Chapter Thirty-Eight

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Jieun]

 

“Jieun?”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“Aren’t you going to lead me to the dining room…?”

 

“O-Oh yeah.” Her face gradually sharpened in my field of vision and I rubbed the nape of my neck embarrassingly. “Here, this way.”

 

Seeing Sera in person, in my house, proved to be a wonderful surprise for me.

 

I knew she was the one the moment I laid my eyes on her. Of course, I don’t mean it in a romantic manner. My gut just knew that we would be the best of friends, and over the months of being with her, I have grown to like her; love her even. She isn’t like my previous friends, those superficial hypocrites who think I’m rich and powerful like they were; getting close to me on the pretext of wanting to be friends when all they wanted was to know how much wealth my family own.

 

“I’m an orphan. My family isn’t that rich.”

 

And they left.

 

However, Sera was different. The moment I stepped into the auditorium on the first day of school, the pull my legs felt when they brought me to her, the instance my eyes flitted to her cold, hard eyes; I knew she differed vastly from the other students in the school.

 

"Your house is pretty big."

 

"Oh, it's not. My dad just makes enough to scrape by life and send me to that rich sorry excuse of a school." I shrugged, the fact about our school slipping out of my mouth smoothly. It is true, and always will be. The school that we attend together is nothing but a money- facility. Goodness knows why my dad still sends me there after all these years.

 

She chuckled, and we turned the corner to slip ourselves into the dining room.

 

"Daddy, I brought her here."

 

My father lifted his head up from the salad bowl he was holding, the leafy greens spilling out of the wooden bowl as he mixed them.

 

"Mr Kim, nice to meet you."

 

"There's no need to be polite, dear. Just call me uncle." He winked and I rolled my eyes dramatically. "Jieun! How could you roll your eyes at me!"

 

"Because I can, daddy, and I will." I stuck out my tongue and Sera snickered. "Sit down, Sera."

 

The three of us tucked in, and Sera seemed to be extremely hungry. She wolfed down her bowl of salad, chopped up her steak with vigour, and slurped the kimchi soup with a vengeance.

 

I found her ravenous way of eating (and appetite) so amusing, my father needed to remind me to stop staring at my best friend and to eat my dinner.

 

"You look at her everyday in school, isn't it enough for you my dear?"

 

I shook my head, and replied jokingly. "Daddy, I might just want to marry her."

 

He mock gasped, eliciting laughter from my best friend and the room filled with joy.

 

"So Sera, I have heard a lot of stories from Jieun about you. You seem to have found your long lost brother?" Sera nodded her head, spooning fried rice into her open mouth. "And, what about your family?"

 

"Yes, I've reunited with them and they are fine. Thanks for your concern uncle." Sera smiled.

 

"Dad, you know, you have been talking to Sera the whole time. I am here too..." I pouted. I have to admit, I was jealous. The way they interacted with each other, the way my father's eyes glinted whenever she spoke; heck, I saw genuine happiness when Sera first stepped into the room. I've never seen that level of delight before in my father, never.

 

And somehow, I don't feel too good about it.

 

"Oh? But I know all about you. It isn't a crime to get to know your friend. Unless… unless… You're jealous." He teased.

 

"J-Jealous? Oh pleeeease... Not at all." I waved my hands dismissively, a slight frown on my face.

 

Sera and my father exchanged a knowing look and they burst out laughing.

 

Harrumph! The nerve of them.


 

“My dad seems to adore you a lot,” I slipped my hand into Sera’s and I led her away from the dining room, where my father insisted he’d do the dishes while I hang out with my best friend. “It’s weird, but I guess it’s good.”

 

“Don’t be jealous, Jieun ah.” Her face appeared in my narrow line of sight, a small smile forming. “You are his daughter, and no other girl can replace you.”

 

“Well, I’m technically not his daughter. I’m adopted.”

 

She grew silent, and I realised that we’ve arrived at my room. Pushing the door open, we stepped inside and simultaneously gravitated towards my bed.

 

“You were adopted when you were…”

 

“Seven.” I breathed, my heart thumping. I was afraid, frightened really, at what she would think of me; that I was an orphan and didn’t have parents to call my own in my childhood. “My parents died when I was six.”

 

I felt her hand on mine, and it instinctively clenched itself.

 

“Jieun… I’m not going to leave you because of this.” Her fingers pried my fist apart, and they slipped themselves between the gaps of my fingers. “I’m a friend, I won’t do that. I’m not like them es in your past.”

 

“I–”

 

“You stayed with me, despite knowing that I was alone when we first met each other. And now, I’m going to do the same.” The back of my hand felt warmth, and I glanced down to find that her other hand was enveloping my trembling one.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter