Chapter 41*

Hidden Raindrop

“Areum?” Jaemi repeated.

 

She nodded her head.

 

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what company do you work for?”

 

“Have you heard of—”

 

“Areum!” a man called, “I want to introduce you to some people.”

 

“Ne!” Areum responded back, “Sorry, I should get going, but it was nice meeting you Jaemi! Hopefully, I get to see you again soon.”

 

Jaemi nodded her head in agreement. As Areum left, L.Joe approached Jaemi, “Who is she?”

 

“Molla,” she said walking away.

 

“What? ‘Molla’?” he followered behind her, “During that whole conversation, you didn’t learn anything about her?”

 

“Well I know her name is A—”

 

“Kids, kids. Why are you two standing here and arguing,” Vice Chairmant Um asked as he approached them.

 

Suddenly, a slow song started to play.

 

“Why don’t you two go dance,” he suggested.

 

“Appa, gwenchana.”

 

L.Joe looked at her and slightly chuckled.

 

“Arasso, arasso. I’ll leave you two alone.”

 

L.Joe looked down and laughed again.

 

“Mwoh. Why are you laughing?” Jaemi asked.

 

“Nothing,” he said smiling. After a few seconds, he coughed and stuck his hand out.

 

Jaemi looked at his hand, “Mwoh.”

 

“Aren’t we going to dance?”

 

“Dwaesseo,” she said pushing his hand away.

 

“Wae? You haven’t slow danced before?”

 

“Ani! I just don’t feel like dancing right now.”

 

He chuckled and grabbed her hand to the center of the dance floor.

 

“Ya!” she softly bellowed, “I said I don’t want to dance!”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll teach you,” he winked.

 

He gently lifted her left arm up and placed it on his shoulders as he slipped his right arm behind her back. Jaemi lightly blushed and began looking towards the ground to hide her embarrassment. He then reached for her right arm and slowly raised it up.

 

“See, it’s not that hard.”

 

As they danced, L.Joe noticed her avoiding his eye contact, “Why aren’t you looking at me?” he said chuckling.

 

Jaemi looked at him, but quickly turned away.

 

“Are you afraid of falling in love with me?” he joked.

 

She scoffed, “Ani,” she said looking into his eyes.

 

He chucked, “Really?”

 

Jaemi nodded her head while still looking at him.

 

“How about now?” he said pulling her in closer.

 

Jaemi turned slightly red and pushed him away, “You really like playing around, don’t you?” she said as she walked away from the dance floor.

 

L.Joe smiled to himself and followed behind her.

 

While L.Joe and Jaemi stood there bickering, Vice Chairman Um approached them along with a few other men. As they introduced each other, the subject soon changed.

 

“Vice Chairman Um, why don’t you come along with us for a few drinks. We still need to catch up after all these years,” one of the men said laughing.

 

“Ani, ani. I can’t be drinking too much and I have to take my daughter home later too,” he kindly declined.

 

“Ay, we don’t have to drink. We can still sit around and have some fun.”

 

Vice Chairman Um looked over at Jaemi, but before he could say anything, she spoke up first, “Appa, I don’t even remember the last time you went out with your friends, you should really go! Don’t worry about me. I’ll find my way home and if anything, I’ll sleep over at a friend’s house.”

 

After some time, Vice Chairman Um finally agreed and the men walked away to continue their talk.

 

 

It was getting close to midnight and the party was starting to end as people slowly left. L.Joe went outside to see Jaemi waiting in the front.

 

“Who are you waiting for?” L.Joe asked.

 

Jaemi looked at him, “No one,” and walked away.

 

“Ya, where are you going?”

 

“Home.”

 

“Walking?”

 

Jaemi nodded her head.

 

“Seriously? Your house is at least 30 minutes away by foot, and you’re wearing that,” he stated, “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

 

“Dwaesseo, I can do things on my own,” she still walking away.

 

As Jaemi continued to walk, the moon suddenly revealed itself behind the building. Unconsciously, she stopped and slowly looked up towards the sky and froze as if she was possessed.

 

From afar, L.Joe noticed something strange, “Ya, are you okay?”

 

No response.

 

Within a few seconds, Jaemi fainted and everything went black.

 

 

“What the heck am I doing here?” she said waking up

 

She looked out the window to see the sun slightly rising, “OH MY GOSH, what time is it?”

 

She scruffled around the bed to find her phone. Unable to find anything, she jumped out of bed and started to search the whole room, “Did I seriously lose my phone?”

 

“It’s almost 4:30 in the morning,” Kai said rubbing his eye by the door.

 

Jaemi let out a huge shriek and dropped to the floor.

 

Kai held his ears, “Geez, my eardrums are going to break.”

 

“Wh—what are you doing here?”

 

He looked around, “I live here?”

 

She looked around the room after she realized, “Why am I here?”

 

“I can tell you everything in the morning, I’m going back to sleep.”

 

“You can, but I’m going home, we have school in a of couple hours.”

 

“Just sleep here. Your uniform is already sitting over there on the chair,” he said leaving.

 

Jaemi turned to see her uniform nicely folded on the chair, “How did—,” but before she could finish, Kai was already gone.

 

 

Jaemi walked over to the kitchen to find Kai making breakfast. As he was preparing food, he turned to see Jaemi standing awkwardly in the corner.

 

“Come and eat,” he said.

 

She slowly walked over and sat down. She looked up at him, but was too afraid to say anything. She looked at him again and opened , but before a sound was made, Kai spoke up first.

 

“Before you saything, no, I don’t hate you. And yes, we are still friends.”

 

Jaemi looked at him and smiled because of how well he knew her.

 

 

“So, what happened last night?” Jaemi asked as they both walked to school.

 

Kai laughed, “Nothing really. L.Joe called and said you fell asleep after some company party? He had something important to do afterwards, so he asked if he could drop you off.”

 

Jaemi nodded, “And my uniform?”

 

“I’m not too sure about that, L.Joe just brought them over.”

 

Jaemi nodded her head. The two continued to walk, but when they were two blocks away, Jaemi stopped.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Should we walk in separately?” Jaemi asked.

 

“Why?”

 

“Wouldn’t people talk if we walk in together?”

 

Kai chuckled, “So? Most of the students don’t even know we stopped dating.”

 

Jaemi’s face turned dark from guilt.

 

Kai laughed, “Don’t worry, we’re still good friends, right?” he said wrapping his arms around her shoulder, “Almost like best friends?”

 

Jaemi giggled, “Oh, that reminds me, are you and L.Joe okay? You guys are best friends, but it doesn’t seem like he knows about our situation.”

 

“Yeah… we’ll be fine.”

 

As the two walked in the school, students started to whisper to each other with rumors they heard from other students.

 

With Jaemi already sitting in class, Jieun quickly ran to her seat and turned around to face Jaemi, “SOOOOO, I heard.”

 

“Heard what?”

 

“That Kai and you are back together!” Jieun whispered.

 

Jaemi shook her head, “Tsk tsk, always believing rumors.”

 

“Wait, you guys aren’t?”

 

She chuckled, “No, but we decided to stay good friends.”

 

“Awh, boo hoo. But hey, now we can go boy hunting together!” Jieun winked.

 

“Don’t you already have my brother?” she teased.

 

Jieun’s face turned red as quickly turned back around.

 

“Hey, I was kidding!”

 

“Nope, not talking to you,” she said jokingly mad, but a smile still grew on her face.

 

 

After class ended, Jaemi walked up to L.Joe’s desk.

 

“Why?”

 

“Why what?” he questioned back.

 

“Why didn’t you tell Kai the truth?”

 

He looked up at her, “Because, it’s your business and… I know you don’t like people worrying for you.”

 

He smiled at her and walked out the classroom.

 

 

School ended as everyone started to pack up in their last class.

 

“You can head out first, I need to talk to the teacher about my grade really quick,” Jaemi said to Jieun.

 

After she finished talking, Jaemi was left alone in the classroom to pack up her things. Once she finished, she turned and noticed L.Joe still sleeping in the corner of the classroom. She walked over to him and tapped his shoulder, but he didn’t budge. She sat down in the seat in front of him and started to tap him a couple more times, but there was still no movement from him. Since he was in a deep sleep, she decided to joke around.

 

“Oppaaaa, wake up,” she whispered while laughing near his face.

 

“Oppa,” she repeated, lifting her hand up to tap him again.

 

But before she touched him, L.Joe grabbed her arm and pulled her in close.

 

“Thanks for waking me up,” he smiled. He grabbed his stuff and walked out of the classroom.

 

Jaemi sat there with a frozen face.

 

L.Joe stopped and turned, “By the way.”

 

She looked up at him.

 

“Thanks for calling me ‘oppa’,” he winked at her.

 

Jaemi turned bright red and started to lightly hit herself as he left.

 

 

Professor Seon was standing outside of Jaemi’s school, but after waiting for awhile, he decided to go in and find her. Once he reached the second floor, Professor Seon noticed a familiar face in front of him. He stood there completely shocked, but before he could walk by, Professor Seon stopped him.

 

“Byungho? Is that you?”

 

L.Joe stopped, “Huh? I’m sorry, I think you’re mistaking me for someone else.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

 

L.Joe bowed and continued walking his way. Professor Seon looked at him and sighed, but he soon continued his way to find Jaemi. Luckily, he saw Jaemi getting up from her seat in the next classroom.

 

“Jaemi!” he called.

 

“Professor Seon? What are you doing here?”

 

“I wanted to talk to you about last night.”

 

Right outside the hall, Suzy was walking by, but once she saw Jaemi, she decided to stay and listen. She quickly hid by the door as she started to eavesdrop into their whole conversation.

 

 

L.Joe placed his hand in his pocket, but stopped when he felt something. He pulled out Jaemi’s phone, “I should return this to her.”

 

He circled back around and went up to the classroom, but when he got near, he noticed Suzy standing by the door listening to something. L.Joe was about to call her name, but he suddenly heard Jaemi’s voice along with another man’s. He made a noise, but he quickly hid behind the wall adjacent to Suzy’s.

 

“What about last night?”

 

“My nephew told me you slept over last night, but I have a feeling there was something else.”

 

“Nephew?” L.Joe whispered to himself, “He’s Kai’s uncle?”

 

Jaemi nodded.

 

“What happened?”

 

Jaemi went ahead and quickly explained to him about everything that happened the day before.

 

“Hyomin hasn’t finish teaching you how to control your transformation yet?” he asked.

 

“Transformation?” Suzy whispered to herself.

 

Jaemi shook her head, “I have been distracted a lot lately.”

 

“It’s okay. Remember, you’re half gumiho. Controlling yourself is in your blood, so don’t stress too much about it,” he encouraged her.

 

“Gumiho?” L.Joe said to himself.

 

Suzy gasped, “Unbelievable… this just explains everything about her eyes. Just wait till everyone finds out,” she said quickly scurrying away.

 

L.Joe turned as Suzy ran passed him, but turned back when she walked downstairs, “Jaemi’s a gumiho?”

 

Once he saw Professor Seon leave, L.Joe went back into the classroom.

 

“Who’s he?” he asked by the door.

 

Jaemi slightly jumped, “Gosh, you scared me. But he’s just a professor my dad knows.”

 

“Oh,” he nodded his head.

 

“Wait, what are you doing back here?”

 

“To return this to you,” he said handing her phone back.

 

“Oh my gosh, where did you find it? I seriously thought I lost it.”

 

“You forgot it in my car the day I dropped you off at the gallery.”

 

“Oh wow, I can’t believe I didn’t notice, but thanks.”

 

He nodded his head and went back to stand by the door.

 

“Aren’t you leaving?” she asked.

 

“Don’t you want oppa to take you home?” he teased.

 

“Oh… my… gosh…” she said walking passed him, “I’m leaving.”

 

“Oh come on. Oppa’s just playing around!”

 

 

L.Joe got up early like usual and got ready for work, but when he arrived, Jaemi was already sitting inside.

 

She looked up at him, “Tsk tsk, someone’s late.”

 

He laughed, “I know you want us to be a couple, but you don’t always have to wear similar clothes as me all the time.”

 

She looked his clothes.

 

 

And then she looked at her’s.

 

 

She scoffed, but laughed right after.

 

After a few hours, Jaemi dropped her head to the table, “How are we going to finish this proposal in less than a day.”

 

L.Joe ruffled through his hair, “I don’t know.”

 

She slammed her hands on the table, “You know what, we are going to work with no breaks. And I am not going to leave this building until this proposal is done.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, I am determined.”

 

“Alright, I guess I’ll be staying here too then.”

 

He took off all his jackets, rolled up his sleeves and continued working. Jaemi smiled and did the same.

 

 

L.Joe slowly woke up to see nothing but pitch black outside the window. He looked around and saw Jaemi still working.

 

“You’re still working?”

 

She nodded her head.

 

He looked at the time, “2:30? Did you even sleep?”

 

She shook her head.

 

He looked through all their work, “We are technically 90% done, why don’t you rest for a bit?”

 

“It’s okay, I’m not sleepy yet.”

 

L.Joe got up and went around behind Jaemi’s chair and pulled her away.

 

“Ah! What are you doing?”

 

“Let’s have a little fun.”

 

“But we still have—”

 

“Come on, we have this whole building to ourselves. Don’t you want to have at least a little bit of fun?”

 

Tempted, Jaemi finally gave in.

 

He smiled and dragged her chair out to the halls and started pushing her around the building.

 

After running around, Jaemi suddenly stopped.

 

“What?” L.Joe asked.

 

Jaemi looked at him and pointed towards a janitor sleeping on the couch. She walked over to the janitor and beckoned L.Joe to come.

 

“Should we wake him up?” she asked bending down beside the ajusshi.

 

Before she knew it, the janitor snorted and turned his body around, which caused her to quietly yelp.

 

L.Joe stood there laughing out loud soundlessly.

 

She smacked his leg and got up, “Come on,” she said pushing the janitor’s cart.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Helping him clean!”

 

“You’re not serious, are you?”

 

“Why? It’ll be fun,” she said pushing the cart towards the back window.

 

While Jaemi began spraying, L.Joe came up from the side, “Can’t believe I’m actually going to clean windows at 3 in the morning.”

 

After about 15 minutes, L.Joe gave up and sat on the floor, “Okay, I’m done with this.”

 

Jaemi scoffed, “At least wipe down that last window,” she said throwing a rag right at his face.

 

Jaemi cupped in shock, but started to laugh right after.

 

L.Joe slowly grabbed the rag off his face with his eyes closed and then he looked at her, “You’re going to regret this,” he said getting up.


Seeing him prepare to come after her, Jaemi dropped everything and began to run, trying to find a place to hide. With L.Joe literally a few feet away from her, she had no choice but to run into her father’s office. However, with his quick pace, L.Joe somehow managed to be right behind her when she walked through the door. He grabbed onto her arm and tried to turn her around, but instead, she suddenly stumbled over her own foot which caused the both of them to fall. Next thing they knew, L.Joe was on top of her with his face literally 2 inches away from hers.

 


Hope you all had fun on 4th of July!