Chapter Fifty-Four

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sera]

 

His eyes were unblinking.

 

His eyes were not seeing.

 

He wasn’t seeing me, nor was he feeling me.

 

Instead, he was killing me.

 

As if time had slowed (cliche, I know), I watched as my boyfriend traipsed through the mass of fighting vampires. They parted like the Red Sea, as though the stars aligned and did something to our comrades for them to ‘coincidentally’ evade him.

 

He breezed through the numerous fights his, no, our, family and friends are having in his way. Undeterred, he strode towards us, towards me. As much as I had hoped that he wouldn’t fall under the man’s control, I knew my ability the best — no one escapes the moment you are targeted.

 

No one.

 

I would have been his puppet too, if not for my mother’s ability. As fortunate as it is, her ability isn’t lucky at all. Sure, I might be alive now. But I will never forget that it was this power that caused my mother to die.

 

And now, I’m next.

 

His shadow gradually covered mine, his sneakers stepping into my peripheral sight as they stopped in front of me. They were bloody, and an inkling of disgust and horror seeped into me as the thought of the red liquid being his father’s (as they were fighting before) shot into my mind.

 

As I thought, even kind souls can turn into monsters.

 

Just as Zhang Yixing can turn into the very person he doesn’t think he’d ever be.


 

“Oppa, why are you so kind to everyone?”

 

The boy had just returned from carrying the books of a struggling school mate that we chanced upon whilst walking out to the carpark. He told me to head onwards while he follows the girl (a blushing one at that, tch) to the staff room.

 

“Stop smiling at or helping everyone that you see.” I pouted slightly, slipping my hand into his. I wasn’t mad, not in the least, but the way the girl gazed at him… Let’s just say I was feeling benevolent enough to not wipe that dazed smile off her face (permanently). “People, especially girls, will get the wrong idea!”

 

“B-But… that’s how I am…” He turned to me, our feet stopping just in front of his vehicle. Somehow, his father had decided to gift him with one. “Why? Are you… perhaps… jealous?” A wide knowing grin spread across his face as his eyes glinted.

 

I stared at him, reeling with slight shock but I hurriedly composed myself and scoffed. Pinching his cheeks lightly, I tried to brush his statement off.  “Hah! Me? Jealous? No way.”

 

He gave me a sceptical look, his eyes piercing through me as I pointedly avoided his knowing gaze. If he knew that my words were a bluff, he didn’t expose me.  

 

Instead, he leaned against the passenger door, his arms circling around my waist. “Aww, I was hoping you would be… But, Sera, that’s me. I can never be cold to anyone. This kindness is in the blood y’know…”

 

I pursed my lips, mentally agreeing with that little fact as images of his parents being jovial and gracious towards everyone popped up in my head. Sighing, I reluctantly nodded.

 

“And sweetheart,” His hands cupped my face and his breath ghosted over my lips before he pulled me in to gently land his lips on mine.

 

“I could never not be unkind to you.”


 

that.

 

Zhang Yixing was being unkind. Very unkind right now.

 

Actually, unkind is a severe understatement.

 

Staring into his unseeing orbs, my heart began to shatter. He might be here, standing over me, his warmth still radiating off him and enveloping me, but I knew; he’s not here.

 

Yixing-oppa is not here with me.

 

His eyes held no emotions. The boy’s usual smiling eyes were empty, robbed of their seemingly permanent storage of happiness and rainbows (and unicorns). The overflowing love that would always be seen in them weren’t there.

 

As I continued to gaze at him, I felt myself being overwhelmed by the depth of those unblinking and unseeing eyes. Just how gone is he?

 

Very. I replied myself.

 

He’s totally gone.

 

My hands unconsciously reached up to my chest, not realising that I hadn’t been breathing for awhile now. I remember that I didn't need to breathe, but my chest still hurt, the feeling of pain spreading through me as the threshold increased and it tugged hard at me to acknowledge its existence.

 

“Finish her, Yixing.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter