Chapter Fifteen

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sehun]

 

What…? Wait… Tell me I didn’t hear it wrongly. She’s d-d-d..

 

“Yes, I’m dying”

 

Once again, her tears fell uncontrollably and she was trembling. My eyes caught the minute shaking — her hands, her lips, her eyes. Embracing my mother was my father who seemed calm but his orbs betrayed the shock he felt.

 

Omma, why didn't you tell us...

 

In all these years, her portrayal of a cheerful and playful Queen and mother never seemed to expose any signs of her life being threatened or even a tad bit of her being uncomfortable. Her acting, cover, was that excellent to the point that it fooled her husband, her friends, and her son.

 

Gazing at the woman before me, legs crossed and whose fingers I've just noticed had grown bony wiped her tears away, my heart ached. The childish, full of aegyo yet strong mother and Matriach of all vampires seemed so vastly different from from what she was now — weak and fragile. A single blow could do her in and end her life.

 

I swallowed.

 

How could I have not noticed or even felt the changes in her, my own mother...

 

Unconsciously, tears spilled from my eyes and as though controlled by a remote control, my legs moved on its own, bringing me up to her throne. Releasing my clenched fists, I wrapped my arms around her.

 

The room lapsed into silence. Only the inconsistent sounds of my mother sobbing and sniffling echoed within the large room. The chandelier swayed as a light breeze infiltrated the seemingly enclosed area and the glow that shone down on us shifted left, right, left, right.

 

My mother must have found solace in the consistent movement of the chandelier's light. Her eyes followed the movement, darting in between Zitao and Chanyeol whose faces alternated between dark and bright.

 

She calmed down and I could hear and feel her heart gradually returning to its normal pace.

 

None of us spoke. Her confession had caught us off guard. The pain we all feel is raw and it felt like someone had rubbed salt in the existing wound that was inflicted by my mother's recollection of how Sera was lost.

 

I had my arms around her as I bent down while my hands constantly her hair and patted her back. Her head moved under my chin and I knew she was alright, albeit still sniffling.

 

Returning to my seat below her, her fingers grazed mine and the unspoken words warmed my icy heart.

 

Thank you, my son.

 

Inhaling, my mother continued.

 

"Although your Uncle Hanxi had healed me completely, I know my body condition the best. Over the years, I've realized that I can never get as lively as before, prior to the attack, and my vampiric abilities are weakening as time goes by." Her eyes slowly dragged from my father's to mine, as she tried to convey the remorse and guilt she was feeling to us. "I never wanted to hide anything from you two, I swear! But I really didn't want the both of you to worry..."

 

She glanced cautiously at her husband, whose face softened and he planted a kiss on her forehead. The King has forgiven. She then looked to me as I ruffled my hair in frustration.

 

"Appa has already accepted your apology, so how could I not..."

 

As though all burden had been lifted from her, the Queen's mood brightened and almost instantly, the smile I used to see on her returned. Tears no longer escaped her eyes and they now reflect the joy and relief in her. The atmosphere in the Thro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter