Chapter 27

The Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

XXVII

Li's POV 

 

 

          I stared down my own self lying surrounded by doctors and nurses slitting, cutting, and stitching parts of my body. I usually feel sick watching this kind of things but right now I surprisingly didn't. I cannot feel any pain. It's almost impossible for me to believe that I really couldn't since my flesh is totally messed from the accident. I thought these kind of thing I see on dramas are purely fictional but now that I'm experiencing it first hand I really wonder how writers got it accurately.

 

          I remembered how I hate hospitals so much. It's smell and food specifically. I remembered telling my bestfriend that the last place I would want to be in when I die is a hospital.

 

          I looked at the screen that monitors my heart activity. How could I be stable at a time like this? People are fixing me mechanically yet I stay still as a doll as if I'm not aware of what they're doing. I am completely aware of what's going on but not feeling anything really bothers me. Is this normal? Does this mean anything? Too bad there's no one I can ask to with my questions. I can't even get a grip of anything. Everything just passes through me like I'm some kind of an air. No one can see me. No one can hear me.

 

          For the first time since my soul or whatever you call this separated from my body I actually felt something real. A strange pain inside my chest. It constricted tightly as a tear roll down my cheek. Images of my loved ones started flashing inside my head one by one. Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, Kai, Shai, Taehyung ,. . .

 

          The sound of a monitor beeping unflaggingly sent me out of my thoughts. I started to panick.

 

“No no please. Help me! Save me!”

 

          My brows furrowed as I saw them not doing anything about my heart beat dropping low. I shot my eyes back to the screen just to see nothing new. The monitor shows my stable vital signs. And that was the time I noticed another screen beeping tirelessly a few feet away from me.

 

          I spun around and fixed my eyes at the other person lying like me.

 

“Byunghun”

 

 

“Please transfer the patient. I'm going to meet her family.” I heard a doctor said before heading for the door.

 

“Wait, what? My family? Where are they? Wait!”

 

          I took a quick glance back to Byunghun before darting after the doctor.

 

          My feet automatically glued to the floor when I saw everyone's faces outside the emergency room.

 

 

“Is my son okay?” Byunghun's mom asked.


 

“What about my daughter?” Dad added.


 

          A sob escaped my mouth looking at their current states. They look like they're about to faint anytime soon and I can't stop from blaming myself for this.


 

“The young man is still under surgery from another doctor. I was taking care of the girl. About her, I have both good and bad news,” The doctor informed.


 

“What do you mean by that, doc?”

          My eyes shifted towards Taehyung. The last time I saw that look on his eyes was just right before I out after hurting my ankle from falling off a trunk of tree. I don't know why but somehow, seeing it again makes me feel a bit safer. Just like how he became my own safe haven right before I passed out in his arms. I can't exactly tell why I suddenly knew that I will be all right the time I saw that look on his face. Unlike how I hate looking at my family's worried faces, I feel determined to fight just by seeing that fear in his eyes. It gives me strength to keep holding on.

 


 

“We successfully took care of her broken ribs and she fortunately survived the operation. She's safe for now”


 

          The doctor's additional info caught my attention away from Taehyung.


 

“What do you mean 'she's safe for now'?” My mom's voice almost cracked from nervousness.


 

“Your daughter”


 

          I narrowed my eyes at the doctor as he paused.


 

“She's currently in a state of coma”


 

          I felt my body froze as my surrounding started to spin.


 

“Taehyung” I called weakly as I saw him run away.


 


 


 

 


 

          I shook my head looking down at Taehyung's sleeping figure in the bench outside the ICU.


 

“This idiot. Why aren't you going home?!” I shuffled my hair in annoyance since of course he can't hear me.


 

“What the . .”


 

          I snapped my head around just to see my bestfriend staring in disbelief at Taehyung.


 

“Shai!!!”


 

“Heol. Your family is looking everywhere for you and here you are sleeping in a bench outside the ICU” Shai muttered after shrugging his shoulders.

 

          Taehyung stirred from his sleep. “Oh Shai. When did you arrive?” He sat up while tiredly rubbing his eyes.

 

 

“Kim Taehyung you idiot. You should've took a rest at home!”

 

“I came here straight from the airport,” Shai answered and sat down beside him.

 

“You must be tired. You should've went to the house first.”

 

“Look who's talking.” I rolled my eyes.

 

“Forget it. This is all I can do for my poor bestfriend. I'll wait for her here until she gets up from that damn hospital bed.”

 

“Oh Shai.”

 

“Me too. I'll never leave her side until she wakes up.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“You really like her a lot, don't you?”

 

“What? Yah what the h are you saying?”

 

“Huh?!”

 

“Yah Shai! Did you just smirked? Yah!”

 

“You really thought I did'nt noticed back then when she hurt her foot? I'm not Li you know, everyone can see that you like her except her.”

 

I felt my cheeks getting hot. “STOP IT SHAI WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!!!!”

 

“The wall she built from her first heartbreak made it almost impossible for any guy to get near her. But you know what? That 0.001% possibility actually came from you. You did broke the wall”

 

“What freaking wall are you talking about YAH!!”

 

“Forget it. It was all a waste. She reconciled with Byunghun”

 

“Yah you freaking stupid idiot Tae jerk hyung why aren't you telling her that she got it wrong? Tell her you pabo!”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You probably know his illness, right?”

 

“Oh. Yeah Kai told me” Shai hanged down her head. “I feel bad for hating him all this time.”

 

“Wait-what? How did you-”

 

“Yesterday Kai woke me up early in the morning, telling me that Li is missing. No matter how hard I try to find her, I just could'nt so I texted Byunghun for help”

 

“You what?”

“You what?”

 

“I was right. He was able to find her. So when I went to bring her home, I saw them. .” He paused. “That look Li gave him, I could'nt stand watching them get back. It hurts so much that I drove away from them. Then the next thing I knew, they got into an accident and was brought here”

 

“Taehyung”

 

“So in other words, this is all my fault. I did this to them”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter