Chapter Forty-Six

V for Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sera]

 

If I said that I wasn't afraid, I'd be lying.

 

As my fingertip stabbed at his chest, I could feel every part of my body flinching, wincing, shuddering in fear. The physical contact with this man, with this evil being who claimed to be my uncle, absolutely frightened me. Our relationship, the fact that we're blood-related irks me and a growing need to vomit rose up my throat.

 

But I stood strong. I stood proudly, confidently in front of him. I hadn't betrayed a single ounce of my inner feelings, the storm within. I was calm, I was collected.

 

Yet that man was the same, despite my scare tactics.

 

“What a strong girl you’ve grown up to be.” He caressed my cheek, effectively sending me on edge as a frightful shiver sped down my spine. “You grew up beautifully too; just like your mother.”

 

"Don't talk about my mother like you know her." I snarled, my tone as scathing as it could be. I smacked his hand away hard, my upper lip curled upwards to show my elongated canines. To show my extreme displeasure. "Because I know you sure as hell don't know her."

 

I half-expected a frown to form on his face, but the man's expression remained indifferent. “Oooh, feisty. Just like your mother.”

 

I had this huge hunch that he kept mentioning my mother on purpose. As though he knew this was the way to get me enraged, to push me over the edge.

 

And he was right. I was furious, my mind not willing to allow his mouth, his voice, his anything to have anything to do with my mother. With my family. I knew that I would be falling into his trap the moment I retaliate, but I couldn't resist. I was weak against things that concern my family.

 

"I told you, don't speak of my mother like you know her!"

 

With a speed as quick as lightning, I landed a deep cut on his forearm, drawing blood that first appeared in beads, before flowing out more freely.

 

The stench of his blood filled the space, and I regretted inhaling. His blood stinks; it reeks so badly of evil. I resisted my breathing reflex, constantly reminding myself to not breathe. My eyes narrowed when the wound began to heal, new skin pulling over the old one. Damn, I forgot that he's like me.

 

Vampires that weren't in the warehouse when I first arrived, sprang out of their hiding places. I wasn't in the least shocked. What's an evil mastermind without his henchmen, right? I tensed myself, expecting them to come flying at me but the man held his hand up, that disgusting smirk still etched so firmly on his face.

 

“Let’s not crowd around my dear niece, yes?” The corners of his lips flew upwards, escalating into a greasy laugh that caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand. “I haven’t seen her for such a long time so shouldn’t I take a good look at her?"

 

At his words, the vampires retreated to the space behind Jieun though their bodies remained tense.

 

His eyes were still fixated on me, that smirk on his manic face, taunting me, enticing me. “Now now now, let me see what you’ve got.”

 

My jaw tightened. This... man! As much as I wanted to rip off his irritating face off his neck, my eyes unconsciously drifted as I took into consideration of the girl who was watching the entire scene.

 

Even though he is evil; even though he was the one responsible for the initial wreckage of my family; even though he was the one who caused me to be separated from my family for more than a decade — he still is the person who brought up Jieun.

 

And being the best friend of his ex-daughter, I definitely don’t want her to witness the gruesome death of her childhood benefactor.

 

A slow crooked grin formed on his face when he noticed my gaze that bypassed him. "Ah, I see that you're still a soft-hearted girl.” I dragged my eyes painfully back to him, glaring murderously. "You'll never be someone powerful if you are soft, my dear niece."

 

On the chair, Jieun laughed out loud exaggeratingly, throwing her head back. “Powerful? Someone like you is powerful?” As quick as her laughter came, it subsided just as fast as a deep scowl appeared, her brows furrowing and from where I stood, I could feel her anger and pity rolling off her. “Someone like you who used the trust of your family to gain power will never be powerful!”

 

A dazzling smile then replaced the scowl, her eyes staring at mine. “Don’t worry about me, Sera. Do what you need to do.”

 

Those eyes that seemed to pierced through me exposed the inner fear that the owner was trying to hide. She’s afraid, she’s frightened for perhaps her safety as well as mine. She could also be afraid of what I am, and what I am not. But as these assumptions surfaced in my mind, there was only one thing that I was certain of.

 

You can do it, Oh Sera.

 

Through the broken windows of the warehouse, the sun warned me of its imminent descent beyond the horizon as the sky gradually turned into various shades of amber. The evening brought about a cool breeze that somehow made its way into the space, whipping my hair gently, strands grazing the sides of my face.

 

The atmosphere became tense, electricity tingled in the air. The two of us, royal vampires, knew what was to come. There was no avoiding it. It is necessary, it is essential, it is a must.

 

It’s time.

 

I was alone.

 

I was afraid.

 

I was at an extreme disadvantage here. But the thought, the motive of coming here, of saving Jieun and bringing her back to us spurred me on. It eliminated the fear, and threw away all of my insecurities.

 

Here I go.

 

Expecting him to strike first, I poised my body, my mind cueing my body parts to come alive and retaliate the moment he strikes. All the while, I forced myself to stare at those unblinking, black eyes of his.

 

“Fall.”

 

He smiled.

 

“Fall.”

 

He smirked.

 

“FALL!”

 

He laughed.

 

“Trying to control me? You’re failing badly, my dear niece.” He was amused. He was ing amused at my sudden inability.

 

Why? Why isn’t my ability working on him?!

 

“Didn’t your father or mother ever tell you about me?” A fake pout formed and my chest contracted. He looked so disgusting, he sounded disgusting as well. “Aww, it’s okay, you’ll find out in a minute.”

 

In a split second, he moved right in front of me and he was so close to me I could f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter