Patootie

"Ya! Park Chanyeoool!"

A black Mercedes pulls up into the Byun driveway, two males seated inside, and ready to leave the cold and enter the warmth of home. A blonde male hops out and walks towards the trunk to get their luggage. His large coat ad scarf protecting him while he rubs his frozen hands together. A slightly shorter and older man with dark brown hair and clad in a suit, exits the car and joins the other. They walk towards the large front door and ring the bell. Mrs. Byun is inside cooking dinner for Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who’s staying over. The smell of boiling pasta and spaghetti sauce fill the air and exit the house when she opens the door and greets the guests, a happy scream leaving .

“Honey! Son! Welcome back!” Mrs. Byun engulfs the two in her embrace, not caring that she was cutting off their air supply. “Come on inside! It’s freezing!” The two happily enter, the younger of the three shaking his head, following his two lovey dovey parents.

“Mom, where’s Baek?”

“He’s upstairs with Chanyeol. Baekhyun! Chanyeol! Your Suho hyung’s back! Dad is too!” Mrs. Byun ushers her husband toward the kitchen, her husband telling her just how much he’s missed her over the two month business trip he’s had through shared kisses. The luggage has long been forgotten and the sounds of running feet from upstairs echo down the hall until Suho looks up and finds his younger brother at the top of the staircase.

“Joomyunnie hyung!” Baekhyun runs to his older brother, calling him by his real name. He squeezes him, giving the same exact treatment as his mother.

“Baek. Air. Supply. Lowering.”

“Oops, sorry!” The smaller male steps back and Chanyeol steps forward to greet Suho.

“Hey hyung! You’re blonde now?” Chanyeol teases after they do a bro hug.

The taller of the two slings an arm around the other’s shoulder and Baekhyun holds on to Suho’s arm. As the eldest, Suho begins to feel like he has two monkeys holding on to him as they walk towards the kitchen where they can hear the sound of their parents laughing and preparing dinner. Chanyeol and Baekhyun greet the two adults, Mr. and Mrs. Byun have matching aprons, one saying husband and the other wife. Mr. Byun’s sleeves are rolled up from cutting slices of vegetables and Mrs. Byun holds up a spoon to her husband’s lips, asking him to taste the sauce. Meanwhile, the three young men set up the table.

The dining table looks slightly overcrowded with several of Mrs. Byun’s delicious dishes piled up as she and the four men sit down to eat. Although financially capable of buying those large rectangular tables that stereotypical rich people have, the Byuns chose a simpler round wooden table instead, making eating time a cozy place to eat and talk about their day. A wreath and two vanilla scented candles are placed at the center of the table, giving off at least eh smells of the upcoming Christmas as they ate.

Mr. and Mrs. Byun sit, already having their own fun time feeding each other, leaving Suho, Baekhyun and Chanyeol to their meals. Chanyeol is seated beside Baekhyun, and Suho sits across from them, his blonde hair shockingly bright beneath the lights. Chanyeol happily eats his spaghetti with extra meatballs and Baekhyun laughs through a salad filled mouth when spaghetti sauce flies all over the giant’s face. Baekhyun’s older brother studies them from across the table, an almost all knowing look on his face. He grins though when he see Baekhyun wiping Chanyeol’s saucy face.

“So Baek,” Suho chews on a yummy bread stick, “how’s senior year going? School the same as I left it?”

“Oh please hyung, just because you were the oppa/hyung of the school does not mean your legacy lives two years after you’ve graduated,” Baekhyun teases. “But I’m doing well. Still one of the top five in the class. Still performing too.”

“That’s great! I’ll watch one of your shows sometime. Mom told me she videotaped your performance today. Keep up the good work and you’ll be in college in no time too! Fyi, being basketball captain and student body president is some legacy to be remembered by Baek,” Suho points his bitten breadstick at his younger brother’s face, crumbs falling on the table. He dips it in his spaghetti sauce and takes another bite.

“Well, you’ve been replaced by Luhan and Kyungsoo because they’re pres. and VP. now. Although, Kyungsoo basically does all the work.”

“Oh !” The quiet curse grabs their attention and they look to the side to see a Chanyeol scrambling towards the tiled floor with a napkin in his hand and Suho peers below the table to see the giant cleaning up a mess of fallen meatballs. Baekhyun can’t help but laugh at his boyfriend, who looks horribly funny trying to clean up the sauce from the floor and stoops down to help him. The giant’s large hand holds a napkin filled with three meatballs and Baekhyun chuckles at the small pout on the younger’s face because he knows Chanyeol hates wasting meat, especially meatballs. Hidden beneath the table, Baekhyun kisses Chanyeol’s pout away, the chaste kiss making them both smile. The smaller male then uses his own napkin and cleans up the rest of Chanyeol’s mess, while the red head watches fondly, thinking how this is how it should be. Him and Baekhyun being there for each other and cleaning each other’s mess, but preferably not food. The giant thinks he may want to keep doing this with Baekhyun, watching how the smaller male has a smile on his face while he finishes up. What if he and the elder were to live together and cook extravagant meals and make messes and have kisses here and there? It’d be nice. Chanyeol’s taken from his thoughts when a blonde head pokes beneath the table and tells them to hurry up, they’re setting up the Christmas tree now. Baekhyun chuckles and grabs Chanyeol’s hand, pulling both of them up before following Suho.

“I’m glad you waited until we got back to set up the Christmas tree hon,” Mr. Byun hugs his wife and watches while their three sons (he sees Chanyeol as a son too) opening boxes filled with their plastic and ready to assemble Christmas tree, lights, boughs, stockings and ornaments. Suho’s old train set and Baekhyun’s arts and crafts made ornaments make their appearances and the two chat happily about their younger years. Chanyeol turns on the fireplace to set the Christmas atmosphere.

Mrs. Byun sips on her mug of hot chocolate, leaning into her husband’s embrace, a quilt over their laps as they sit on the couch watching the living room come to life. “Didn’t want to break the tradition honey.”

“Mmm, so how is everyone? I didn’t get a chance to talk to Baekhyun yet but I talked to Suho on the way home.”

“Baekhyun just had a performance final yesterday. I have a video so you and Suho can watch. The guys come over almost every day especially Chanyeol. Baekhyun went to parties here and there but he still manages to get straight A’s in all his classes, so I don’t worry too much.”

“That’s good,” Mr. Byun kisses his wife’s temple. “Speaking of Chanyeol and Baekhyun, I caught those two being lovey dovey in the kitchen while they were making hot chocolate. And I notice they’re wearing matching outfits,” he points out the two’s matching green beanies and red Christmas sweaters and his wife softly laughs.

“Aren’t they cute? You do not want to know how much Park’s been spying and fangirling over these two and telling me our sons will get married any time now,” Mr. Byun laughs, remembering just how crazy his best friend is. “Although I have done some spying myself,” Mrs. Byun looks at Baekhyun smiling fondly at Chanyeol helping Suho with the train set, “I think our son is grown up.”

“I think so too.”

“Though, I’m sure when they’re ready, they’ll tell us they’re dating. Besides, I think they are. I caught those two holding hands this morning,” she laughs.

“I’m cool with ChanBaek but if Chanyeol ever hurts my baby son, I will beat his ,” Mr. Byun says, although there’s a slight hint of teasing in his voice.

“Oh shush, Chanyeol would never hurt our Baekhyunnie. He simply adores our son honey.”

"Oh hon. How would you feel if we go on a week long ski and snowboarding trips. You, me, our sons and the Parks? Before Christmas? Some catching up to do."

"That'd be great! Let's tell the boys later. I'm sure Park will agree," Mrs. Byun snuggles and smiles when Baekhyun finally places the star at the top.

The Christmas tree has been assembled, boxes and little scraps of plastic already put away. Bright lights hang around the tree as well as the living room, courtesy of a certain giant. Red and green colors mix in with the different shades of colorful ornaments and boughs. A few ornaments with pictures of Baekhyun and Suho as children also there. Suho’s train set’s up and running beneath the tree and stocking with the Byuns’ names hang above the fireplace. The five of them now sit on different areas of the now dark living room, dressed in their pajamas and drinking hot chocolate while holding the Byuns’ traditional Christmas movie night. Santa’s elves make their appearances on the large HD-screen TV.

“You look even more like an elf with that red hat you’re wearing Yeollie,” Baekhyun points out his boyfriend’s red hat which match the elves. They’re sitting with enough distance from everyone else that they can’t be heard. Seated on one of the large retractable chairs, the two’s feet are propped in front of them as they snuggle up in one of Baekhyun’s quilts, Baekhyun using one of Chanyeol’s arms as his head rest and the younger resting his cheek on the elder’s head.

“Like a fairy looking yoda elf,” Baekhyun teases even more.

“Ya, Byun Baekhyun. Stop teasing me about my ears you .”

“I can’t help it though. You’re cute Yeollie-patootie,” Baekhyun snuggles his head in the crook of Chanyeol’s neck and the taller’s embrace tightens.

“Psh,” Baekhyun hides the smile plastered on his face when Chanyeol softly kisses his forehead.

“Being here with you is nice Baek,” Chanyeol softly whispers and hums along to the movie’s music.

“Remember when we were ten and your hair got stuck in one of the lights?” Baekhyun laughs.

“Oh god, don’t remind me. Remember that one time when we tried to get you up on my shoulders to put the star up on the tree? We both fell and got lots of scolding when the tree fell down with us.”

“Hahahah, oh my god. Back when you and I were actually the same height and stuff. Good times,” Baekhyun snuggles closer, practically sitting on Chayeol’s lap and listens to his boyfriend’s heartbeat, the soft thumps calming him. “This is nice Yeollie.”

“Mhhmmm. Let’s do this every year and maybe once we’re older and possibly living together, we can have our own traditions.”

“Why would I want to live with a clumsy giant?”

“Because that clumsy giant just so happens to be me duh. I also heard he’s very handsome and cooks really well.”

“Hmmmm. That sounds promising. Alright then. Deal,” Baekhyun leaves a soft kiss on the corner of Chanyeol’s lips before dozing off to sleep, hearing the sound of Santa’s Ho! Ho! Ho! as he closes his eyes.

“Goodnight Baekhyunnie.”

“Night Yeollie-patootie.”