His name is Byunghun, but he goes by L.Joe,” she paused, “Do you guys know each other already? How did you almost guess his name?”

 

No one responded back.

 

“Doesn’t he look like him?” Hyomin whispered to Professor Seon.

 

He slightly nodded his head.

 

“What’s going on? Who does L.Joe look like?” Jaemi asked.

 

No one responded back, but instead, they just looked at the two of them. Jaemi turned her head towards her mother, “Eomma?”

 

“Your father,” Hyomin said abruptly.

 

“L.Joe looks like my dad?” she questioned.

 

She looked over at him and scanned his face before bursting out into a small laughter, “He looks nothing like my dad.”

 

Jaekyung looked at her, “Your birth father.”

 

And suddenly, everyone was quiet.

 

 

The three of them went ahead and explained everything to Jaemi as well as L.Joe about who Byungho was and what was going on between them.

 

“So, my birth father looks like L.Joe?” Jaemi asked looking at him weirdly.

 

Jaekyung laughed, “Not exactly, but they do have some resemblance.”

 

Jaemi let out a sigh of relief.

 

L.Joe smirked as he put his arm around her and whispered, “I see you and your mother have the same taste in men.”

 

Jaemi gave him a gross look and pushed him off.

 

Jaekyung and Hyomin, who overheard, turned to one another and giggled.

 

Jaemi noticed and made a face towards them to stop, “And what about the birthmark?”

 

“I’ve never encountered anything like that before, but I’ll look into it,” Professor Seon answered.

 

Jaemi nodded her head as she looked at the time on her phone, “Okay, I need to head out first and get ready for Jaesung oppa’s graduation.”

 

Professor Seon nodded his head, “I’ll see you there.”

 

Jaemi and L.Joe was about to leave the building when Jaekyung suddenly spoke up.

 

“Can I come too?” she asked, “If that’s okay, I would like to meet your brother.”

 

Jaemi smiled brightly and nodded her head.

 

 

The doorbell rang and Jaemi came rushing downstairs, “L.Joe,” she said as she opened the door, “Wow, someone cleaned up well.”

 

 

“Don’t I always?,” he smirked, “So are you going to let me in?”

 

“Uh… yeah,” she said letting him in, “Wait, why are you here?”

 

“Going to sunbae’s graduation of course. Now go get ready.”

 

She looked at him a bit surprised, but she went ahead and ran back upstairs.

 

After an hour, Jaemi came out of her room and stood at the top of the staircase, “I’m ready!”

 

 

L.Joe looked up at her and stared in awe. She walked down, “So how do I look?” she said twirling around.

 

“I say we look pretty good together,” he joked while putting his arm around her.

 

Jaemi’s face turned slightly red as her heart began to beat faster. She faked a gross expression and pushed him off.

 

“You don’t have to deny your attraction towards me.”

 

She made a loud scoff, “Fine. I’ll admit to something, IF you tell me why you don’t want me going to the gala tomorrow.”

 

L.Joe’s smile quickly disappeared, “You talk too much, let’s go,” he said walking out the door.

 

“YA!”

 

 

They arrived at the school’s stadium.

 

“Jaemi, over here!” Kijoon called from across the room.

 

The two of them came over to see Professor Seon and Kai there as well.

 

“L.Joe?” Kai looked over at Jaemi, “Are you guys here together?”

 

“Well—”

 

“Jaemi!” Jieun called, cutting her off.

 

“Oh Jieun, what are you doing here?”

 

Before she could answer, the ceremony started.

 

 

After the ceremony ended, Jaesung came over to the family as everyone congratulated him and handed him flowers.

 

Jaemi gave her brother a huge hug, “I can’t believe you’re leaving me to go to college soon.”

 

Jaekyung suddenly stepped forward, “Jaesung.”

 

He smiled at her.

 

She smiled back and gave him a hug, “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

“Likewise. I’m glad that I got the chance to finally meet Jaemi’s mother.”

 

Suddenly, a huge crowd of under- and upperclassmen girls started to crowd around Jaesung, handing him cards and flowers. He awkwardly smiled at them, but when he noticed Jieun, he gave her a quick wink. She looked back at him and smiled shyly. Jaemi saw their whole interaction and gasped, “Noooo waaayyyy.”

 

“What,” Jieun said looking at Jaemi.

 

“You… and my brother,” she said with a huge smile.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“OOOOH, don’t lie to me. The way you two looked at each other, and WINKED? I can tell what that is a mile away,” she said hugging Jieun, “I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!”

 

 

As people started to leave the stadium, Kai couldn’t help but notice one thing—L.Joe and Jaemi. He watched them as Jaemi lightly smacked L.Joe while he laughed and ruffled her hair.

 

“Why won’t you just tell me why you don’t want me to go?” Jaemi asked again with a pout.

 

“It’s just better if you don’t know and even better if you don’t go.”

 

“Come on, just tell m—”

 

“Hey,” Kai greeted.

 

“Hey, perfect timing. Do you mind taking Jaemi home?” L.Joe asked before scurrying off.

 

“Wait—” she called, but he was already gone. She turned towards Kai, “It’s okay, I’ll just go home with my dad.”

 

He stopped her, “I actually wanted to talk to you.”

 

 

They decided to walk home, but most of the time, no one said a word. Jaemi suddenly rubbed her arms from the cold and automatically, Kai took off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulder. However, Jaemi quickly dodged, “It’s okay, I’m fine.”

 

Kai stopped and sighed as he held onto his jacket.

 

“So… how are you and Krystal?”

 

“We’re good,” he answered, but paused, “She’s a nice girl.”

 

“She is. I’m glad you two are going out. Now I don’t have to worry about whether or not the guy she’s dating is bad or not,” she giggled.

 

He gave her a small smile and they were quiet again.

 

“And you?”

 

She looked at him.

 

“I mean, you and L.Joe.”

 

“L.Joe?” she thought for a bit and laughed, “No, there’s nothing going on between us.”

 

At that moment, Kai’s heart suddenly felt light for some reason, “Oh.”

 

They soon arrived at her house, “Well, I guess I’ll see you later.”

 

Jaemi smiled and nodded her head before heading inside.

 

 

“Jaemi, I’m leaving now! You girls have fun!” Kijoon yelled from downstairs.

 

“Okay, have fun appa!”

 

Kijoon walked out the door when he noticed a bunch of boxes sitting outside, “Jaemi! There are a few packages for you downstairs! I’m just going to leave them in the living room!”

 

“Packages?” Jaemi repeated out loud to herself.

 

Jaemi, Jieun, and Krystal went downstairs to see three huge boxes wrapped up beautifully with gold ribbons.

 

“Wow,” Jieun gasped, “Did I forget your birthday or something?”

 

“No,” she laughed, “I don’t even know why they’re here.”

 

They each opened a box to reveal three beautiful gowns with heels inside.

 

“There’s a card,” Krystal said.

 

Jaemi grabbed the card and read it, “It’s from Areum’s mom.”

 

“The girl you work with? Why would her mom send you three gowns?”

 

“It’s nothing,” she said putting the card back inside.

 

Jieun and Krystal looked at one another and quickly grabbed the note.

 

“A gala?!?” they said simultaneously, “Is that the event your dad’s going to?”

 

Jaemi nodded her head.

 

“What?!? Why didn’t you tell us?,” Jieun asked, “Shouldn’t you and your brother be going?”

 

“He doesn’t like getting involved in the hotel business.”

 

“What about you?” Krystal asked.

 

She shrugged her shoulders.

 

“That doesn’t really answer our question.”

 

“I… just don’t want to go, okay?” Jaemi said angrily before running upstairs.

 

The girls were surprised and confused by her sudden action, so they decided to let Jaemi calm down first before approaching her again.

 

After an hour, Jieun and Krystal went back upstairs, “You okay?”

 

Jaemi got up, “Yeah, sorry I snapped like that.”

 

“So, why don’t you want to go?” Jieun asked.

 

“I don’t know, I just don’t think I should.”

 

Jieun and Krystal turned to look at one another, “What’s stopping you?”

 

Jaemi suddenly thought about L.Joe and what he said.

 

“Come on, it’ll be fun!” Krystal encouraged, “What are the chances that we will ever be invited to a gala again.”

 

Jieun nodded her head in agreement, “Plus, she was also kind enough to bring a dress for each of us,” she said waving one of the gowns.

 

Jaemi looked at the gown Jieun was holding and then at her friends.

 

 

Jieun and Krystal came walking into the venue.

 

 

“Come on, don’t be shy! No one is even here,” Jieun called.

 

Jaemi carefully walked in.

 

 

The girls looked at her, “You look beautiful,” Krystal praised, “Come on, let’s go in.”

 

Jaemi suddenly stopped, “You guys go in first.”

 

They nodded their heads and went in. Jaemi closed her eyes and took a deep breath, “Sorry L.Joe.”

 

She went through the door to see everyone engaging in friendly and fun conversations. Suddenly, a hand rested on Jaemi’s back. She turned to face Mrs. Lee.

 

“I’m glad you made it,” she smiled.

 

Jaemi gave her a small smile back, “Thank you for the dresses. They’re beautiful,” she said before heading over to sit next to Jieun and Krystal.

 

Chairman Lee suddenly went up to the podium and began tapping the mic, “Good evening everyone. First, I would like to thank everyone who was able to make it here today. And in the spirit of things, I would like to give an important announcement that will affect the future of Rain Hotel. Before I do that, I would like to introduce my son, Lee Byunghun, up here on stage.”

 

L.Joe then stood up from his seat and walked up to the podium to stand next to his father. Everyone began whispering to one another about what was happening.

 

Krystal choked on her drink, “L.Joe is his son?!?”

 

Jieun looked around at everyone in the room and let out a soft sigh. Jaemi, on the other hand, only had her eyes and attention focused on one person—L.Joe.

 

“My son has been working alongside with me these past few months and I have never been more proud of him. However,” Chairman Lee paused, “I am even more proud to introduce you all with us today, my son’s fiancée. Please welcome Lee Areum, heiress of the renowned Lee Tech.”

 

Everyone in the room began clapping at the huge annoucement. However, Jieun and Krystal couldn’t do anything but turn to look at Jaemi, whose face froze with her eyes were still fixed on L.Joe.

 

Areum walked up to the podium with a huge smile on her face. She stood next to L.Joe and turned to face him with a smile, but he did nothing, with his head still facing forward. He sighed from discomfort as he lifted his head up when he suddenly locked eyes with Jaemi. His eyes widen as he looked at her full of unknown mixed feelings. Unknowingly, Jaemi got up and left. In the corner, Mrs. Lee smiled to herself as she watched Jaemi leave the venue. Jieun got up, but Krystal held her back and shook her head.

 

Seeing Jaemi get up and leave, L.Joe tried to run after her, but a hand suddenly held onto him. He looked down to see his father squeezing his wrist. L.Joe looked up at him as Chairman Lee slightly shook his head. L.Joe clenched his teeth and took a step back to his position as he looked at the door, unable to do anything.

 

As Jaemi ran out, someone grabbed onto her wrist.

 

“Look, L.J—” she yelled as she turned around.

 

Mrs. Lee smiled at her.

 

Jaemi regained her composure, “Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you were—”

 

“L.Joe?”

 

Jaemi looked at her without saying anything.

 

“I hear from people and I have seen you and L.Joe around the hotel a lot. I know how close you two are, but I needed you to see the reality.”

 

“You wanted me to hear the engagement announcement,” Jaemi said looking at her, “That’s why you wanted me to come?”

 

She smiled, “I needed you to see the truth yourself. L.Joe and my daughter, they belong together. You just so happen to be in their way, so I was just doing you a favor to save the pain later on. Forget the boy, don’t waste your time because he’s engaged now. Don’t cause anymore trouble and think about standing in their way because if you do… I’ll make sure your life is miserable. Don’t think I won’t do anything to you just because you’re the Vice Chairman’s daughter. I’m still a mother after all and I will do anything—and I mean everything— for my daughter’s success. Now, why don’t you just hurry along.”

 

Jaemi stared at her while clenching her teeth as tears began to roll down her cheeks.

 

“Awh, don’t cry dear,” she said Jaemi’s hair, “I’m just saving you the trouble.”

 

Mrs. Lee smiled, “I better get back, but think about what I said, okay?”

 

Jieun and Krystal opened the door to see Mrs. Lee. She smiled at them and walked back inside. They quickly ran over to Jaemi, “Are you okay?” Krystal said wiping Jaemi’s tears.

 

“What happened? What did she say to you?” Jieun asked.

 

Jaemi lightly pushed them away, “It’s nothing.”

 

Suddenly, L.Joe ran through the door and grabbed onto Jaemi’s wrist, “Jaemi, let me explain.”

 

“Explain what. We were never together and it’s not like we ever had feelings for each other. There’s no need for you to explain anything to me,” Jaemi said, “Congratulations on your engagement.”

 

She tugged her arm away from his grip and walked out.

 

 

Jaemi was walking home when it suddenly started to rain. She looked up at the dark sky and was finally able to cry freely. She continued walking, crying in silence when a car suddenly stopped next to her, “Jaemi?”

 

She turned to see JB in his car, but continued walking her way.

 

“Jaemi, what are you doing out here in the rain wearing that?”

 

She ignored him and continued. He slowly drove next to her, “Jaemi, get in the car. I’ll take you home.”

 

“I don’t want to go home.”

 

“Okay, but at least get out of the rain first.”

 

“Why? I like the rain.”

 

“You never liked the rain, now get in the car.”

 

“No.”

 

JB stopped his car and got out to grab Jaemi, “Are you crying?”

 

Before she responded, she quickly pushed him, but the two kept fighting back and forth.

 

“Let go of me! LET GO! LEAVE ME ALONE!”

 

“Jaemi, please stop fighting.”

 

She eventually fell to the floor crying while JB held onto her. She sat there hitting his chest with her fist weakly. He sighed and carried her up, “Come on.”

 

 

She took a shower and wore JB’s clothes while sitting on the couch staring into space. When JB finished his shower, he walked over and sat down beside her. He looked at her as she tried to hold back her tears, “What happened?” he asked.

 

Jaemi turned to face him as tears began to roll down her cheeks again. She looked at him a bit longer before closing her eyes shut as more tears came rushing down. JB pulled her into his chest as he her head.


She began to cry softly, “I don’t know why I’m feeling this way. It just hurts so much. I don’t know… I don’t know what to do.”