Chapter 43*

Hidden Raindrop

Jaemi slammed her hands onto the table and stood up to face Suzy.

 

Suzy looked straight back at her, smiled, and then whispered, “Angry?”

 

As all eyes were on them, Suzy looked closely at Jaemi, waiting for something to happen, “What’s wrong?” she mocked.

 

Jaemi continued to look at her as anger continued to boil inside. Without realizing, Jaemi’s eye slowly began to turn blue. Suzy slightly moved back in fear, but a smile was still on her face.

 

“Do you all see?” she said to everyone, “She’s a freak! She’s not even human.”

 

Everyone in the cafeteria, even her friends, started to giggle.

 

“You think I’m joking?” Suzy hollered back, “Look at her eyes!”

 

Suzy grabbed onto Jaemi’s wrist to pull her forward, but a sudden grab from someone else shoved Suzy to the floor.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” L.Joe said angrily.

 

Suzy looked up at him and scoff, “Why are you protecting her, huh?!? Why is everyone protecting her!” she roared once she got up.

 

“If you were looking for a laugh, congratulations, you got it,” he responded back while pulling Jaemi away.

 

She was still in her trance, but once L.Joe held her hand, she went back to her normal self.

 

Suzy watched him pull Jaemi away and looked around to see the whole cafeteria either looking at her while giggling or whispering to one another about L.Joe and Jaemi. Unable to process the whole situation, she stood there shrieking in frustration.

 

 

Once he pulled her far enough from the cafeteria, L.Joe stopped and released his grip. He turned around in anger, but when he saw her, he could only let out a sigh. He looked at her pitifully as water dripped down from her head to her face. He sat her down and pulled out a tissue from his pocket. He bent down and began wiping her face. As he started to notice her more carefully, his wiping slowed down. Jaemi looked at him, but he quickly cough and stood back up.

 

“Here,” he said handing the tissue to her.

 

She grabbed it and began wiping herself.

 

After awhile, she finished and stood back up, “Thanks…”

 

L.Joe stood there for awhile and turned around to see her walking away.

 

 

“Jaemi!” Jieun called, running towards her with Jaesung.

 

“Jieun told me what happened, are you okay?” he said touching her head.

 

She forced a smile, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

Jaesung looked at her and sighed, “I can’t believe she did this to you. Does you think she knows by any chance?”

 

Jaemi shook her head, “I don’t know what she knows, but she does know something about me.”

 

Jieun hugged her, “I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything. I feel like a terrible friend.”

 

“Don’t be! I wouldn’t want you getting involved anyways.”

 

“Yeah, but if you had never met me, you wouldn’t be—”

 

“Don’t say that! Your friendship means more to me than this feud with the devil,” Jaemi said to reassure her, “But, I’m going to go head to the locker rooms’ first.”

 

“Do you want me to come with you?” Jieun asked.

 

“No it’s okay, I’ll see you in class.”

 

Once Jaemi left, Jieun was left alone with Jaesung.

 

She looked at him awkwardly, “I’m… um… I’m going to go first,” she said turning around.

 

“Jieun.”

 

She wrinkled her face for unsuccessfully escaping, but turned around to face him, “Yeah?”

 

“Can we talk?”

 

 

The two went out to the school’s garden and walked around in silence.

 

Feeling uncomfortable, Jieun spoke up, “What did you want to talk to me about?”

 

But before Jaesung could say anything, Jieun answered first.

 

“Is it about Jaemi? Because if it is, I’m really sorry. I don’t know why I acted like that. I really wanted to help her, but I somehow couldn’t.”

 

Jaesung laughed.

 

“Why are you laughing?”

 

“That’s not what I wanted to talk to you about.”

 

“Oh. What did you want to talk about then?”

 

“Us.”

 

Jieun’s heart began to rapidly beat faster, “Us?” she questioned again, “W—what about us?”

 

“Why have you been avoiding me?”

 

“Oh, that…” she said disappointed, “I wasn’t.”

 

“You weren’t?”

 

“No, I was… I was just afraid to face you.”

 

“Afraid to face me? Why?”

 

Jieun stood there thinking for awhile, “Emotions?”

 

“Emotions,” he repeated.

 

“Yeah, like typical girl thing,” she said half laughing.

 

He chuckled, “Alright then, whatever it is, just know you can talk to me, okay?”

 

Jieun nodded. He touched her head and walked away.

 

Right when he left, Jieun slightly turned and began to lightly smack her head, “Emotions? Am I crazy? What was I thinking!?”

 

Jaesung turned back, “I’ll see you around,” he said waving.

 

Jieun quickly jumped up and awkwardly waved back, “Oh my gosh… I hope he didn’t hear me.”

 

 

Jaemi took a quick shower and put on a new uniform she had in her locker. She went to the mirror to ruffle her hair, but randomly finds herself thinking about L.Joe.

 

She caught herself and laughed, “Why am I even thinking about of him? Do I like him or something?”

 

Jaemi thought about it for a bit and laughed again, “No, why would I like him? I mean it’s L.Joe,” she said as she continued to ruffle her hair.

 

She thought about it again and shook her head, “No, no, I don’t like him.”

 

 

“I like you,” L.Joe said.

 

Jaemi looked at him, “You what?”

 

He came in closer and pulled her face towards him.

 

BAM!

 

Jaemi’s face slammed onto the desk.

 

Kijoon laughed, “Someone was in a deep sleep.”

 

Jaemi lifted her head as she rubbed her forehead. She looked around and silently screamed while ruffling her hair.

 

“Are you okay? What’s wrong?” Kijoon asked.

 

She let out a sigh, “I’m going to go walk around the building,” she said leaving his office.

 

As she went downstairs, she hears a familiar voice calling for her.

 

“JAEMI! GUESS WHAT!!!” Areum said running towards her.

 

Jaemi looked at her confused.

 

“My dad’s going to work with Rain, so that means I’ll be visiting here more often! YAY!”

 

“Really?”

 

Areum laughed, “Yup, but I have to work out some things with my him first, so I’ll see you later!”

 

They said their goodbyes as Areum went upstairs.

 

“I wonder what her dad works as,” she said to herself.

 

 

After a few hours, Jaemi went back to her father’s office.

 

“So tired”, she said sitting on the couch.

 

Kijoon smiled.

 

“By the way appa, when are we starting our contract with Lee Tech for the Think Green campaign?

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Aren’t we working with Lee Tech as our partner?”

 

“Chairman Lee didn’t tell you? We already signed a contract with them,” he said, “I thought you knew since you seem pretty close with their daughter.”

 

“Their daughter?”

 

“Yes, I forgot her name. What was it… Arin?”

 

Jaemi’s eye grew big, “Areum?!?”

 

“Yes, Areum! You didn’t know?”

 

She continued to look at him in shock. Jaemi went out of her father’s office and began walking around the building talking to herself.

 

“Areum? She’s the daughter of Lee Tech?” she asked herself, “What? No way… I mean, what? How is that possible? I mean it’s possible, but still… how?” she sighed, “This is bizarre.”

 

“Are you talking to yourself?” L.Joe said, walking over.

 

She jumped, “Omo, you scared me.”

 

L.Joe looked around, “Who are you talking to? There’s no one around,” he laughed.

 

She looked at him embarrassed, “I was just thinking out loud!”

 

He giggled, “Cute.”

 

She looked at him, but before she could say anything, someone was calling her from afar.

 

“I better leave you to your friend then,” he smiled as he left.

 

“Jaemi!” Areum called again. Once she got closer, she noticed a guy walking away, “Who’s that?”

 

“Just… a friend?”

 

“Oh, he’s kind of cute, what’s his name?” she giggled.

 

“Cute?” Jaemi laughed, “His name is L.Joe.”

 

She turned to look at Jaemi, “That’s L.Joe?”

 

She nodded her head, “Why? Do you know him?”

 

“Huh? Oh, no,” she shook her head, “Come on, let’s get some coffee!” Areum said, pushing Jaemi forward.

 

As she pushed her away, Areum looked back for a quick glance at L.Joe before resuming back to Jaemi.

 

 

Jaemi placed two coffee cups on the table and sat down across from Areum.

 

Jaemi took a sip from her cup, “By the way, why didn’t you tell me you were with Lee Tech?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re Mr. Lee’s daughter, right?”

 

She nodded her head.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Areum lifted her shoulders, “I don’t know, I just didn’t know how to tell you.”

 

Jaemi noticed a sad tone from her voice and decided to change the subject, “At least I know we will be working together now!”

 

Areum quickly smiled as she lightly chuckled.

 

 

Jaemi laid down on her bed to try and fall asleep, but no matter what, a certain person keeps popping up in her head.

 

She sat up, “Why… why am I thinking of him right now?” she asked herself.

 

Not knowing what to do, she got up and went down to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

 

“Why are you up so late?” Jaesung asked when he walked into the kitchen.

 

“Couldn’t sleep. You?”

 

“Just thirsty,” he said, taking a sip from Jaemi’s cup.

 

She laughed, but her smiled soon faded.

 

“What’s on your mind?”

 

Jaemi let out a sigh, “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Of course, anything.”

 

“How do you know when you like someone?”

 

Jaesung stood there thinking for a bit and smiled, “Probably when you can’t stop thinking about them, but it’s not just that. It’s not about what you know, it’s how you feel about that person. You may like a lot of people, but the one you really like is the one you want to be around 5 years from now, 10 years from now, and so on. And despite what your ideal type is like, you can’t seem to find a way to not like them.”

 

Jaemi nodded her head and smiled, “Thanks.”

 

He smiled back.

 

“Well, I better get some sleep. Good night oppa.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Before she left the kitchen, she turned around to face Jaesung, “Oppa?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Whoever she is, I’m going to like her.”


He lightly chuckled and smiled back. Jaemi did the same and went upstairs.