Chapter 31*

Hidden Raindrop

Just like any other school day before, Jaemi and Jieun hung out together at lunch.

 

“So what’s it like being the vice-boss!”

 

“I’m not the boss! I’m just temporarily working for my dad.”

 

“Yeah, yeah same thing. So… what’s Chairman Lee like?” Jieun asked shyly.

 

“He’s a very nice man. Why?”

 

“Just curious, that’s all. I heard he has kids.”

 

“Yeah, twins I think. One son and one daughter. Pretty rare!”

 

“Really. Have you heard anything about them?”

 

“Not really, but I heard that he hasn’t seen his daughter since she was a little girl. When he and his wife got divorced, I heard they kept one child each. So he has the son and his ex-wife has the daughter. No one in the company really talks about it anymore since it’s a pretty sensitive subject for Chairman Lee. Quite interesting actually. Don’t you think?”

 

“Yeah… interesting.”

 

“I wonder how the daughter is doing now.”

 

Jieun smiled, “Yeah, me too.”

 

 

After school, Jaemi and Jieun walked out of school together until they were stopped.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hi, Kai,” Jaemi said back.

 

“Are you busy Friday?”

 

Jaemi shook her head.

 

“How about we go on a date?”

 

“A date?”

 

“Yeah, I figured we haven’t gone on one officially yet.”

 

Jaemi tried to hold in her smile, “Yeah of course, Friday.”

 

Once Kai left, Jieun looked at Jaemi.

 

“You and Kai? Kai and you?”

 

Jaemi nodded her head.

 

“Oh my gosh, why didn’t you tell me when we were updating each other earlier! You have to tell me everything tomorrow!”

 

“Okay, okay, I will!”

 

“You better!” Jieun said as she walked home.

 

Jaemi waved goodbye and continued walking her way, but was soon approached by someone.

 

“Someone’s so busy that they don’t have time to hang out with me anymore,” JB sighed.

 

“JB! I’m sorry, why don’t we hang out soon!”

 

“How about now?”

 

JB pulled Jaemi’s hand and they both ran out of the school’s campus.

 

 

Jaemi and JB hung out the whole day until it was nighttime.

 

“I’m glad you came to Korea,” Jaemi said.

 

“I’m glad that you’re glad.”

 

Jaemi chuckled and looked up at the sky. Right when she looked up, the sky cleared and the moon was shining down. Jaemi stopped and stared at the moon, almost possessed. JB was still walking, but stopped when he didn’t see Jaemi beside him.

 

JB turned around, “Jaemi?”

 

Jaemi didn’t respond. She continued to look at the sky, mesmerized. Suddenly, her eyes turned blue and her eight tails appeared.

 

“Jaemi…” JB called, “Are you okay? What’s going on?”

 

Before he knew it, Jaemi went back to normal and collapsed.

 

JB quickly ran to her, “JAEMI! Jaemi, are you okay? Say something! Jaemi!”

 

 

Jaemi woke up to an unfamiliar room.

 

“Thank goodness, you’re awake,” JB said, “How are you? Let me get you some water.”

 

“I’m fine, but where am I? And what happened?”

 

“You’re in my apartment,” JB answered as he gave Jaemi a cup of water.

 

“And I saw… something.”

 

Jaemi took a sip of water, “Saw what?”

 

JB paused, “Your eyes… your tails?”

 

Jaemi froze. “W—what? What are you talking about,” she stuttered.

 

“Jaemi, what are you not telling me? You know you can trust me.”

 

She let out a sigh and thought for a moment, “I’m a—I’m a gumiho?”

 

Jaemi spent the next hour or so explaining to JB about everything.

 

“Wow. So that explains the English when I first came here and your last name Gu.”

 

Jaemi smacked JB’s arm and laughed, “That’s seriously all you got from that?”

 

“I’m kidding! And don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me. And if you need anything, just let me know okay?”

 

Jaemi smile and nodded.

 

 

“So you like Kai?” Jieun asked, “Like, like like him.”

 

“I think so, yeah.”

 

“EPPPPP!” Jieun screamed.

 

Everyone turned to look at her.

 

“Oops,” she whispered, “So, when did this all start?”

 

“I guess for quite awhile now. I mean look at him,” Jaemi said looking at Kai, “He’s handsome, he’s kind, he’s generous, he’s intelligent, he’s honest, he’s thoughtful, he’s funny—”

 

“Yes, yes, he’s perfect for you,” Jieun said cutting her off, “That’s why I have a new mission!”

 

“What mission?”

 

“Operation: Get Jaemi and Kai together!”

 

“Ha ha, real funny!”

 

 

After school, Jaemi walked out of school to be approached by someone again.

 

“I guess you followed my advice,” L.Joe said.

 

“I was not following your advice. I did it because I wanted to, not because you convinced me to.”

 

“Alright, say whatever makes you feel better,” he said walking off.

 

She scoffed and continued her way back home.

 

 

It was nighttime, but there was a knock on the door.

 

“Monk Seon, what are you doing here?” Jaesung asked.

 

“I need to talk to Jaemi. I was in the neighborhood, so I decided I would drop by. Sorry I didn’t call ahead.”

 

“No, it’s okay. You’re are welcome here anytime, come in. Let me call her down.”

 

 

“Monk Seon, is something wrong?” Jaemi asked.

 

“I need to talk to you about Friday night.”

 

“Why? What’s happening that day?”

 

“The full moon,” Monk Seon responded, “I’m not sure if anything will happen, but you still need to be careful. You revealed yourself to regular moonlight and luckily, JB was the only person around to see it. We can’t risk you revealing yourself in public again.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“Good, I just wanted to let you know,” he said getting up.

 

Jaemi walked Monk Seon out the door.

 

“Monk Seon!” Jaemi called thinking about asking him about Kai.

 

“Yes?”

 

She thought about it again and changed her mind, “Nevermind, have a good night Monk Seon.”

 

“Goodnight Jaemi,” he said back, “Oh, and one more thing Jaemi, I’m not a monk anymore.”


Her eyes widened as he walked away, “Not a monk anymore?” she repeated.

 


Happy Father's Day! <3