See You Later

"Ya! Park Chanyeoool!"

"So you mean to tell me that you two had the greatest night of your lives together and you still decided to not get back together? Why didn't you tell me this last week?!" Luhan asks Baekhyun.

"If you put it that way, then yeah," Baekhyun replies indifferently. "And I don't know, I just thought that it shouldn't...be a big deal that's all," he's sitting in one of the many white plastic chairs, organized in row after row in front of a big stage. Beside him is Chanyeol, who's nodding in agreement, an arm around Baekyhun's shoulders that basically doesn't convince the rest of the people around them that the two aren't together anymore.

"So you guys are saying that just because Baekhyun wants to study here in Seoul and you're still set on going abroad to study, that you don't wanna try the long distance relationship thing at all?" Haylee asks.

"Don't even want to finish these next two days with each other as a couple before Chanyeol leaves?" Kyungsoo asks beside Baekhyun. He and Luhan share stupefied looks at the two before them, acting as comfortable as they were before the news of their break up and Chanyeol's leaving was announced among the group.

"It's not like Chanyeol's leaving permanently," Baekhyun adds with a huff. It was getting really tiring being asked questions about something he really wants to move on from. The feeling of Chanyeol's arm around him doesn't help with the situation either, so he lets out a small cough and nudges the giant's arm off, not noticing the dejected look on Chanyeol's face after. Luhan and Haylee notice though, which only justifies how they don't believe crap coming out of the two.

"You two do know that graduation is tomorrow right? Hence why we've been here for the past four hours practicing with our class for the last time?" Haylee asks.

"Yes, we're fully aware. I wouldn't be sitting here in this hot weather if I didn't know. Plus, he's just going abroad to study and get some training done at a  starting branch off in California for his family's company. Then he's coming back," Baekhyun continues with a smile. "Right Yeol?" The brunette turns to look up at his ex boyfriend for assurance.

They haven't talked it out, the details and all of how they were to keep in contact with each other while Chanyeol was away, or what they were to do after when he came back. But what they have talked about were their plans for their own futures. The day after prom had been one filled with sharing of sentiments and the overall talk that life isn't always going to be the same, and that they were ready for a change even if it meant not actually being together anymore. In the midst of those conversations was an agreement that because Chanyeol was leaving and Baekhyun was staying and they were both to focus on studies and their own companies, it was enough to say that they would be too busy to keep relationship, especially long distance. So over a bowl of Chanyeol's favorite cereal, as lovers they'd decided to put that off for a time when they were settled in their lives, but as bestfriends, Chanyeol and Baekhyun chose that that would remain.

It's kind of hard for Baekhyun to keep a straight face though because really, inside, he still doesn't want Chanyeol to leave. He doesn't want his bestfriend who's always been there, be it protecting him, annoying him, or making him smile, to leave. Prom night might have been the best night of his life, with how he fully felt himself give his whole existence to Chanyeol and felt that the giant was doing the same. Baekhyun doesn't know much about love or anything, and he's seen enough movies and heard enough stories that not all high school relationships last after high school. His parents and Chanyeol's were probably the only examples of high school sweethearts who ended up married to each other.  In his mind, people aren't not supposed to take what they had in high school and bring it into college, where they're supposed to fully find themselves and pave their futures. If he were to mingle with the thought that he and Chanyeol should be together forever, he'd feel like they were just together because they've always been, and because everyone else thinks that they were meant to stay together. He's not thinking of marriage right now, he's not ready for that, but what he does know is that he can see himself with Chanyeol by his side for the long run. And although he doesn't believe in that stuff, he wishes that he and Chanyeol could end up as married highschool sweethearts too, just like their parents, and in the future, their siblings. He just can't see himself with anyone else but the giant.

This is why Baekhyun didn't want the rest of them to know that he and Chanyeol decided to just move on from whatever they had, because he knew that Luhan would just be a skeptical who, even though he doesn't always believe in happy ever afters, believes that he and Chanyeol should remain together. He knew that Luhan would be hard on them. It's infuriating sometimes, having people tell him what they think when it's his own relationship, friendship with Chanyeol and not a friendship between him, Chanyeol, and a third party.

"I don't see what's the big deal here you guys," Chanyeol finally says. He's laid back against his chair, arms on either side of him while he has his long legs casually stretched in front of him. "Baekhyun and I just didn't think that it would be right to hold each other down. I didn't think it would be right to hold each other down. There's a lot of possibilities, but mainly two come in to mind. If he and I were to stay together, even if we were far apart for the next three to four years, we could either maintain a long distance relationship that involves waiting for sweet calls whenever we can, video chats and messages that cheer each other on, and planning out small trips just to see each other whenever we can. It could be fine, I mean I guess Baekhyun and I can do that," he doesn't see Baekhyun shift in his seat. Doesn't see that the brunette was now fully anticipating a way out of whatever they agreed to.

"But there's also a possibility that we could do all those things but it wouldn't work out in the end, long conversations turn into short ones because we're too busy with school and work to put in time, and constant messages turn into ones that are barely sent once a week. And I don't know about Baekhyun, but I don't want to be sitting by my phone waiting for a message or call that might not even last long because we're too tired."

"Have you ever thought that maybe it would work though hyung?" Kyungsoo asks. His eyebrows are furrowed as he looks to Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He doesn't believe them. "Don't you think that maybe it'd work if you guys at least tried? I mean, it might not be the same, but I'm going to try with Jongin and Luhan hyung's going to China with Sehun for the summer. And I think that you two are jumping to conclu-"

"We've already agreed to it Soo," Baekhyun interrupts. "Besides, we're doing well so far....," he shifts in his seat. "I think that this is best for us anyways. I think that maybe Chanyeol and I've been dependent on each other for too long and it's time for a change." He turns to his best friend and gives the giant a smile. "Right?" He asks Chanyeol. "There's nothing to discuss. No worries or regrets."

"Y-Yeah," Chanyeol stutters as he agrees. Although in the inside, he doesn't, but Baekhyun. Oh Baekhyun. Baekhyun excuses himself once he's called over to practice his valedictorian speech for the third time today. Kyungsoo and Luhan are left to watch, Haylee having left to sit with Lay. 

 

Chanyeol sits there with the two, watching Baekhyun climb up the stairs and walk up to the podium to stand in front of the mic. He knows what the smaller's going to say, at least the parts that Baekhyun asked him for help with. But Chanyeol knows Baekhyun didn't get the honor of being valedictorian just to blank out on a speech he has to say in front of the graduating class and their parents. He vaguely remembers Baekhyun talking about being thrown into a new environment and gradually making lasting friendships and learning as much that's shaped who he is. And as he thinks about it, Chanyeol gets an epiphany. Baekhyun's valedictorian. Baekhyun's smart. Baekhyun's capable. Baekhyun had a relationship while juggling rigorous school work with him. So why had they agreed to not trying long distance?

Everything was just going too fast. And Chanyeol was beginning to think that it was a mistake agreeing with Baekhyun. A part of him regrets he was leaving, but he wants to take on the chance to improve himself. He's always felt that he was somewhat immature, laid back with everything, believer of everything working out. It happens sometimes, so he's really hoping that studying abroad will mature him even more, shape him to be a better man. And he knows that Baekhyun will do fine here. It pains Chanyeol that their plans didn't go the way they wanted. He'd wanted to disagree earlier. It is a big deal. How's Chanyeol supposed to move on from thirteen years and six months of being together with Baekhyun, only for it to end with a four year hiatus? Really, growing up could be such a pain in the , but Baekhyun had acted so indifferent about it, and these days Chanyeol's not even sure what the other was thinking, like as if Baekhyun was actually shutting him out. So much for being bestfriends.

Chanyeol gets up from his seat and Luhan and Kyungsoo turn to ask him where he's going, only to find Chanyeol sending a longing look Baekhyun's way while the other was talking to their principal. Chanyeol gives Baekhyun one more look before walking away, hands in his pockets and shoulders slumped, leaving Luhan and Kyungsoo with sad expressions.

Practice was finally over.

 

 

 

It hits Baekhyun only then, while he's standing in front of their houses dressed in robes, with Chanyeol's arm around him again, their faces cramping from having smiled for pictures for too long, that this was his last day with Chanyeol physically beside him. And as the giant's arm is around his shoulders, Baekhyun tightens his arms around the giant's waist and doesn't care for their parents' cameras when he squeezes and shoves his face into Chanyeol's side. Baekhyun feels Chanyeol tense for a second before he eases another arm around Baekhyun and pulls him in for a proper hug. It's warm, strong, protective, safe, familiar.

There it is. The feeling that Baekhyn's been trying to ignore.

It almost makes him want to cry.

 

Chanyeol has his chin placed on Baekhyun's head while the other clutches on to him. He's doing the same and Chanyeol can't help but feel like as if Baekhyun was saying goodbye a little too early. like as if he was preparing himself for later. He doesn't want Baekhyun to think that way.

Chanyeol already has his bags packed inside his father's car. His passport and boarding pass are inside his carry on, along with a jacket Baekhyun bought him and his other necessities. Baekhyun's coming with him to the airport after their graduation and so was the rest of the group. It's nice that he'd be able to see them before he leaves but Chanyeol doesn't want to think about later right now, just, wants to linger in the moment with the guy in his arms.

"Let's kick some Byun Baekhyun," Chanyeol whispers into Baekhyun's ears.

"God, Park Chanyeol don't make me cry," Baekhyun whispers back. "I swear I'll rip up your boarding pass."

Chanyeol chuckles into Baekhyun's hair and leads them to the car, their parents sharing knowing looks. Everyone seems to be doing that these days.

 

 

 

Chanyeol watches Baekhyun climb up the stage for the second time with his diploma in hand, to finally give his speech, and Chanyeol couldn't have felt any prouder to call him his boyfriend. Wait, bestfriend. He looks around him to find that Luhan was calming down Haylee and Taeyeon who were teary eyed while Kyungsoo was rolling his eyes and telling them they're still seeing each other later. Jongdae sits beside them, silently cracking jokes with his boyfriend to ease himself. Chanyeol chuckles when Minseok rolls his eyes at him and mouths, 'Help me'. Beside Chanyeol is Kris, stoic as ever, no sign of sadness or nostalgia, just a proud smile on his face as he watches Baekhyun give his speech. Chanyeol's always admired that about Kris, the way the older Chinese male maintains a strong personality and held togetherness. Far away, he can make out Baekhyun's parents recording him as they sit beneath a large umbrella with Chanyeol's and snorts. Of course.

"So as we sit here in this hot weather, probably sweating uncomfortably in these robes," the crowd laughs at Baekhyun joke. "I hope you guys remember that we shared this moment, just like the rest. All of us, together. It's been one heck of a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs but we made it and no one's puked yet," the audience laughs again and Baekhyun laughs along when Jongdae makes gagging noises. "That's disgusting Jongdae. Seriously."

"I stand here before you, giving this valedictorian speech not to brag that I had the highest grades or worked harder than the rest, but I'm here today because I wanted to say thanks, to all of you. Thanks for being here for the past three years, for sharing it with me and for creating bonds with each other that we'll take into the future. And thanks for striving just as hard as I have. We've just finished another chapter of our lives," Baekhyun chokes out as he scans the crowd and finally finds Chanyeol. The giant's smiling at him proudly and a gush of pride rushes through Baekhyun too. Maintaing eye contact with a wide smile he says, "Now it's time to buckle up and brace ourselves, because there's a much larger rollercoaster ride of life we call college. It'll be scary, but the rush will be worth it. Congratulations Class of 2015! Let's kick some !"

As soon as the last words come out of Baekhyun's mouth, the sound of cheering was defeaning. But the sound was even worse after their principal finished his own short congratulations and the ceremony was finally done. Band began to play, caps were thrown into the air, and parents were cheering for their sons and daughters. Hugs were shared, pictures of teary eyed people were taken, and kisses were given.

But all Baekhyun can feel is the adrenaline running through him as he looks for Chanyeol. He hears the giant call to him and Baekhyun turns to find his giant off to the side with their families and friends. There's that smile that Baekhyun loves on Chanyeol and he runs. He thinks he's not running fast enough but the adrenaline increases in him as he runs towards a smiling giant, arms out stretched already anticipating Baekhyun.

Baekhyun runs and catapults himself into Chanyeol's arms, jumping up and wrapping his arms and legs around his giant. It's hot in his robe and Baekhyun feels sweat on his forehead, but he smiles and lets out a content smile when Chanyeol squeezes him closer and doesn't hesitate to kiss his sweaty forehead. They're off in their own world again and they don't notice another round of knowing looks among the people around them, nor their moms taking pcitures.

 

"Hey Koala Baek," Chanyeol whispers into Baekhyun's neck.

"Hi Giraffe Yeol," Baekhyun replies, holding Chanyeol's head close while the taller stood supporting him up with his arms.

"That was an awesome speech princess. I'm so proud of you."

"Ya, Park Chanyeol, what have I told you about calling me princess?" Baekhyun pulls on Chanyeol's ears and laughs when the giant groans into his neck. Baekhyun lets go of the pair of ears and moves his hands up to smooth Chanyeol's hair. "And thank you. I'm proud of you too," he says with fondness.

"Old habits die hard Byun Baek," Chanyeol lets out. A silence ensues between them, it's comfortable, but they can't help the feeling of regret for what's coming next.

"Too bad you won't hear my speech when I become valedictorian and do this again in college."

"Baek-"

"I know, I know. I'm ruining the moment," Baekhyun cuts in, tightening his hold around Chanyeol's neck as the younger male carries him a little longer and they soak in the moment. "I said it wasn't a big deal yesterday, but , this is a big deal. I don't want you to leave Chanyeol," Baekhyun feels moisture in his eyes and doesn't stop the tear sliding down his cheek and onto Chanyeol's neck where he's buried himself closer.

"Shh, Baekkie," the endearment causes Baekhyun to want to cry harder but he holds it back. "Don't cry," Chanyeol comforts him, bringing up a hand to wipe at Baekhyun's cheek.

"Ya, why are you so calm about this?!" Baekhyun sobs. "I'm basically telling you I lied about wanting no long distance relationship. I'm telling you right now that I think it'll work. If we try Chanyeol. I'm basically telling you I don't want you to leave because I want you here with me, because I really really like you."

This causes Chanyeol to tighten his arms around Baekhyun and lean his head back too look up at the sky and prevent his own tears from falling. "I really really like you too Baekhyun. I don't want you to be sad Byun Baek. Don't think that I'm not as affected as you are.  Even if right now, I really want to kiss you and not give a about anyone, I know our boundaries. I'm only acting calm because if I don't hold myself together Baekhyun, I might not even leave. But I want to, to improve myself. I want us to become new people, mature, and stuff. And I want you here, learning, dreaming, striving, hell even making yourself valedictorian at Seoul, because the thought of you working as hard and waiting for me back home, will keep me going wherever my eighteen or twenty two year old may be. So please don't cry."

Baekhyun leans back to look at Chanyeol, to stare into his eyes and find sincerity in them. He finds it, holds onto it, and locks it away. Slowly, he leans his head forward and Chanyeol does the same. Their two lips meet for a kiss and it's slightly wet, but Baekhyun doesn't know whose tears they are.

"Ugh, you made me cry you ," Baekhyun whispers as their foreheards are leaned against each other. He finally sees moisture on Chanyeol's cheeks and wipes them. Another one of their silent agreements pass through their minds.

We're not getting back together right now, because I know we should focus on school and business. But let's try. Let's see where four years of messages and calls and short trips takes us.

He smiles at Chanyeol, "I really hate you sometimes Park Yeol."

"I hate you right back Byun Baek," Chanyeol smiles right back.

 

 

 

 

 

It's when there's only ten minutes left until boarding time that Chanyeol really begins to feel regret for leaving. He's anxious. His family are all smiling but he knows his mom and older sister are holding in their tears. He's already said goodbye to the rest of his friends, and as they gradually left, giving him encouraging cheers and pats on the back, he was already beginning to miss them. Now it's only him, Baekhyun, and their families. Baekhyun's parents and brother had wished him the best and gave him encouragement and were now standing off to the side with Chanyeol's, behind Baekhyun who was trying to avoid looking at the anxious male. Chanyeol has his carry on slung over his shoulders and as the lady at the counter announces it's time for passengers to board, he walks up to his family, gives all three of them a hug and falls into embarassment at their sudden act of not wanting him to leave. His father gives him a proud smile and they hug, wishing each other good luck. Chanyeol hopes his dad can handle his crying mother and sister. He chuckles as he moves on to Mr. and Mrs. Byun, the two already like his own second set of parents. He hugs them, teasingly threatens Suho that he'll kick him where it hurts if he breaks Yura's heart, and finally moves on to Baekhyun.

"Hey," Chanyeol sheepishly grins to his bestfriend.

"Hey," Baekhyun smiles up to him.

"I guess I'm leaving now," Chanyeol mentally slaps himself because of course, duh, Baekhyun can see that. And he guesses Baekhyun knows what he's thinking because he's laughing at Chanyeol.

"I guess you are," Baekhyun smiles, taking in the sheepish giant standing in front of him. He tries to take in the image of Chanyeol, headphones wrapped around his neck, an all black outfit wrapped around his body, and hands nervously sweating. The smaller thinks for once, as he and Chanyeol smile at each other, that he's not as sad anymore about the giant leaving. He reaches over to soothe Chanyeol's anxiety, taking the giant's hands in his until it's finally Chanyeol's turn to go.

 

The line finally shortens and Chanyeol takes it as a sign for him to go and check in. He pulls Baekhyun close, wrapping his arms around his bestfriend and to the shorter's ear he whispers, "I'm going to miss annoying you 24/7. Take care of yourself okay?"

"I will," Baekhyun promises with a smile and through teary eyes. God he hates saying byes, why couldn't it have been a year ago when he had the courage to surprise Chanyeol last minute and kiss him? "You take care of yourself too, okay Chanyeol?"

"I promise," the two lean in for a chaste kiss they don't even have to hesitate about. Who cares if right now they're bestfriends? Bestfriends can kiss. Totally. They're glad their families are the only ones there to see, if their friends were here, it would've been an annoying mess of 'I Told You So's. With a last squeeze, Chanyeol finally lets go. "I'll see you later Baekkie."

He gives Baekhyun and their families a smile and wave and jogs over to the counter before walking up to board the plane. He turns and gives them one last wave, and only then does he leave. Baekhyun can't help but smile with how awkwardly excited the giant is, and continues watching until he disappears from view.

 

Later, when he and everyone else finally sees Chanyeol's plane fly off, Baekhyun continues to wave before slacking his arm and snuggling into Chanyeol's jacket. He gives the sky one last look before letting out a sigh and promising to himself, just like as he did to Chanyeol before he boarded the plane, that he'll work just as hard as Chanyeol. The giant promised him not to worry. This time, he won't freak out and not contact Baekhyun. This time he'll try and contact him everyday, even tell him when he's coming back. Baekhyun doesn't have to worry. So he goes forward and gives their parents a determined smile, his back straight, his chin up. He's going to make not only himself and his parents proud, but Chanyeol too.

"I'll see you later Yeollie."

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________

I said there'd be three chapters updated, but I basically combined 2/3 of them in this one. So the next is the last.

Hope this was good. peace, xxjuly.