Chapter Thirteen

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Lia]

 

"Sera! Stop running around! You just had your dinner."

 

In a fit of giggles, a small girl chased after a boy who was laughing heartily as he flexibly avoided the girl's advances.

 

"Sehun! Stop goading your sister on by running away! Let her catch you already!"

 

"Nope, never." The boy plastered a mischievous smile on his face.

 

These kids, they never rest. Do they?

 

I settled down at the foot of my throne and watched fondly as my two children continued their play.

 

Just then, the wooden doors opened and a man entered.

 

"Papa! Wait for me!"

 

A small boy trailed after his father who stood at the entrance, waiting with his hand extended.

 

The son slipped his small hand into his father's large one as he ran past and together, they hurtled into the Throne Room.

 

I smiled at their heartwarming entrance and acknowledged their bows with a curt nod.

 

"Your Majest–" The man started and I shot him a frown. "– Lia."

 

Pleased with his greeting, a grin replaced the frown. "Hanxi. Here for the meeting? You're early, it doesn't start for another hour."

 

The man chuckled and glanced over to the younger ones, who were currently sitting down and playing some clapping game. "I know, it's just that my son pestered me to come earlier."

 

He pointedly looked at Sera, who had somehow made her way onto Yixing's lap, and I knew what he was implying.

 

"Alright, I ought to head to the Meeting Room as well. Hanxi, let's go." He nodded and extended a hand towards me, which I accepted and he placed it in the crook of his arm. "Kids, stay here alright? Omma has to attend a meeting with Uncle Hanxi."

 

Yixing glanced up and nodded. "I'll keep them safe, Your Majest– Aunt Lia."

 

Of course you will, my future son-in-law. Tee hee.


 

Something isn't right.

 

Why do I feel so uneasy?

 

"Lia?" I snapped to my husband's voice, and his concerned face appeared in my line of vision. "Are you alright? We can continue the meeting another time if you're unwell."

 

He placed a large and reassuring hand on mine and I realised that I had been wringing them.

 

"I-I'm fine."

 

"Are you sure?" Ariane called out from her seat down the long table. "Lia, we can always sto–"

 

"I said, I'm fine." The sharpness in my tone shocked me and my words echoed in the large Meeting Room. My friend bowed her head and silenced herself. I caught her husband pulling her to him and guilt gnawed at me.

 

Sometimes, I don't want to be Queen.

 

"Alright, we'll continue." Jaehoon announced and we resumed our discussion of the various matters that required our attention.   

 

I was mentally exhausted. My mind kept whirring and the uneasiness never went away.

 

It was when my right eyelid twitched did I decide to heighten my senses. I closed my eyes and focused on my hearing.

 

Nothing out of the ordinary.

 

The sounds of the kids' laughter and glee travelled to my ears from the Throne Room and I sighed mentally in relief.

 

It's okay, Lia. They're fine.

 

I opened my eyes and was about to fully place my attention into what Hanxi and my husband were quarrelling about when my ears picked up something.

 

Something fast. Something light.

 

The sound's intensity doubled and seconds later, screams of terror resounded ominously throughout the Mansion.

 

Something dangerous.

 

Almost instantly, I found myself in the room that I was in before. Someone's breathing had quickened and I realised that one of the Council members, and our friend, Yoonjae had mass teleported all twenty-four of us into the Throne Room.

 

There was no time for gratitude as more bloodcurdling screams echoed within the large room. And this time, I could clearly hear who screamed.

 

"Sera!" I spied her, and her brother huddled together on their father's throne. They cowered under the gazes of numerous men that dinner all-black outfits, masks obscuring their faces.

 

If my kids are there, then where is...

 

"Yixing!"

 

The anguished cries of his mother, Ziyi, wrenched my heart as I saw where he was.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter