Chapter 48*

Hidden Raindrop

Suzy and Jieun were having a casual conversation until someone sat down and just stared at them.

 

“Seriously?” JB finally spoke up.

 

They both laughed, “So… how was it?” Suzy asked.

 

Before JB could say anything back, Krystal walked over, “Where’s Jaemi?”

 

“I don’t know, she didn’t come with us.”

 

Krystal walked away, but stopped and turned to face them, “You guys knew, didn’t you?”

 

“Knew what?” JB asked.

 

“Kai.”

 

They all looked at each other.

 

Krystal shook her head and walked away. She began wandering around campus looking for Jaemi, but she couldn’t find her anywhere. She eventually bumped into Kai and L.Joe instead.

 

“Krystal,” Kai called, “What happened yester—”

 

“Do you know where Jaemi is?” she cut him off.

 

“Jaemi? You know her?” he questioned.

 

L.Joe looked at them in confusion.

 

“Do you know where she could be?”

 

Kai shook his head. Krystal sighed and walked away, but L.Joe stayed behind, “I think I know where she might be.”

 

 

Krystal walked up to the rooftop of the school. She looked around and saw Jaemi sitting on the bench.

 

“Hey.”

 

Jaemi turned around, “Krystal? How did you—”

 

“L.Joe told me.”

 

She nodded her head as Krystal walked over and sat down beside her. They were quiet, waiting for someone to speak up first.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me the truth?” Krystal asked, “That he was Kai.”

 

Jaemi turned to face her, “You were really happy.”

 

“But if it made you uncomfortable, you should have told me.”

 

“But it didn’t.”

 

“What?”

 

Jaemi smiled, “After sitting up here for a bit, I realized I wasn’t uncomfortable—at all. I was just shocked. Surprised, maybe? I mean what are the chances that my best friend is now dating the guy I use to date,” she laughed, “It’s a small world.”

 

“So—”

 

“Yes. I’m really happy you two are going out.”

 

Krystal looked at her with doubt.

 

Jaemi laughed, “I’m being serious. I really am happy for the two of you and knowing how you two are like, I know you guys will hit it off. Therefore, I am now officially the first to ship Kaistal.”

 

Krystal gave her a look, but they soon both burst into laughter.

 

 

Kai was walking around until a door opened, “Jaemi! Do you know—” but suddenly, the door opened again and Krystal came out, “Krystal.”

 

Krystal stared at him in shock, but all Jaemi did was laugh and smile, “I’ll leave you two to talk.”

 

Kai watched her as she walked away, but turned back to face Krystal, “I didn’t know you two were friends.”

 

“Best friends,” Krystal corrected him, “Back in America.”

 

Kai stood there unable to say anything as he tried to process everything, “Wait… Is that why—”

 

She nodded her head.

 

“And she’s okay with it?”

 

She nodded again and smiled, “Yeah. She’s genuinely happy,” she said watching Jaemi.

 

 

Jaemi was on her way to the cafeteria when L.Joe suddenly appeared, “Are you okay?”

 

She looked at him, a bit confused.

 

“You were on the rooftop, right?”

 

“Oh, yeah I’m fine. I just needed a little thinking,” but suddenly a mischievous smile appeared on her face, “You must care for me.”

 

He scoffed, “You heard about the celebratory gala this weekend, right?”

 

Jaemi nodded, “Yeah, my dad told me about it. I’m excited—”

 

“Don’t go.”

 

She looked at him confused, “Why not?”

 

“Just promise me you won’t go.”

 

She looked at how serious he was and saw the concern in his eyes. She couldn’t argue back for some reason, so instead, she nodded her head in agreement.

 

He smiled at her, “I’ll see you later then.”

 

As he walked away, all Jaemi could think about was why he didn’t want her to go.

 

 

After school, Jieun went to the library again and sat in the corner, sighing to herself. After some time, she got up and went to the elevator. When she reached the top floor, she went over to the spot Jaesung showed her, but he was already standing there alone. She quickly stopped midway and turned around.

 

“You don’t have to leave,” Jaesung said.

 

Jieun awkwardly turned back around and walked over to stand next to him. They were both quiet, staring out the window.

 

“I’m graduating tomorrow.”

 

Jieun nodded her head, “Yeah… I know.”

 

“You know what I regret the most?” he asked her.

 

She turned and looked at him.

 

“I never told the girl I liked about my feelings.”

 

Her face grew gloomy as she turned away, “Why didn’t you tell her?”

 

He paused for a bit, “I wasn’t sure about her feelings towards me. Either way, it’s too late now.”

 

Suddenly, Jieun’s sadness grew into anger as she turned to face him again, “Sunbae, it’s never too late. If you truly like this girl, go after her. Don’t just stand here and dwell on your own regret. Whether she likes you back or not, it’s better to know how she truly feels about you than never knowing at all. Don’t let this regret grow even more. Go out there and find her, and tell her how you really feel. Any girl would be lucky to be with you. I want you to be happy, not holding onto regrets. So… don’t give up so easily.”

 

Jaesung didn’t say a word as he lowered his eyes. She let out a quiet sigh and walked away.

 

“I like you,” he said.

 

Jieun stopped and froze. She slowly turned around, “W—what?”

 

Jaesung let out a soft sigh and turned to face her as their eyes met. Jieun chuckled nervously, “I—I think I heard wrong—”

 

Before she could finish her sentence, he came rushing over and held onto face. Next thing she knew, their lips touched. Jieun’s eyes widen from the sudden action, but soon, she closed them and returned the kiss.

 

He pulled back and looked into her eyes again. She did the same and chuckled as she lowered her head.

 

“So does that mean you like me back?” he teased.

 

She tried holding back her smile as she lightly hit his chest.

 

He chuckled and carefully pulled her in for a hug. She smiled and hugged him back with a big grin.

 

 

Jaemi walked into the hotel and went up to her father’s office.

 

“Guess who made you lunch!” Jaemi said carrying in a lunch box.

 

“Wow, my daughter can cook?” he joked.

 

“Haha, very funny,” she said unpacking, “Come and eat!”

 

He came over and sat down, “Mmm,” he looked at her surprise after he took a bite.

 

“You doubted me?”

 

Kijoon laughed, “Did you get a dress for the gala yet?”

 

“I don’t think I’m going.”

 

“Why not?”

 

She stalled for a bit, “The girls and I are having a girls night.”

 

“Oh, well I can’t stop girls night,” he laughed.

 

Jaemi smiled and laughed along with him.

 

 

Jaemi was about to leave when Areum and a lady suddenly approached her.

 

“Jaemi!” she called, “Meet my mother, Mrs. Lee. Mother, this is my friend Jaemi that I have been telling you about.”

 

Jaemi bowed to her.

 

“Ah, so you are the famous Jaemi I have been hearing about.”

 

Jaemi blushed.

 

“Well, I better get going,” Areum said, “I’ll see you at celebratory gala!”

 

“Oh, I don’t think I’m going.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Areum!” Mr. Lee called from afar.

 

“I better go, but you have to go to the gala, okay?” she said before leaving, “Let’s go mom!”

 

“You go ahead, I want to talk to Jaemi for a bit.”

 

Areum looked at her mom oddly, but nodded her head before leaving.

 

Jaemi smiled at her, “It’s nice to finally meet you Mrs. Lee.”

 

She gave her a small smile, “You should really come to the gala.”

 

“I don’t know… I think it’s better if I just stay home.”

 

“Did L.Joe tell you not to go?” she asked.

 

Jaemi’s eyes slightly widen, “How did you—”

 

“Don’t listen to that boy. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. You should really come. And bring your friends too! It’ll be fun… and quite interesting.”

 

“I don’t know—”

 

“Think about it, okay?” she said touching Jaemi’s shoulder, “I hope to see you there.”

 

 

Kai was over at L.Joe’s place when he suddenly got a call from his uncle.

 

“Full moon?” Kai repeated, “Okay, okay. I’ll go look for her.”

 

He hung up, “I got to go.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“I just need to look for someone.”

 

“Is it Jaemi?”

 

Kai stopped and looked at him.

 

“I know.”

 

Kai scanned his face and paused for a bit, “How?” he questioned.

 

“That’s not important right now. What did your uncle say about the full moon?”

 

“There’s one tonight, but for some reason, no one can get ahold of her.”

 

He sighed, “Alright. We better hurry then, night’s about to hit soon.”

 

They both rushed out the door to see Jieun, JB, Krystal, and Suzy standing right outside the door about to knock.

 

 

“Where would she be?” Kai asked, “Jieun, you’re her best friend, right? Do you know where she might be?”

 

She shrugged her shoulders, “We’re usually at her house or the cafe. Krystal? JB? You’re her best friends too. Do you know?”

 

They both shook their heads, “Back in America, maybe. But here… I have no clue.”

 

JB nodded in agreement.

 

Krystal turned to Kai, “You dated her before, shouldn’t you know?”

 

“I mean… yeah,” he answered a bit flustered, “But, I don’t know where she would run off to.”

 

“Wait, remind me again why we’re looking for her,” Suzy questioned, “I don’t understand why we’re running around. It’s not like she’s in danger or anything, right?”

 

“It’s kind of complicated,” JB answered.

 

“Okay, standing here and asking each other questions on where she might be isn’t going to help or find her any faster,” L.Joe said looking at everyone, “Why don’t we split up, and Suzy… why don’t you go with JB since you don’t really know what’s going on.”

 

“He’s right,” Kai agreed, “Just send us a text if you find her to let us know if she’s okay or not.”

 

Everyone nodded and splitted ways.

 

 

JB and Suzy were running around while going in and out of every store when she suddenly stopped, “Why don’t you tell her?”

 

“What?” he questioned while still running up ahead.

 

She caught up to him, “About how you feel.”

 

“You know, this isn’t the right time for you to ask me about this.”

 

“Well, I think it’s the perfect time, so talk. Why hide it?”

 

JB stopped and sighed, “Because I know she only sees me as a friend, a brother,” he turned to face her, “And nothing more.”

 

“But don’t you want to at least let her know how you feel?”

 

“We have been friends since we were kids. Longer than we’ve known Krystal for. The friendship we have—it’s more valuable to me than how I ‘feel’. I’m not going to ruin that with some… ‘feelings’ I might have. Besides, as long as she’s happy, I will be too. I don’t need to be with her in order to be happy. To me, our friendship is good enough.”

 

Suzy looked at him for a long time.

 

“What?”

 

She smiled, “Nothing. Let’s go look for her,” she said walking up ahead.

 

Suddenly, JB received a text, “Good news, they already found Jaemi,” he told Suzy.

 

 

While running around like everyone else, L.Joe suddenly remembered something. He reached the park and stood there chuckling to himself when he saw her sitting on the swing set. He sent a text to everyone, letting them know she was okay.

 

“What are you doing here at this time?” he asked.

 

She looked up at him and chuckled, “Just thinking.”

 

“You sure think a lot,” he said as he sat down on the swing set next to her, “So, what are we thinking about?”

 

“We?” she laughed, “Why are you really here?”

 

“Everyone’s looking for you.”

 

She looked at him, who turned to look back at her. She gave him a weird expression, but looked away to reach inside her pocket to realize her phone was dead, “Oh, my phone died. But, who was looking for me?”

 

“Your dad, brother, mom, photo friend, Kai, his uncle, JB, Jieun, Suzy, Krystal, and… me.”

 

Her eyes widen, “Seriously? Why was everyone looking for me? Did something happen?”

 

“First, how are you feeling?”

 

She looked at him weirdly, “Fine… I guess.”

 

“You sure?”

 

She slowly nodded her head, “Yeah… why are you asking me that right now?”

 

“There’s a full moon tonight. You really don’t feel anything?”

 

She shook her head, “Nope, I feel fi—”

 

Suddenly, Jaemi held onto her chest.

 

Shocked, L.Joe quickly got off his swing set, “Jaemi, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” he asked, kneeling in front of her.

 

She sat up straight and started to swing a bit, “Yeah, I’m fine,” she said laughing.

 

L.Joe suddenly looked at her weirdly as he got up and stepped back.

 

She stopped swinging, “L.Joe. Calm down, I was just joking.”

 

He slowly shook his head as he continued to look at her.

 

She looked away, “I don’t know what’s happening with you, but—”

 

“Jaemi.”

 

“What.”

 

“Your neck… it’s—,” he stopped, trying to find the right words, “glowing.”

 

“What?” she repeated, “Okay, what nonsense—”

 

Jaemi suddenly stopped.

 

“What, what’s wrong?”

 

She paused, “Your neck...it’s—it’s actually glowing too.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Your birthmark—it’s glowing.”

 

Just when she said that, her tails slowly began to appear one by one.

 

“Woah,” he said looking at them.

 

She looked at him confused and turned back to see them in awe. She quickly turned to face him again, “You’re not scared?”

 

“Of you?” he chuckled and shook his head, “I do have a question though. Why—”

 

“I know, I know. I only have eight tails—”

 

“What? No, there’s nine…”

 

She looked at him surprised and turned back to look again to see that there were indeed nine tails, “How?” she asked herself, “How is that possible?”

 

“You do know that gumihos have nine tails, right? Hence the ‘gu’ in gumiho.”

 

“No, I know that. It’s just… it’s a bit more complicated than that,” she tried explaining, “Wait. If that’s not what you wanted to ask, what did you want to ask me?”


He looked at her, “Why was my neck glowing?”