Chapter 42*

Hidden Raindrop

Seeing his face so close, Jaemi’s heart began to rapidly beat faster. Not knowing what to do, she quickly closed her eyes. L.Joe, too, was shocked at how close their face were, but he somehow couldn’t look away. However, right when Jaemi closed her eyes, L.Joe came back to his senses.

 

“Did you want me to kiss you?” he said smirking.

 

Surprised by his words, Jaemi quickly pushed him off with her back facing him.

 

“You closed your eyes because you were expecting a kiss, right?” he continued to tease.

 

She turned around to glare at him and quickly ran out of her father’s office.

 

Right when she left, L.Joe’s laugh quickly turned into a sigh.

 

 

The next morning, Jaemi found herself on the couch in her father’s office.

 

“Morning darling,” Kijoon said.

 

“Appa?” she called, “How did I get here?”

 

“L.Joe carried you in here this morning when you fell asleep.”

 

“When I fell asl— Omo, the project!”

 

Jaemi quickly jumped up and ran out of the office. When she arrived in the project room, L.Joe was asleep on the desk.

 

“Wake up!” she shook him, “We have to finish the proposal!”

 

“It’s already done,” he said half asleep.

 

“It is?” she said looking through their work, “Oh, well let’s give Chairman Lee the proposal then.”

 

He lifted his hand and pointed at his cheek with his eyes still closed, “Give me a wake up kiss.”

 

“Bleh,” she said walking out of the room.

 

L.Joe laughed and got up.

 

 

Once they walked out the door, L.Joe stretched his arms up in the air, “Glad that’s done.”

 

“I know, all that weight is finally off my shoulders.”

 

Suddenly, Jaemi’s stomach began to growl. She quickly held onto her stomach from embarrassment.

 

L.Joe laughed, “Should we celebrate with lunch?”

 

She looked at him and nodded.

 

 

When their food came out, Jaemi went straight towards the meat.

 

“You really love meat don’t you?” L.Joe chuckled.

 

Jaemi smiled.

 

After stuffing , Jaemi took the courage and asked L.Joe a few questions.

 

“I know this might be personal, but is it true that you were with almost every girl in our school and other schools too?”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing, nothing. Forget it.”

 

“Where did you hear that?”

 

“Everyone talks about it, but I find it hard to believe. I mean, the whole school AND other schools?” she answered, eating another piece of meat, “That seems almost impossible.”

 

He laughed, “I guess that’s not entirely wrong.”

 

Jaemi stopped eating, “So you were actually with all those girls?”

 

“I dated them, but none of them were serious. Why? Was your heart curious about my love life?”

 

She choked on her water, “You’re real funny.”

 

L.Joe moved his arm, but accidentally knocked over his spoon. When he bent down to reach it, Jaemi decided to take his chopsticks from his hands, but when she reached over, a blue electricity wave appeared again. When he went back up, Jaemi quickly pulled her hand back.

 

He looked at her, “Did you do something?”

 

“Huh? No, no.”

 

 

They headed back to the hotel headquarters once they finished eating. L.Joe went upstairs first and suddenly Jaemi hears a loud scream coming towards her.

 

“AHHHHHHHH, JAEMI!!” a girl shrieked from outside the building.

 

Jaemi turned around to a sudden hug.

 

“Jaemi, do you remember me?” she asked, “It’s me, Areum! Remember… the girl at the party?”

 

She smiled, “Oh, yeah! What are you doing here?”

 

“My dad was working, so I thought I would come by and see you too!”

 

“Oh,” she said, not knowing how to respond.

 

“Are you busy right now?”

 

“Um… I don’t think I am—”

 

“Great! Why don’t we go shopping? I haven’t been to the mall in forever! Come on!” she said dragging Jaemi.

 

“I don’t think that’s a good ide—”

 

“It will just be for a few hours!”

 

 

After two hours, Jaemi became exhausted.

 

“Shouldn’t we head back now?” Jaemi asked.

 

Areum giggled, “Okay, let’s head ba— OMO, look at those shoes!” she said running towards the store.

 

Jaemi let out a smile of disbelief. She followed behind her, but suddenly stops when she sees a beautiful handbag in front of the store’s window display.

 

“You should get it!” Areum said.

 

“Huh? Did you get the shoes you wanted?” Jaemi asked.

 

“They didn’t have my size, but you should get that bag if you like it.”

 

“No, it’s fine. I—I don’t really like it.”

 

“Don’t really like it? I saw you staring at the bag for the longest time! Why not?”

 

Jaemi slightly laughed, “I’m sure that bag isn’t within my budget.”

 

Areum looked at Jaemi, “Isn’t your dad the VP of Rain?”

 

“Yeah, but I can do better things with that money than buy a bag. Come on, let’s get back to the hotel.”

 

She looked at the bag and then at Jaemi walking away, but followed her right after.

 

 

When they arrived back, Jaemi got off the car.

 

“Thanks for the shopping trip,” she smiled.

 

Areum smiled back, “Thanks for coming along with me. It has been awhile since I went out with a friend.”

 

Jaemi smiled again and walked in.

 

“Wait!” Areum said getting off the car, “You forgot something.”

 

Her driver opened the trunk and she took out a shopping bag and gave it to Jaemi.

 

“What is this?”

 

“My gift to you!” Areum said.

 

Jaemi looked at her in confusion and looked inside the bag. She let out a gasp to see the bag she saw at the window, “Areum, I can’t take this.”

 

“No, I really want you to. I haven’t hung out with a real friend in a long time, and the fact that you went out with me today means a lot. I really want you to keep this.”

 

Jaemi looked at her speechless.

 

Areum laughed and gave her a hug, “I’ll see you next time, okay? Bye!”

 

Jaemi waved as Areum’s car drove away. Suddenly, Jaemi’s phone rang.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, what time do you get off of work today?” JB asked.

 

She looked at the time on her phone and placed her phone back to her ear, “About an hour, why?”

 

“Should we do more research? I found a few books that might be helpful.”

 

“Really? Yeah, I’ll come by after work.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll come by to pick you up. Might as well visit my father too.”

 

Jaemi giggled, “Alright, I’ll see you in an hour then.”

 

 

L.Joe noticed Jaemi standing outside waiting for someone.

 

“Waiting for me?” he joked.

 

She scoffed, “No, I’m waiting for a friend.”

 

“A friend?”

 

Suddenly a familiar Ferrari showed up in front of the hotel and all L.Joe could do was scoff to the side.

 

JB got out of his car and went over to Jaemi and looked at him, “L.Joe,” he greeted.

 

L.Joe looked back at him, “JB.”

 

Noticing the awkward tension, Jaemi interrupted, “Why don’t we go inside and say ‘hi’ to your dad?”

 

JB nodded and followed her.

 

When they entered, L.Joe turned his head back to look at them.

 

 

“Where did you get all these books?” Jaemi asked flipping through the pages, “These facts are really interesting.”

 

“Some lady was giving them away in the streets.”

 

Jaemi looked at him, “And you took them? Isn’t that a bit sketchy?”

 

“They were free! And they were surprisingly about gumihos too, so why not?”

 

“Well whoever she is, I’m glad you bumped into her.”

 

He smiled, “You know what. Now that I think about it, the lady who gave me these books looked pretty similar to you.”

 

She looked at him in disbelief and laughed, “By the way, didn’t you say Krystal was moving over here soon? I mean a few months have already passed, but she still isn’t here. I miss little Krystal,” she pouted but then paused, “Actually, now that I think of it, isn’t it funny how you, me, and Krystal are all going to be living in Korea now? I mean, what are the chances that the three of us will all be moving here in the same year, or just moving here at all,” she said laughing, “And I still can’t believe my two best friends are dating!”

 

JB remained silent and wasn’t able to look at Jaemi in the eyes.

 

She looked at him, “What, did something happen?”

 

“Huh? Oh, she had to delay her arrival because of her dad’s work, but she should be coming over here soon,” he said flipping through the book.

 

She continued to look at JB, sensing something was still wrong.

 

He let out a sigh, “Also… we broke up.”

 

Jaemi lowered the book to her lap, “What? Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I didn’t think it was important since we broke up before I left the States, plus we are still great friends.”

 

She looked at him, “JB…”

 

He patted her head, “I’m fine,” he said smiling.

 

She looked at him again and went back to her reading.

 

 

“Okay, generally I am always on your side, but what you are saying right now is crazy,” a girl said.

 

“I have to agree with her on that. Do you have a fever or something?” another girl said touching her forehead.

 

Suzy shoved her hands away, “I am not crazy. I am telling you, Jaemi isn’t human,” she looked around and whispered, “She’s a gumiho. I heard her say it myself.”

 

“You do know that gumihos are myths, right?”

 

“I can’t believe I am friends with a lunatic.”

 

“You know what, I’ll prove it to you guys. I’ll prove it to the whole school what a freak she is,” Suzy said walking away, “And you will regret not believing me.”

 

The girls looked at her and then at each other in confusion.

 

 

After school, Suzy sat in the library and started to search about gumihos online.

 

“Do they only change during a full moon?” Suzy sat there pondering after an hour of searching.

 

She started to think, “Cafeteria… cafeteria… what made her change…”

 

Suddenly it hit her, Suzy quickly got up and ran out of the library.

 

 

The next day in the cafeteria, Suzy walked over to her group of friends.

 

They looked at her, “Did you finally give up on your delusional thought?” they laughed.

 

She gave them an obvious fake smile and walked away.

 

SLAM

 

The whole cafeteria turned to look.

 

Jaemi looked up to see Suzy, but turned away, “Do you have a problem?”

 

Suzy said nothing but smiled at her as she reached over towards Jieun’s meal. Unable to say anything, Jieun sat there with her head down.

 

Suzy took a sip of water.


“Why don’t you get your own food,” Jaemi said sternly.

 

Suzy smiled at her, “Oh don’t worry, this isn’t for me.”

 

Confused, Jaemi turned to look at her.

 

Suzy’s smile disappeared, “It’s for you,” she said as she poured water down Jaemi’s head.

 

Everyone gasped at the sudden action.

 

“What are you doing!?” Jieun exclaimed.

 

Suzy grabbed a handful of rice and threw it on top of Jaemi’s head.

 

“Stop!” Jieun continued.

 

“How do you feel?” Suzy said smirking.

 

Jaemi slammed her hands onto the table and stood up to face Suzy.


Suzy looked straight back at her, smiled, and then whispered, “Angry?”