One Cook

"Ya! Park Chanyeoool!"

“Mom, wake up! I need your help!” Chanyeol yells from his room, now silently preparing his plans with Radiohead playing from his speakers having just gotten back from dropping off Baekhyun next door. On his black bed covers are the gifts he’d bought Baekhyun and some wrapping paper should he consider boxing them.

Chanyeol smiles at the sound of his phone vibrating with a message from Baekhyun and replies with a sweet good night and see you tomorrow. He grins as he plays with the dangling key chain attached to his phone, a small brown bear with a heart that said ‘mine’, something Baekhyun had bought him on their date. He rummages around his bed for his wallet and inside finds his copies of the pictures he and Baekhyun had taken in a booth, and grins widely when his thumb brushes on the picture of Baekhyun blushing shyly when Chanyeol had changed his pose and kissed Baekhyun on the cheek as the light flashed. The sight of the pink tinting Baekhyun’s cheeks was enough for fondness to sneak its way to Chanyeol’s eyes.

The date had gone extremely well.

After spending an hour walking and talking with Taeyeon and her girlfriend (something Chanyeol and Baekhyun are still amazed by), they’d promised to hang out again before Chanyeol quickly turned back and brought Baekhyun to the couple store the elder had been eyeing earlier. Baekhyun was embarrassed to admit he quite liked the idea of having matching things but with a quick shrug and faked leaving of the store from Chanyeol, he’d quickly admitted to it. Chanyeol snorts as he remembers how quickly his boyfriend had pulled him back into the store.

They’d spent a while looking at keychains, bracelets, rings, necklaces, clothing until finally, the elder’s eyes caught the perfect matching keychains, the bears now on his and Chanyeol’s phones. Chanyeol was lucky and found two matching beaded bracelets and bought them, an addition to the ones with each other’s names on them.

“Young man, it’s 9 o’clock,” his mother enters the room and lowers down the speakers volume.  “What do you need your mother for, to tuck you in?” Chanyeol snorts and notices his mom had been in the middle of taking off her make-up, a smudge of eyeliner clearly not on where it was supposed to be. She walks over to her son’s bed and sits down, reaching her arm out to fix her son’s bangs, the soft touch making Chanyeol smile at his mother. He’d always been his mother’s baby.

“Mom, I’m going to ask you for a favor and you can’t mess it up okay?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“I absolutely need you to ruin my plans.”

“Chanyeol, are you doing alright in school? You’re asking me to mess up your plans when you’d just told-“

“Mooooom!”

“Alright! What do you want me to do?”

Chanyeol grins.

 

 

Baekhyun wakes up with a slight throb in his head, possibly from having stayed up until two in the morning to finish “The Mediator” series and listening to his music until he fell asleep. It’s stupid, but he was just too excited to be able to sleep and as he combs his damp hair and steps into black jeans and a blue hoodie, the amount of energy increases. Today’s the day.

Normally Baekhyun could care less about monthsaries, he’d rather count the years, but this being a relationship with Chanyeol, anything’s possible. He checks his phone for any messages from his boyfriend while he steals a sip from his father’s coffee, ugh black, and notices there aren’t any. His boyfriend’s probably not up yet and he shrugs it off, continuing on with is giddiness, wondering just how his boyfriend planned their day together.

Amusement appears on his face as he remembers Chanyeol’s teary eyes when Baekhyun had surprised him last month with two tickets to a YG family concert where 2NE1 would obviously perform. Sometimes Baekhyun thinks his boyfriend loves 2NE1 more than him, especially when he goes over to the other’s house and sees their posters plastered on the giant’s walls, albeit a couple framed pictures of Baekhyun and him on his bedside table. Okay so maybe Baekhyun’s actually first in the list, right next to family.

Someone should gift Baekhyun “Best Boyfriend Ever” though, but awarded was he when Chanyeol did nothing but pepper him with kisses and hugs. It’s not to say that for each anniversary they’d have to do something extravagant such as going to concerts or fancy restaurants. A simple dinner would be nice, in fact, extremely nice and something Baekhyun hoped was on Chanyeol’s agenda.

After finishing his favorite breakfast of French toast with extra syrup, Baekhyun bids his parents bye and tells them he’ll be hanging out with his boyfriend all day. His mother tells him to use protection as usual despite Baekhyun’s horrified response of “Mom! Gross!”, while his father tells him to have fun with a pat on the back.

Ah parents.

Although the Parks live right next door, Baekhyun walks over to his car at the front of his house and drives the other way, casually tapping his fingers and wiggling his toes to Big Bang’s “Fantastic Baby” while he makes his way over to Starbucks to buy Chanyeol his favorite coffee and muffin. He hums to himself as he waits for their order and quickly texts his boyfriend good morning, getting a heart fluttering reply of ‘Good morning gorgeous<3’.

Someone gift Park Chanyeol a ball of cheese ASAP.

 

 

It’s 11:30 a.m. and Chanyeol’s been freaking out since 7, getting his mom to help him get the ingredients stocked into their fridge, printing out recipes so Chanyeol won’t exactly burn the food he’s making and going through his plan of zero fool proofs and obvious signs to smart people like Baekhyun.

Okay, so Chanyeol’s planning a romantic night with his boyfriend consisting of a dinner of their favorite foods made by him and a list of things they could do after, as a way for Chanyeol to show his love and appreciation. It’s not as extravagant as the concert they went to last month, and he really only spent a week or two planning and deciding. He’d gone from spending a day at Lotte World to going on a drive to the beach and having a picnic, but it’s still cold and really, who wants to waste precious time driving when you can just stay home and relax? And as he runs through his plans, his beginning to think that a simple dinner was the best choice.

Chanyeol had called their friends earlier to tell them that they, for no reason whatsoever, were to answer any of Baekhyun’s calls or texts and were to remain MIA for the day. Just in case Chanyeol were to need them and Baekhyun were to ask them to hang out. He received little protest except for a grumpy ‘ off’ and a ‘good luck’ from them. Now all he needs to do is put the chocolate covered strawberries back in the fridge and thank his mom for-

The doorbell rings.

Chanyeol snaps his head towards his mom, the woman chuckling as she waves him off to his room. Chanyeol pecks her on the cheek and dashes to his room where he then slips his shirt off, sticks the thermometer in a cup of hot water, and quickly rubs his face a warm but wet towel from his bathroom to make it seem like he’d been sweating. He sighs while he makes his way out and reluctantly stubs his toe on his bed. It does the trick as his eyes start to tear and red flows up to his nose and cheeks. Chanyeol suppresses the foul words begging to come out, grabs the thermometer and places it in his mouth, jumping under his bed covers and using all his will to pretend he’s sick.

Damn his toe hurts.

 

 

“Hi Mama Park,” Baekhyun greets his boyfriend’s mother with a hug and looks around for Chanyeol as he slips his shoes off. “Where’s Yeol?”

“Oh I’m afraid he’s upstairs honey,” Mrs. Park replies. Her son’ll definitely owe her that pedicure for doing this. “He’s come down with a fever and has been sneezing all morning. My poor baby.”

The two walk to the giant’s room.

“What was he doing, standing outside in the cold? He didn’t seem sick or anything yesterday though,” Baekhyun questions. Leave it to his clumsy boyfriend to get sick.

“Actually, I think it may have been two to three days ago when he came back in the evening from his little cousin Irene’s house all wet and with dog hair. I’m guessing his little cousin had him help her with their puppy Amber again.”

“What was the idiot doing washing a dog in cold weather?” Baekhyun chuckles, softly knocking on his boyfriend’s door and peering in to see a lump on the bed.

“I don’t know, but he sure came back with a triumphant grin on his face, something about a signature?” Mrs. Park walks over to her son and places her hand to his forehead, easing the thermometer from her groaning son’s mouth and checking it only to stifle a laugh when they share eye contact.

Baekhyun walks over and pecks the other’s forehead, soft lips meeting heat and sits on the giant’s bed as Chanyeol makes sure to slowly get up. He sheepishly smiles at the elder male and with a cough speaks.

“I’m sorry Baek,” he sniffs, making sure that as he talks his voice sounds phlegm filled. “I don’t think I can take you out today,” Chanyeol scrunches his face as if ready to sneeze. “I’m really sorry,” he apologetically grabs his boyfriend’s hand and squeezes it, “I had everything planned out already and I know we would’ve had fun.”

Baekhyun eases one of his hands from Chanyeol’s and reaches over to rub one of Chanyeol’s cheeks, the sick boy leaning into the warm touch and sighing. “You idiot, I don’t care if you can’t make it, it’s fine,” he softly pats the giant’s cheek and laughs. “I’m just wondering why I’m not surprised that you could get sick from washing a puppy.”

“A very cute puppy,” Chanyeol adds, his voice going a level deeper. “But I’m really sorry I can’t take you out today Baek, I was really looking forward to it,” the giant pouts and Baekhyun leans over to kiss it away. “Ya! Pabo, you’re going to catch it!” Baekhyun laughs.

“You know son, I think you should go back to sleep, rest your body for a bit. I’ll give you your medicine in a couple of minutes okay?” Mrs. Park comments while she soothingly brushes her son’s forehead.

“That’s okay Mama Park,” Baekhyun says. “I can take care of Yeollie if you’d like.” Chanyeol eyes his mother frantically, slightly shaking his head as if to signal her to get his boyfriend out. The woman gets the signal and with a smile, shakes her head.

“Oh, no, no, no. You need to go home and avoid this gross young man,” Mrs. Park grabs Baekhyun by the hand, the young man sneaking a quick peck on Chanyeol’s lips before being exiled out of the room.

“Chanyeol needs to learn his lesson that if he’s sick he can’t hang out and get others sick as well,” Chanyeol’s mom whispers to Baekhyun, and Baekhyun nods before yelling a quick “I’ll text you Yeol!” and weaving out of the house.

“Well that’s a first,” Baekhyun amusedly says to Chanyeol’s mom, greeting her bye and getting into his car. “Guess I’ll be spending my day home, with my overly gross parents,” The male chuckles as he waves to her from his car and makes his way back to his own house.

Mrs. Park sighs on her front door, thinking about all her life choices, especially the things she does for her son.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol stares at his ceiling and a smile creeps up his face. He jumps out of his bed and puts on his shirt as his mother enters his room to smack him on the arm and reminds him that he better not mess up his plans. Chanyeol yelps in pain and with a kiss from his mother, promises her he won’t.

Phase 1 accomplished. Now Chanyeol just needs to decipher the list of ingredients and cooking instructions. 

An hour into cooking has left flour on the kitchen countertops, a mess up cut vegetables and fruit, a grumpy Chanyeol with a couple stinging fingers and a sore from having slipped on water and two slabs of burned meat on the pan. He dials the only person he knows won't ask why.

 

"Hey, yeah, it's me. Kyungsoo, can you come over? I need your help."