Growing

One of a Kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                                                   Growing

 

Yonghwa has his head on the table trying to catch some sleep during lunch hour, the twins have been really fuzzy lately since they started walking. He and Maki has been constantly trying to take turns on the twins since Joohyun’s been so tired with her 5th pregnancy, she is currently on her first trimester and everything that a pregnant woman experience during this time, she is experiencing also, from late night cravings, to being over emotional to morning sickness. They found out she’s pregnant the morning of the twins first birthday. They are also in the process of moving houses since the current house can no longer hold a soon family of 8, too little space and not enough bathroom. Even though Ia only comes home during school breaks they tend to leave her room as it is for her and they don’t have the heart of having Ysabelle share her room with the twins especially now that she’s starting school and needs rest and enough sleep.

Maki already develop dark rings around his eyes, aside from helping Yonghwa with the twins and helping out with the restaurants, he also need to wake up early for school since he’s now on his Senior year and has never been this busy  with school activities. They are in the finals for high school basketball and is in semi final play offs for his high school football team, at the same time being a nice boyfriend. His girlfriend, Taia is also a player for the soccer team but is still in her Junior year. Unlike Ia, he decided to stay within the state for college, he’s now down to choosing between San Francisco State University or Berkley. Yonghwa looked at the family picture on his office table and smiled. He can still clearly remember when Maki introduced Taia to them

It was a one of those lazy Saturday spring afternoon and everyone was watching Maki’s Junior league kids, they were all seated at the bleachers sodas, juices and sandwiches on hand. Jessica and Mike were busy calming their hyper active toddler, Tiffany was on the benches handing out drinks to the players as two of her kids are there playing. Jonghyun and Taeyeon were sitting beside Joohyun and Mary and were helping out with the twins. Yonghwa being a stage father was on the field side with Nick and the other dads getting ready for the welcoming of the new recruits for the Little Tyke division. Same as the Junior league, the kids in the Little Tyke division also get their own uniform with their name and number on them and Yonghwa couldn’t be even more happier when he sees his daughter in a complete baseball uniform with the name Jung at the back and number 22. He took numerous photos and had sent over a dozen to all his family and friends and even everyone in Korea, he still also has his twitter active and posted pictures there with the caption “Jung can do it!”

During the introduction of each kids, the dad or the mom will put a cap on the littly tyke and it was Yonghwa who did it for Ysa and Nick for Kayla. The minute Maki called on Ysabelle Hopes name (which is now legally changed to Ysabelle Hope S. Jung) the whole family erupted in cheers and Joohyun who has YoungHee Jung in her arms while feeding YunHee Jung who was being carried by Mary jumped in glee. They decided to give the twins Korean names this time since Ysabelle already has a western name and well technically both the dad and mom is Korean. The only people who are not present were Ia who is still in Paris and Nana and Buddy who had to stay at home because of Buddy’s health, he had just undergone a heart surgery and everyone is optimistic that he will recover but of course they all know that Buddy is already old which was slicing Joohyun to pieces everytime she comes for a visit. Everyday she comes over to her grandparents house and put on an act but once she gets home and in the confines of the bathroom, Yonghwa could hear her cry almost everynight. He knows the fear that Joohyun has of the future especially of her grandfather who has been her pillar and fortress all at the same time. It will be like cutting off both of Joohyuns legs if something was to happen to Buddy.

The moment Yonghwa put the hat on Ysabelle a small family cheered loudly at the other side of the bleachers with a big banner of Go Ysabelle Hope with balloons on them. He looked at the family and tried to think if they knew them but as far as he can recall, they don’t. It was a dad and a mom and a teenage daughter around the same age as Maki. Yonghwa smiled at the small family but his head is spinning trying to remember if they met somewhere. After the announcement and while Maki was saying his goodbyes and thank yous to his little players and their parents, the family and friends gathered at one corner to which Yonghwa cornered Joohyun

“Hon, did you notice the family on the other side who had a big banner for Ysa?”

“OMG you saw that too? I saw them and I was thinking who are they!?”

“I know, I’m still digging in the farthest corner of my mind where we saw them but I really can’t”

“Oh wait they’re coming here, guess we don’t have to think any more” as she side eye him now

Yonghwa took Younghee from Joohyun and was surprised to see Maki hugging the mom and the dad of the girl then kissed the girl on the temple. He slowly looked at Joohyun who was staring at the scene and is profusely wiping Ysa’s now clean face with baby wipes

“Joohyun I think Ysa is clean now” of which his words fell on deaf ears as Joohyun continue to wipe the now red cheeks Ysa.

“Mommy your hurting me” Ysa protested while trying to remove her moms hands on her face

Joohyun heard Ysa and apologized to the little girl but continued to wipe her face while looking at the small crowd in question and only stopping when the small family which is now including Maki who’s arms is around the girls shoulder approached them. Taeyeon who by the way is now about to give birth chuckled as she took Ysa out of Joohyuns reach and handed her to Jonghyun who soothes the little girls chubby cheeks, afraid that one more wipe can cause her red cheeks to bleed.

“Are you okay?” Jonghyun whispered

“my cheek stings Uncle Jonghyun” as Ysa face crumpled

“It’s ok” as he tap the little girls back

The couple have permanently stayed in the US for the company leaving Minhyuk and Jungshin to handle the Seoul branch.

“Hi! We’ve heard so much about you!” As the woman came forward to shake their hands, Joohyun now looked at Maki for some explanation

“Appa, mom, This is Rob and Sharon Stanford, Taia’s parents, and this is Taia, my girlfriend, Mr and Mrs. Stanford these are my parents my dad Yonghwa and my mom Joohyun” as he solemly looked at his mothers face

Yonghwa can swear that he saw how Joohyuns face slowly draining from blood. No amount of lipstick and cheek blush can put the color back to her face.

“Hi, Nice to meet you I saw you guys cheer for Ysa a little earlier, thank you for that!” she showed her million watt smiled even in the midst of a confusing scenario

Yonghwa of course the ever so charming man he is spoke “Would you like to join us for an early dinner at our house?” to which the family agreed. Later that night Joohyun cried like a baby to Maki and asking him to be careful and be responsible and not to grow up too fast and promise to always be her baby boy no matter what. Maki looked at Yonghwa in defeat and just hugged his mother tightly soothing her and assuring her that he will always be her baby boy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter