Chapter 2

Hidden Raindrop

Kijoon took one last glance of Korea before stepping onto the plane with his newlywed wife and Jaemi in her arms. Being recently married, he was afraid what his wife would say, but when he told her everything, she happily accepted and agreed on keeping Jaemi. They looked at one another with a smile and headed inside the plane.

 

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight KE805! We are currently second in line for take-off to San Jose, California and are expected to be in the air in approximately six minutes time. For your safety, we ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggages underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Thank you for choosing Korean Air. Enjoy your flight.

 

 

A few hours in the air and Kijoon’s wife and Jaemi were fast asleep. Kijoon looked at them with a smile before looking out of the plane. He laid back and closed his eyes and let out a soft sigh before thinking back to what Monk Seon said.

 

FLASHBACK

Kijoon nodded his head and agreed on taking care of Jaemi.

 

Monk Seon sighed in relief, “But, there is one other thing you have to do.”

 

He looked up, “What do you mean?”

 

“You have to leave Korea. It isn’t safe for Jaemi to live here. Living in the same country where her mother died would give Jaemi powers and skills that she shouldn’t have at this age, especially if she isn’t going to be growing any time soon.”

 

“What, I—”

 

“For Jaemi’s sake, please. I will prepare everything for you. Just… please,” he pleaded.

 

He let out a deep sigh, “Then when can I return back to Korea?”

 

Monk Seon looked at Jaemi, “It depends on the ninth tail. If it appears, you can return back when she’s turns exactly 18. That’s when she’ll be ready. But if it doesn’t appear, then…. never.”

END of FLASHBACK

 

 

For the past few years, Kijoon has been working as a director for Korea’s biggest hotel company, Rain. Luckily for him, the company allowed him to work overseas in order to help with international deals. Everything was going smoothly, until two years later. Tragedies hit. His connections with the hotel got cut off and he lost almost everything. He tried contacting them, but was constantly being pushed away as if he was unwanted or unneeded. Losing hope that they were ever going to contact him again, Kijoon began looking for another job and ended up working in the construction field. After months of working, he finally had enough money to support his pregnant wife and Jaemi. Unfortunately, during the same year, his wife passed away while giving birth to their son, Um Jaesung—also known as Jason Um. Kijoon was devastated and felt that his life was completely flipped upside down. He couldn’t sleep nor eat properly, but he was a fighter and managed to raise Jaemi and Jaesung on his own.

 

A few months passed and Jaesung was growing up to be a handsome boy while Jaemi still remained a baby. A year flew by and Kijoon was slowly beginning to lose hope on the last tail to ever appear.

 

 

“You’re almost there!” the doctor hollered.

 

“AHHHHHHHHH!” the lady yelled.

 

Within a few seconds, the baby was finally born. While finishing things up, the doctor’s eye suddenly widen in shock. He saw something he couldn’t believe his eyes.

 

“Doctor Kim,” one of the nurses called.

 

He cleared his throat and looked up, “Congratulations Mrs. Lee, you did really well.”

 

After cleaning up, Doctor Kim directed the nurses to take Mrs. Lee back to her room while he went back to his office. He sat at his desk and started to think about what he saw. The baby’s neck had a strange fox-like birthmark, but that wasn’t the strange part. For a few seconds, it was glowing blue. He quickly shook his head, “No, I was probably seeing things,” he told himself before getting back to work.

 


Kijoon was in the kid’s room reading them a bedtime story. After a couple of minutes, they were both fast asleep. He tucked Jaesung into bed and placed Jaemi in her crib. He carefully tiptoed away and closed the door, but before he could walk away, Jaemi suddenly started to cry. He ran back in and his eyes quickly widened. Her eyes were glowing blue—but that wasn’t all—her mark was also glowing blue.