Chapter 29*

Hidden Raindrop

Monk Seon walked into his office to see his nephew looking at his work.

 

“Kai, what are you doing in here?”

 

“What is this uncle?” Kai questioned back, “Do you believe in this myth?”

 

“No, no. I’m just doing a little research for my next lecture.”

 

“Uncle…” Kai said in a low voice, “What’s really going on?”

 

Monk Seon sighed.

 

“Uncle, you can trust me. You were there for me when my parents passed away and I’ll be there for you. You just have to… let me in.”

 

“You’re right. It’s not something I can hide from you forever,” Monk Seon conceded.

 

Monk Seon spent the whole night explaining to Kai about everything that has happened over the past 25 years. He, of course, did not mention any names to protect Jaemi.

 

“I can’t believe it. So gumihos are real…” Kai said in awe, “and the last one is my age.”

 

 

Jaemi woke up the next morning to be greeted by her brother and father downstairs.

 

“GOOOOD MORNING SLEEPYHEAD!” Jaesung teased.

 

“MOOORNING… Non-sleepyhead?”

 

“Oh, nice one,” Jaesung said sarcastically.

 

“Oh shush,” she said hitting her brother lightly, “How are you appa? What did the doctor say?”

 

“I’m doing well. The doctor said I’m improving.”

 

“That’s good to hear!” Jaemi cheered as she walked over to get a cup of water.

 

“So, Chairman Lee called.”

 

Jaemi choked on her water, “Oh did he. Uh… what did he say?”

 

“He told me he offered you a job—”

 

“Appa, I know I know. I’m still young and I need to focus on school. BUT, this could be a great experience; getting to know what it’s like to run a business and getting skills I never knew I had. Plus, you need your rest. It’s just twice a week and I’m old enough to handle it—”

 

“Okay.”

 

“And—” Jaemi paused for a moment, “Wait… okay? You’re not against it?”

 

“Nope. You’re right. You are old enough to make your own decisions and I’m not always going to be there next to you to tell you what to do. So if you really want to do it, go ahead.”

 

“Oh my gosh, THANK YOU APPA!” Jaemi jumped to hug him, “You won’t regret this!”

 

“Okay, okay,” Kijoon laughed, “Now, go buy me a piece of cake for being a great dad!”

 

“No, I should go buy a WHOLE cake to celebrate this day!”

 

“Even better!” Jaesung exclaimed.

 

Jaemi went out to the front door and was closing the gates until she got a phone call from Jieun.

 

Jaemi let out a sigh and hung up.

 

“Thanks for hanging up.”

 

“AHHH!” Jaemi jumped, “What are you doing here?”

 

“You know how difficult it is to ask the guys where you live?” Jieun retorted, “What’s going on? I haven’t seen you at school for the past few days.”

 

“It’s nothing,” Jaemi said walking away.

 

“Jaemi, why are you ignoring me?”

 

“Just leave me alone, okay?”

 

Jaemi walked off leaving Jieun alone on the streets.

 

 

Jaemi walked into a cake bakery and walked passed a familiar lady. Curious, Jaemi followed her and noticed it was the pojangmacha lady.

 

“Jaekyung imo!” Jaemi called from afar.

 

The lady turned the corner and when Jaemi ran to her, the lady disappeared.

 

“Weird… I’m positive I saw her,” Jaemi said to herself.

 

Jaemi turned back and bumped into someone.

 

“Watch where you’re going,” a guy said.

 

“Wha—” Jaemi let out a scoff, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I could be asking you the same thing,” L.Joe said back.

 

“Why are you always stalking me?” Jaemi retorted, “Are you some type of ert?”

 

L.Joe let out a huge scoff and walked off, “Whatever.”

 

Why is he always wondering around? Jaemi thought.

 

Jaemi walked back to the bakery, but suddenly, her vision became blurry and before she knew it, everything turned black.

 

 

Jaemi woke up a few hours later to see a familiar figure in front of her.

 

“L.Joe?” Jaemi whispered softly.

 

“Oh, you’re awake. Here, drink some water.”

 

The figure came closer, “Kai?”

 

“Yeah? How are you feeling?”

 

“I’m fine but, what— wait, how did I get here?” Jaemi questioned.

 

Kai got up to put the glass of water away, “L.Joe called and said it was urgent. He just told me you fainted in front of the cake store.”

 

“Cake?” Jaemi said under her breathe. CAKE?! Jaemi thought.

 

Jaemi reached for her phone to look at any missed messages. 14 missed calls & 6 messages from Jaesung and Kijoon.

 

“Oh gosh, I have to go,” Jaemi said getting up, “Thank you for everything though.”

 

Jaemi dashed out of the house without looking back.

 

 

“Jaemi, where were you?” Jaesung asked as she walked through the door, “Were you even at the bakery? Where’s the cake?”

 

“I, uh… Kind of out?”

 

“What?” Kijoon exclaimed.

 

“Yeah… but I’m okay now! Luckily, my friend found me.”

 

“That’s still dangerous. We have to talk to Monk Seon to make sure you are okay.”

 

“I’ll visit him now. I actually need to talk to him too.”

 

“Are you sure you can go alone? I’ll come with you in case something happens again,” Jaesung offered.

 

“No, it’s okay.”

 

 

Jaemi arrived at the cabin and knocked on the door, but no one answered. She took a peek inside, but the cabin was pitched black.

 

She went ahead and gave him a call, “Monk Seon, where are you?”

 

“On my way home, is something wrong?”

 

“I need to talk to you about something. I’m outside your cabin right now.”

 

“You are? Actually, I’ll text you a different address. I’ll meet you there.”

 

 

Jaemi went to the new address and waited for Monk Seon outside.

 

“Come in,” Monk Seon said when he reached his house.

 

Jaemi walked into a very familiar home.

 

“This way,” Monk Seon instrusted before Jaemi could look around.

 

“Is this your home?” Jaemi asked.

 

“Yeah, I have been living here for about 20 years.”

 

“What about the cabin?”

 

“It doesn’t belong to anyone anymore,” Monk Seon answered, “But, what did you want to talk to me about?”

 

Jaemi explained to him what happened a few hours ago.

 

“Let me see your transformation again.”

 

Jaemi did as he asked and everything went fine.

 

“I can’t give you an answer right now, but I promise I will when I find out.”

 

Jaemi nodded and walked out, “Oh, one more thing. I’m not sure if this is relevant or not, but lately I have been seeing this lady around a lot. I saw her the day I came back to Korea and a few times these past few weeks. I actually met her once in a pojangmacha. I think she goes by the name, Jaekyung? I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. I just thought I’d let you know.”

 

Right when Jaemi walked out, Monk Seon sat in his desk in complete shock.


“Jaekyung?” he whispered.

 


Thank you again for voting for the new poster! Hope you enjoy this chapter! <3