Chapter Forty

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Kai]

 

“Kai-oppa~ Let’s hang out after school shall we? I know of a cafe that is both relaxing and romantic.”

“Kai-oppa, you promised me to catch a movie today.”

“Kai-oppa…”

“Kai-oppa…”

 

Why are they so annoying! Ugh!

 

“Will y’all keep quiet!?” With a snarl, I pushed myself out of the group of girls and stomped to the stairs.

 

What’s wrong with you Kim Jongin!

 

Kai would never treat girls like that.

 

“Like I wanted that to happen in the first place…” I muttered, resting my forehead against the wall, drawing curious glances from the students that were heading down the flight of stairs. “Dammit!”

 

If only I knew who the in this school smells like that mysterious person… I wouldn’t be feeling like this. Being kept in the dark sure stinks like hell, and there’s absolutely nothing I can do to alleviate my misery.

 

Argh!

 

I was so caught within my thoughts that I hadn’t realised that my feet had taken me straight to our usual table in the canteen, and the boys’ curious expressions greeted me when I snapped out of my daze.

 

"Hey Jongin, you look like a mess. Why? Got dumped by a girl?" Jongdae-hyung snickered.

 

"Shuddup..." I slumped into the chair, blatantly ignoring the tray of food that Sehun slid in front of me. “I’m not in the mood to joke right now…”

 

“Sheesh, what a jerk.” I heard Jongdae-hyung grumble and I tuned their voices out of my head, my eyes only staring at the tip of the straw that Sehun had popped into the lid of the cup for me.

 

It was only when I felt a hand on my head did I unconsciously look up to find her staring down at me, a small smile on her face as her lips formed words that I chose not to hear. I dropped my head, pointedly showing that I was disinterested but I knew she wouldn’t give up for her hands cupped the sides of my face and turned me towards her.

 

"Kai..."

 

"I’m not in the mood to talk to y–"

 

"Is there something wrong? You can tell me. The others have gone to get desserts.” She waved a hand at the now-empty table, fingers then pointing at the long line in front of the desserts counter. The sign overhead stated the most popular dessert that probably the whole school loves — banana sundae.

 

“Aren’t you going to get that? I heard they only serve a bowl to each student.”

 

She shook her head. “If missing out on it means that I get to talk to you while the others go grab it, then it’s worth it.”

 

A pang of guilt washed over me as her worried gaze appeared in my narrow line of vision. “So, do tell me what’s bothering you Kai-oppa.”   

 

"It’s…” I contemplated telling her, but ultimately decided that she would be the last person on earth that should know. The news would be far too much for her to take in. “N-Nothing. It’s nothing."

 

Her brows furrowed, obviously showing that she didn’t buy my story. She then sighed, nodding her head as she released my cheeks from her hold. "If you say so..."

 

The rest of the boys returned, hands cradling the precious bowls of sundaes as they settled down happily into their seats. From the corners of my eyes, I spied Yixing-hyung gesturing to the bowl while Sera shook her head, seemingly rejecting his offer to share.

 

I kept my eyes trained on Sehun’s bowl, trying hard to not be distracted by the spoon that plunges in and emerges out with a dollop of banana goodness. In all honesty, I loved banana and what I wouldn’t give to dash over and join the queue.

 

But of course, I wouldn’t surrender the theory I have in my head no matter how many bowls of banana sundaes you tempt me with. As much as I want to confide in the boys about the scent that has been lingering around me, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I don’t wish for the hyungs to be bothered by this not-proved theory of mine.

 

In the end, I could be just over-thinking.

 

Just as I was about to set my mind to forget about the scent, it came back to haunt me.

 

Subconsciously, I stood up from my seat and my eyes widened as I scanned the area.

 

There’s nothing.

 

Yet I was certain that the bearer of the scent was in the area as my eyes continued to dart around the canteen, resting upon a person I never expected.



 

[Sehun]

 

My eyes flitted to him the moment the screech of his chair alerted us to his behaviour.

 

I watched as his eyes flew around the canteen wildly, seemingly searching for something. His behaviour worried me, as do the rest of us for my best friend had been behaving rather peculiar throughout the day.

 

He wasn’t concentrating during class, eyes transfixed on something in front of him and even got his head whacked by a teacher who had been calling his name for seconds. The boy had also been ignoring girls the moment he stepped into the school which was really strange for he seemed fine at home and on the way here.

 

"What is he doing?" Suho-hyung said, eyes narrowed as he addressed Luhan-hyung who was seated beside him and I. The elder boy shrugged, an expression of confusion on his face as he looked at the boy still standing up, his eyes having stopped searching and now fixated at the entrance of the canteen.

 

Upon the only person entering the area.

 

"W-Why is he looking at J-Jieun?"

 

All of our heads simultaneously swiveled to the entrance as Jongdae-hyung identified the person that was waving her hands excitedly at us. She made her way over to us, and Sera stood up, a smile on her face.

 

It was then did we pick up a guttural growl from one of us and instantly, Kris-hyung stepped in front of Kai. He placed the boy in a headlock, dragging him away from the table, keeping his head low and out of sight.

 

The scene caused a slight commotion in the canteen as heads of curious students turned to look at the pair leaving the canteen. Kris-hyung nodded politely at a startled Jieun who barely returned the favour before the rest of us followed suit.

 

I glanced at Sera, a reassuring hand on her shoulder to ease her worries that were depicted so obviously on her face. “We’ll take care of it. You keep Jieun company, sis.”

 

She nodded as Jieun appeared in my peripheral vision with a half-cheerful greeting. I smiled as my sister immediately directed the human girl’s attention away from us, offering Jongdae-hyung’s half-eaten bowl of sundae to her. A soft squeak of denial was the last thing I heard before I rushed after my brothers.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter