Promposal

"Ya! Park Chanyeoool!"

May 2015

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes and grins at his friend standing in front of him, trying to hide her blush beneath her hands while she covers the wide smile on her face. He further rolls his eyes and smacks the next person sitting behind him at the cafeteria table, Chanyeol, who's giving cat calls and woots that encouraged the rest of the cafeteria to follow. His boyfriend could be so immature sometimes but Baekhyun does the same when Haylee finally gains some of her senses and accepts Lay, her boyfriend of about a month and a half now, who's been patiently standing in front of her while holding a poster and balloons, waiting for his girl to say yes to going to prom with him. The people watching erupt in cheers when Lay and Haylee kiss, a sign that the dimpled guy wasn't rejected and Lay sheepishly leads them out of the loud cafeteria while Haylee excitedly waves to Baekhyun and tells him she'll talk to him later. Baekhyun winks at her and nods.

It's surprising what two months can do. Because of choir and theater, Haylee and Baekhyun had formed a bond over their love of performing and it bloomed even more when Baekhyun brought Haylee to his usual table to hang out with them during lunch. It also helped that they became friends when Haylee admitted to wanting to with Baekhyun two months ago at his favorite cafe, when she and Chanyeol finally got closure between them. Oh, and Baekhyun won't brag about how he's the sole mastermind behind Haylee and Lay getting together, with a little side help from Chanyeol who talked to Lay during basketball practices. Definitely not.

Needless to say, the table was a lot more crowded,  with Haylee and Lay and the addition of Taeyeon and her girlfriend Tiffany, who'd transferred over second semester. The boys decided they join two tables together instead being squished on one when Kris had demanded one day for more leg area and Taeyeon said she was being squished. It's been good ever since, because instead of just a table filled with hormonal immature boys fighting over food, there were now noonas that kept them in place with their casual glares and routined although amused, complaints of the boys (Chen, Sehun, and Jongin) being too annoying for their mature souls. It was like a picnic except every day was another in which they'd anticipate what type of ruckus they could create next. Located at the mid-center of the cafeteria, it was like an island for them, surrounded by other conversations and lively people hanging out while they took a break from class.

Baekhyun's friendship with Haylee and Taeyeon, his and Chanyeol's ex-girlfriends, took him by surprise. But he grabbed on to it, just like how he did with Kyungsoo and Luhan, and now he sees them as the female versions of his two male bestfriends. After school choir practices have never been so fun and Baekhyun doesn't completely understand how it all came to be but he likes it. And so as the cafeteria quiets down a notch just as quickly as it was to be noisier than usual, Baekhyun flicks his boyfriend on the forehead and chuckles.

"So Chanyeol, when are you going to ask me to prom like that hmm? Or do I have to do it?" Baekhyun jokes while cuddling next to his boyfriend beside him.

"Yeah hyung, time's ticking. Baek hyung might not even accept you now," Sehun teases. He dodges a piece of bread thrown his way by Chanyeol.

"Ya, I didn't say I wasn't going to ask. I have plans you know. I will. I even bought the tickets already," Chanyeol proudly replies. He turns to his small boyfriend and gives Baekhyun a kiss on the forehead before squeezing the guy close and saying, "I'm gonna ask. I just want it to be perfect. They say prom only happens once in a lifetime you know."

"Not unless you get asked to prom twice by two people from two different schools," Jongin replies while Kyungsoo chuckles beside him.

"You know what I mean!" Chanyeol whines. "You guys have been rubbing it in my face that I haven't asked Baekhyun yet and reminding me that prom's two weeks away but still. I haven't heard you guys tell us about how you asked. You probably didn't, did you?" He snickers proudly, once again thinking he beat them at their own game of 'Let's Tease Chanyeol'. It's true, he's been hearing Jongin and Sehun because out of the rest of the guys at the table, he's probably the only one who hasn't given hints of asking or asked their boyfriend to be his prom date.

"You would've if you didn't use your time making googly eyes," Kyungsoo emphasises while Luhan chuckles, "with Baekhyun hyung to notice that Luhan hyung was talking to us yesterday about how Sehunnie asked." Sehun smiles at the sound of his name and happily lays a loud kiss on Luhan's cheeks, earning a complaint of "Ugh, gross Sehunnie!"

 

 

Sehun walks up to the counter of his and Luhan's favorite bubble tea place and gets their favorite drinks. He looks back nervously at Luhan seated at a table, clearly playing with his phone while waiting and Sehun decides he has nothing to worry about. Because this is just another one of their bubble dates which he knows always gets his boyfriend on a good mood no matter what. He knows Luhan needs it too, after having spent some time thinking about which university to go to after receiving acceptance letters earlier in the week. So he kindly asks for a sharpie from one of his favorite employees, Daehyun, the guy giving it to him and noticing what Sehun's writing as it took so long, before taking the marker back and giving him a thumbs up for good luck.

It should be Luhan who's asking really, because Sehun isn't the senior between them and it's Luhan's prom, but something in his plan makes Sehun think that being asked to prom instead of doing the asking, would make things more special. Sehun smiles while he walks back and looks at the plastic cup in his hand, his own scribbled writing on the side with a cheesy line, and hopes that he won't be rejected.

"Hey Lu, your favorite with extra boba," Sehun places the cup in front of Luhan while he sits down beside the male on the cushioned seat and waits for Luhan to turn off his phone before handing him the straw.

"Thanks Hun!" Luhan happily replies, reaching for the straw with a smile and waving to the counter before sipping on the cold drink and eyeing the side for what might be another one of Daehyun's attempts of spelling his name, each time a new way of changing up Luhan's identity. But instead of the misspelling that he doesn't know is because of Sehun's deal with Daehyun to keep misspelling Luhan's name just to make him smile, Luhan's eyes pop at the sight of small but familiar scribbly writing and the words that must've taken a while to write on the cup holder. 

"Your favorite slush wouldn't be the same without the sweet boba you like so much. Just like how your favorite person beside you wouldn't feel the same without a sweet person like you to make him whole. Will you give me the pleasure of taking you to prom? Love, Sehun."

Really it's a feat that Sehun managed to write so much on such a small area, but with anything that involves Luhan, it's like lightbulbs are hanging above Sehun's head and it's like he can do anything he sets his mind to.

Luhan just about choked on the boba in his mouth once he rereads what Sehun's written and after a while of almost choking, he wraps his arms around Sehun, squishing the other's beneath his and squeezes, whining something about how Sehun almost made him choke and die on his boba.

"It's not my fault you chose to drink your slush before looking at the cup first you crazy old deer. You should've done it the other way," Sehun innocently says over sipping his slush, with a sign of amusement in the crinkling of the sides of his eyes that Luhan doesn't fail to notice other than the fact that his boyfriend also called him a crazy old deer.

"Oh Sehun, I'm going to kill you!" Luhan whines over a sore throat which Sehun appeases him by wrapping an arm around his shoulders and pulling him close, apologizing for the shock with a squeeze of his muscular arms.

"Oh I'll kill you you know...just, after prom," Luhan smiles, trying to hold in the wider one he wants to let out after it finally sinks in that Sehun surprised him by asking him first. He can't say he's not relieved because with Chanyeol's excessive badgering of what perfect way he could ask Baekhyun to prom, Luhan was still raking for a how to with Sehun. So he's happy that Sehun had the balls to ask him, no pun intended. Sehun turns to Luhan and tilts his head.

"So you're letting me take you to your prom?"

"Yes," Luhan grins, "as long as you let me take you to yours next year you crazy young noodle. Will you?" he teases, sipping on his slush and leaning into Sehun's side, to which the other lets out a satisfied sigh.

"Of course," Sehun promises, placing a kiss on the top of Luhan's head before waving to Daehyun now cleaning the counter and giving the guy a thumbs up. Daehyun smiles and gives him two right back before Sehun looks away.

"This was perfect Sehun," Luhan whispers and Sehun smiles to himself, twirling Luhan's fingers in his.

Promposal complete.

 

 

 

"Minnie was asked by Jongdae a long time ago y'know," Luhan adds. "I think Jongdae might've swooped in and asked when I'd announced tickets were being sold already. You know how lovey dovey obsessed that troll is with Minnie. Plus, Kyungsoo and I were there to help."

"Tao was asked by Kris hyung already. You were there hyung," Jongin tells Chanyeol. "It was about thirty minutes after that basketball practice that Kris hyung let you handle by yourself last week. I wasn't there at the time to see it but I know enough to know Kris hyung made the rest of the JV team wear shirts that spelled "Huang Zitao, Prom?" It was cute, I guess, little cliched because I know I've seen that from a movie before, and slightly gross," Jongin high fives Sehun after remembering how most of them were still a little sweaty or damp after having taken a shower and how funny it was to see a flustered Tao while their team captain was awkwardly waiting for an answer from the Wushu panda. Don't ask him how Tao managed to see sweaty guys appealing but he must've anyway because he'd accepted Kris' promposal.

"And Jongin already asked me," Kyungsoo says.

 

 

 

Jongin chuckles as he looks over to Kyungsoo leaning his head back on the couch in the living room across from the kitchen, the small male covering his eyes with an arm and sighing after having finished cleaning up Jongin's floury mess on the counter earlier. Jongin looks down at the sight of several raspberry macadamia cookies, Kyungsoo's favorite, that he helped make and with a small pouch of vanilla icing in hand, he determinedly sets off to decorating them in his own artistic way.

Kyungsoo's just about on the brink of sleep, as he was another guy spending time thinking about which university to go to after getting some acceptance letters in the mail and talking to Luhan and Baekhyun, but the sound of Jongin's voice breaks through, calling him back to the kitchen while his legs take him there on their own.

"Kyung can you come here for a sec? I think I ruined the cookies or something," Jongin called over. Kyungsoo wastes no time and hurries over beside his boyfriend standing in front of a pan of his favorite cookies, and almost has the urge to smack the taller male when he hands him a clean napkin and tells Kyungsoo to look at the cookies. But instead of the mess he's expecting, Kyungsoo sees a pan of completely normal cookies, until he stops on five that say, "PROM?"

He quickly turns to his boyfriend and stops because Jongin's looking at him with one of those looks where he's smiling but his eyes speak more, lovingly to put it. Jongin points for Kyungsoo to look at the napkin in his hand and Kyungsoo's glad he didn't crumple it because on it, in Jongin's neat handwriting, are words and a small drawing of what must be them two dancing. He doesn't have to say the words out loud as he reads because Jongin says them for him.

"I must've have danced and annoyed my way into your heart right? I realized I want to dance with you forever and thought, wouldn't the best first dance be at Kyungie's prom? I'll make it a night to remember, I promise. Will you let your silly dancer boyfriend take you? Please? With extra macadamia on top? Love, Jongin."

A smile forms on Kyungsoo's face and he teasingly sticks one of his freshly baked cookies in his mouth before walking away, leaving his boyfriend planted where he is before the other realizes he's gone and Kyungsoo's laughing. Jongin gives out an exclamation of Kyungsoo not answering yet to which the other giggles and says a loud "YES!" as they end up in a tangled tickle fight. Jongin chuckles into Kyungsoo's neck and Kyungoo smiles up at the ceiling, his sides burning from having been tickled. The two look at each other and after a second, laugh.

Promposal complete.

 

 

 

"Well, looks like you have competition Yeollie," Baekhyun smiles up at his boyfriend. The rest of the guys snicker when Chanyeol's eyebrows furrow and he's cut off from giving a response when the bell rings for their next class. They walk out, the other four giving a "See you later in class" while Baekhyun continues smiling at his now silent boyfriend as they walk to their sixth period together. He hums while holding his boyfriend's hand, continues to do so when they go to their lockers and get their music sheets, and chuckles to himself when he peeks over and sees that Chanyeol's still to immersed in his thoughts. Baekhyun's completely amused because he knows what his giant's been thinking of, and if he was being completely honest, he rather thinks its adorable to see his boyfriend so neck deep in his thoughts, knowing that somewhere in there Chanyeol's thinking of Baekhyun.

It's quite funny how Chanyeol's stressing himself out when Baekhyun could rather care less how the giant asked him to prom. Does Chanyeol even need to ask when Baekhyun knows they'd go together anyways? It's just a dance anyways. But he guesses that it's quite nice as well, having the guy think about how to ask and wanting it to be perfect. It's fun, hearing from Luhan and Kyungsoo or Haylee and Taeyeon about another one of Chanyeol's freakouts when Baekhyun wasn't present or late texts asking them what they thought would be the perfect surprise promposal. Another perk to having the four as friends is that they'll tell him just about everything that has to do with his silly boyfriend. Like how Chanyeol had asked if bringing Baekhyun on a date to Lotte World and asking him there would be too much, which Luhan apparently rejected with a big fat "DUH" because he knows Baekhyun doesn't give a crap about big proposals. Or when Chanyeol had asked if placing flowers and balloons in Baekhyun's room would be too much pollen and plastic that Baekhyun might reject his promposal, which Taeyeon had laughed at and put down as well, because, how are they gonna clean after? Or when Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo if maybe cooking Baekhyun something like he did for their two months would be fine, until Kyungsoo demanded Chanyeol promise never to touch anything in the kitchen after reminiscing past accidents.

It's seriously, honestly, quite funny.

 

 

 

 

 

It's slightly nearing seven o'clock when Baekhyun starts hearing the sound of music coming from outside his house and he gets out from his bed to open his window and peer down to what might be some dumb kid messing with his boombox. Instead he sees Luhan, Kyungsoo, Sehun, Jongin, and most importantly, a sheepish Chanyeol looking up at him and loitering his front yard. The second the guys start singing in front of his window, a large smile lights up on Baekhyun's face and he runs down the stairs and opens his front door, and watches the guys grinning.

Kyungsoo continues singing, his voice floating in the air, "You're my only light, the most blinding picture...Even if the sweet, sweet words that I practiced every single night melt straight out of my memory, at the sight of you smiling so brightly at me, facing this slightly awkward love of a boy and a boy, there isn't anything else that I need."

Jongin and Sehun continue the line and Baekhyun smiles at how shy they look, "You whispered to me with your honest eyes, and reflected them in your eyes, I'm smiling brightly as well. My heart is white and my cheeks turn red. Our meeting eyes go black and my sky turns yellow."

Luhan looks at Baekhyun and rolls his eyes while he sings and Baekhyun can't help but laugh because Chanyeol must've forced him into this embrassing serenade. "Everything looks different to me. Why might I be wandering through my own dreams every day? You came to me without a sound, carefully spreading more and more. Everything I got to know through you is beautiful. I want to fall asleep forever in this dream."

The moment Baekhyun hears Chanyeol's above the rest, he steps out from his door and pads over to the grass to stand in front of his boyfriend, cheekily smiling as he sings. Chanyeol's blushing and Baekhyun knows it but he says nothing and lets the giant do what he wants. Has Baekhyun mentioned that Chanyeol has the sweetest, most deepest singing voice he's ever heard? It doesn't help that Chanyeol's also really cute. His voice is soothing and sometimes it's what he hears when the giant sings to him before he falls asleep at night.

"My heart is white and my cheeks turn red. Our meeting eyes go black and my sky turns yellow. Today in the world that is you, the moment I set foot here I was reborn. You came to me and bloomed one pretty rose. You're my only light, the light that brightens up my heart."

Chanyeol smiles, although he's completely nervous, when he's finished and he hands the smaller a boquet of flowers and a pack of Baekhyun's favorite candy. On it, Baekhyun's sees a sticky note with the words "#Yes #to #BaekYeol #at #Prom?" Baekhyun's raises his eyebrows at Chanyeol at the number of hashtags on the paper and as if to remind him of their little insider after Chanyeol'd posted a pic of them together with numerous hashtags, Chanyeol chuckles.

"Please tell me you get it."

"Oh I get it alright Yeol."

"Oh get on with it!" Luhan yells from behind them, and the two hear the snorts of the rest of the guys. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and flicks the bird to his bestfriend who laughs because he knows Baekhyun's telling him, "Shut up you ! I'm having a moment!"

"You know, I should probably kick you all out from loitering my yard at seven in the evening," Baekhyun says as he looks up at Chanyeol with the giant's arms wrapped around his waist.

"Baekhyun I live right next door, it's not much."

"Still, a bunch of guys singing isn't something you see everyday and I'm pretty ing sure my mom's looking at us right now," Chanyeol looks behind Baekhyun and what does he know, his boyfriend's right, because he sees the smaller's parents smiling at him and urging him to go on. He shakes his head and chuckles.

"So.....if you didn't get it yet I was asking you to pro-"

Baekhyun kisses Chanyeol before he can finish the sentence and seals the deal. Baekhyun can faintly hear an amused Luhan yell "Finally!" and the cat calls of Sehun and Jongin while Kyungsoo tells them to shut up. His parents on the other hand are another deal as he sees his mom's taking pictures and god, how embarassing can his mom get? But Baekhyun shakes his head and hangs on to Chanyeol's neck, the giant looking down at him with twinkling eyes and a big smile plastered on his face. The two share a laugh after kissing again and shooing their friends and family away. Later when Baekhyun lays down beside Chanyeol on his bed, he hears Chanyeol whisper and smiles.

"Perfect promposal complete."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

was this fluffy enough? comment below(: next chapter's gonna take you on a 360. lol peace, xxjuly.