Chapter 47*

Hidden Raindrop

The next day at work, Jaemi noticed L.Joe in the halls. She walked by him, but he walked right pass her as if she were a total stranger. Frustrated, she turned around and called him out. He stopped and turned to face her.

 

“Are you avoiding me?”

 

“Ani,” he said turning back around.

 

“YA!”

 

He turned again, “What.”

 

“Why are you suddenly treating me like a stranger?”

 

He looked at her, “It’s not like we were close to begin with.”

 

“I thought we—” she stopped, “Okay, fine. Then how can we be close.”

 

L.Joe walked closer to her with his expressionless face, “Should we exchange secrets?”

 

“Secrets?” she repeated.

 

He nodded his head with a smirk.

 

She thought for a bit, “I can’t think of anything.”

 

“One word. It can be anything, like who you are, or what you are… anything,” he hinted at her.

 

She looked at him and thought for a bit, “Gumiho. I’m a gumiho,” she smiled.

 

“Bingo,” he said, “You’re correct.”

 

She looked at him in confusion, “What? You know I was joking, right?”

 

He looked back at her, “Were you?”

 

Jaemi opened , but no words came out.

 

He chuckled.

 

She stared at him again intensely and asked, “How did you know?”

 

“There were clues here and there, but what really sealed the deal was when I overheard you and some man talking after class,” he said, but suddenly paused, “And… I think Suzy may have been eavesdropping too.”

 

“Suzy?”

 

He nodded his head.

 

 

“I can’t believe we are finishing school in just a few days!” Krystal exclaimed, “Goodbye old seniors and hello to us—the new seniors are taking over!”

 

Jaemi laughed, but noticed Jieun was a bit down from what Krystal said.

 

“What’s wr—”

 

Crash!

 

Jaemi turned to see Suzy on the floor with two guys pointing and laughing at her. Everyone around had their mouths covered, trying to hold in their laughter.

 

“What happened to her? I thought everyone feared her?”

 

“Yeah, fearED. Emphasis on the E-D,” Krystal answered.

 

She looked at her confused.

 

“Ever since that day she called you a freak and ‘not human’, everyone at school think she’s crazy. Even her minions ditched her.”

 

Jieun nodded her head in agreement.

 

“Oh… Wait, how do you know? You weren’t even here when that happened.”

 

“Jieun told me.”

 

Jieun lifted her shoulders and smiled.

 

Jaemi scoffed, “You two.”

 

Suzy let out a sigh as she picked up all her stuff back into her backpack. Suddenly, a person came next to her to help. Suzy turned to see Jaemi and froze as she looked at her in shock. Jaemi looked back at her and smiled. Once they finished, Jaemi got up and gave her a hand. Suzy looked at it in disbelief, but accepted it as she got up.

 

“Thanks,” she said awkwardly before walking away.

 

“Wait, why don’t—why don’t you come sit with us?” Jaemi offered.

 

Suzy looked at her again in disbelief.

 

 

Both Krystal and Jieun looked at each other then straight at Suzy, who was sitting next to Jaemi.

 

JB soon came and sat down next to Krystal, “Hey guys—” he stopped and stared at Suzy.

 

She looked down awkwardly.

 

He turned to look at everyone else, “Uh… did I miss something? What’s going on?”

 

Jaemi snapped her fingers and whispered loudly, “Guys, snap out of it. She’s not a zoo animal, stop staring at her like that.”

 

Krystal and Jieun looked at him and shrugged their shoulders.

 

 

Jieun laid her head down on the library table as she began thinking and let out a sad sigh. Suddenly, a face popped in front of her.

 

She quickly sat up straight, “Sunbae.”

 

Jaesung laughed, “Are you studying?”

 

“Kind of?” she answered nervously, “Are you?”

 

He lifted up the book in his hand.

 

“College entrance exams,” she nodded her head, “Right.”

 

He nodded his head in agreement and it became silent. Jaesung looked around and grabbed Jieun’s hand, “Follow me.”

 

He led her up to the top floor and took her to the very back of the library where there was a big window.

 

She stopped, “Wow…” she said in awe as she slowly walked closer.

 

“It’s a nice view, isn’t it?”

 

She nodded, “Yeah… I didn’t even know this part of the library existed.”

 

He laughed, “Well, not a lot of people check out children's books in a high school library,” he said showing her one of the books.

 

She chuckled as he placed the book back. He walked over next to her as they both turned to face the window again.

 

It was quiet for a bit until Jaesung spoke up, “For some reason, this place makes my heart feel at ease. Like, all the feelings I have buried underneath is able to breath again.”

 

Jieun froze without making any movements except for her eyes, wandering around in awkwardness. She turned to smile at him, “Um… I think I should go,” she said walking away.

 

As Jieun walked into the elevator, Jaesung turned around and watched the door as it slowly closed.

 

 

Krystal came running into campus when she suddenly bumped into someone. He caught her and smiled. She lightly pushed him away.

 

“We’ve got to stop meeting like this,” Kai joked.

 

Krystal laughed, “Sorry about that.”

 

“Krystal, right?”

 

She nodded her head.

 

“Well, Krystal. I know this might be a bit straightforward, but would you like to hang out after school?”

 

She smiled and nodded, “Yeah, I’ll like that.”

 

“Great, I’ll meet you at the gates then,” he smiled as he walked away.

 

Krystal stood there blushing, but she suddenly remembered, “Wait, I never got your—” she turned to see no one there, “name.”

 

 

While Kai was walking to class, he bumped into Jaemi.

 

“Hey, I haven’t talked to you in a while.”

 

Jaemi lightly chuckled, “I know and we have every class together. Um… how have you been? How’s your uncle?”

 

“Good, good. How are you and… being gumiho?”

 

“Yeah, I’m good,” she giggled then paused, “It’s not just me feeling the awkward tension, right?”

 

He laughed out loud, “I’m glad you noticed that too.”

 

“Well, we did date and now we are friends who haven’t talked in awhile, so I would have expected some awkwardness.”

 

He agreed in laughter.

 

“Well, I have to go and meet a friend. I’ll see you in class,” she said leaving.

 

“Oh, by the way,” he called.

 

She turned towards him.

 

“It’s nothing big, but I thought I would just tell you. But, I’m seeing someone later today and I hope you don’t hate me for moving on too fast or anything like that.”

 

“Oh, no,” she smiled, “No, I’m glad you’re seeing someone. In fact… I’m really happy for you. She’s a lucky girl, I hope you guys hit it off.”

 

He smiled back at her, “Thanks, I hope the same for you.”

 

 

“Why are you standing in the middle of the hall?” Jaemi asked, walking in front of Krystal, “And why do you look TOO happy?”

 

“EPPPP!” she exclaimed, “That one cute guy just asked me out and we’re meeting after school today!”

 

Jaemi thought about what Krystal said and suddenly thought of Kai, but she quickly shrugged it off.

 

“YAY!” she said jumping up and down with her, “Who is he?”

 

“I forgot to ask, again… OH, but he just walked towards the same direction you were going. He was the only person I saw walking towards you, so… maybe you might have bumped into him?”

 

Jaemi thought of Kai again, “That’s your ‘cute guy’?” she questioned.

 

“Yeah, oh my gosh. Do you know him?” she asked with her eyes full of hope.

 

Jaemi’s face suddenly went dark and it was quiet.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

She looked at Krystal, “No. I don’t know him,” she fibbed.

 

“You sure?”

 

She forced a smiled, “Yeah, I’m sure.”

 

“Awh, boo. I guess I’ll be going on a date with a guy who’s name I don’t even know,” she sighed, “Oh well, I’ll see you after class!”

 

Krystal walked off after giving Jaemi a hug. Once she left, Jaemi’s smiled disappeared as she turned around and sighed to herself.

 

 

“She’s going out with who now?” Jieun questioned.

 

“Are you sure?” JB asked.

 

Suzy looked at Jaemi, “Wait, so one of your best friends is going to go on a date with your ex today?”

 

“Well, ‘ex’,” she quoted, “But technically, yes. I’m sorry JB.”

 

“Why are you sorry for me? Krystal and I ended on good terms,” he said, “If anyone, it’s you we feel sorry for. Kai and you may have ended on good terms as well, but I can still sense a weird tension between you two.”

 

“Does she know?” Jieun asked.

 

“Not a clue.”

 

“Are you going to tell her?” Suzy questioned after.

 

“No, I can’t. None of you guys can.”

 

“But she’s going to find out today, eventually.”

 

“I know, I know. I just need more time to think about this,” Jaemi looked up to see Krystal walking over, “Remember, no one say a word.”

 

Everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

 

Krystal came over and sat down, “Hey guys, I got stuck on doing some classwork. Do you think you can help me?”

 

“Yeah, I’ll go with you,” Jaemi volunteered.

 

“I’ll come too. For moral support,” Jieun said eyeing Jaemi.

 

The three of them got up and left, but Suzy noticed JB staring at one of them intensely before continuing to eat his lunch again.

 

She stared at him and after awhile, he finally noticed her staring and looked around, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“You love her, don’t you?”

 

He continued eating, “What? No, not like that. We broke up—”

 

“I’m talking about Jaemi.”

 

JB suddenly stopped and sat up straight, “Why would you assume that?”

 

“I’m not assuming. I look at people and I can get a feeling. It’s called intuition,” she smiled as she continued to eat again.

 

Unable to answer her back, JB just watched her and scoffed.

 

 

“Do you guys want to hang out?” Jaemi asked.

 

JB, Jieun, and Suzy looked at each other and agreed.

 

While inside a cafe, Suzy noticed JB looking at Jaemi in sympathy.

 

“I’m going to use the restroom,” Jieun informed.

 

“I’ll come too,” Suzy said.

 

Jieun looked at Jaemi then at Suzy and nervously nodded her head. Suzy gave her a smile and patted JB’s shoulder with a grin.

 

“What was that?” Jaemi asked when they walked away.

 

JB lifted his shoulders, “I don’t know,” he fibbed.

 

 

Jieun walked out of the restroom stall and nervously looked at Suzy, who was fixing her hair. Jieun washed her hands and Suzy turned to face her.

 

“I know you’re still scared of me, but you don’t have to worry about that anymore,” she said to reassure her, “And I truly want to apologize for everything I have done to you in the past few years. I know you won’t forgive me right away, but—”

 

Suddenly, Suzy felt a warm embrace, “I forgive you. Everyone deserves a second chance,” Jieun smiled.

 

Suzy smiled back. Jieun was about to walk out of the bathroom, but Suzy stopped her, “Wait.”

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I think we should give JB and Jaemi some alone time.”

 

Jieun looked at her confused, but then she realized, “Wait, JB…”

 

Suzy nodded her head, “I’m pretty sure.”

 

 

Kai and Krystal were inside the bakery getting to know one another when suddenly she stopped laughing. She took another look at Kai’s jacket.

 

He looked at her, “What’s wrong?”

 

She stared at his name tag, “Jongin?”

 

He laughed, “Right, I never told you my name. But yeah, my birth name is Jongin, but no one calls me that.”

 

“Oh, what do they call you then?”

 

“Kai.”

 

Krystal froze.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

“You’re… really Kai?”

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

“Um… nothing. It’s nothing, but I have to go,” she said grabbing all her things, “Sorry.”

 

Krystal ran out of the bakery before Kai could stop her.

 

 

After a long while, Jieun and Suzy finally came out of the bathroom.

 

Jaemi looked at them, “What took so long?”

 

Jieun laughed, “Nothing, we just had a small talk,” she said looking at her phone, “But, I should be getting home now.”

 

Suzy looked at her and grinned, “I should be getting home too. I’ll walk with you.”

 

Jaemi got up, “Well, we can just all leave—”

 

Jieun quickly grabbed Suzy’s arm and ran out of the cafe, “BYE!”

 

JB, who was also confused, watched the two of them walk out, but they suddenly turned towards him at the window and gave him both a thumbs up. His mouth slightly opened in shock as he made a face at them.

 

Jaemi sat back down, “What was that?” she asked but suddenly noticed JB’s face, “What’s with the face?” she laughed.

 

JB smiled at her awkwardly.

 

 

JB and Jaemi were walking back to her house at night. While standing slightly behind her, he couldn’t help but look at her hand swinging back and forth. He slowly got closer and unknowingly went forward to hold her hand. However, Jaemi suddenly turned to face JB and he quickly pulled back.

 

“By the way,” she began, “Why aren’t you telling us who this mystery girl is?”

 

“What?”

 

“The one you like.”

 

They arrived at her house, but JB didn’t say a word.

 

“Well, I’m sure any girl would like you, but I really do hope she like you back,” she smiled, “Thanks for being a great friend.”


She gave him a hug and went inside. He sighed to himself, “I hope so too.”

 


I can't believe L.Joe might be leaving Teen Top T___T. Fingers crossed that he will stay.