Asked

Find Your Happy Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“I’ve decided to let it all go, unnie.” Victoria said quietly, “I’ve asked myself repeatedly before why I held on for so long. What you said last night? I realized I am being unfair to him AND myself.” She moves her fork around her plate.

“Are you sure? When I said all those things, I was not asking you to do the same.” Miranda was watching Victoria’s face closely. The younger girl nodded before looking up to meet her gaze.

“I’m sure, it’s not like I haven’t thought of this before. I just keep on pushing it back because I thought, somehow things are going to fall into place and I will finally have a shot at happiness. It’s not his fault, he’s always been upfront, I was the one who made it complicated. Last night, I discovered that I was keeping myself from being truly happy.” She sighs deeply and smiles at her older sister.

“Last night,” she paused, “Last night I discovered that I already have everything that I want and need. I clouded my future with a wishful thinking.” She reached for Miranda’s warm hand.

“Today, I promise to look out for myself more and focus on things that I have and hold them closer to my heart. Will you help me, Unnie?”

Miranda was listening to her intently. Her eyes softened as she gives Victoria a warm smile, she squeezed the hand that was holding hers.

“Of course. As long as you need me, I’m here. By your side. At all times.”

Victoria grinned.

Miranda chuckles, “I’m proud of you. I’m glad you are able to deal with this. But dearest, “ she levels her gaze with the girl,

“Take your time. We all know that the most important thing to do after you fall down is to get up. But you take your time doing that.”

“Somebody once told me, that when you go to battle, you arm yourself with a solid battle plan AND an exit plan. But the moment you enter the arena you attack as you need, most of the time you just end up winging it, the battle plan forgotten. The real goal is to be able to make it out alive, whether you were able to defeat your nemeses or not. The goal is to make it out alive, so you can go at it again, now better armed with experience no longer caught unawares.”

“So take your time, we all need to our wounds and heal.” she pats the younger girls hand.

Victoria nods with understanding. The two continued eating their breakfast in companionable silence.

 

“I almost forgot, they gave us our house yesterday.” Miranda told the woman across from her. They were just finished having breakfast and she was putting the dishes in the dishwasher. She forgot to inform the girl of the news last night since they were a bit occupied.

“Really unnie!” Victoria squealed in delight, she paused to look up at her older sister with dancing exited eyes. She was updating her Weibo, she just posted a picture of her and the radio host from yesterdays program. It’s a late post but that’s all she has right now. She can’t say that she is currently nursing a broken heart can she?

Miranda smiles at the perky response she got. It amazes her that the girl can still be excited about her virtual marriage after all that happened.

“Yes. They gave us a townhouse. It’s kind of small, but I guess it’s alright since we really don’t have to live there. It’s just for filming.” She was busy putting away the leftover ingredients in the fridge. She turned back to a very excited Victoria, she laughed when she saw how the girl was bouncing on her chair.

“Can we go see it? Today? Can we unnie?!”

Miranda figured that this might just distract her from all the drama from last night so she nods.

“Sure we can go and visit it today. I have nothing to do until later this evening.” She laughed when Victoria let out another squeal with glee.

“Asa! I can’t hardly wait, can we go right now?!”

They were interrupted by Miranda’s housekeeper.

“What’s going on here, why is this girl so excited?” she walked into the kitchen, both hands loaded with bags. She grinned at the two.

Victoria jumped up from her seat and ran to help the older woman.

“What’s all these, Aunty?” she peeks inside the bag she is carrying.

“I got abalone from one of my visiting friends. He just happens to be a fan of you both and wanted me to give you these.”

Both women stared at her with shock, “All these?!” Miranda exclaimed. She was standing beside Victoria as the younger girl started unloading the bags into the counter. Fruits and seafood and other goodies littered the counter.

“Oh my! These are just gorgeous.” Miranda awed went and gave the older woman a hug.

“Please tell your friend that we will enjoy these.”

Ho Sook laughed; “He will be in cloud nine when I tell him that!” she beams as the two women ohh and ahh-ed at the bounty she brought.

“Now, are you girls ever going to tell me what the excitement was about? I interrupted something and I am now dying to know what it is.” She placed her hands on her hips, her eyes shining with amusement.

Victoria giggled. “They finally got a newlywed home, Aunty!” she volunteered the information excitedly.

Ho Sook turned to an embarrassed looking Miranda, “Really now?!” she teased.

Ho Sook has declared her approval of the virtual marriage. She was extr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter