Epiphany

"Ya! Park Chanyeoool!"

A group of seven males still clad in their blue and white basketball clothes and lugging their sports bags race from the gym to their schools concert hall. Kris, their school's basketball varsity captain had gotten an ok from their coach two days ago for him, Tao, Chanyeol, Minseok, Jongin, Luhan and Sehun to leave the period early and attend Jongdae's, Kyungsoo's and Baekhyun's performance finals. Busy with giving drills and plays for the rest to do while they were gone, Kris and his co-captain Chanyeol, didn't notice how much time had passed by until Luhan had flicked them harshly on the head and demanded that he see his babies perform or he was going to beat their asses. Chanyeol immediately dashed out to see his bestfriend's performance, the others in tow. 

They finally arrived at the grand white building with twenty minutes to spare and get changed before the show started. The basketball players enter the large room and see that others were also openly invited to the show; fans, parents, friends...underclassmen. The boys spot familiar faces and the mothers of their three friends. Finally, after wiping any remnants of dirt and sweat off their faces, spraying cologne, and checking each other's armpits, they make their way down rows of red cushioned seats before greeting and sitting behind the three mothers eagerly waiting for their sons' performances.
 
Jongdae's mother looks the complete opposite of her son's mischievous sharp face but they had similarities like the way their lips turned upward at the edges and their brown hair and eyes. Guessing by her choice of clothing of a casual t-shirt and a studded leather jacket, apparently she and her son had similar rock and roll loving personalities. But other than that, she looked like the kind dentist and mother they knew her to be. Minseok happily sits next to her and the two talk excitedly. Mrs. Do is known as a beautiful top chef and owns her own restaurant. As a loving mom and cook, others felt comfortable in her presence, but once she starts cooking, watch out. Kyungsoo's friends had already agreed a long time ago after meeting his mom, that Kyungsoo got his motherly personality and everything else from his mom. Jongin has already seated himself next to Kyungsoo's mom holding a small bouquet for her son. Having known her for the one and a half year he's been dating the heart-lipped boy, the two were comfortably taking selcas with each other. Kristao and Hunhan behind the two, were laughing as they photobombed a couple of times and Jongin complained, the woman beside him laughing. Chanyeol chooses to sit beside Mama Byun, greeting her with a bright smile. They exchange a few words before hushing as the lights in the hall dimmed down. 
 
 
A choir student stands on stage introducing her fellow classmates and welcoming the audience, mic and cue cards in her hands, her blonde hair shining under the stage's lights. Would you believe that she was actually getting graded by how she would lead the show? Their teacher sits at the front at a table stacked with grading papers and a few other students walk around handing out the list of performances. One by one musical arts students performed a number themselves or were seen in groups. The concert hall was filled with the booming sounds of music, singing or acting. Sometimes the audience would sing along, laugh or even be moved by the emotions being expressed. Finally, the long awaited performances of the school's top three male performers began and a couple of girls squeal in excitement.
 
"I now present to you Kim Jongdae and his amazing rock-and-roll performance of EXO's 'Up Rising'!" The audience clap and his mother cheers the loudest when Jongdae comes out and the music plays.
 
"YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! YEAAAHH! YEAAAHH! YEAAAHH! UUUUPPPPPP RIIIISSSSIIIINNNNNGGG!" 
 
His friends really do have to hand it to their favorite troll, the guy has some mad vocals and his voice was able to surpass even the song's high notes and his energy crazed the audience as he rocked the stage, the light shining brightly on him. Minseok and Jongdae's mom cheered proudly as they watched the male dressed in a white ripped shirt and tight black jeans jump around and shake his head to the beat of the music as he sang. The song really showed the male's soaring vocal abilities and added more to his title as one of the school's best singers. Luhan couldn't stop himself from jumping out of his seat and rocking out as well. Tao watched as he laughed at his crazy gege, his black hair rocking back and forth. Sehun was madly trying to suppress the growing need in his jeans because jeezus, Lulu looks so damn hot right now. Kris and Chanyeol were coolly nodding their heads, appreciating the music and performance while living up to their titles as the cool kingkas. The sounds of electric guitar and drums combined with the voice of their friend was a sight highly applauded, the guy's voice breaking through the speakers sending off so much of his adrenaline, you'd want to jump out and start rocking with your invisible guitar. 
 
Minseok cheered the loudest when Jongdae waved, his performance ending and the host announcing the next number. "YYYYEAAAAH! I love you Kim Jongdae!!"
 
"Wasn't that such a mind blowing and refreshing performance by Jongdae-ssi? Everyone give it up for Jongdae! Now, please clap your hands once more and open your ears to Do Kyungsoo's soulful melodious voice as he sings another one of EXO's songs, 'Tell Me What Is Love'!" 
 
The petite male dressed in a black casual suit, red hair slicked back, walks out oozing confidence as he holds his mic and the first words to the R&B song flowed out from his mouth. Jongin just about almost dies in his seat because of his angel and it was now Sehun's turn to laugh hysterically at how teary his best friend was getting. He had to admit it though, Kyungsoo looked attractive on stage, not that he'd ever question his Lulu's perfection.
 
"Yeaaaah, yeeeaaah, yeaaaah. Play another slow jam. This is my property. Tell me what is love." 
 
Kyungsoo's voice was a beautiful and slow contrast to Jongdae's thrilling and energetic performance. Just like the prankster, his song choice was short but it fit perfectly. Kyungsoo executed his riffs and and harmony so well, that some of the girls in the audience were loudly chanting his name. His voice gave so much emotion, that at the end Jongin had to hold the urge to yell out "Oi! Do Kyungsoo! I'll tell you what love is!!" Backstage, Baekhyun and Jongdae were proudly singing along and laughed when Jongdae pointed out Jongin's proud face. The maknae was practically fan boying over his boyfriend.
 
"Everyone give it up to Kyungsoo-ssi's wonderful performance! That was awesome," the host blushed and Kyungsoo couldn't help but laugh shyly at the compliment. "And now, drum roll pleaaaaase! Here is our Byun Baekhyun also singing an EXO song, 'My Turn To Cry' accompanied by he himself on the piano. Clap your hands for Baekhyun smooth and soothing performance!"
 
Baekhyun was now suddendly hesitating to get out of the sidelines, having peeked out and seeing his giant patiently waiting for his performance, his mother smiling beside him.
 
"Don't tell me you get the butterflies now hyung," Kyungsoo teases as they listen to their classmate liven up the audience for the next performance. "You've practiced so much, you'll be perfectly fine. Just take a deep breath and kill it out there."
 
Beside Kyungsoo, Jongdae says, "Yeah Baekhyun. No worries! Everyone's out there cheering for you, even your boyfriend."
 
"YA!" Jongdae laughs at his friends growing blush, god it was so easy to . Oblivious idiot.
 
"Okay okay, future husband! ANYWAYS, get out there and break a leg! And please don't faint, we still have a song after this." Jongdae lightly shoves Baekhyun out and the small male slowly makes his way in front of the piano set at center stage.
 
Baekhyun takes his time to adjust his eyes while smiling at the audience. His eyes travel until he sees a comforting sight. His mother and Chanyeol were holding small banners with his name and cheering him on with wide smiles. Baekhyun makes eye contact with Chanyeol and the red head gives him an encouraging thumbs up. He can't help but smile and do the same, thankful for the gesture. With new confidence and thoughts running around his mind, Baekhyun bows and sits on his chair, eyes closed and fingers splayed out on white and black keys. 
 
Chanyeol watches with awed eyes, watching his best friend play the first notes, the sound of the piano beautiful to his ears. No words have been uttered yet and he already knows that like other performances he's seen of Baekhyun, this would blow him away. It's like time has stopped and everyone hushes because although knowing Byun Baekhyun was an aspiring performer, they weren't prepared for what they would see...and hear. 
 
"Oooooooooooohhhh, Oooooooh, Oooohhh." 
 
Baekhyun closes his eyes and finally presses down on the white and black keys. Having spent numerous hours to learn and play this short segment of the song, he allows his thoughts to control his mind, his mouth and hands automatically knowing what to do. 
 
"Remember geudaega himdeul ttaemyeon hangsang..."
Remember, when things were hard...
 
He knows why he chose 'My Turn To Cry' to perform. He was thankful his friends and family were still there. Ever since the week began, he was mostly thankful for the fact that Haylee hadn't done anything, not even spoken to Chanyeol since she returned to their school. Although it was three years ago, he couldn't forget that she had been the cause, a setback in his friendship with Chanyeol. Freshman year was hard, especially when he fought with Chanyeol over lies and false assumptions. But things ended out for the better and their friendship has been nothing else but stronger than ever. He was thankful for his family; his dad who works so hard going on business trips for the Byun Co. that Baekhyun's older brother Suho would be managing soon, Suho who's always spoiling him and being an awesome brother, and his mom, who's always there and supporting and understanding him. He's thankful for his friends for putting up with his random moments, moods, and craziness. 
 
"Nunmureul useumgwa bakkwotjyo...." 
I always turned your tears into smiles...
 
"Nunmuri manteon geudaeraseo oh."
Because you always had a lot of tears.
 
He's heard this song countless of times, and every time he listened to it, he'd think about the people in his life that were always there for him. As he practiced, he also thought of the countless memories, the ups and downs, and the years he's spent with Chanyeol. 
 
 
Baekhyun could hear the distant sounds of the city still bustling and could see the city lights. 
 
"Hey Baek," Chanyeol sighs. "I know it's late to be out here stargazing, but thanks for coming over." 
 
Baekhyun looks over at his best friend, the other's eyes closed and arms behind his head while they lie down on the soft blanket the Chanyeol had set in his backyard. At nine in the evening, he was practically freezing in his pajamas, but he figured as long as Chanyeol was there with him, he'd be warm. 
 
"What are best friends for?" 
 
They've been gazing at the stars for over fifteen minutes in complete silence, immersing themselves in their own thoughts. The past few weeks had been hard on the two, and even though they both wanted to ask each other questions, they just didn't know how. They hadn't talked in days, mostly because of Chanyeol's relationship and break up with his now ex-girlfriend, Song Haylee. The smaller male finally took up the courage to say what he's been meaning to since he arrived at the younger's door.
 
"I'm sorry."
 
"Baek, I'm sorry."
 
The two laugh at the realization that they said the same thing, finally letting out their feelings of frustration and becoming bestfriends again. Chanyeol scooted over next to Baekhyun, the older male snuggling up in the warmth.
 
"Hey Baek."
 
"Hmmm?"
 
"I'm really sorry that I didn't believe you until now. I was being such a bad best friend and I'm sorry I ever doubted you."
 
"I understand Yeol. I know she's your first girlfriend and I know you really liked her. I'm sorry that I said some crappy things to you. And I'm just glad that I've got my Yeollie back!"
 
"I never knew how mean she really was. I'm just glad that I fixed things before I really lost you. I'm glad to be back Baek."
 
"Ya, Park Chanyeol. We're only freshman high schoolers, we have a lot of years ahead of us until we can find the perfect girl ok? So let's just spend it with each other for a while. Chanbaek style."
 
"Hahahah, are you serious? Alright. Chanbaek style." Chanyeol closes his eyes, and Baekhyun snuggles his head into Chanyeol's neck.
 
"Ya, Park Chanyeol. Promise me that no matter what happens, we'll always be best friends. The ChanBaek duo, okay?"
 
"Promise...."
 
"Ugh god, stop hugging me! Ya! Park Chanyeoool! You smell like dirt doofus!"
 
 
The year was really almost over, and he has a lot of things to be thankful for. He was now half way done with his highschool career and after that he'd be an aspiring performer in college and onwards. He has his life already planned out. But what's really been distracting him lately are his feelings for Chanyeol. He doesn't know what to do with them. His mind has already been set on never admitting his feelings but so far he feels like he doesn't want to anymore. His future is planned out like a map in his mind, but it's like his mind and heart are on different tracks. He knows Chanyeol and he will lead different lives after high school, but a part of him wants to keep the giant forever. 
 
"Na eomneun goseseon uljimayo don’t cry."
Don’t cry in places without me, don’t cry.
 
A part of him already knows that he'll always be there for Park Chanyeol, as his hyung, best friend, and lover. Ever since Haylee had come back to the picture and casually sent him some distasteful glares, he's had a feeling that there would be a lot of crap going on soon. He doesn't want a recap of the sad and angry Chanyeol back in freshman year. And he definitely doesn't, won't, let Song Haylee steal his best friend. A part of him knows that he would do whatever it takes to keep Chanyeol happy.
 
"Andwaeyo it’s my turn to cry naega halgeyo"
No, it’s my turn to cry, I’ll cry now
 
Baekhyun smiles, opening his eyes as he sings the last verses of the song. His fingers continue playing the piano and he turns his head towards the crowd. They're entranced with his voice and he smiles, seeing some have quieted down to listen to him sing. This is what he wants in a profession. He wants his voice to send out messages and awe people. He sees Chanyeol and smiles at the awed giant. For now he's happy.
 
"Geudaeui nunmul moa."
I’ll take all of your tears.
 
"It’s my turn to cry naege matgyeoyo."
It’s my turn to cry, give them to me.
 
"Geu nunmulkkaji."
Even those tears.
"This time."
 
The last words of the performance are sung and Baekhyun gets up, smiling at a cheering crowd. He runs to the sidelines and high fives Jongdae and Kyungsoo.
 
"Holy ! That was... DAEEEBAK! Dude!"
 
"Oh my god hyung. That was awesome!"
 
"Really? Aigooo, don't you guys know that I'm gonna be an idol someday, by now?"
 
"At this rate you will!"
 
"Aigooo, seriously though. I felt like I was gonna piss my pants! Gosh, I was nervous."
 
 
 
Chanyeol sat in his seat, deaf to his surroundings. Wow, Baekhyun blew him to space this time. The way his eyes closed as if he was really focused in performing, how he seemed so natural up on stage, and how his voice seemed to sing to you personally. He knows his best friend practiced a lot in such a long time, and he was really proud. He really can't help but feel that the song really was directed to him though. He's sure that it was, although nothing's gone wrong so far, he's sure it's because of Haylee. He's brought back from his thoughts when the announcer comes out again for the next act.
 
"Wasn't that such an amazing performance by Baekhyun?! Gosh, isn't his voice dreamy?" She asks a group of Baekhyun fans who answer "Yeees!" The guys chuckle and Sehun teasingly yells over, "Ya! Don't you guys know Chanyeol and Baekhyun are dating!?"
 
"Alright everyone, I'm sorry to say this but things do have to end. Here is our last performance, another EXO song performed by Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun. A Christmas song! Please look forward to 'A Winter Tale!'" 
 
The three males come out in changed outfits, red, white and green, and fake snow pours down from above. Standing in front of the stage, they looked like real performers. The song's catchy tune, piano and drums begin playing. Kyungsoo sings the first verses, his sweet R&B voice breaking through the speakers, Chen followed with his smooth vocals, Baekhyun's awing voice adding to the mix. The audience sways to the song, amazed by the trio's soothing vocals as they sang the Christmas song. The trio were really wonderful, the way their voices mixed together, how they effortlessly harmonized and sang. As individuals, they were already awesome singers but as a group they were undefeated, special, and amazing. The song finally comes to an end, signaling the end to the show as well.
 
"Jigu myeoch bakwijjeum dora dasi neoreul manna
nareul ddaseuhage anajun neo hana."
 
After going around the earth a few times, I met you again
Only you held me so warmly.
 
"Neoreul dalmeun hayan nuni naelyeo
deo pogeunhage ssahyeo
deoneun sirin kyeoul nun nogdeut sarajyeo."
 
A white snow that resembles you falls
It builds up cozily
And disappears like snow melting in the cold winter.
 
"Jigu myeoch bakwijjeum dora dasi neoreul manna
nareul ddaseuhage anajun neo hana."
 
After going around the earth a few times, I met you again
Only you held me so warmly.
 
"Neoreul dalmeun hayan nuni naelyeo
deo po geunhake ssahyeo
deoneun sirin kyeoul nun nogdeut sarajyeo."
 
A white snow that resembles you falls
It builds up cozily
And disappears like snow melting in the cold winter.
 
"Alright everyone! That's the end of our show! Congratulations with finishing finals! We would like to thank you guys for coming out and watching our performances!"
 
 
Baekhyun was finally home, freshly showered, and full from his dinner. This friday was the last day before winter break and god he was wishing for it to come faster. Lying down on his soft bed and snuggling into his warm covers, he turns on his TV and pulls out his phone. He sees a message from a minute ago and quickly opens it. 
 
From: Chanyeollie<3
Ya, Byun Baekhyun. I'm outside, open the door for me yeah? :)
 
Baekhyun doesn't remember inviting his best friend but shrugs it off because it's not like he's not used to Chanyeol barging in whenever he wanted to. He goes down to open the door and sees Chanyeol in a large overcoat, his pajamas underneath, three DVD's, his favorite rilakkuma, bags of candy and a box of microwaveable popcorn in hand. 
 
"Sleeeeeepover!"
 
"Ya, we haven't had a sleepover in ages. Why are you suddenly coming over and asking for one?" Baekhyun chews on popcorn, talking to the male lying down beside him on his bed. He's staring at the movie playing to distract himself from Chanyeol inviting position arms stretched wide and legs open, but it doesn't help when his heart's beating so loud that everyone can hear. 
 
"That's exactly why! We haven't had any in ages! Now come here," Chanyeol surprises the smaller male by pulling him back into an embrace, the elder's back on Chanyeol's broad chest. "I haven't had any time to cuddle with you in ages either." 
 
"Ya. Park Chaneyol," Baekhyun blushes. Chanyeol chuckles and rests his cheek on Baekhyun's head, his soft hair tickling him. 
 
"You did really great today. I was blown away Baekkie."
 
"Eh, that was nothing."
 
"Maybe for you, but not to everyone else. You looked so natural up there. You're my favorite singer."
 
Baekhyun hums in reply, resting his head in the crook of Chanyeol's shoulder, snuggling closer and pulling his blanket to cover the both of them. Minutes pass by until the taller male speaks again, this time with hesitance and curiosity. The movie's done and they're now lying down on the bed, the room dark, with light peeking from outside.
 
"Hey Baek?" Chanyeol whispers to the boy lying down on his arm. The smaller boy open his eyes and stares at Chanyeol, adjusting to the dark.
 
"Hmmm?" 
 
"I've been lying to you." Baekhyun immediately frowns. What the hell?
 
"Ya, Park Chanyeol, this isn't the time to be jok-."
 
"I've been lying all these years... I lied to you when I came back from the States. I even lied to you on Monday."
 
The frown on Baekhyun's face gets deeper because he can tell Chanyeol is serious. He cautiously moves away from him, but Chanyeol stops him, pulling him into a tight embrace. Baekhyun tries to get out after noticing their intimate position. 
 
"What.have.you.been.lying.about?" Baekhyun's voice drips with anger, his hands trembling, because for once he's scared of what Chanyeol might say. "Let go of me!"
 
Chanyeol sighs, loosening his embrace. He already planned out what to say to his best friend before he even came over, but now he was really questioning if he had the balls to tell him.
 
it. 
 
"I-I-I've been lying to you. About us. About our friendship. Us being friends," Baekhyun now frantically tries to get out but fails. "I don't think I can handle being best friends with you anymore Baek." Baekhyun tenses up and he can feel his eyes burning, silent tears dripping down his cheeks that he knows the giant can feel on his neck. He holds his breath to prevent the sobs from coming out.
 
"W-why have you been lying to me? What the hell is this about Yeollie? Why can't we be best friends?" Now Baekhyun really feels like he's going to go crazy. What if Chanyeol found out about his feelings for him? Is his giant rejecting him before he even confesses? Who told him? If not, did he do something wrong?
 
"I've been lying to you all this time and I can't be friends with you because..."
 
Baekhyun lets out a soft gasp, his heart thumping and finally reaching its limit, his hand covering his mouth when he hears what Chanyeol says next. 
 
"Because, Byun Baekhyun, I, Park Chanyeol... love you more than just a best friend... I think I want more than that..." Baekhyun's eyes widen, because if this is what he thinks it is and if this is what Chanyeol's speeding heart beat means...
 
"Baekhyun, I love you."