Chapter 39*

Hidden Raindrop

Jaemi did not make any noise or movement.

 

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that so bluntly,” Hyomin apologized.

 

“No, it’s not that,” Jaemi said to reassure, “It’s just— You knew my mother?”

 

Hyomin nodded, “I only met her a few times when we were young. Jiyeon would always mention how your mother took really good care of her as kids, but war occurred around the 1800s and the two got separated. The girls and I found Jiyeon at that time and brought her in as a new member of T-ARA, and she changed her last name for identity sake. Sadly, the last time Jiyeon was able to see her sister was when she passed away.”

 

Jaemi lowered her head in sorrow and the two sat in silence for a few minutes.

 

“What skills did you and Jiyeon have?” Jaemi asked.

 

“I have detection and Jiyeon had atmospheric adaption. Technically, that means I could sense if good or bad things are going to happen, while Jiyeon can adapt to any type of environment or condition happening on earth.”

 

Jaemi nodded her head in awe.

 

“I was told you were still trying to figure out your skill.”

 

Jaemi nodded, “I don’t even know where to start.”

 

“Our skills aren’t something we know, it’s something we feel,” Hyomin explained, “You might figure it out now, you might figure it out 10 years from now. The skills we have are special and we can’t force it; instead, we have to patiently wait and let our speciality come to us. I know it can be hard, especially when you’re doing it alone and… I think I might be able to help you.”

 

“Really? You think you can help me?”

 

Hyomin nodded, “Why don’t you come by every weekend night and we will try to figure out your skill together.”

 

Jaemi agreed, “Thank you so much, this really means a lot to me. It’s great to finally meet another gumiho who I can talk to.”

 

After they finished talking, Jaemi got up to leave. She walked towards the door, but stopped. She looked down at Jiyeon’s diary and walked back.

 

“I want you to keep this,” Jaemi said handing the diary to Hyomin.

 

Hyomin held the diary and looked at Jaemi, “You’re giving me her diary?”

 

Jaemi nodded, “You and my aunt were best friends, and I want you to keep it.”

 

Hyomin looked at the diary for a few seconds, “No, you should keep it. I believe there was a reason why you found her diary. Maybe Jiyeon wanted you to find it.”

 

Hyomin handed the diary back to Jaemi, “Take good care of it.”

 

 

Jaemi went to work the following morning.

 

 

When she arrived, she got called into Chairman Lee’s office.

 

“Jaemi, why don’t you sit down first,” Chairman Lee insisted.

 

Jaemi took a seat on the couch and waited for him, but he was still at his desk working. She looked up at him, a little confused, but she continued to sit there trying to make herself comfortable. Soon after, the door soon swung open and L.Joe walked in.

 

 

She looked at him surprised for two reasons: one, that he’s here and two, that they are somehow always dress-coordinated. Though it was weird, she still felt a little content inside.

 

“What did you want to talk about?” L.Joe asked.

 

Chairman Lee got up and walked over to Jaemi. L.Joe turned around to see her with a confused look as they all sat down.

 

“Now, I’m sure you are both curious as to why I called the two of you in to talk, and I’ll just make it short. Mid-scale hotel.”

 

Jaemi looked at L.Joe and then back at Chairman Lee, unsure of what he meant.

 

“What about the mid-scale hotels?” L.Joe asked.

 

“Vice Chairman Um and I thought over your idea on the mid-scale hotels, and we think you’re right. We do need to focus more on our society rather than just our business. In order for us to improve, we need to explore outside our business, not just inside.”

 

The two remained quiet, still trying to figure why they are in his office. Chairman Lee looked at the two who were still confused and smiled.

 

Chairman Lee got up and walked to his desk, “So why are you two here?” he asked, “Simple. I want the two of you to take charge on this project.”

 

“Us?” Jaemi asked to clarify.

 

He nodded, “You two are young and probably have better ideas that would capture more people’s attention. I understand that you both have school, but this project has no specific deadline yet. But, I do want at least a proposal by no later than next month. So, if you two don’t have any questions, you are free to go and start.”

 

 

L.Joe and Jaemi entered an empty project room and sat down in silence.

 

“So… where should we begin?” Jaemi asked awkwardly.

 

L.Joe sat up, “Alright, let’s start with location.”

 

“Okay, do you have somewhere in mind?”

 

L.Joe looked around, “Seoul.”

 

“Seoul?” she repeated.

 

He nodded, “We are already here, might as well as build and promote the mid-scale hotel here too.”

 

Jaemi gave a fake smile.

 

He looked at her, “Okay, where do you have in mind.”

 

She pondered for a moment, “Incheon. It’s somewhere new, but it’s not too far. It’ll be a nice change.”

 

“True, but Rain’s headquarters are already in Seoul. It would be simpler if we just start up here.”

 

Time flew by as L.Joe and Jaemi continued to argue about the planning for the mid-scale hotel. Before they knew it, it was already 3PM.

 

Jaemi laid back on her chair and looked at the clock, “It’s three already?”

 

L.Joe turned his head to look, “I guess we can continue this tomorrow.”

 

As they were cleaning up, Jaemi whispered to herself, “Can’t believe we skipped lunch.”

 

“We can go eat after we finish cleaning if you want,” he suggested without looking at her.

 

She stopped to look at him, a little embarrassed that he heard, “Um, yeah okay.”

 

They both headed down to the lobby having a light conversation.

 

 

Kai was sitting in front of his car waiting for Jaemi. He smiled as he saw her walking out, but that smile soon disappeared when he saw her giggling and walking out with L.Joe. He got up from his car and walked towards them.

 

“Kai?” Jaemi called.

 

He smiled and walked towards her.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

 

“I thought I would come by and pick you up from work. Are you hungry?”

 

She looked at L.Joe then back at Kai, “Actually, I was about to go—”

 

L.Joe cut her off, “It’s fine, go.”

 

“Oh um, okay. I guess I’m free then!” she said walking to his car.

 

She turned back around to L.Joe, “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

 

When she was far enough, Kai looked at L.Joe and asked, “I thought you didn’t like her.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Whatever your reason is for being here. Stay away from her.”

 

“I work here.”

 

“You work at Rain with Jaemi?”

 

L.Joe nodded his head, “But, maybe you should be careful now.”

 

“What is that suppose to mean?”

 

“I told you I wouldn’t like her and I always keep my word with you, but now…” L.Joe scoffed, “You shouldn’t have doubt me.”

 

“Are you threatening me?”

 

L.Joe let out a smirk and walked away.

 

Kai went back to his car.

 

“Is everything okay?” Jaemi asked.

 

He nodded, “Yeah, everything’s fine.”

 

He his engine and drove off.

 

“Where do you want to eat?” he asked.

 

“I’m fine with anything,” she answered, “By the way, is L.Joe usually stubborn?”

 

He looked at her awkwardly and turned back towards the road, “Yeah, he could be.”

 

“Well that explains a lot. We just started this project and he’s already so stubborn. He wouldn’t take any of my ideas into consideration. Yeah, his ideas were good, but not all of them. And I know he thinks some of my ideas are better, but he just has too much pride to admit it.”

 

While going on, she would slightly turn towards Kai and noticed how stiff he was.

 

“Are you okay?” she asked.

 

“Um, yeah. Why?”

 

She thought for a moment, “Are you and L.Joe okay? You seem a little tense.”

 

He quickly stopped the car on the side of the road, “Can we stop talking about him for a moment.”

 

Jaemi looked at him a little scared, but more concerned, “Yeah… I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine,” he took a deep breath and continued driving down the road.

 

Even though they had a tense moment, Kai and Jaemi still had a good time eating lunch. Once they finished, he dropped her off at her house.

 

 

Jaemi went to work the following morning. Since she was going to be in the project room all day, she decided to go with a casual and edgy yet semi-professional look.

 

 

She walked near the project room to see L.Joe already inside organizing papers through the glass window. When she opened the door, she also noticed him wearing an edgy, casual, semi-professional outfit.

 

 

He looked up at her and went back to organizing, “It’s funny how we’re always wearing similar clothes.”

 

Jaemi looked down at her outfit and blushed. He noticed.

 

She let out a small laugh and sat down across from him, “Okay, between Seoul and Incheon—”

 

“Let’s go with Incheon.”

 

“You didn’t even let me finis— Wait, Incheon?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I thought you wanted Seoul.”

 

“Yeah, but I changed my mind.”

 

She looked at him a little confused.

 

“Now let’s move on with our strategy with how and who we are targeting,” he said.

 

 

A few hours passed.

 

Jaemi stretched back on her chair and yawned.

 

“We should take a break,” L.Joe suggested.

 

She nodded her head.

 

“I’ll go down to the lobby and get us a cup of coffee.”

 

When he left, Jaemi sat up and stretched her arms, “Why am I so tired today?” she asked herself.

 

She placed her head on the desk to rest for a bit.

 

When L.Joe came back, he noticed Jaemi sleeping on the desk. He let out a smile and continued to work while she slept.

 

 

Another few hours passed and Jaemi slowly woke up. She looked around half asleep, then squinted at L.Joe. She rubbed her eyes, “L.Joe?”

 

He looked up at her, “You’re awake. Your coffee got cold, I’ll go get you another one.”

 

“No no, it’s okay. I’ll go get it.”

 

When she returned, she stopped at the door and watched L.Joe working through the glass. Unknowingly, she let out a little smile.

 

She placed a cup of coffee next to him, “Here you go.”

 

“Thanks,” he said sipping on the cup.

 

“What are we doing now?” she said looking at the papers.

 

“Nothing, we are done for the day,” he said putting the papers back into the folder.

 

“Done for the day? But it’s not even four yet,” she said looking at the time, “It’s barely 2:30.”

 

He finished packing and looked up at her and smiled, “I know.”

 

He grabbed her arm and ran out of the hotel.

 

“What are you doing? We still have over an hour before we get off of work.”

 

“Same thing we did when we were working on our film project.”

 

Jaemi looked at him and thought for a moment.

 

FLASHBACK

 

L.Joe ran to Jaemi and grabbed her arm.

 

What are you doing?” Jaemi asked.

 

“Do you really want to stay here and film all day?” L.Joe retorted back at her.

 

L.Joe turned to Jaemi again, “Gaja.”

 

He pulled Jaemi up and ran.

 

END of FLASHBACK

 

“Do you really want to stay here and work all day?” he asked half smiling, half smirking.

 

Unable to give a response, Jaemi stood there looking at him with her heart beating fast.

 

He grinned and grabbed her arm. They both got into his car and drove off.

 

“Where are we going?” she asked.

 

“You owe me lunch remember?”

 

She let out a smile.

 

“Give me your phone,” he said sticking his hand out.

 

“What, why?”

 

“Just give it.”

 

She looked at him confused, but eventually gave in and gave her phone to him.

 

He turned her phone on silent and placed it in his pockets. He then took his phone out and turned it off on silent too and gave it to her, “We are not allowed to use our phones for the whole day today. Got it?”

 

She looked at him confused, “Um.. okay.”

 

L.Joe drove into a parking spot and they both got off the car.

 

“Where are we eating?” Jaemi asked.

 

“Korean barbeque.”

 

She looked at him in awe, “Chincha?”

 

He nodded his head and smiled.

 

“Well what are we waiting for, let’s go in!” she cheered while running in.

 

Jaemi held the tip of her chopsticks between her lips and watched the lady place the trays of meat on the table one by one. With her head moving from left to right repeatedly, she couldn’t help but swallow her saliva multiple times.

 

L.Joe watched her and let out a laugh, “You must be hungry.”

 

Jaemi slowly nodded her head while still looking at the meat, “It feels like a century since I last ate meat like this.”

 

Two hours passed and the two finally finished lunch.

 

“Oh, I’m so full!” Jaemi stated, “I’ll be back, I need to use the restroom.”

 

Once she left, L.Joe took out Jaemi’s phone from his pocket and noticed 2 missed calls from Kai and a text message. He opened the text.

 

Is everything okay? I’m standing outside of Rain, come out whenever you’re ready.

Kai

 

L.Joe looked up to make sure Jaemi wasn’t out yet. He turned back towards the phone and deleted the text and the missed calls, “Sorry Kai.”

 

Jaemi came out of the restroom and he quickly put her phone back in his pockets.

 

“How much was it?” she asked sitting back down.

 

“Don’t worry about it, I paid already. Let’s go.”

 

They both went back into the car, “I’ll drive you home then.”

 

“Actually, if it’s not too much, can you drop me off somewhere else?”

 

 

L.Joe stopped in front of a photography art gallery.

 

Jaemi got out of the car and smiled, “Thanks for treating me out to lunch and giving me a ride today. I’ll see you tomorrow in class.”

 

She closed the door and went inside the gallery.

 

“What is she doing in an photo gallery at this time?” he asked himself.

 

 

Jaemi walked in, “Hyomin?”

 

“Wait, is that impolite?” Jaemi whispered to herself, “Eemo?” she called awkward.

 

“Eemo?” Hyomin repeated while laughing, “Don’t make me sound old! Just call me unnie!”

 

Jaemi laughed with her, “Ne, Hyomin unni!”

 

While there, Hyomin helped Jaemi by teaching her how to meditate and concentrate.

 

“Sit down and try to control your breathing. Breath in and then breath out,” Hyomin instructed.

 

Jaemi closed her eyes and did as she instructed.

 

“Now, I want you to concentrate and try to clear your mind.”

 

Jaemi took another deep breath and tried to clear her mind.

 

An hour passed and she was still meditating.

 

Jaemi let out a sigh.

 

“What’s wrong?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Nothing.”

 

Hyomin sat down beside her, “What’s on your mind?”

 

Jaemi opened her eyes and shrugged her shoulders, “I don’t know… I honestly don’t know.”

 

She looked at Jaemi, “Why don’t we stop today. We can continue again next week.”

 

Jaemi nodded.

 

 

Jaemi jumped onto her bed and laid there for a few seconds.

 

She sat up and reached into her pockets, “What?” she questioned holding up a different phone, “L.Joe forgot to switch our phones back.”

 

The phone rang.

 

“Roof girl?” Jaemi read.

 

She picked up the phone, “Hello?”

 

“Looks like you forgot something.”

 

Jaemi pondered for a moment, “L.Joe?”

 

“Who else would call at this time?” L.Joe said back.

 

She scoffed, “I wasn’t the only one who forgot.”

 

“Alright, I’ll admit that.”

 

Jaemi giggled, “So where are you?”

 

“Why? Do you miss me already?”

 

“Ya.”

 

“What. I am only speaking the truth.”

 

She scoffed again, “Fine, I’ll let this one go since you treated me out today.”

 

“Ah, so it is true,” he laughed.

 

“No it’s—”

 

“Nope, I’m going to hang up before you say anything else.”

 

“Ya. Ya! Hello?”

 

She looked at her phone and scoffed, but a smile still fell upon her face.

 

 

“Hey, why didn’t you pick up my calls?” Jieun asked.

 

“Huh? Oh, I didn’t have my phone with me, sorry. Why did you call though?” Jaemi answered.

 

“I called to ask if you wanted to hang out, but it’s too late for that now,” she pouted.

 

Jaemi let out a laugh, “I’m sorry my little friend.”

 

“Where is your phone though?”

 

“Oh, uh… it’s—”

 

Suddenly, a phone and a hand were in front of her, “Phone.”

 

She looked up at L.Joe and took her phone from his hand. She reached into her pockets and handed his phone back into his hands. After the quick exchange, L.Joe left and sat down at his seat.

 

“Why did you have his phone and why did he have your phone?” Jieun asked confused.

 

Jaemi looked at her awkwardly and shrugged.

 

On the other hand, Kai had just walked into class and saw the whole scene.

 

 

“You don’t always have to take me home, I feel bad that I’m wasting your time,” Jaemi said.

 

Kai looked at her and smiled, “My time is never wasted with you. Don’t worry about it.”

 

Jaemi felt her cheeks burning.

 

“By the way, I saw that L.Joe and you had switched phones.”

 

“Huh? Oh, that was nothing.”

 

“You sure?” he asked to reassure.

 

Jaemi nodded.

 

“I actually wanted to take you somewhere today.”

 

“Where?”

 

He smiled, “You’ll see.”

 

After the drive, Kai went out and sat in the front of his car.

 

She looked at Kai outside and walked out of the car as well and stood next to him, “Han River?” Jaemi questioned, “Why are we here?”

 

He looked at the view in front of him, “I remember when we came here to ride bikes on Valentine’s day.”

 

Jaemi nodded and smiled.

 

“I honestly had a great time and… I guess I’ll just come out and say it.”

 

Jaemi looked at him.


“Will you be my girlfriend?”

 


Sorry I haven't been updating. I made this chapter super long to make up for my hiatus! Since Thanksgiving is coming up, I hope you will all have a great Thanksgiving, and have fun on Black Friday!