Chapter 12*

Hidden Raindrop

The sky was dark and gloomy, but Jaemi still came and stood in front of the cabin anxiously. As she stood there hesitating to go in, the sky began to sprinkle. Rain. It was something she hated the most. And it’s quite ironic how her father works at Rain, when she hated rain ever since she was a kid. The feeling, the sound, everything. Standing there for a few minutes thinking, she finally walked into the cabin, not wanting to waste any time.

 

 

“Jaemi, what are you doing here?”

 

“Monk Seon…. w-what am I?” Jaemi hesitated.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Jaemi slowly lifted her hair, “This. Please…. tell me.”

 

 

The sky was still sprinkling as Jaemi walked home remembering Monk Seon’s exact words.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Your father was my best friend. We grew up together as kids, and as we grew older, your father finally found love. But your father did not love just any girl, he loved your mother. However, your father died to protect the both of you. And as for your mother, she died to give you your life. In order for you to live, she had to give up hers. Your surrogate father was there in her time of need, so she trusted him to take care of you —”

 

“This doesn’t add up… what was my father protecting my mother from? And why did my mother have to die for me?” Jaemi asked contemplatively.

 

“People were after her. And they would not rest until they killed the last living…. gumiho.”

 

Jaemi fell back in complete shock, “M-Mwoh? This is a joke right?”

 

“No. The only way for your mother to live was to destroy you then and there, but she wanted you to live on. So, she gave you her life.”

 

Jaemi almost became speechless as tears started to form, “Then why couldn’t I stay here in Korea? Why did I have to go to America for over 17 years?”

 

“Because of your mark. On the fox, there were suppose to be nine tails. However as your mothers’ tails were being transferred to you, the ninth tail never appeared. Without it, you were to remain a baby until the last tail appeared. But somehow the ninth tail must have shown up somewhere since you are grown up now. But even now, you are still at great risk.”

 

“That still doesn’t answer my question.”

 

“You can’t be anywhere near your mother’s death. Without the ninth tail, you have no control over your anger. Without realizing, you could hurt those around you.”

 

“Is there a way for me to control my anger?”

 

“To be around another gumiho, but you’re the —”

 

“Last of my kind…. So for me to gain full control, I have to find my last tail.”

 

He nodded.

 

END of FLASHBACK

 

Unable to accept the truth, Jaemi began to tear up as she was being overwhelmed. As the rain grew heavier, so did her tears. And for the first time in her life, she did not mind the rain. The rain was now her protector, the one to hide her tears.

 

 

It was finally morning and Jaemi tried to repress everything that had happened last night. Once her eyes opened, she went to check on her father who was sick from a fever. She went into his bedroom, to see an empty bed. She later checked his office to see her father still laying on the couch. She quickly touched his forehead to check if his fever went down, but instead, it was hotter than before. Worried, Jaemi ran to the kitchen to get a bucket of water with a towel.

 

“Jaemi, why aren’t you getting ready for school?” Jaesung asked as he walked into the kitchen.

 

“Appa is burning up. I’m going to stay home and take care of him today.”

 

“Ani, you go to school. I’ll stay home with appa. After all, this is my last year of high school and you need to go to school since you’re still a new student.”

 

Jaemi nodded and she quickly changed into her uniform.

 

 

“Soooo…. ” Jieun began.

 

Jaemi raised an eyebrow, “What.”

 

“That guy! The one with the fancy car!” Jieun chimed, “Is he, you know… someone special?” she teased.

 

Jaemi let out a little scoff and laughed.

 

“He’s just a friend from back home. Nothing more!”

 

“If you say so!” Jieun drawled.

 

“Okay class, everyone take a seat. I hope you are all having a fine morning, because we are going to start off with some reading. Everyone take out your book and turn to page 44 looking at —”

 

“Sorry I’m late,” a familiar voice came rushing in.

 

Almost every girl started to squeal in excitement as they whispered to each other how hot he was.

 

Curious, Jaemi turned around to see who it was. Standing by the door, it was JB. He winked at her once they made eye contact.

 

“You must be the new student, Im Jae Bum, correct?” the teacher questioned.

 

JB nodded, “Please call me JB.”

 

“Alright, JB why don’t you go sit over there next to Jaemi, behind Kai.”

 

JB casually walked over to his seat without looking at anyone.

 

“Well JB, it seems like most of the class already knows who you are, especially the girls,” she said chuckling, “But would you mind introducing yourself to the class.”

 

JB stood from his seat, “Hi. My name is Im Jae Bum, but I go by JB. And if you don’t already know, I’m a transfer student from America.”


“Well, welcome JB. Let’s get back to class. Everyone turn to page 44.”