Chapter 30*

Hidden Raindrop

A few weeks passed and everything has been going smoothly. Or to be exact, the same.

 

Kijoon still went to the hospital monthly to check up on his health. Jaemi has officially started to work for Rain on the weekends and whenever she is free, she spends most of her time with Monk Seon, where they have grown very close to each other. And of course, Jaemi is still going to the rooftop everyday. Even though the bullying has reduced down, Jaemi still loved going up there.

 

 

It was Saturday and Jaemi went ahead and got ready to go to work.

 

 

“Great work with the partnership evaluation,” thanked Chairman Lee.

 

“Thank you sir. I hope I made the decision easier for you.”

 

“Actually, you made the decision easier for yourself.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“The reason why I asked you to do this was because I wanted you to chose a partnership for Rain. I trust your judgement, so let me know which business you would want us to partner up with by next week.”

 

“Sir, I—”

 

But before Jaemi could finish her sentence, Chairman Lee had already left the room.

 

Jaemi spent her day looking over each partnership again. Double and triple checking each one, she only went through nine of them.

 

It was only 4 PM, so Jaemi decided to come by Monk Seon’s house again. She went to his favorite eatery, Hanchu Fried Chicken, to order some of his favorite meals.

 

 

Kai was on his way home and wanted to buy fried chicken for his uncle again. Kai walked passed by a familiar girl holding a bag from Hanchu. Casually, he looked back, but he continued walking as usual again.

 

“How are you, samchon?” Kai asked when he walked into Hanchu Fried Chicken.

 

“Ah, Kai! I’m doing well. The usual, right?”

 

“Yes sir. Fried chicken and fried green pepper with pork.”

 

“We actually just ran out of green peppers after selling our last batch to the last customer that just walked out. Someone already went to the market, but it might take an hour for it to cook. Do you want to order something else?”

 

“No, it’s okay, I’ll wait. Just let me know when they are ready.”

 

Kai patiently waited an hour for the food and when it was ready, he walked home.

 

Kai was about a block away from his house when he saw his uncle with the girl he saw earlier holding the Hanchu bag. They were both at the front door as Monk Seon waved at the girl goodbye and went back inside.

 

Kai reached home and walked into the kitchen to see empty togo boxes from Hanchu.

 

“Kai, you’re home early.”

 

“Yeah… who was the girl?”

 

“She’s just a student of mine. She’s failing my class and I’m just offered her some help by tutoring her.”

 

“Oh, how did she know you liked to eat at Hanchu?”

 

“Lucky guess I suppose,” Monk Seon fibbed, “Let me clean up, and we can eat together.”

 

“No, it’s okay. We can just eat this tomorrow. I don’t want you to force yourself to eat more.”

 

“Okay, well you can go ahead and eat it. I’ll be in my office if you need me.”

 

Kai nodded and Monk Seon left.

 

Kai placed his togo food in the fridge and went to his room. He sat on his bed, not fully believing his uncle’s story for some reason.

 

“I’m so confused right now,” Kai said to himself.

 

 

It was Sunday and Jaemi went to work like normal, and after work, she headed to Monk Seon’s place.

 

Since Monk Seon always ate fried chicken, Jaemi wanted to treat him out for something different. She was about to ring the doorbell when the door opened.

 

“Jaemi.”

 

“Kai?”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“What are you doing here?” Jaemi questioned back.

 

Kai let out a small laugh, “I live here remember.”

 

“Right!” Jaemi played along, “You live here.”

 

“Did you want to talk to me?”

 

“Uh, yeah,” Jaemi fibbed.

 

Kai looked at her waiting.

 

“Oh, yeah! Uh… I wanted to ask you if uh… if you wanted to hang out!” Jaemi stuttered, “Yeah, hang out!”

 

Kai laughed at her way of asking, “Okay.”

 

Kai closed the door and walked out, “Are you coming?”

 

“Right now?”

 

“Yeah, when else?”

 

“Oh, yeah of course. Duh!” Jaemi said as she ran to him, still confused about the whole conversation.

 

Confused and curious, Jaemi had so many questions she wanted to ask.

 

“Do you live alone?” Jaemi asked casually.

 

“No. I actually live with my uncle.”

 

“Uncle? What about your parents?”

 

“They passed away when I was a kid.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up.”

 

“It’s okay, you didn’t know.”

 

Jaemi nodded and they walked in silence.

 

The whole time they hung out, all Jaemi could think about was how Monk Seon could have been related to Kai. She couldn’t believe the fact until she heard Monk Seon say it himself.

 

 

Like any usual school day, Jaemi went up to the rooftop during break and lunch. Even though she sits there alone doing nothing, she can’t help but feel at peace.

 

“You know you can’t hide forever, right?”

 

Startled, Jaemi jumped a little and let out a sigh, “I’m not.”

 

“Then why are you always up here?” L.Joe asked.

 

“It’s just… peaceful,” Jaemi cooed, “No one’s around and I have nothing to worry about.”

 

“But you’re making others worried for you.”

 

Knowing he was talking about Jieun, Jaemi got a little offensive.

 

“Why does it matter to you about the people around me?”

 

L.Joe got up, “It doesn’t, but not everyone is lucky enough to have someone who cares for them.”

 

He walked away.

 

Jaemi let out a deep sigh and continued to sit on the rooftop.

 

 

L.Joe went back to Kai and his friends.

 

“Where did you go?” Kai asked.

 

“Bathroom.”

 

L.Joe sat down with the guys and saw Jieun sitting alone across the cafeteria. Before he knew it, a girl sat in front of Jieun. He looked at her and let out a happy smirk.

 

 

Jieun lifted her head up.

 

“I’m sorry, for everything. Do you think you can forgive me?” Jaemi apologized.

 

Jieun didn’t say anything but give Jaemi a grumpy expression.

 

“Please? I promise I won’t do it again!”

 

Jieun looked away and let out a sigh, “Fine.”

 

Jaemi ran to give Jieun a hug, which made Jieun laugh.

 

“Oh looks who’s back from hiding,” Suzy teased, “I’m surprised you aren’t ashamed of yourself. I mean, if I were you, I would never show my face again.”

 

“Great, because no one wants to see that face anyways,” Jaemi said back.

 

Suzy let out a scoff, “How dare—”

 

“I’m sorry what? You said your nose was a Christmas gift?” Jaemi announced loudly.

 

Half the people in the cafeteria giggled to themselves.

 

“You better watch it new girl, or you’ll be sorry,” Suzy threatened, “Come on girls.”

 

Jaemi and Jieun chuckled when the girls left.

 

“Wow, you are still aggressive as always.”

 

“Hey, things never change.”


The two laughed and continued to talk.

 


Sorry for being gone for so long! I know I said I will update more after I finish school, but I have been addicted to this new show called Mako Mermaids on Netflix, LOL! Don't worry, I finished both series, so I will TRY to update more. Also, I'm going to attempt to make all my chapters longer from now on, so I hope you will enjoy that! :)