Chapter 46*

Hidden Raindrop

Days passed and with a blink of an eye, two weeks quickly flew by. During those weeks, Jaekyung and Jaemi slowly got to know each other and with her additional help, Jaemi also had more support in finding out her special skill. And with those weeks gone, Jaemi and her friends were also two weeks closer to finishing the school year.

 

 

He leaned in closer—

 

Jaemi opened her eyes and whined in distress, “I can’t focus, I just can’t. I focus for a few seconds then I get distracted a second later with another thought.”

 

“Another thought?” Jaekyung repeated as she looked at Hyomin, “What did you see?”

 

Jaemi looked at them awkwardly and quickly looked away.

 

Hyomin stared at her, “It’s about a boy, isn’t it?” she teased.

 

Jaemi coughed, “Let me try to focus again,” she said closing her eyes.

 

Hyomin squatted in front of her, “Tell us! It could mean something.”

 

Jaemi opened her eyes to look at her then looked down, “It’s just this guy I know from school and work. He keeps popping up in my head every time my mind is cleared.”

 

“Does he say or do anything in those thoughts?”

 

Jaemi’s eyes wandered, “It’s too embarrassing to say,” she said getting up.

 

Hyomin laughed, “I can’t be that bad.”

 

Jaemi looked at the two of them and turned away, “He kisses me.”

 

“Ooo,” Hyomin teased, “Have any of those thoughts ever happened?”

 

“What? No! Never!”Jaemi denied, but paused, “I mean, I don’t know. I was always asleep in those thoughts. And… I don’t know why, but they somehow felt really real like it happened before or something. Who knows, maybe it’s just my mind playing tricks on me. I mean, I do see him every day — at school and at work. Maybe I just think I like him because I hang around with him too much.”

 

“Awh, someone has a crush,” she teased again.

 

“Retrocognition,” Jaekyung said.

 

Hyomin turned to her with her eyes widen.

 

Jaemi looked at the two of them, “What?”

 

Jaekyung walked over, “Sit down and close your eyes. Now, try to remember something — anything — that happened on the day you came over and cooked for me for the first time.”

 

(Imagine this scene being sped up)

The ajumma laughed, “Your girlfriend is so cute. You should buy one for her,” she said to L.Joe.

 

She looked at L.Joe and quickly back at her, “Ani, I’m not—”

 

L.Joe placed his arm around her shoulder, “She is, isn’t she?”

 

Jaemi turned to face him without realizing how close his face was. She blushed and quickly turned away.

 

He smiled, “Gaja!”

 

The ajumma smiled, “What a cute couple.”

 

Jaemi’s eye shot open as her breathing became heavier.

 

“Did you remember anything?” Jaekyung asked.

 

She slowly nodded her head and looked at her mom straight in the eye, “Every single detail… and even a scene that I wasn’t even there to hear.”

 

Jaekyung and Hyomin smiled, “You have retrocognition.”

 

She looked at them again, “What is that?”

 

“It’s almost like a psychic ability where you are able to 'see' an event that has already happened in the past. However, it’s probably only limited to yourself. As long as the event happened around you—whether or not you see it or hear it—you are able to think back and play those events over in your head.”

 

Jaemi hesitated, “So… you’re saying that the thoughts I have been having… they already happened?” she questioned.

 

 

Jaemi was laying on her bed when she quickly sat up in frustration, “So do I like him or was it just my skill in the way?” she questioned while falling back on her bed, “UGHHHH!”

 

She sat back up, “Wait… why would he even kiss me all those times? How many times was it?”

 

She lifted her fingers and counted silently, “Two? On the roof and in the car? No, three. The film we did counted too, right?”

 

A smile appeared on Jaemi’s face as she grabbed a pillow and hid her face from embarrassment, “I can’t believe he kissed me. And I can’t believe that ajumma called us a ‘cute couple’.”

 

“Oh my gosh,” she exclaimed while touching her lips, “He took my first kiss,” but she soon smiled again from embarrassment.

 

 

Jaemi sat in her seat, shaking her legs while her eyes wandered around.

 

“Hey Jaemi,” JB and Jieun greeted as they walked in.

 

“Huh? Oh hey,” she said staring back at the door without looking at them.

 

Jieun looked at her, “Is everything okay? You look nervous or something.”

 

“Hm?” Jaemi answered before looking back at them and shook her head.

 

L.Joe soon walked in and Jaemi sat up straight as she watched him walk past her to his seat. The class went on like normal, but Jaemi couldn’t stop making quick glances at him every couple minutes, waiting for something to happen.

 

Class ended and everyone started to walk out.

 

“Aren’t you going?” JB asked.

 

“You guys go ahead.”

 

She sat there waiting for L.Joe to leave, but once he got up, he walked straight out without looking at her. She turned back to look at him and pouted. After a while, she sighed and got up to leave.

 

And unfortunately, the next few days were exactly the same with L.Joe making no interactions or glances at her in any way.

 

 

Jaemi was sitting in an empty conference room doing her work when she suddenly threw her pen down onto the table and began ruffling her hair like crazy, “Why is he always on my mind!?! Should I just tell him?”

 

“Tell who what?” Areum said, peeking her head in.

 

Startled, Jaemi sat up straight while organizing her papers, “Huh?” she began fake laughing, “What are you doing here?”

 

Areum walked in and laid her head down, “My dad is discussing something with Chairman Lee, but they won’t tell me anything about it,” she lifted her head and whispered, “And I heard I’m part of the plan.”

 

Jaemi laughed at her.

 

She sighed and got up, “Well, I’ll let you get back to your work. I need to do a few things for my dad.”

 

Once Areum left, Jaemi noticed her father walking by. She quickly jolted up and ran to the door, “Appa!”

 

Kijoon turned around and gave her a face in a joking matter.

 

“I mean Vice Chairman Um,” Jaemi coughed, “Do you happen to know where L.Joe is?”

 

He laughed, “I think I saw him walking towards Chairman Lee’s office.”

 

“Chairman Lee’s office? Isn’t Areum’s dad in there?” she whispered to herself, “Okay, thanks appa! I mean… Vice Chairman Um.”

 

She went back to her seat and leaned back, but she suddenly shot back up. Jaemi thought for a bit and got up to leave.

 

She turned the corner to head down Chairman Lee’s office and saw Mr. Lee walk out just in time. He nodded his head with a smile as he walked by and Jaemi did the same. However, she suddenly stopped and slightly turned back to look at him. Jaemi quickly looked away and went back towards Chairman Lee’s office. Before she got to the door, she heard yelling and suddenly stopped.

 

“That was not part of the plan!” L.Joe hollered.

 

“Just listen to me—”

 

“NO! I’m not going through with it.”

 

“What I said is final,” he declared firmly.

 

“Appa!”

 

“Appa?” Jaemi whispered.

 

Chairman Lee slammed his hands onto the desk causing her to slightly jumped from surprise.

 

“Don’t make this any harder,” he said sternly.

 

L.Joe stared at him and stormed out of his office, but he suddenly stopped when he saw Jaemi by the door.

 

She jumped back as they both made eye contact. She quickly looked away “I… um—”

 

Before she could even start, L.Joe was already storming his way down the hall.

 

She watched him walk away and began to think again, “Appa?” Jaemi closed her eyes and began to focus.

 

Chairman Lee smiled, “If only my son was like you.”

 

“Son?”

 

“Yeah son. He’s your age, but he wants nothing to do with the company. I tried to talk to him many times, but it’s quite hard since we don’t see each other often.”

 

“I don’t mean to pry, but what is your son’s name?”

 

“Lee Byunghun. Do you know him?”


She opened her eyes, “Lee Byunghun is L.Joe?”

 


Spring semester is starting in less than a week T__T