Chapter Fifty

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sera]

 

"Watch out!"

 

Barely had I warned Yixing-oppa when a pair of elongated nails slash the spot where the boy used to stand. I watched the boy nimbly leap backwards, wanting to heave a sigh of relief but I didn't have the time to do just that as a pair of arms whirled me into an embrace.

 

"Keep your eyes on the game, Oh Sera!" The familiar chiding growl of my brother travelled to my ears as he easily evaded all incoming hostiles that were most definitely aimed at me. Nails and hands clawed desperately at me, their owners grunting in exhaustion at their failed attempts; my brother was too fast for them.

 

"I'm sorry," I apologised, knowing that he had to uphold his part of the promise to my father. "I just lost concentration for that moment."

 

"Well, you almost died because of that." Another hand brushed past me, triggering my goosebumps as the almost-contact brushed the minute hairs on my arm. Sehun-oppa continued to keep his arms around my waist, pulling me along with him as though I weigh nothing, like a rag doll. "And you know we can't afford to lose you now, not when we've already lost omma."

 

I gulped, knowing fully well that my brother speaks the truth; the cold, hard truth.


 

My eyes gazed at her, even long after her fingers had slipped from her heart, her eyes fluttering shut despite the heartwrenching pleas from my father. My brother looked on, his own eyes pleading with our mother, to not go, to not leave us without a mother.

 

To not die.

 

Amidst the men's displays of tears and begs, I watched her without any of those. I watched as her breathing gradually slowed, her chest beginning to stop heaving up and down, her fingers' grip on my father's hands loosening before releasing their hold on her husband altogether.

 

My father bawled, his eyes shut tightly and from his expression, I knew he greatly wished for her to stay with him. I looked at my brother, his expression telling me that he wished he had done something, because he thinks that if he had, our mother wouldn't be where she is right then.

 

Me? I just wish for her to safely reach the other side.

 

She turned cold in my father's warm arms, hair getting wet from his unstoppable tears. Her forearms paled shortly after my brother released them from his hands' grip, realising that his affectionate hold on our mother no longer meant anything to her because she could no longer feel his warmth. And, I could no longer hear them — the beats from her heart.

 

She was gone.


 

"I just–" I sighed, knowing that Sehun-oppa was in no way able to hear my excuses. "Yes, oppa."

 

"Good," He was getting breathless, and that can't be good. "Now, get behind me."

 

I hurriedly scrambled behind him when he landed lightly. He stepped away from me, a fond smile on his face as something dawned on me.

 

"No," My hands reached out to him as his fingers rose in the air, and my image of him in my eyes blurred slightly. The boy had erected an air barrier all around me. "NO! Oh Sehun, get back here!"

 

"Don't worry, as long as I'm alive, this barrier will keep protecting you." With his eyes still on me, he continued to back away from me, stepping onto the battlefield where our brothers and their parents were fighting against the hostile vampires on Jaehyun's side.

 

"So, stay safe dearest sis."


 

[Kyungsoo]

 

"Sehun!"

 

The boy directed a vortex towards the vampire that I had thrown over to him. The gale caught him, smothering his face with the unstoppable wind and when it died down, ashes and clothes drifted down.

 

He threw me a smirk, hand raising up for an air high-five, before leaping away when Luhan-hyung called for him. Keeping my senses heightened, I gazed after him.

 

Oh Sehun.

 

The boy who would cry over the smallest of things. Cried over spilt milk (literally), cried over stolen steaks, cried over a small paper cut. He even cried when Luhan-hyung refused to comfort him after a horror movie.

 

Yet, now, he’s fine. He’s fine, he’s smiling, he’s okay. He’s fighting with us, protecting his home, his family, his baby sister.

 

And, it’s barely an hour after his mother passed away right in front of him.


 

Aunt Lia slipped away.

 

I knew that she had when my mother’s silent sobbing suddenly escalated into a full-on bawl. Her cries of anguish filled the room, just as Aunt Alexa joined her, their blotchy and tear-streaked faces similar. Emotions ran high, the atmosphere turning dark and gloomy instantly.

 

The Queen of Vampires just died. There is nothing to rejoice about.

 

A single emotion emanated greatly from the Royal family.

 

I tore my eyes away from my mother whose face seemed to depict the struggle against the man’s hold over her body, disabling her from throwing herself at her best friend. Staring straight at Sehun, I could see the emotion so evidently etched onto his face.

 

Regret.

 

My eyes flitted to Sera, widening when her expression differed vastly from her remaining family’s.

 

Relief.

 

Both emotions start with the letter ‘R’, yet their meanings are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Oh Sehun and Oh Sera may be siblings, yet, their emotion at that point in time was as different as day and night, yin and yang.

 

But, they complete each other.

 

As with day and night, yin and yang; one cannot do without the other.

 

And as I gazed upon the pair of siblings, I couldn’t help but believe that they will pull through. As much as Sehun is grieving and mourning for his mother, I believe that he will come out of it.

 

Because there are people who need him.

 

His sister needs him.

 

Oh Sera cannot, and will not be able to live without her brother.


 

“Sehun!”

 

I heard her cry out, her hands pounding the barrier that enveloped her.

 

The boy’s groan of pain rang out and I immediately snapped my head to him, despite narrowly missing a slash of nails from the vampire that I was facing. I hurriedly disposed of him, no longer wishing to play games with him. Crushing his throat in my hand, he poofed into dust and I cringed when the substance blew onto my face. Roughly wiping them off, I discreetly weaved myself through the numerous battles that were scattered throughout the Room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter