Chapter Forty-One

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sera]

 

"Sera?”

 

A familiar voice came from beside me, calling me out of my stupor. I rubbed my eyes hard and turned to her, a frown forming on my face as her worried one gradually sharpened in my sight.

 

“Sweetheart? Are you alright? I’ve been calling your name for a minute now, but you seemed to so absorbed in your own thoughts.” She placed a warm hand on my head, fingers patting it rhythmically, and strangely, I felt at ease. “You’ve been like this since you returned from following after the boys…”

 

Jieun’s worry flooded her eyes and in that moment, I believed that she can’t possibly be a dangerous character.

 

Jieun can't be someone like them. It just isn't right. Kai-oppa's nose must be faulty.

 

However there is part of me that rejected my belief; because of an unknown mission, did she approach me on purpose? Did she become my friend so as to accomplish whatever objective she had received from who-knows-who?

 

Was our friendship nothing but a fat lie?

 

“-era!” I felt a light knock on my head and my eyes immediately flitted to hers. “Gosh, you zoned out again! Are you seriously okay?”

 

I gave her a small smile. "I am alright. Really."

 

Jieun pursed her lips before letting out a soft, resigned sigh. "Alright, whatever you say girl. I am always here if you need me."

 

“I know you are.”

 

She smiled and the affection for me glowing from her face seemed so genuine, so true.

 

Yet, it frightened me.

 

"I'll see you tomorrow then. I wanted to snap you out of your daze before heading home.” Jieun came in for a hug and gave a light pat on my back. I let my arms hang at my sides, and I hoped she hadn’t realised how awkward I’ve become. “Dad asked me out for dinner today, so I gotta go.”

"You sound like your dad doesn’t take you out for dinner often.” I joked, ruffling her hair playfully as she gasped in shock. “Alright, alright. I’m sorry, and I’ll see you tomorrow."

 

As I watched her skip out of the classroom, my hand waving at her, my chest prickled and confusion washed over me.

 

What am I to do? What am I to believe?

 

Can I believe in you, Kim Jieun?


 

“You look terrible, Sera.”

 

I scowled at Zitao-oppa who flinched and subsequently threw himself into Kris-oppa’s car upon seeing me gliding towards Chanyeol-oppa’s.

 

“You loo–”

 

“Save it.” I growled, arms folding across my chest as Yixing-oppa scooted in beside me. “I already heard it from Zitao-oppa.”

 

From the corners of my eyes, I saw how his brows rose and his eyes darted to an equally befuddled Sehun-oppa who sat on my other side.

 

“Then I’m guessing that that boy told you how pretty you look today…?” My boyfriend casually dropped his comment just as my mind processed his words. “Seems like someone isn’t up for compliments this morning.”

 

“I’m sorry…” I unfolded my arms, hands covering my face. “I didn’t sleep a wink last night so I know how ugly I look right now.”

 

A pair of hands removed my own from my face and Yixing-oppa’s warm voice enveloped me in its heat, effectively relaxing me and I reflexively leaned against his frame. “You’re always beautiful, dear. You’re never ugly.”

 

I didn’t believe him, after all I know myself better than he does. But his tone was so sincere, it hurts.

 

“Hyung, stop it.” Chanyeol-oppa warned from the driver’s seat as he pulled out of the driveway. “I’m going to punch you if you keep up this mushy stuff.”

 

“And in his car, no less.” Jongdae-oppa seconded from the passenger seat.

 

Yixing-oppa sulked, as he pointedly slumped in his seat and I had to stifle a chuckle for the boy seemed so adorable at that moment.

 

“Sera, I’m warning you too.” My brother’s almost-inaudible mutter travelled to my ears and I glanced at him. “Stop being so mushy in front of your poor, single-as-hell brother.”

 

I bit back laughter as I saluted.

 

“Yes, single-sshi.”



 

“You didn’t sleep at all last night because you were thinking about Jieun’s matter,” My brother swung an arm around me after we bade goodbye to the others. Kai-oppa caught up to us, sandwiching me and I struggled under the weight of both their arms. Of course, I wasn’t since my vampiric strength kept me from collapsing but the human students need not know.

 

“You’re good, brother.”

 

“Excuse you, who do you think you’re talking to?” He grinned and I wanted to slap it off his face but his same-aged friend was much faster than I was. Sehun-oppa scowled but made no move to retaliate. “I’m your brother.”

I sighed, and a hand found its place atop of my head.

"If it bothers you that much, just forget what we had discussed yesterday.” Kai-oppa whispered, a patronising smile plastered onto his face as female students entered our peripheral visions. I rolled my eyes whilst my brother scoffed when the boy winked at a rather pretty student who, of course, blushed deeply. “We can't confirm anything yet so don't worry too much about it.”

 

It’s easy for you to say...

 

“You’re not the one having trouble sleeping…” I muttered as my classroom loomed into view and the sudden thought of having to see her struck, causing my nerves to tremble.

 

“Sis, it’s alright.” Sehun-oppa waved the playboy away, and he bent down slightly to meet my eyes. “Just treat her like you normally would. After all, she might suspect something if you suddenly treat her coldly, right?”

 

He cupped my cheek and his thumb lightly caressed it. “We’re here, so don’t you worry.”

 

I nodded and my brother whirled me around, making me face the door. I gulped, my heart racing but it was a different kind of acceleration from the ones that Yixing-oppa always sends me into.

 

“Sis…”

 

“I’m going, I’m going.” I placed my hand on the handle and bravely slid it open, expecting a girl to throw herself at me.

 

But nothing happened. Only a breeze of cold air blew at me and some smiles directed at me from my classmates.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter